logo

Sears Jewelry
Broken in 3 months
3. (3 mins ago)
Free of Blemishes
posting fake comments and product is a scam
4. (7 mins ago)
Dealer Synergy Sean Bradley
Sean Bradley Scammer
5. (10 mins ago)
GLD Myscore
they keep on charging me

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Archives.com

Posted: 2011-01-21 by    lilywit2

rip off scam

Archives.com
BEWARE OF ARCHIVES.COM!!! I am doing some family research, went to Archives.com, and entered a relatives full and distinctive name. A box popped up saying they had an exact match. So I signed up for one week free trial membership, then clicked on relists to view information. The "exact match" was a man with different last name, different year of birth and death. A classic "Bait and switch" routine. I immediately canceled my trial membership and sent an email explaining what happened and reiterating my wish to cancel. I received an email that said they would be looking into this and would get back to me within 24 hours. A week went by, no followup email, and then they charged my account $39.95. WHAT A RIPOFF.!
Comments United States Online Scams
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

31st of Jan, 2011 by   CWMKahn 0 Votes
I tried to find my mothers death information and couldn't find anything. After attempting several varations of her name. I decided to try to find my own birth record. It couldn't even find my birth record!!

this site is a complete rip off!

PS i used a vanilla gift visa debit card with 3 dollars on it ...
 7th of Mar, 2011 by   Minerva Hale 0 Votes
Archives riped me off for $39.99 plus $59.99. I was charged $35.00 by my bank because there was not enough money in my account to pay the next bill. Mary Hale
 7th of Mar, 2011 by   Minerva Hale 0 Votes
Archives.com charged me $39.99 for the year. Then they took $59.99 from my account. There was not enough money to pay my electric bill. My bank charged me $35.00 and the electric company charged me $35.00 also. Just because I was $30.00 short in my account.I do not know why they took the $59.00. I tried to cancel and they have not done that as yet. Mary Hale
 24th of Mar, 2011 by   t42@24t 0 Votes
Total scam and ripoff...charged $39.95 for reoccuring membership and then $27.83 for a birth certificate that I never received only received forms requesting and additional $22.00 and a copy of my divers license to be faxed. Credit Card Company would not dispute charge and Archives.com told me to f'off. DO NOT USE ARCHIVES.COM or you will have to cancel your credit card to keep them from continuing to charge you a membership fee and never receive promised documents.
 10th of May, 2011 by   ISV 0 Votes
SCAMMERS! I signed up for their service and did not even receive a confirmatory email response. I sucked up the 39.99 and never even used the site. A year later I see a charge on my statement that I was automatically renewed. I called my bank to dispute the charges, then called Archives.com. I told Jason my debit card was not authorized for this transaction and asked why I had not received an email reminder before hand. He assured me they did send me an email 30 days prior, but when I asked him for a refund he couldn't identify me by any means other than my email address, which I had to supply in order for them to be able to refund me. No Jason, your previous emails did not go to spam. I immediately receieved a cancellation confirmation...straight to my inbox.
 13th of Jun, 2011 by   RyansMom2002 0 Votes
Same thing happened to me, they lured me in saying that they had a match. It was for a completely different person. I cancelled on the 7th day and 2 days later they charged me $47.88 - which by the way is more than the advertised $39.99. They are also trying to say that I have been actively using their site which is a complet lie!

How to Sell on Craigslist and Not Get Scammed: 4 Great Tips You Need to Know