logo

Posted:    DontMessWithTexas1

Scam / fraud

Angel Investment Network
Houston, Texas
I replied to a "Craigslist ad for a Personal/Administrative Assistant. Reading it you would have thought the dream job had just dropped from the heavens. Momentarily I got excited, then decided to do a little research. I Googled Angel Investment Network and SCAM came up on about 5 different sites. I was going to respond back and ask for references on this company just to see what he says, and ask to speak with the last PA. Below is the email on craigslist I responded to.

Hello,

Hope you're having a pleasant day

You contacted me applying for the position which I advertised on Craigslist. Do take time to go through this introductory mail and feel free to pass any questions on.

My profile briefly:

I'm Brian Peterson, 52, and a father of 2 wonderful kids, a successful entrepreneur and investor, a member of the Angel Investment Network. I'm also a research journalist and I travel every now and then within and outside the US working on various independent projects, this is why I need someone who can help keep up to date with all of my activities especially when I'm away and amidst my busy schedule.

Please note that you are being hired only on a personal level. All correspondences would be made and promptly reported to me personally. The position is part time and home-based meaning you can work most times from your home as long as you have a regular internet access. You are also hired on a trial basis for now until we are able to see how well we fit in, this however does not affect your weekly wage.

In summary, your activities as my assistant amongst other things will include;

* Carrying out background research and presenting findings;
* A personal reminder for Schedules, programs, flights and keeping me up to date with them as they come up;
* Carrying out specific projects and research;
* Taking on some of the my responsibilities and working more closely with management and other staff related to me;
* Processing and taking charge of weekly payments and purchases.
* You will also be a part of my household and a helping hand to issues as they arise.
* General clerical activities.

Basic wage is $550 a week.

Any extra personal expenses (transport, gas, etc) incurred by you while on an errand or otherwise will also be reimbursed by me at the end of each working week.

believe will resolve itself as time goes on.

Age

I hope you can be available for me immediately before I arrive, it certainly can act as a stable foundation to our impending working relationship.

Brian Peterson
Comments United States Online Scams
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

6th of Jan, 2010 by   Heyjude34 +2 Votes
I also responded to this... I didn't give a phone number or address since I don't really have any right now. But that's the exact same e-mail I got back. If you have found anything else out about this person please e-mail me. heyjude34@gmail.com
 7th of Jan, 2010 by   CautiousinTexas 0 Votes
I just received the same email and have not responded to it. It just hit my gut as scam when he said he was currently in England on a project. So I have hit google and found the Angel Investment Network in New England at this link... http://www.newenglandinvestmentnetwork.com/home/110 Not sure this has anything to do with this guy. Then I found this post showing others getting the same email. My email is identical to the one above. I'm choosing not to respond to this one just because my gut says not to. If he picked up my initial application he has the info already that he is asking for from my resume that is attached to everything I apply for. No proof here whether it is a scam but I think he's fishing and I am not going to bite. good luck to you.
 8th of Feb, 2010 by   T2010 0 Votes
Wow, I responded to a Craiglist ad as well. Looks like just a name change was done on the same letter. Watch out ladies - looks like we got a scam on our hands

Hope you're having a pleasant day today

You contacted me applying for the position which I advertised on indeed.com. Do take time to go through this introductory mail and feel free to pass any questions on.

My profile briefly:

I'm Michael Richardson, 52, and a father of 2 wonderful kids, a successful entrepreneur and investor, a member of the Angel Investment Network. I'm also a research scientist and I travel every now and then within and outside the US working on various independent projects, this is why I need someone who can help keep up to date with all of my activities especially when I'm away and amidst my busy schedule.

I have had a previous PA who has been very commendable in her activities and who has been part of my life for the past 6 months, she has since moved on with her personal life and it has affected me in a way. I found her previously on the indeed.com website and I sincerely hope I will be able to find someone again who will be as efficient as she has been.

Most of your activities will be carried out locally and most official packages will be delivered via posts. You will be actively involved in my personal, business and financial life. In summary, your activities as my assistant amongst other things will include;
* General clerical activities.

Basic wage is $4000 Monthly.

This position is very flexible and it is difficult judging the exact number of hours you will be doing, just bear it in mind that there will be busier weeks than others with a steady pay. Working with me is basically about instructions and following them, my only fear is that I may come at you impromptu sometimes, so I need someone who can be able to meet up with my irregular timings. There is also a very sensitive issue on trust, dedication and accountability which I believe will resolve itself as time goes on.

Michael Richardson
 17th of Feb, 2010 by   Joni Bo. 0 Votes
I was suckered too and I am one not to get suckered into anything. A couple red flags did go up when he said he was in Australia, but the time he responded back would have been like 3am their time. The next flag was his misspellings and bad grammar. I tried googling the name he gave Howard Richards Chambers, but nothing that connected to him. Luckily my husband googled the Angel Network and we saw all of your comments and the letter was almost verbetim to what he sent me. Thank you for bringing me back to reality. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Thanks again and good luck to all in the future. Be careful!
 24th of Feb, 2010 by   JamesBadge 0 Votes
I am one of the Directors of AIN and wanted to
explain that these job postings have nothing to do with our company.
This individual is acting under several aliases and has never worked
for nor had any involvement with our company.

Some of the aliases include:
• Frank Thomas
• Michael Richardson
• Brian Peterson
• Mark Donald

We would obviously advise you not to respond to these job listings and
please feel free to contact us through our website if you have any
questions about this.

Best wishes,

James
 2nd of Mar, 2010 by   jb12 0 Votes
He has a new alias- Alfredo Franciso. This is his reply email:

Dear Applicant Thanks for your interests in the PA position My name is Aldredo Franciso, 40 years old, Originally from Texas, but I have spent my whole life here in United State. I'm a Business owner by profession and I have been pretty successful in a handful of ventures I get involved in, from the Angel Investment Network in Canada and United State to various welfare and community service programs, Presently i own utex industries I' often get my hands occupied, so it is imperative for me to have a worthy assistant who can monitor and keep me up to date with my activities.As my assistant, your activities amongst other things will include; *Running personal errands, supervisions and monitoring. *Scheduling programmed, flights and keeping me up to date with them. *Acting as an alternative telephone correspondence when I'm away. *Making regular contacts and drop-offs on my behalf. *Handling and monitoring some of my financial activities. Basic wage is $1500 for 2 weeks Please note that this position is not an office based Job for now because of my frequent travels and tight schedules, it's a part-time, work from home basis and the flexibility means that there will be busier weeks than others, so it's a little difficult judging the exact number of hours you'll be doing per week.If you can manage your time properly, this job may even give you some extra while you do something else on the side.As I have said, I'd want us to get a head start with things as soon as possible. I do have a pile up of work and a number of unattended chores which you can immediately assist me with, I hope we can meet up with the workload eventually. Permit me to use the coming week to test your efficiency and diligence towards all this, also to work out your time schedule and fit it to mine. I really need to find the perfect person for this job, I'm confident you can take up the challenge and on the long run we should have a relatively sound working relationship between us. I'm hardly on-line most of the time when I'm not out or in a meeting so we should be able to have a chat sooner than you think. Do try to keep a date.. I will be glad if you are willing to work with me as i do need someone thats committed and reliable. Get back to me and i will direct you with the link to continue the procedure in securing these offer. Alfredo Franciso.

Thank God I decides to look up Angel Investment Network!

Thanks everyone for reporting this scam,
Jessica
 4th of Mar, 2010 by   Chris112589 0 Votes
Here's another alias: Jana Calvin
 10th of Mar, 2010 by   suuze 0 Votes
Another alias, Dr. Marc (also a lawyer) out of country at the time of response. HA! Same scenario, responded to an ad on Craigs List for Administrative Assistant.
Suze
 14th of Mar, 2010 by   MarlaCusser 0 Votes
Here is another alias and too good to be true scenerio. I responded to an ad in my local paper and forwarded my resume on 1-21-10 to jackcollisson@mysteryshoppersguide.org and below is a copy of the exact reply I received on 3-13-10:

Hello,
I received your resume in response to the ad as posted for an Executive Assistant, I will deeply appreciate all genuine efforts to help me monitor and keep up to date with all my activities. I have had a previous PA who has been very commendable in her activities and who has been part of my life for the past 6 months, she has since returned to her country. I sincerely hope I will be able to find someone again who will be as efficient as she has been. I'm Jack, 52, originally from Australia, but I have spent a whole lot here in United States. I'm a lawyer by profession and I have been pretty successful in a handful of ventures I get involved in; from the Angel Investment Network in Canada and United States to various welfare and community service programs, I most very often get my hands occupied, so it is imperative for me to have a worthy assistant who can monitor and keep me up to date with my activities.

As my assistant, your activities amongst other things will include;
* Running personal errands, supervisions and monitoring.
* Scheduling programmes, flights and keeping me up to date with them.
* Acting as an alternative telephone correspondence when I'm away.
* Making regular contacts and drop-offs on my behalf.
* Handling and monitoring some of my financial activities.
* Basic wage is $550 a week

This position is home-based and flexible, working with me is basically about instructions and following them, my only fear is I may come at you impromptu sometimes, so I need someone who can be able to meet up with my irregular timings.There is also a very sensitive issue on trust and accountability which I believe will resolve itself as time goes on.. This is only an introductory e-mail, as time goes on we should be able to arrange a proper meeting to get things started officially. I'm currently in the Queensland Australia now for a summit, however, I do have a number of things you could help me with this coming week if you will be available for me. This can act as a stable foundation to our working relationship.
Cheers.

There is a mysteryshoppersguide.org website but now I am glad I googled Angel Investment. Guess even an ad in the paper doesn't make it legitimate.
 20th of Mar, 2010 by   j_mc 0 Votes
I got the same scam message...
Hello,

Thanks for your interests in the PA position i posted on CL, I deeply appreciate your genuine efforts on applying for this job position.

I just went through your resume and i think you have all it takes to be employed for this job position, I need PA to help me monitor and keep up to date with all my activities.I have had a previous PA who has been very commendable in her activities and who has been part of my life for the past 6 months, she has since returned to her country. I sincerely hope I will be able to find someone again who will be as efficient as she has been.

I'm Barry Backlays, 54 yrs of age, originally from Chicago, Illinois, I spent a whole lot of my life in Canada. I'm a lawyer by profession and I have been pretty successful in a handful of ventures I get involved in; from the Angel Investment Network in Canada and United State to various welfare and community service programs, I most very often get my hands occupied, so it is imperative for me to have a worthy assistant who can monitor and keep me up to date with my activities.

As my assistant, your activities amongst other things will include.
*Running personal errands, supervisions and monitoring.
*Scheduling programs, flights and keeping me up to date with them.
*Acting as an alternative telephone correspondence when I'm away.
*Making regular contacts and drop-offs on my behalf.
*Handling and monitoring some of my financial activities.

Basic wage is $500 a week

This position is home-based and flexible, working with me is basically about instructions and following them, my only fear is that I may come at you impromptu sometimes, so I need someone who can be able to meet up with my irregular timings.There is also a very sensitive issue on trust and accountability which I believe will resolve itself as time goes on. This is only an introductory e-mail, as time goes on we should be able to arrange a proper meeting to get things started officially.

I'm currently in the UK now for a summit, however, I do have a number of things you could help me with this week if you will be available for me. This can act as a stable foundation to our working relationship.

Mr. Barry Backlays
 21st of Mar, 2010 by   Juz Disgusted 0 Votes
Same thing with me. this is just wrong. but i had a gut feeling it wasnt real

Hello,

How are you doing today? I hope you're having a wonderful weekend...

My profile briefly:
I'm Gary James, 52, and a father of 2 wonderful kids. I am a medical consultant, a successful entrepreneur and investor, a member of the Angel Investment Network. I'm also a research journalist and I travel every now and then within and outside the US working on various independent projects, this is why I need someone who can help keep up to date with all of my activities especially when I'm away and amidst my busy schedule.

* General clerical activities.

Basic wage is $550 a week.

This is only an introductory e-mail, as time goes on we should be able to arrange a proper meeting to get things started officially. I'm currently in England now for a project, however, I do have a number of things you could help me with immediately, prior to my arrival. Due to the excessive number of responses to my Ad, do provide the following details about yourself for my personal record update and to filter applicants;

Gary James
 24th of Mar, 2010 by   NikNak 0 Votes
I cannot believe I fell for something like this. When I first did research I just typed in Angel Investors Network and got the real website. When "Frank Palmer" email me regarding a cashier's check all the red flags went up and I put everything on hold and did major research. I have reported to IC3 and have informed the credit bureau and my local police department. You never what these crazy people are going to do when things don't go their way.
 24th of Mar, 2010 by   NikNak 0 Votes

~I forgot to add this posting but I found position on Careerbuilder.com!!! It was under an adminstrative part-time position. So who ever these people are they have my entire work history and my home address. Ahhh don't know what other steps I need to take to make sure this creep doesn't do anything to my identity. Any suggestions?
 26th of Mar, 2010 by   elphantgirl 0 Votes
I recieved a money order after applying for the job... Ididnt realize until after that it was a scam. What do i do now?
 26th of Mar, 2010 by   lancealot 0 Votes
I am in the same boat as elephantgirl. I thought it may have been some kind of scam, but I was going to keep going with it just in case. I never thought they would actually send a money order of some type, once they did I knew something was up, but how does this particular scam work?
 31st of Mar, 2010 by   jamaicarocks 0 Votes
did anyone get paid?
 6th of Apr, 2010 by   fedupwithidiots 0 Votes
Here's a new one...He's getting sneaky! Adding World Hope International to the front... I had to reread and found AIN at the very end! I only pasted the first part, as the rest is the same as everyone elses...

Hello Applicant,

Hope you're having a pleasant day today?You contacted me applying for the position which I advertised on craigslist.org. Do take time to go through this introductory mail and feel free to pass any questions on.
My profile briefly:

I'm Mark Terry, 52, and a father of 2 wonderful kids, I was ones a Pathologist/researcher and I work with
World Hope International. World Hope International (WHI) is a faith-based relief and development organization alleviating suffering and injustice through education, enterprise, and community health. In collaboration with faith communities, like-minded organizations, and individuals around the globe, World Hope seeks to empower people by creating a broad spectrum of locally sustainable programs. These programs include economic development, leadership and skills training, child sponsorship, and community health education. World Hope works in and through the local faith community to bring spiritual, social, economic, and physical change. In the organization we are regarded as Hope corps which travel for volunteer program which facilitates short-term (one week to one year) outreach opportunities for professionals (medics, technicians, teachers, and businesspeople), college students, families, and individuals. Designed to accommodate a rapidly growing interest in service projects among youth and adults, Hope Corps connects volunteers with ministry projects specially suited to their skills. Service opportunities exist on a continual basis in various countries in Africa, Central America, Asia, and the Caribbean.But now i am a successful entrepreneur and investor, a member of the Angel Investment Network.I'm also a research journalist and I travel every now and then within and outside the US working on various independent projects, this is why I need someone who can help keep up to date with all of my activities especially when I'm away and amidst my busy schedule.

I have had a previous PA who has been very commendable in her activities and who has been part of my life for the past 6 months, she has since moved on with her personal life and it has affected me in a way. I found her previously on the craigslist website and I sincerely hope I will be able to find someone again who will be as efficient as she has been.Please note that you are being hired only on a personal level. All correspondences would be made and promptly reported to me personally.The position is part time and home-based meaning you can work most
times from your home as long as you have a regular internet access.You are also hired on a trial basis for now until we are able to see how well we fit in, this however does not affect your weekly wage.
 12th of Apr, 2010 by   Lauren8878 0 Votes
I just got the same thing only this time his name is Fank Palmer.

Hello,
I received your resume in response to the ad on Career Builder for a
Personal Assistant, I will deeply appreciate all genuine efforts to
help me monitor and keep up to date with all my activities. I have
had a previous PA who has been very commendable in her activities and
who has been part of my life for the past 6 months, she has since
returned to her country. I sincerely hope I will be able to find
someone again who will be as efficient as she has been. I'm Frank, 52,
originally from Australia, but I have spent a whole lot here in United
States. I'm a lawyer by profession and I have been pretty successful
in a handful of ventures I get involved in; from the Angel Investment
Network in Canada and United States to various welfare and community
service programs, I most very often get my hands occupied, so it is
imperative for me to have a worthy assistant who can monitor and keep
me up to date with my activities.

As my assistant, your activities amongst other things will include;
* Running personal errands, supervisions and monitoring.
* Scheduling programmes, flights and keeping me up to date with them.
* Acting as an alternative telephone correspondence when I'm away.
* Making regular contacts and drop-offs on my behalf.
* Handling and monitoring some of my financial activities.
* Basic wage is $550 a week

This position is home-based and flexible, working with me is basically
about instructions and following them, my only fear is I may come at
you impromptu sometimes, so I need someone who can be able to meet up
with my irregular timings.There is also a very sensitive issue on
trust and accountability which I believe will resolve itself as time
goes on.. This is only an introductory e-mail, as time goes on we
should be able to arrange a proper meeting to get things started
officially. I'm currently in the Queensland Australia now for a
summit, however, I do have a number of things you could help me with
this week if you will be available for me. This can act as a stable
foundation to our working relationship.
 12th of Apr, 2010 by   Lauren8878 0 Votes
I got the same scam but I checked it out before I responded he seems to have moved onto careerbuilder. I repoted the listing and I filed a complaint with the internet crime complaint center you can fill out the online complaint at : http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx
 13th of Apr, 2010 by   JazzieP 0 Votes
Hello,
I gotten the same email, just like everyone else. It just have a different name on it.

JOB DISCRIPTION: CUSTOMER SERVICE/PERSONAL ASSISTANCE.

Hope you're having a pleasant day today
You contacted me applying for the position which I advertised on craiglist. Do take time to

go through this introductory

mail and feel free to pass any questions on.

My profile briefly:

I'm Rich Carlos, 54, and a father of 2 wonderful kids, a successful entrepreneur and

investor, a member of the Angel

Investment Network. I'm also a research journalist with the ENEPRI and I travel every

now and then within and outside

keep up to date with all of my

activities especially when I'm away and amidst my busy schedule.

part of my life for the past

found her previously on the

craiglist website and I sincerely hope I will be able to find someone again who will be as

efficient as she has been.

made and promptly reported

times from your home as long as

able to see how well we fit

in, this however does not affect your weekly wage.

via posts. You will be

my assistant amongst other

things will include;
* Arranging travel and accommodation

other staff related to me;
* General clerical activities.
Basic wage is $600 a week.

otherwise will also be

reimbursed by me at the end of each working week.

doing, just bear it in mind

about instructions and

someone who can be able to meet

accountability which I believe

will resolve itself as time goes on.

meeting to get things started

things you could help me with

immediately, prior to my arrival.

yourself for my personal

record update and to filter applicants;

stable foundation to our

impending working relationship.

Regards

I got this response I did what it had ask but then today I got this

How would you like to start? do you want to setup a new bank account to start receiving payment? or do you want to use your existing bank account to speed up the process. my reply was
Hello I already have an account. Also what process do we need to speed up? then he relyed
You can call your bank and get wire transfer instruction from them, an email me the details so i can forward to my client to start receiving payment So I be again ask more questions
Ok. Don't I need to fill out any paper work first.
That is why i ask for your full details in first my first email and your info is already typed in my database..i will meet you in person as soon am back to the state
Okay. When would you actual like to start? Also, dont I need W2 to fill out as well?
I have your details already, Your full Name and contact details that is what i need for now Because this don't sound correct nor and informal. But I will keep asking question to let everyone know what I find

Timeshare Resale Fraud Warning