logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Luxe Models
I am sure that this service can’t cost $1000…
2. (3 mins ago)
SBI ATM Card
TO BLOCK LOST SBI ATM CARD
5. (18 mins ago)
Frederick J. Hanna & Associates
Never pay them until you go to court

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Assurant Health

Posted:    Patrick

Beware

Assurant Health
This company does not send me a bill even though I have not signed a statement saying it is ok not to do so. They did not notify me when they could not process a premium payment, and waited a couple days to write up a letter and send it to me in order to make sure my policy and grace period had both lapsed by the time it arrived. Since I had no notification of a problem there was no way to avoid it's lapse. After speaking to a representative who claimed she filed new credit card information and waived the "reinstatment fee" (they did this because I am also an insurance producer and called them out on this crap) I call again a couple days later to recheck on the account. They then informed me that they were "unable" to process the credit card (I called my bank, it works just fine) and gave me less than 2 hours to call back to try to reinstate the policy again. They also suggested I call my agent who was conveniently out of town. Overall this is disgusting and fraudulent conduct. If I as a member of the same industry cannot work out these issues with Assurant Health I do not see how a normal person with no knowledge of the insurance laws could possibly accomplish anything. And on a professional note it is this type of behavior that not only tarnishes the name of other insurance companies but makes me ashamed to be associated with these people.
Comments United States Health & Life Insurance
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

16th of Jun, 2010 by   Bill from Michigan 0 Votes
Assurant Health is not honest or truthful in the way they conduct business. When we originally signed up for Assurant they said everything would be covered at 40% and regular check ups at 100%. They did not say ANYTHING about a 12 month waiting period. (It is however in the very fine print in the terms and conditions on like page 14).

Before a procedure had been done, I had called them to verify that it would be covered at 40% and they said "yes it would be covered at 40%" I had the procedure done and later I find out that it was not covered at all after we received a bill in the mail for the procedure.

We then called assurant again and they said, "you didn't know there was a 12 month waiting period". So now we're out like 1500 bucks and additonal 1000 dollars of worthless premiums paid. If I would have known upfront that there was a 12 month waiting period I would have never signed up for Assurant Health.

I would NEVER recommend ASSURANT HEALTH to anyone!

Bill
Michigan
 9th of Jul, 2010 by   Insure 0 Votes
You should not blame your financial problems on other companies. It is unprofessional and irresponsible to do so.
 27th of Oct, 2010 by   l shelton 0 Votes
this company is consistantly raising rates every chance they get. I pay 1000.00 a month and have a 5000.00 deductible just for myself. Every renewal time it goes up well over 200.00 i very rarely use the medical services but I have been diognosed with cancer. even so I stress the fact that I pay way more than I use. but because I cant get coverage anywere else Im suckered into stsying were I am covered until I can no longer afford to which the day is coming fast, probably within the year. Stay away!!!
 1st of Jan, 2011 by   insuremetoday 0 Votes
Im An Broker Agent and assurant is on of my companies And I mean I wouldn't write there best plan on Dog simply because they do not pay. I have a client that pays 458.75 had her plan for 8months so she goes to the Dr. and what did they do. DENIED HER CLAIM for a simple check up if I lose my license for that then so be it. It Is What It Is If any one has problems and is considering another company that stands up behind there word email me at insuremetoday@ymail.com
 4th of Feb, 2011 by   ezm 0 Votes
My son purchased 60 day coverage between jobs and they automatically changed it to regular policy and have been taking money from his account for months. Unfortunately he just realized it. Can anybody tell me how to get them to refund almost $900 to him for policy he didn't want and didn't use?
 19th of Jul, 2011 by   buildermom 0 Votes
Assurant Health is the ABSOLUTE worst health insurance company out there!! Please do not waste your money with this company. They make you feel like you have terrific insurance but when you actually get sick and go to the emergency room or end up in the hospital... you are doomed and end up BROKE! I had to go the emergency room and my plan only allowed $700.00...WOW! That covered alot! Thank god I wasn't admitted! Obviously I am dropping ASSURANT ASAP...tomorrow or as soon as I can get Blue Cross Blue Shield. I hope they will take me.
So I pay over $300.00 a month just in case I get sick... and they only cover $700.00 what a scam!
SCAM, SCAM, SCAM! I am so mad I will post coments every place I can find!
Sherry from Georgia
 8th of Sep, 2011 by   Sick Firefighter 0 Votes
I was diagnosed with at first with meningioma and was told to seek a special Neurosurgeon due the complexity of my situation. I had to get a pacemaker in order to keep me alive because my heart would stop in my sleep. After seek that specialist, he determine that I have lymphoma and wanted to do surgey ASAP. I was scheduled to have surgery on August 25. 2011 and while at the doctors office, Assurant health call my Doctor and advised him not to performed the surgery BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT GOING TO PAY FOR IT. I have one of the best Neurosurgeons in the country and he is very upset at this time. His quote to me was, I would send someone home due to that we can no longer help them medical wise. I am being asked to snd somone home to die by the insurance company request!
I have been a firefighter for 33 years and have Never denied someone help because of a matter of payment. How would the CEO of Assurant feel if I pulled up to his home and it was on fire and told him we need to know if his insurance company will pay the water bill? would he be upset. We as policy holders ne to start a class action lawsuit against Assurant for putting our lives at risk and furthermore criminal charges should be put in place to the most responsible person of this company. They like to hide behind their employees now, it's time to come out of the building and face the punishment. I guess Assurant likes the fact they kill someone everyday and I call this MURDER by insurance. Who is next on their list because I'm on the list now, it could be your Mother, Father, son, daughter and the list goes on. They need to stop now and pay their bills that they assumed from us. This is a form of breech of contract.
Thanks for taking time to read this.
 9th of Sep, 2011 by   Insure 0 Votes
I am an insurance broker with many years of experience. I am sorry to hear that they are denying your surgery. Why did they deny it? Did you have a pre-existing condition that is not covered for the first twelve months or one for which you signed a rider excluding a certain condition? Also, did you inform the insurance company of your pre-existing condition when you completed the application? If not, then that is considered lying by omission and they will deny your claims based on that.
 9th of Sep, 2011 by   heatherl 0 Votes
I am the firefighters best friend and there is no pre-existing. They flat out decided not to pay. The attorney is going after them and I am sure he will win, but we are fighting time. He needs the brain tumor removed to live. We have contacted media and are planning a benefit that they will cover next month. At that time the whole world will find out about what this company is doing. The broadcast will be posted on YouTube and other media outlets. If they were smart they would allow him the surgery and get themselves out of this mess they caused. He has rich and powerful friends with deep loyalties to him and will fight until the surgery is granted. There are hundreds of us standing behind him. They will not get over on this group. We will put them out of business with lawsuits and bad publicity. Beware of this company, They are a SCAM and Do NOT PAY
 16th of Jul, 2012 by   Angerycustomer11 0 Votes
Assurant Health bad business : so i go to make an appointment for my grandbaby at a clinic that i was sent to by the assurant agent when i get there the lady in the front office LOOK S AT THE INSURANCE CARD WEIRED AS IF SHE NEVER SEEN IT BEFORE... RIGHT THEN AND THERE I KNOW SHIT THIS MUST BE A SCAM.. So now the lady is trying to varify that my grand baby is insured by this company to my surprise pooof my grand baby does not even exist not insured at all... Now this so called company (Assurant Health) has been charging me monthly and they know she is not even insured... may god have mercy on your souls. ASSURANT HEALTH BIG SCAM!!! you should be a shame of your selves I cant belive that my husband thats in the Army went to war so big scam companies like this could do this to good people F****ing A**H****!!!
 31st of Jul, 2012 by   SS64 0 Votes
Assurant Health approved a surgery, I had the surgery and then 4 weeks later I got a letter telling me they retroactively canc'd my policy. They didn't pay the bills, I got stuck with 35k . The reason they stated was fraud. They stated I failed to disclose a pre existing condition. I had no pre existing condition. My Dr wrote a letter stating it was not pre existing. It has been four years and nobody will insure me because they have fraud in my MIB file now. I called several attorneys, they all told me you can't win fighting this you can try and go broke. I am now writing Congress, Newspapers, anyone with an ear. ASSURANT HEALTH HAS RUINED MY LIFE.
 13th of Sep, 2013 by   Heather Drewanz 0 Votes
I intend to report Assurant Health Insurance to any Insurance agency that will listen. I have had a life with them for almost 3 years. I pay $148. per month. In the last three years they paid maybe $200.00. I have called and complained and they said that if something terrible happened to me they would pay for it up to 2, 000.000.000. I received a letter from Assurant encouraging me to visit my obgyn and also to get a mamagram. I did do that. They would not cover any of this. I contacted them and stated that they had sent this letter. Ther comment was that if I got tested and I did have cancer they would then cover it. They also will not cover my lab cost and only paid $25 to the obgyn. I asked how they could be so nice about it. I have a limited policy which was never explained when they tried to sell it to me. I have also had melanoma in the past on chest and face. Every six months I get checked out. My Dr. stated that the most important thing he could do for my face without marking up was to do a photopdyynamic therapy, the blue blue light treatment to cover all marks on my face. The cost $800 for each treatment (2 treatments required) Assurant stated that this was indeed a procedure that was needed and they would pay $25.00 per session. At this point I'm looking at all the money I have paid out and they have paid for nothing. When I have a prescription I have to tell them I have not health insurance because somehow when we first tried to run a prescription thru we where charged 4x's the amount. Go figure . Where did you go wrong their. I will report you for what happened to me only because you did not make me aware when you offered this insurance that you would not cover preventive coverage but you would cover any tradegty coverage. How sad is that. Your have not interity, Funny enough I had one of your agents try to call me and sell it again not knowing I was a client/sadly of Assurant

Know Your Online Pharmacy