logo

Fraudalent Practices

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Barclay Card US, Wlimington, Delaware Complaints & Reviews - APPLE's unholy alliance

Barclay Card US Contacts & Informations

Barclay Card US

Posted:    GT59

APPLE's unholy alliance

Barclay Card US
Wlimington, Delaware
Barclay card has an alliance with APPLE to finance their products sold to students and the public at large. They are a scam artist posing as a bank. Do not let them steal from you. You can find better financing. Their idea is to offer you "deferred interest" on your MAC or Apple device. They make it nearly impossible to determine when your intro period is up and then hit you for a huge interest payment the day it expires. No email, no notice, just a huge bill added to an already hefty over-priced gadget. Apple is intmately involved with this and knows what is going on. DO NOT USE THE BARCLAY CARD FINANCING UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET SCREWED!! Don't let your students fall prey to them. I would suggest going as far as boycotting Apple's products as they are overpriced versus PCs and are sorely lacking in connectivity and comapatibiltiy with many wireless systems everywhere. My kid can't connect to half the routers out there with his sMACBOOK. Now on top of that he is eating a huge interest charge that amounts to about a third of the purchase price of his machine. Never again and I will never stop advising anyone I can to avoid doing business with Barclay US. Pure evil in the credit card world and Apple is married to them. Beware the Barclay Card
Comments United States Business & Finances
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More Barclay Card US complaints
Barclay Card US - Worst customer service

Comments

1st of Dec, 2010 by   Jeff Bronstein +1 Votes
Avoid this card company AT ALL COSTS! If the alternative to buying a new Apple product with this card was a used HP... consider yourself WAY ahead. The absolute abserd terms of use on this card far outweigh ANY potential buying power offered its user.
 1st of Dec, 2010 by   GT59 0 Votes
Agreed one hundred and fifty percent. Barclays is a baneful predator on the student and parent population and APPLE is intimately involved with them. Buy HP or any other PC before going down this teacherous and deceptive road. APPLE is foolish to continue to asscociate with them. Jobs needs to cut them off before the consumers cut him off.
 2nd of Feb, 2011 by   hawaiikone 0 Votes
Absolutely agree.
Their customer service is the worst I've dealt with. Trained to refuse any fee refunding, or to allow you to even speak to anyone else.
Best to avoid them altogether, or immediately pay off any outstanding and cancel their "services".
 2nd of Feb, 2011 by   GT59 0 Votes
Barclay's is Pure Evil. Another fine example of the greed and avarice that led us to the current economic conditions. Barclays is preying on the masses of wounded consumers. They're greedy and unscrupulous carion picking at the struggling flesh of the young, inexperienced, and vulnerable. Barclays is to be avoided and feared and their partners such as APPLE should be boycotted and shunned in the marketplace
 2nd of Feb, 2011 by   GT59 0 Votes
While I appreciate your understanding of the technology, (and admit you could probably give these MAC folks lessons in how to work their equipment), I am focused on the business relationship between BARCLAYS BANK and APPLE. I could care less about APPLE's technology. They are in bed with a BANK. While they are in bed with that particular BANK, I am suggesting they be punished in the marketplace by the consumers the BANK preys on. Whether an APPLE device can connect to anything is less relevant but it is a fact that I have witnessed at Tech. Those little geniuses will tell you this is the case anywhere outside of their CISCO powered campus. Very frustrating to them. I personally will never have any one of their devices again if they continue to do business with the BANK. Techno is not my concern. BANKING is. Financial relationships are. Voting with your wallet is the most effective way to change a business and its relationship to other players. One wallet at a time. I refuse to do business with anyone who uses BARCLAYS as their financing partner.
 10th of Feb, 2011 by   jemilli 0 Votes
Exact same experience. They made it impossible to check our account online and hence hit us up for huge finance charge since we underpaid by $148 due to lack of access to our own account. Complete assholes on the phone, the woman almost laughed and she basically said, "sorry but you lose out."
 18th of Mar, 2011 by   jjerez 0 Votes
I never in my 35 years into credit card experience ever experienced so bad customer service and un-human response from this company. They not even care about you as customer.
their resonses are "can" pre-set responses like they not even ready your e-mails or complains.
I canceled and no longer will recomended it. I a not sure you will be able to ready my attachment but that will explain.
 18th of Mar, 2011 by   jemilli 0 Votes
I reported them to the better business bureau and that is why someone fr the executive office gave me a call and resolved everything. We did receive a very inhuman response letter earlier that stated they would do nothing. So I reccommend the BBB all the way.
 24th of Mar, 2011 by   ManInCOS 0 Votes
I had a Frontier Airlines Visa Card, issued by Barclay. I had a balance on this card (that I payed each month on-time) and they jacked their interest rate from around 9% to 21% without much notice. When I called and inquired about this they said they did it because they can. I have a stellar credit score (740+), I pay on-time etc so this was just a flat out ripoff. They did the same on my Wife's card the next month. I have several credit cards with other companies and none of them have ever pulled this type of scam.

I paid my card and my wife's card off and closed both accounts. I will never do business with Barclay's again nor with any company that uses them as their finance company. Barclay's is a flat out unethical company.
 11th of Apr, 2011 by   friendlyconsumer007 0 Votes
Barclay Juniper does nothing obvious on their terms and conditions that they will charge you all the back interest if you do not pay off the full amount in one year. Also, when my year ended they charged 7% higher interest rate than my other lines of credit. Beware.
 12th of May, 2011 by   Justboughtamac 0 Votes
Sadly I didn't stumble upon this forum until just now (2 weeks after opening my account) and you guys are making me quite nervous about it even though I always pay my accounts on time. I now plan on accelerating my payments and closing the account. I just wanted to take advantage of the 0% interest.
 20th of May, 2011 by   Ahoo 0 Votes
I wish I would have done some research about them before. I am a victim of their scam and I have got the whole year interest to pay just for 50$ remaining. I wouldn't hesitate, If I could do any thing to make people aware of their plan.
 22nd of Feb, 2012 by   mattfrompitt +1 Votes
I don't understand, honestly. Unless everyone on here has some scam, has missed a payment, does not follow the program rules, I can't understand all the negative comments.

I applied when I purchased my MacBook Pro, was approved, and enjoyed the deferred interest. It is crystal clear if you read the disclosure -- which most people don't -- about the length of the deferral period.

Further, I find it incredulous the person who said that Barclaycard blocked access to their account online. Again... Unless something shady was going on, I can't understand it. I log in all the time and this morning, asked a question of Customer Service. By 4 PM, EST, I had an answer.

So, I'm hard pressed to see what is wrong with this bank? Everything is disclosed up front -- terms, interest, deferral periods -- and at the end of the day, when you pay off your Apple equipment, you have a great VISA card.
 17th of May, 2012 by   Vigilant60606 -1 Votes
I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment in many of these posts. We had the misfortune to become Barclays customers when we signed up for Apple credit. We now feel that Barclays is a company that tries to fleece customers with unjust fees by any means necessary. Here's what happened... In order to make sure we're never late on payments, we pre-programmed our bank to send in all payments according to the schedule in the contract we originally signed with Barclays. At some point, Barclays raised this payment by $5 without notifying us (although they claimed they did). We were immediately assessed a $25 fee, despite sending in the $5 difference on the same day we learned about it. But no amount of pleading would get them to reverse this fee. Their attitude was, "Too bad. You signed a contract and it was our right to charge these fees. Just read fine print. It doesn't matter what's fair or what your intentions were. We got you on the fine print and we'll stick it to you." (I'm paraphrasing, of course.) I would think that they would value the customer enough to not lose them over $25.

On a somewhat related issue, I've already complained to Barclays that payments made to them electronically take much longer to post than to any other financial institution we've done business with. We're used to electronic payments posting within 24 to 48 hours. At Barclays, it could take up to a week. Unfortunately, we weren't able to find out whether this is a result of incompetence or done deliberately to rack up more fees.
 17th of May, 2012 by   Vigilant60606 0 Votes
More information about misdeeds of Barklay's at these websites:
* http://www.consumeraffairs.com/credit_cards/barclays.html
* http://www.bbb.org/delaware/Business-Reviews/banks/barclays-bank-delaware-in-wilmington-de-22002677/complaints

I really hope Apple drops Barclay's and finds a company with integrity and the customers interests in mind.
 15th of Feb, 2013 by   Frustratedtodeath 0 Votes
I've been calling this card to have them close my account. They would put me on hold for a long time and I would get tired of waiting for like 5 minutes while they read their notes or study what to do next! Because I hang-up on them (both on purpose and inadvertently this last time) this last agent that I talked to (Windy or Wendy) decided to block my card. She then put on the notes that I had to go to a bank, go out of my way, bring an Id and make a cash advance. It's just a waste of my time for just closing this account! I called their complaint department but put me on hold for like 20 minutes!!! I was getting frustrated for me to really wait that long! Screw this card! I will breath a lot easier once this account is closed!!! Even closing is a pain!!! Stupid agents!
 15th of Feb, 2013 by   Frustratedtodeath 0 Votes
In addition, I totally agree to what everybody was saying: (1) It takes a lot longer for them to process payment, which I suspect is to charge us more fees (or worse, just plain incompetence and inefficiency); (2) they couldn't even explicitly put on their statements when/what the interest/finance charges are for the old purchase of Apple account when you purchase new goods. I warn everybody!!! Don't ever, ever, ever use this card!!!
 19th of Feb, 2013 by   Manager319 0 Votes
DO NOT USE THIS CARD! I'll try and keep it brief. Used this card to purchase Apple equipment. Qualified for their 18 month financing. Never received a bill. I was waiting for a paper statement that had the mailing address so I could input it into my auto payment option from my bank. 6 weeks go by. I call the automated teller and am informed that my bill is due THAT DAY. I made an auto payment over the phone immediately. As it was a Saturday, I called the following Monday and a representative told me that my bills were probably 'lost in the mail' as the USPS is so bad these days. Really? I never have any problem receiving any other bills, or their endless attempts to get me to use the card, including increasing my credit line. She told me the late fee would be taken off and that my 18 month no interest financing was still intact. Ten days later, I get my FIRST statement. No late fee reflected, but I am being charged interest at the rate of 22% (when there should be none) and upon calling the automated number informed I am late again and charged a late fee. Got through to another representative who I suggested that if he needed to, he should get me a supervisor as I expected resolution. That supervisor listened patiently and was polite, but stammered about and talked about errors on the routing numbers on my account, not sure what happened, etc etc...Made another payment over the phone. He said he would reverse any late fees, but would have to turn my account over to some advisory board to see if I still had my 18 month no interest financing. What is going on? Send me a bill and I pay it. I shouldn't have to call the number on the back of the card to find out when my payment is due even before I receive my first statement! Banks are required to send you a statement at least 21 days prior to payment due date. He didn't even question whether or not I got a bill. He didn't seem surprised. Wrong routing number? 2 late fees and 22% interest? Lost in the mail? Advisory board? Three representatives? I made this purchase 2 MONTHS AGO to the day! I was told to call back on March 1 to find out the resolution. Having read the previous comments, I think that the financing is a scam and that they use all these tactics to get you to charge your purchase and then make it nearly impossible to maintain the interest free financing. I feel badly for the next person I get on the phone. I repeat. DO NOT USE THIS CARD. So much for brevity.
 29th of Apr, 2013 by   Lyndzey 08 0 Votes
You are all clearly not reading the terms and conditions. You know upfront that you have 12 months to pay off your purchase. It clearly states the EXACT expiration date of the"deferred financing promotion" and it tells you exactly how much is left unpaid on the promotion and it tells you how much interest had accrued so far so if you choose to not pay it off you know how much interest you are looking at. This box with all this information is normally on page 3 of your statement. The box is called "deferred financing promotion". None of you would have these problems if you use credit cards responsibly.
 8th of May, 2013 by   John100729 0 Votes
I just purchased an Apple iMac in March with the Barclay Card and I have no problems whatsoever connecting to wifi with in. However, Apples motto is interest free for one year with the Barclay Card. Since I have purchased the iMac 2 months ago, I have been hit with interest. Talk about lying to someone to get them to buy an Apple product then screw them over. Anyway, I have called them on this on numerous occasions and yet nothing has been fixed. I'm now on my second bill from Barclay with yet again interest tact on. First guy tells me 7 to 10 days before your complaint is resolved, which means my finance charges will be wiped clean and my last bill fixed. Second guy tells me 7 to 10 days but no more than 30 days and this months bill adjusted in 24 hours and still nothing resolved, yet when I log in to my account I still see no changes and my bills do in a week.. If after I pay this next bill and it's still not resolved, I will return my mac and I will get a refund... I even complained to Apple about this to which they replied we have nothing to do with this... But they do have something to do with telling little white lies to get their products purchased... I should have just went through Best Buy. It's 2 years interest free through them..

Forced Arbitration Fading