logo

Posted:    Jennifer Maxwell

Peeling leather couch

Ashley Furniture Homestore
Frisco, Texas
I purchased a whole leather living room set from
Ashley home store in frisco on february 19, 2007. I
Also purchased the 5 year warranty. It was delivered
To me on march 5th 2007. What i have is a leather
Reclining sofa, reclining leather love seat and
Leather rocker recliner, all the same brand &
Material.

We have had no problems until this past week. Our
Furniture is peeling, yes peeling. The salesman
Assured me that it was 100% leather wherever our
Bodies touched. I wasn't aware that leather was
Supposed to peel, it just flakes off. It looks
Horrible and it's only 9 months old!

Yesterday i called the insurance people and they
Basically told me that 'peeling' was specifically not
Covered, although stabbing with a knife was. So if i
Stab my couch 'accidentally' they will fix it for free
For 5 years but since it is defective and peeling it
Is not covered.

I then called the ashley home store where i purchased
The furniture and asked to speak to the manager, they
Asked why and i explained my problem to them. They
Then said that i would have to let a customer service
Person know and they would take care of my problem. I
Went through the whole speech with the customer
Service lady and she explained that they would be
Happy to come and look at my defective furniture and
See what, if anything, needed to be done about it. I
Was very upset and asked if i could just get my money
Back (Since it's already paid in full) or exchange it
For some other type of real leather furniture in their
Store. They then told me that they would 'repair' any
Defective furniture or replace the cushion for up to
One year then after that i am on my own. They said
That peeling leather is not uncommon.
On january 11th, the ashley technician came to review
The issue. He immediately saw the problem and then
Started peeling back more of the leather. Now there
Is a huge 2 - 3 inch spot that is totally peeled away.

He was very friendly and very insightful. He told me
That he could replace the one cushion and the other 8
Or so spots that are peeling he could 'paint' them
When he repaired the cushion. He said that my paint
Was peeling off of my leather. I wasn't aware that
Leather was painted. When i showed him other pieces
Of leather furniture that i own that haven't ever
Peeled (But show wear) he let me know that furniture
Isn't made the same way it used to be. He said that
In the past things had better quality and held up
Better.

I also told him of the extended warranty that i
Purchased that was good for 5 years, but did not cover
Peeling leather. I told him that didn't understand
Why it didn't cover that and why the manufacturer only
Covered peeling leather for one year. If it peels, it
Should be replaced or refunded no matter how long you
Have had it!

I expressed how unsatisfied that i was with the
Product and asked if i could just get a refund and
Purchase quality furniture from a business that stood
Behind their product. He replied no, that ashley
Doesn't give refunds anymore. He said it was
'cheaper' for them to hire someone to go 'repair' it,
Even if it was numerous times than to refund the money
Back to the customer. I asked him if he had any
Ashley furniture in his home, he replied no maam, i
Wouldn't have any of that furniture in my home. When
I asked why, he said that it wasn't good quality. That
Is pretty sad when your own employee says that about
Your products! I need to get this resolved, as i
Don't want a couch with an orange circle on it in my
Family room.

After hearing the technicians advice and knowledge it
Made me wonder why anyone does business with ashley
Furniture. I know one thing, i will not be back.
They need to have higher standards and make sure their
Customers are happy, then they would have a great
Referrals and repeat customers.

I have filed a complaint with the bbb and they sent it
To "tom" and he emailed back saying that since a
'technician' was scheduled to be at my house on the
11th he considers this issue resolved. I don't think
So!

I called the credit card (Which happened to be the
Store card) and wanted to dispute the charges, they
Said i couldn't dispute unless ashley refused to
'repair' my couches. I asked if painting fake leather
Meant repair, she didn't answer. Needless to say the
Account is paid off and cancelled and i am telling
Everyone i know to never do business with ashley
Furniture again.

I thought it was odd that the other 3 leather pieces
Of furniture that we have owned for years has no signs
Of peeling whatsoever and looks better than my 9 month
Old ashley furniture!

Comments United States Furniture
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

20th of Feb, 2008 by   tammy02 0 Votes
Hi Jennifer,

My name is Tammy and I am employed with Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc. in Arcadia, WI. I have been visiting many of the complaint websites and ran across your complaint. I am very sorry to hear about your frustrations with your purchase of Ashley Furniture. The store was correct to send a technician to complete and inspection and make any necessary repairs/adjustments as long as they are able to meet factory specifications, if they are unable to meet factory specs, they need to discuss the situation with their Ashley Marketing Specialist to assist them in a decision as to how to proceed. I am very concerned about your situation and I would like to diligently work with the stores customer care department to be sure you have been receiving a reasonable resolution. Therefore, I have forwarded your complaint directly to the Head of Customer Care for the independently owned and operated Frisco, TX HomeStore for further review.

Your Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc. reference number is RN473607.

Thank you!

Tammy~Ashley Internet Communications
 25th of Apr, 2008 by   Jennifer Maxwell 0 Votes
I just wanted to make everyone aware that Ashley furniture did come through finally! The ONLY reason things worked out so well is the wonderful assistant manager Shannon Loya in Frisco. He helped me tremendously, as did Susan Juarez. I appreciate their time and concern with my problems. I ended up getting a full refund, after my second brand new sofa had major defects. I got my check in the mail yesterday. THANK YOU for listening and helping get my problem resolved.
 17th of May, 2008 by   Angela 0 Votes
Hi, Jennifer. I just wanted to drop my 2 cents in. I worked in the furniture business for 2 years selling furniture, and I almost went to work for our Ashley home store here in my local area until I started hearing a lot of complaints about the store from industry insiders. The word on the street is that Ashley furniture has little to no customer service. We were always getting their customers because Ashley refused to refund money or do proper repairs. When I sell things it's because I believe in them, and the service that my company provides. After reading your story it makes me very happy that I didn't go to work for them. You are not alone. I'm sorry that has happened to you. I don't know where you live, but I can tell you that if you live in an area that has a Farmers Furniture store that you may want to do business with them. They are a wonderful company that will go above and beyond to make certain that you are satisfied. If you have a problem they will send a repair tech and if it can't be handled they will replace it with no hassles. They have wonderful protection plans and the truly stand by them. I no longer work for the company, but they are one of the best in the business when it comes to customer service. One more thing before I go. All over leather 100% leather will have broken up sections stiched together (it takes more than 1 cow to make a piece of furniture) if you find that the back or the sides of the furniture are just 1 piece it's NOT all leather or even 100% leather it's some sort of other material and not worth investing in if you're looking for long term furniture. I hope i've been able to give you some insight into the world of furniture. Good Luck. Happy Hunting.
 15th of Jun, 2008 by   Loraine 0 Votes
I also purchased a leather ??? furniture sofa love seat & rocker recliner First recliner fell in on the right side tried to fix 3 times . Took BBB TO GIVE ME A NEW CHAIR Now I noticed my sofa is peeling
Looked for tags [ you know warning do not remove
Well guess what no tag's
But the recliner that was exchaned had a tag .
Luck or did they forget to remove this one ?
The tag stated 45% leather 55% plastick or something
Mr Goldberg sent me a certefied letter stating my chair was 100% leather !
But leather doesn't peel
I'm taking him & his Co. to court. Any one is welcome to go Maybe if there is enough of us .Something can be done If interested Please email me at ngtweetybird43@aol.com. I am from Williamstown NJ CALL ME A
 14th of Jul, 2009 by   diva1218 0 Votes
Thanks ladies,
I know I'm not crazy. I'm having the same exact problems with a leather sectional I purchased from Central Furniture in Chicago, IL. The furniture is barely 3 months old and is also peeling and tearing up. A repair man has been out and is coming back. I will take my chance in court. Why would furniture, leather be peeling? Thanks, for the insight!!!
 15th of Aug, 2009 by   kathy3 0 Votes
I, too, have had the same problems with "leather" furniture purchased from Ashley Furniture. The "painted leather" peeled soon after I got it - within a few months, I called the warranty people and got the same answer as Jennifer. I should have stabbed the sofa, chair and loveseat with a knife! I got nowhere with the store manager, too. I even have a lawyer friend look over that warranty, and he thought it may be borderline fraudulent.
A technician came out and replaced the covers of the furniture, and interestingly enough he said similar things about Ashley selling painted leather as real leather, and that a lot of leather furniture in other stores are painted.
I paid for those repairs and it made me sick to do it. The store was no help, the warranty company was ridiculous and the worst part...the chair has peeled again. I have a 2 by 4 inch orange circle on the arm. I am now looking for a repair kit of my own to fix my chair. That's how I came across this site with these same compaints.
Even though its been over a year since the first repair, I may still call my local Ashley Furniture to tell them about the latest peelings, though I have my doubts on their willingness to help, their porfessionalism, and their integrity in the furniture business.
Congrats to you, Jennifer for following through! I wish I had carried it to the lengths you did when mine first occurred.
Kathy Sullivan rsulli3@verizon.net
 13th of Oct, 2009 by   emailrick 0 Votes
They really arent worried about their customers. They are busy making money. I bought a sofa and love seat from ashley store in freemont, ca . The day i was buying it they wanted me to buy an extended warranty, so i did and i was told that it would cover everything. I just called the customer service people regarding my cushions not being resilient enough . I was told that none of the warranties they sell cover that . So why is that people sell things that they dont honor.
 22nd of Oct, 2009 by   georgieva 0 Votes
hi
i have same problem with my sofa, from ScS. it is peeling and the 5 year insurance does not cover that. i don't think i could get my money back as it is 2 years old now, but is anyone know how i can repair that. thanks
 1st of Nov, 2009 by   Frankr 0 Votes
Leather will peel because of the way they attach the color or coating. The original complaint stated the sofa was fake leather I assure you it was not. In fact the parts that were not leather, most of the parts you don't sit on on most sofas are leather match..meaning vinyl. The vinyl does not peel or crack most of the time because it can be produced in the desired color all the way through. From what I understand the thicker and harder leather has a tendency to peel.
 12th of Jan, 2010 by   E of cardiff 0 Votes
Hi
something very simular happened to me I paid £3000 (thats about $5000) for a 2 seater and 3 seater sofa. then about 6 months it started to go all sticky and the the top "layer" of the leather was sliding off. I tried to return the sofa but the company had gone bust.
I have since found out that a lot of sofas and leather items are made in china, they make them up in a few base colors and then Spray paint them, ( yes just like a car) to many different tones. so after a while the paint slides or peels off. the only way you can tell in shop is to unzip a seat cover and find a seam, and that shows the true color. As most things in life its buyer beware.
 27th of Feb, 2010 by   Amy22 0 Votes
I bought an Ashley leather reclining sofa and recliner. I thought it was 100% good quality leather. WRONG. The leather has worn away orange spots. It's only two years old and looks terrible. The furniture company referred me to a repair company. Every time I tried to call, the line was busy. I gave up. Now I guess I'm looking for a leather paint kit, so I can fix it myself. I'll never by Ashley again, it was such a waste of money.
Amy
 16th of Mar, 2010 by   khadri 0 Votes
Hi,

I have the same problem with my leather recliner rocker i bought from ashley.When i got the 5 yr warranty plan they told me the only thing not covered is bleach and permanant marker. Now my rocker is peeling off and i have orange spots on the back rest. I got the same answer like jennifer saying peeling is not covered. I also had some other problems like puncture which was repaired before is coming off, a ring mark on the seating cushion of loveseat, a lose recliner lever. the customer service person i talked told me he will send a package and i should take pictures of the damage and send to it to them. this is ridiciulous. then they will decide to send the tech. I live in Fremont CA and got it from the fremont ashley store.

Kad
 16th of Apr, 2010 by   PM Thomas +1 Votes
I wish I had seen this post before I bought my Ashley Furniture three piece living room set about 4 years ago. One of the reasons I bought leather was so that it would last. I previously owned a leather sofa, which I had for over 10 years and it held up great. The set I have now started to peel about a year or two after I purchased it. I didn't buy the warranty because well, leather isn't supposed to peel! I'm not sure how to resolve this and after seeing previous posts, I'm not sure I want to hassle with going through the customer service department. Has anyone had any luck making the repairs themselves?
 18th of Apr, 2010 by   E of cardiff 0 Votes
People I have found the answer. apparently this happens when the leather has been badly finished. and the top lacquer doesn't take, It is fairly common.
But it is fixable these people will sell you a kit to do the repairs yourself, or they come to your home and do it for you (UK only)
heres the kits you can buy
 1st of Aug, 2010 by   Shirley Potts 0 Votes
Also have Ashley recliner couch and loveseat, 2 years old, in our summer residence (basically only used 1 year). Right recliner is all out of kilter and back upper cushion peeling in numerous places. We were told by Ashley this was "normal wear and tear" and they would do nothing to help us. Same problems with "Extended Warranty". Have had leather furniture previously for 10 years plus with no such problems. Checked with a leather repair firm locally. They said they could repair it but within 6 months we'd have the same problem.
 20th of Aug, 2010 by   Jamille 0 Votes
The Roomstore in Virginia Beach, VA also sell "fake peeling leather" as real leather. The original complaint could have been mine: bought the warranty and was told it did not cover defects only actual stabs or rips. We have taken such great care of this furniture it is beautiful...except for the "leather" has peeled off on all of the seams.
 26th of Aug, 2010 by   TxChelleBell 0 Votes
We also bought a reclining leather sofa and love seat an have the same problem with peeling fake leather. I am ferry disappointed after paying what we did for it and I asked the Guy who sold it to us if he was sure it was 100% leather because I wanted a couch that would realty last. We have had them for almost 2 years. Not cool.
Michelle
 27th of Aug, 2010 by   hntthwe 0 Votes
oh no we got ours from big sandy superstore and never will we buy anythign from them again we have had probs... our arm of our couch is peeling aswell and in all the years I have worked in a leather factory leather does not peel if it is real only if it is painted or coated... so i called big sandy we only bought it back in march of this year I dont think if it is under a year the 5 yr warranty we purchased from them shoudl be used but as long as they fix it i dont care really lol
 20th of Sep, 2010 by   bobrrr 0 Votes
It's fake leather called "bicast leather". I don't know what Stealth Pilot is thinking of but they must not know much about modern scams in the leather industry.

It's illegal to call it leather in most countries but it's legal in the US.

2nd of Oct, 2010 by   Carmal Chi 0 Votes
I bought, probably the same leather set ('sonoma" -chocolate brown) as Jennifer (the 1st customer w/complaint). My set didn't last 6 months before I had to call the store with complaints. As the others have mentioned, I was rerouted to the insurance company since I had also purchased the 5 year warranty. Got the same ole story regarding the warranty...they will fix punctures, blood stains, pet urine, etc., but wouldn't fix the "peeling faded" spots on my furniture. After a few more calls a technician showed up and explained that it could be damage from the sun (so we kept the blinds closed and put up curtains), the next time he came out after more complaints (probably 6 months later), he said the peeling could be a result of body perspiration since most of the peeling/fading was on the arm rest or the area where your back sits. I told him I've had leather before and never had any problems like this before. After the 1st year and a half, they repaired the sofa by removing the sections that were faded/peeling (because it was continuously spreading) and replaced it with pieces ordered from Ashleys. This lasted maybe 6 months, then the fading started in other sections of the couch. After threatening to go to court because I had over $10, 000 worth of useless furniture and a freaking warranty that cost several hundreds more but wouldn't repair anything they sent me a new sofa. By this time, I was noticing the same thing happening with the loveseat. The only piece that seemed to be fine was the recliner, and that's probably because it was in the formal living room where no one ever sat in. I am frustrated because I have this leather (or atleast what they continue to say is leather where the body touches) and can't afford to buy a new set since I have debt from this mess I got from them. When people asks me where I got my furniture, I quickly tell them my story and to go elsewhere. I will never have anything positive to say about Ashley until they do what's right and either sell the high quality furniture they advertise and stand behind their customers or price it at the cheap quality that it really is so that customers aren't so angry when it starts peeling/fading. If it were cheap, I wouldn't be complaining because I may have gotten my moneys worth. Never-the-less, since they've stopped trying to satisfy me and repair my furniture; I've stopped paying the credit card bill (their credit company). I know this wasn't the best way to handle it, but when and if I have to explain why that is on my credit, some creditors actually understand because they have been through the same thing with Ashley's or companies like them. So until I get what I purchased/satisfaction, they'll get nothing else from me.

Cell Phones - A False Sense Of Security