logo

Their guarantee is fraud

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Barbizon model center, Miami, Florida Complaints & Reviews - They are CONS...

Barbizon model center Contacts & Informations

Barbizon model center

Posted:    Mercy

They are CONS...

Barbizon model center
45683 sw 43 tr.
Miami, Florida
Phone: 30502256851
Barbizon is a complete waste of mine and everybody's time...
They make you come into there little auditioning to look and judge you. After that they say you have so much potential. Thats just them sweet talking you so they can pull as much money as they can . trust me you dont want to deal with these people. Their all FAKE!
Comments United States SMS Scam Contests
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

21st of Jul, 2008 by   Mercy 0 Votes
Barbizon is a complete waste of mine and everybody's time...
 22nd of Sep, 2008 by   Brittany 0 Votes
I completely agree. Barbizon is a complete scam. First of all, they make you audition in a hotel room and talk about their so called "agency". The woman who was the host told us how she used to model and now she is an actress. She was most likely lying. If she was really an actress she wouldn't still be going to Barbizon to learn about acting jobs. They tell you that people like Sean Faris and David Archuleta went to Barbizon. Yeah...okay. They also show you a cheap DVD that probably is bad quality, most likely because they put a bunch of scenes together and none of the people that they showed on that DVD are people that they worked with I bet. When they first call, they tell you it doesn't cost any money, but when you get their they use their "marketing strategy" so you can pay to go to their school. (The talent scouts may try to look all fancy but in reality they're probably people who couldn't get into the modeling or acting divisonThey probably don't even have an agency division of their school because:
1. Why don't they have a list of clients on their website?
2. Why don't their models have comp cards on their website?
3. Why do they mainly adverstise their school and not the agency division?
Obviously, they're money comes from the school, and they get paid on commission. The more people they scam, the merrier. They try to make it seem like some people no nothing about modeling, when in reality they make a bunch of nonsense terms up to make it seem like you need to go their school. Don't go to these people because they're a huge SCAM!!! I'm glad I didn't sign a contract with them. This is something that parents and potential models/actors should think about.
 27th of Sep, 2008 by   Charles +2 Votes
"trust me you dont want to deal with these people. Their all FAKE!"-

There is a huge problem in this world and it is people that are so negative, like the both of you. I went to Barbizon myself, in San Francisco, and learned the basics of modeling and acting. I got exactly what I paid for and Im 1000% happy with it. I'm not sure about the other Barbizons, so correct me if I'm wrong, at my audition with them they had a presentation and in it they stated that they do not guarantee work. In fact they emphasized it. They also emphasized that they were training, not representation. Although they did help me find my manager and the two agents followed. Maybe in your presentation they didn't emphasize it but that is a fact. It is general knowledge that there are no guarantees in the entertainment industry. No one is ever guaranteed anything when it comes to modeling and acting no matter who you are. You may be a famous actor but that doesn't mean you are guaranteed to always be successful and to be a good actor. In order to be successful in this world you must learn and practice what you are doing. You can pay people to help you, YES, you can get help for free but at the end of the day it is up to YOU to put yourself out there and be successful. I have been modeling and acting on the side for 6 months now and have made quite a bit of money. Every month I get a residual check form the one commercial I did for about $2, 000 from the first commercial I booked. And I will say this with no regret, that if it wasn't for Barbizon of San Francisco and the loving support they gave me I would not be successful in this industry on my own.

"The woman who was the host told us how she used to model and now she is an actress. She was most likely lying. If she was really an actress she wouldn't still be going to Barbizon to learn about acting jobs. "

From what I know a lot of people that work at Barbizon have modeling and acting backgrounds. That means they have gotten modeling and acting jobs, that does NOT meant they are famous, it just means they have more knowledge of the industry than the average Jane! How can you say she was most likely lying when you don't know. And yes she is probably at Barbizon trying to help other young individuals who want to learn or enter the industry like me. I don't think she was there for training, more like there to train. Does that make sense? Why would Barbizon employ someone who has experience as a chef or a massage therapist? Duh.

"Why don't they have a list of clients on their website?"

Look again they do... Sean Farris and David Archuletta went to Barbizon, David Archuletta was on American Idol when I was enrolled in Barbizon and the staff was always talking about it... seeing someone who came from one of the Schools and is becoming famous. I also know that Lyndsy Fonseca, Carmen Electra, Ryan Phillipe, Katie Holmes, Elijah Wood, Jessica Biel and many other went to Barbizon. Try doing a google search with their names and Barbizon.

"They make you come into there little auditioning to look and judge you. After that they say you have so much potential."

I remember my interview and they did say I had potential, no disagreement there. This is because they believed in me just like they believe in everyone, its called giving someone confidence. It places like Barbizon that change people with low self esteem and stop kids from committing suicide. I'm happy that they helped me with my confidence and I have the ability to say NOW LOOK, I'm living on my own, going to college full time with hopes to be a doctor (and no one will tell me I can't) and working on the side. I have a brand new BMW convertible, a gorgeous girlfriend and more than I could ever want.

So you probably wonder why I wrote this, you probably think that I work for Barbizon but I don't. The reason I wrote this is because Barbizon of San Francisco and the family that runs it (yes it is family owned and ran) and the staff are like my family. I have stayed in contact for years and visit when Im back up there. They have always helped me when possible and I owe it all to them. I heard about some complaints found this on the internet and am passionate about letting people hear the other side. Sorry if other people have different opinions but you should speak for yourself. You had a bad experience, maybe with someone who had money symbols in their eyes and not simply the demeanor of helping people. I know that the principles of Barbizon are to help young individuals pursue something in modeling and acting but that is not just it, its to help with confidence which is the biggest tool in life. There is no way you can go to an audition without believing in yourself. Im disgusted by people thinking that they are guaranteed something. You always hear all the negative and none of the positive. Well here is some of the positive real TRUTH.
 12th of Oct, 2008 by   Brittany 0 Votes
This is to Charles...Actually, they are a scam and your probably a scout anyway. There is nothing wrong with telling the truth, which is that they are a scam, thank you very much.
 14th of Oct, 2008 by   Catherine 0 Votes
i dont understand why 'charles' has to be a 'scout' just because he doesnt agree with you;&+ you dont know him &+ you dont know which barbizon he went to;all of you doggin on barbizon;you need to grow up &+ get over it if you got played.
 15th of Oct, 2008 by   Brittany 0 Votes
If someone knows that an agency is a scam there is nothing wrong with that. You can't criticize people because of an experience that they went through. Do you know how many models nowadays are taken advantage of because some people are just in it for the money? I'm sure you have been through a bad experience and you were mad also. Everyone has the right to express their own opinion, and if you don't agree with it...well that's your own idea on the issue but don't tell people to "get over it" because until you've gone through it you don't know. I'm not trying to give you an attitude, I'm just saying that you need to respect other people's opinions.
 15th of Oct, 2008 by   Dee 0 Votes
I am on the fence about starting classes at Barbizon. I was all for it and was even willing to pay for classes if that came up for the 2nd call back which they did call back. After the 2nd interveiw I felt like I could be the next big star and that I had a great chance in modeling & acting (due to the scout), but the scout said I had to start right away with the classes because they are not always excepting students and I had to pay the tuition of $1395.00. I was willing to pay like I said before but she told me before I could start 425.00 had to be paid then 65.00 their after for EACH class session until graduation. This is not what I was willing to pay. I'm starting to fell that this just isn't worth it!
 5th of Nov, 2008 by   Sonya +1 Votes
I just made an investment in my child's future and enrolled her in Barbizon. First of all, I would like to say she is beautiful and has the height and body of a runway model, and that is what she wants to be. She doesn't know anything about the modeling industry, how to CORRECTLY walk, how to apply makeup in various ways, how to get over the jitters when doing an interview, and other important factors she may need to be competitive. We decided to take a realistic look at what her future may hold in a modeling career. At the end of her training at Barbizon she will not be a supermodel, she probably will not be modeling in Milan, and she may not even land a big modeling job with a well known company. What she will have is a foundation to start with, confidence to go out and compete for what she wants, and most importantly, some KNOWLEDGE of her chosen career path. Do I think she will eventually become successful? YOU BET!! If she is able to go out and make enough money to take care of herself while she is pursuing her college degree (her plan "B" because you always should have a prepared back up plan) and she happens to stumble across her dream, I am happy. One day at a time people, take one day at a time and your dreams can come true (Plan "A" or Plan "B"). To be successful at anything you have to start with the inside of you and work your way outward.
 8th of Nov, 2008 by   Rob 0 Votes
I can't agree or disagree with anyone being a 42 year old male. However Barbizon has had a cart in the shopping mall where I work. They've been interviewing girls for this and said they would fly them free of charge and get them free photo's ect... according to one of the girls working the cart.

I was really caught back with fear when they said they'd fly them free to somewhere. I distinctly got the image of human trafficing. I have feelings that this is a front for someone Turkish or Arab King in the Middle-East attempting to pick some girls for his harem.

They probably dress them up take photos and send them to the Kings the Kings then say which one they want and then they are flown out of the country. They are virtually kidnapped and the local authorities cannot stop them because of diplomatic law. Once the girl is on the plane she's history.

See this link describing what happened to a former Miss USA.

www.sauduction.com/12issue.html
 8th of Nov, 2008 by   Rob 0 Votes
Correction! Do not stop them because of diplomatic immunity
 23rd of Nov, 2008 by   David Lawrence +1 Votes
The Barbizon school has been in business since 1939 and is the most reputable in training for the performing arts. One only has to read their web site that clearly states their mission statement of training. A school cannot select talent for Modeling or acting only the the writer or photo editor has that control. Agents and Managers have the job of representing trained and prepared talent and arranging for auditions. It is not possible to work in the entertainment industry without training. Models and actors are made not born. Each and every talent that you see working as a model or actor has had training and they continue to train through out their entire career. Those who become angry and sour about not working have unrealistic expectations for themselves, schools and agents. Industry professionals have no use for these types of malcontents, as there is a line of happy, well mannered talent to fill the spots. It is what is on the inside that is more important than the outside. On Barbizon's web site it clearly list all the national clients that have hired Barbizon grads.You see them every day in ads, hear them on the radio, TV and staring in Feature films. Most Barbizon schools are licensed by the state department of education which would not allow the exploitation of any minor. Those who become successful in the entertainment industry take from each teacher and audition experience and understand that if another opportunity comes up they act in a way that they would be considered in the future and not become angry.
 29th of Jan, 2009 by   ConcernedParent 0 Votes
I put myself through college at an agency like Barbizon. My job was to sell classes. I told every young girl and her mother that we were going to teach them poise, confidence, runway skills, how to apply makeup, etc. "Of course we can never guarantee that anyone will get modeling jobs, but many of our students have gone on to model - look at their pictures on my wall." It's a pretty easy sell in most cases, as every girl and her mom wants "the dream." It really didn't matter if they ever had a chance to model, we just had to keep filling up those classes.
The business really bothers me. I modeled myself, as well as worked in the agency. I saw creepy photographers talking young girls into posing for really inappropriate photos. I saw 19 year old male models talking young 15 year old models with stars in their eyes into bed.
I know it's not all this way, and there are success stories. I just caution you, parents. I have daughters now. I would NEVER expose them to these types of schools. My daughters are beautiful, and if they come to me and tell me they want to model, I'll hire a photographer to take some fantastic shots of them (with me there) and I'll make the rounds to the established agencies in town myself, with them. I truly feel that any established agency will give me an honest opinion if my daughter has the look they are seeking. If so, they will tell me what she needs to do to get work.
 6th of Feb, 2009 by   4rm-another-mother 0 Votes
Ok let me tell u guyz about barbizon! its a lot soo bare with me. Barbizon is one of the biggest rip-offs I've ever known. They don't necessarily lie to you, but they definitely MISLEAD you. READ CAREFULLY! They talk about how u got the look or they helped these stars that you see on the videos during the interview thingy, but in reality they didn't get them there they happen to cheat them out of their money to. Let's be smart here ppl, bcuz I wasn't you shouldn't have to pay THAT MUCH if any at all. I don't know y i didnt realize this b4 but they fed me & my mommy THIS STUFF about how cute we were and my mommy wasnt even in for the interview. I wasn't believing all of this stuff. They don't get you HUGE jobs, after the class like I said b4 READ CAREFULLY! and after reading all of the comments barbizon is ridiculous with the ppl they excepted. I dont feel special anymore, and they were all sooo nice. But its just a ploy luckily we caught up with this thing, b4 giving the money. ALSO even my mommy said some of them girlz shouldnt even had been in there.. some would say not so cute, kinda ugly..not my words. but regardless plz google or yahoo search b4 you waste ppl money. I'm soo thanxful friends at school told me this was a scam b4 we paid. I hope i SAVE SOMEBODY!
 29th of Mar, 2009 by   katie 0 Votes
my two best friends and i got stopped at wet seal where someone was "scouting" and asked if we had any experience, and we said no, so she recommended barbizon for us. i haven't gone to the classes yet, and neither has one of the friends who was with me, but the third finished the program and is now modeling as her job. she was 13, now 15. when i think of barbizon, i don't think of ridiculous prices, because, honestly, the modeling business is expensive, but definitely worth it. the only bad thing is, now my friend moved to las vegas from atlanta for her modeling. i don't know exactly how much she's made, but she's paid off her tuition by far, and now i'm just begging my mom to take me! :) so i definitely recommend it. and to anyone who thinks it's a ripoff, you're wrong. and to anyone who thinks it's a trafficking conspiracy, you're crazy!
 3rd of Apr, 2009 by   cooly 0 Votes
I thought I Knew much about barbizon and I was thinking a about going there but after what i heard today not sure. my parents dont have that much money and if its expensive for nothing it is not worth it. I most certaintly would like to be a model or an actress and i also heard really good things about barbizon. i also got card saying thay wanted me to be there or something like that anyway i hope its not a ripp off cause i want my dreams to come true. My friend reccomended me to do barbizon cause she graduated but told me the pictures were like $300. well anyway i do not Know what i want right now.
 7th of Apr, 2009 by   christine 0 Votes
In reading the above post I can only think of expectations. As a former model myself who graduated from modeling school after a long battle to get into the school I find schooling as a whole to be an excellent route for parents guiding their children to success. My battle was with my mom, she was from a small town and very few people in my small town ever left the small town. We did not have "overblown" expectations of what modeling school would do for me. I learned about confidence, avoiding peer pressure, make-up, runway, and photo posing, interview skills, etiquette, skin care, posture, grace, voice and diction. The topics I studied in modeling school were not offered in any other format in my primary education. After finishing training I had the opportunity to work locally in fashion shows, bridal shows, promotional model, local cable access TV commercials and even went on to sign with a NY agency. I never made a million dollars... but that is not what I expected. I expected opportunity and education. I went on to college and now work in a corporate environment, a young thirty something, mother of two who is the Vice President of the company. As a parent myself I would never deny my children the opportunity to educate themselves in any area they were passionate about with a structured curriculum and a safe state approved atmosphere.
 12th of Jun, 2009 by   Bryn 0 Votes
Yes, Barbizon is a rip off. Did I talk classes? Yes. Do I regret them? No. Why, because I knew I was getting ripped off. I needed to learn the proper way to walk and I knew i would get signed. Did I get signed? Yes. Do i get jobs? Yes. Should everyone go to Barbizon? No. If you are gullible and have gullible parents, do not get into Barbizon. It's pretty pathetic because a lot of the parents worship the ground Barbizon walks on, its gross. To get into IMTA you have to be with Barbizon or John Robert Powers and it is waaaaaaay more expensive than Barbizon. I was at a show the other day and the moms were talking about how exciting it was going to be and how famous their kids were going to be. Their girls had bad skin, bad teeth and were overweight. I'm sorry, Elite and Ford are not looking for that kind of "look". Just know what you're getting into.
 24th of Jun, 2009 by   nonyabiznus 0 Votes
It's quite obvious from all the comments here, good and bad, that if you have the "look" or the "potential", then Barbizon MIGHT help you launch your career. But it's just as obvious that Barbizon will TELL you you have the look or potential whether you do or not in order to get your money.
They are a business, and they are in it to support themselves and profit, so whatever gets them into your pocketbook is what you will hear.
Millions of people (since 1939) have paid for their classes, portfolios, photoshoots, etc..., so it stands to reason a few will become famous... DUH... but it doesn't mean they are going to make your average, mediocre kid a supermodel or movie star. Think about how few actually "make it" and figure the amount of money Barbizon wants compared to the minuscule chance of your child's success...
Most people are WASTING the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
And if your child really is something special (ask someone unassociated with you and your kid, so you get an OBJECTIVE opinion), check out stories of how the famous were "discovered" (it's easy, cause if your reading this you have Internet access and famous people love to brag about themselves so their stories are easy to find on the Web) and maybe you'll follow their leads instead of just forking over a$$loads of money to a "modeling agency" that really isn't.
Actually it's also obvious some people here should have spent the money on grammar and spelling lessons...
 29th of Jun, 2009 by   NatayleDee 0 Votes
BARBIZON ARE A BUNCH OF CON ARTIST, WHAT I LEARNED WAS THAT IF AN AGENCY ASKS FOR A WHOLE LOT OF MONEY UP FRONT, MOST LIKELY THEIR SCAMMING YOU. a GOOD ONE WOULD ASK FOR A SMALL FEE, LET YOU TRY IT OUT AND SEE IF YOU LIKE IT, AND THEN YOU CAN CONTINUE, NOT BARBIZON, YOU CANT EVEN REFUND YOUR MONEY.
AND ON TOP OF THAT THEIR LYING, THEY SAY MODELING AND ACTING, YOU ONLY GET ONE ACTING CLASS, AND THE TEACHER OF IT OPENLY SAID HE THOUGHT WE WERE BEING SCAMMED. THE CLASSES ARE LONG AND BORING AND DONT TEACH YOU MUCH, THEIR BASICALLY A WASTE OF YOUR TIME. I WENT OUT OF MY WAY TO TRY TO AVOID SOME OF THE CLASSES, LIKE I FEEL SORRY FOR MY MOM WHO FEELS LIKE SHES GETTING A DEAL HERE BUT ISNT. I WOULD HAVE QUIT BUT IT WASNT MY MONEY I WAS USING, NOW I GOTTA FIND SOME SORTA WAY TO REPAY MY MOTHER OVER 2, 000 DOLLARS, WHERE THE HELL AM I GOING TO GET THAT KINDA OF MONEY. BARBIZON HAS PUT ME IN SUCH A HORRIBLE SITUATION. I THOUGHT MY MONEY OR MY OMS WA PAYING FOR A LIST OF THINGS WHEN IN REALITY, ALL MY MONEY PAID FOR WAS THEIR CLASSES, THAT JUST ASK YOU FOR MORE MONEY TO PAY FOR THINGS THEY SAID WAS INCLUDED IN THE PACKAGE LIKE MAKE UP. THROUGHOUT THE CLASSES MOST OF WHAT THEIR DOING IS SELLING YOU PRODUCTS YOU CAN FIND ON THEIR SITE AND BUT FOR A "LOW" PRICE, YOU KNOW ON TOP OF THAT 2 GRAND. NOW I'M GRADUATING AND DREADING IT BECAUSE I HAVE LEARNED ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, AND DONT KNOW HOW TO FACE MY MOTHER OR WHAT WILL BE ASKED OF ME AT THE GRADUATION.

I ADVICE YOU TO NOT TAKE THE CLASSES, SAVE YOUR SELF THE PAIN AND MONEY.
 5th of Jul, 2009 by   tall tina 0 Votes
I have an appointment this weekend for my daughter? After reading the comments, I am skeptical!!! So it is not free???????????????

Beware of Moving Scams