logo

Fake Passport Websites
Scam or Real?
4. (38 mins ago)
Weiss Comestic & Laser Procedures Blepharoplasty
Terrible/Horrible Asymmetry eyelids surgery (blepharoplasty)
5. (46 mins ago)

Posted:    Valerie

Ripped me off

American Strategic Insurance
www.americanstrategic.com
I had a policy with this insurance company for home insurance and into the 2nd year I noticed my bill went up from $3500 to $9000. This alerted me to call and find out why such a big jump. The guy on the phone told me it was because of hurricane Wilma yada, yada, yada. So for the past two years I paid $9000 for my home insurance. YES, I live in Florida..

In discussion with a colleague who works in the insurance business I enquired why do insurance companies suddenly up the amount after a hurricane. She kindly offered to look over my policy with me. Lo and behold AMERICAN STRATEGIC INSURANCE (ASI) had me in the wrong territory. I live no where near the beach yet I am placed in that territory. They also added on a lot of charges for stuff I did not have like I was charged for trampoline I have none...etc. I called several times at first the agent was very apologetic and said he would call the underwriter. Then he flipped and said there is no way I can prove that I am in the wrong territory and insurance companies use different territories so even if CITIZEN quotes me as not being on the beach that does not reflect on their system for territories.

So all in all guys they ripped me off for 2 years and when I called them out on it. They were not very helpful and refused to correct it or issue me a refund. Someone did not want to lose on their commission. I switched to CITIZENS by the way. Anyone thinking of using ASI please do your research on the policies the trick you into.
Comments United States Home Insurance / Warranty
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

13th of Nov, 2008 by   wes 0 Votes
I've yet to go into enough detail to corroborate your claim - however, I find it difficult to believe that a stretch of 20x18 custom wood floors is worth negative 260 dollars. I received a bill for 310 and a check for 50 at the same time after a deductible of 1900 on wood floors valued at over 5000.

Needless to say, I have several contractors coming in to give me official estimates tomorrow so that I can appeal this entirely ridiculous 'payment'... does anyone else have to pay their adjusters 300 bucks just to come out and spend 15 minutes to check out their floors?
 26th of Apr, 2010 by   Robert Fulton +1 Votes
ASI will do as they please when they please am in 4th month working with the cons artist if you find one that speaks english. Armondo seems to be the final word for them.
We pay what we want hire who we want and give you what we want doesn't matter you have paid the premiums.
RIP OFF !!!
 29th of Oct, 2010 by   angrylandlord +1 Votes
BE AWARE! DO NOT waste your money on American Strategic Insurance. They are con artists and they will lie and try any reason to deny claim even your house is trashed by renters. Worst insurance company ever and useless. After $11000 damage by renters, ASI refused to pay a dime even it took my agents one month to refurbish it:
The house had been refurbished last week. I have replace the damage front door and forced broken garage door.
The cleaning team spent a great deal of effort to get the filthy furniture, bedding material, dog's
droppings, out of house, to clean the stinky refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, kitchen cabinet.
My employee spent 2 days to pressure wash the swimming pool(dump the water first), He bought
a bucket of chlorine tablets to maintain the pool clean. Its sparkling blue now as shown in the
attachments.
It had been a tough task to exterminate the roaches. Initially I set the bombs(bug fogger) twice.
Every time I went to the house, I sprayed chemicals the whole down stair (at later days, sprayed in kitchen only).
Finally, the house is nearly bug-free and presentable.
The house is newly painted, looking very nice.
I also bought a new food disposal and 3 interior door knobs. I replaced myself.
The only things need to be installed are all the shelves in the closets up-stair.
I will bring a handyman to fix. The saga continues..

How can ASI sleep at night?
 14th of Jul, 2011 by   Insurance Guru 2011 +1 Votes
If you people would read your policy BEFORE something happens you would not be so surprised when a claim doesn't go your way. An insurance company is required to pay for a claim as long as the policy states it is covered they cannot legally deny a claim that is covered within the policy. On the same note, an insurance cannot pay a claim that specifically not covered, even if they wanted to. So the moral of the story...read your policy and don't always look for the cheapest policy on the market. Tell the agent you want a replacement cost policy and make him show you that is what you are getting.
 9th of Aug, 2012 by   unhappy ASI client 0 Votes
Hate ASI!! I had a claim for my roof which needed some help. I asked ASI to fix it and instead of just denying the claim, they just sent me a letter telling me the policy had been cancelled!! It's ok if it wasn't covered but to just cancel the policy??!! Thanks a lot guys! God forbid that you actually have a real claim ...
 6th of Oct, 2012 by   Salt0405 0 Votes
STAY AWAAAAAAY and Beware RIP OFF from ASI company. Their underwriter and IA are a con artist, bully, and a liar. Had a house fire on 06/27/2012 and up to now 10/05/2012 we still can not move back . They send you a check equal 1/3 what it costs for you to fix your house. When you confront with them, they said that's will be enough for you to rebuild your home. They let you choose your own contractor but your contract has to familiar with working with the insurance so they can only pay them the industrial rate means very low pay. You will get what you pay: discount contractor =discount product means discount quality. Had a Public Adjuster but only get a run around for more than 3 months. They also ask you how much do you make? what do you do? where do you work? who is your employer? do you relate to your employer? what is your SSN mortgage payment, cable bill, telephone bill, electric bill, water bill, ..ect. Everything about your personal history. The only question they did not ask is how many time you have sex a week. Still waiting...
 25th of Jan, 2013 by   Jo Dayao 0 Votes
BEWARE!!! This company is HORRIBLE!!! First off I am really not one to write reviews but I do not want others to be scammed by this company. Wish I would have read some of these negative reviews before I made the decision to go thru with this awful insurance but I assumed (which I shouldn't have) that since Nova home loans was affiliated with them it would be no problem. I made a claim and the insurance adjuster was quick to call back for my statement and after that it all went downhill... I was told she would call be back the following day and after a week I called her and left numerous messages and still no response. I then decided to call from a different phone number and sure enough she answered... She had promised again to call me back and 2 weeks went by and still no call, then I finally contacted them thru the website and messaged that I wanted to speak to her supervisor and what do know, I got a call back in less than an hour. How ridiculous!!! Anyway they denied my claim and sent me a letter canceling my insurance. These people are unbelievable! It seems like they are more than willing to take your premiums but once a claim is reported they deny it. They are voted one of the best companies to work for because they are probably scamming all of their customers and paying out great money to their employees.
 15th of Apr, 2013 by   Diss'd In CO 0 Votes
I just processed a claim through ASI for replacement of my front door that was kicked in during a home break-in/robbery. At ASI's request, I submitted two independent estimates to replace the door, and ASI selected the lesser of the two, as expected, but depreciated it by over 10$, not expected. I thought I had replacement coverage on the basic dwelling/structure. The claims adjuster was not very helpful or friendly when I questioned him about it-told me to talk to my local agent. My local agent said the policy is written with full replacement coverage on the dwelling/structure and referred me back to the adjuster.

Even more alarming, I checked my policy and now notice that coverage is capped at a ridiculously low amount.
Needless to say I am shopping for a new home insurance policy.

Dissatisfied in CO.
 26th of Jun, 2013 by   JLynne 0 Votes
I had my home built and I was in the Military when I had my home assured by ASI. I do not have a dwelling no attached to home...I saw that on my insurance when I was looking over my renewal. This made me look over the last two. Well home did I miss that in the second policy. I was livid. The told me they would reimburse me but they reimbursed me for only one month. I had the statement taken off and signed with them again. I was still expecting my reimbursement.. Well that never happened and I'd already signed the renewal. Well yesterday I received the policy for a renewal. But now I'm retired from the military and my attention to detail will will be a @iT$#!!! Thank you for you comments I have a month to shop for a new company...And I cannot believe USAA recommended them either...it makes me question them...Anyway my renewal made so many changed and excluded Sinkholes...The timing on that National Disaster and that change is suspect...But there was a long list of changes and now I'm actually trying to find out what they are covering...What the????!!!
 18th of Sep, 2013 by   Hales family 0 Votes
ASI is the worst excuse for an insurance company I have ever seen. I had a home insurance policy through Farm Bureau which is underwitten by ASI. I called ASI to ask for a copy of the policy since I had lost the original. They asked me if there was anything I had a question about and I said that I may want to add flood insurance to it, but wanted a copy first. What did I get in the mail? A cancellation notice saying that the reason was 'water damage' and 'claim paid' was $0. I called the number on the letterhead 877-874-5289 and I get a recorded message for DirectTV. I called Farm Bureau who said they would check into it and I have not heard back from them. Disgusted with both of them. As of Oct. 2013, going with State Farm which is where I should have gone to begin with.
 2nd of Oct, 2013 by   Joe Lucky 0 Votes
Got news for you folks that think that a company with a big name like State Farm is any better than any of the smaller companies. Here in Alabama State Farm is canceling polices right and left if you submit a claim. I myself was a victim. I had been with State Farm for 37 years ( autos & home) with no claims until last year. Had two claims in one year and now they cancel. Said I was high risk. Well I got the best price from American Strategic and we'll just have to see how it goes. Seems to be a crap-shoot with any company these day anyway.
 29th of Apr, 2014 by   DannyJ 0 Votes
I have State Farm. Just got off the phone with the "wonder woman" from ASI who has "saved me hundreds and hundreds of dollars" if I switch. I am glad I came here. I will not take this company. Thanks for the info. As for the guy with State Farm, Joe Lucky, Joe, all I can say is I am about the same as you. But never had a canceled policy from them. I am very upset that my car insurance is so high and I have no accidents, tickets, etc. for well over 30+ years. Both of us are good drivers and I don't understand why our rates are so high, along with the house, etc. tagged on to it. I know after reading all this, I will not sign up with AGI whom I only know on the phone. At least I can go down the highway to the state farm guy's office. HE can't hide from me.
 3rd of Aug, 2014 by   Adams Roofing 0 Votes
I am a roofing contractor and all I can say is stay away from ASI.. Every claim through them is denied if visual damage.Even if you have gotten approved both neighbors beside that home and 15 more on the same street. Then if you call for a re inspect the ask if the contractor would just submit an estimate for the cost because they do not want to send out and pay for another indepent adjuster fee. Then once you submit the estimate they argue and argue and argue about what it would really cost. They are a very bad insure. Co. To deal with and homeowners better beware!!
 3rd of Aug, 2014 by   Adams Roofing 0 Votes
Do not go with this company!!! ASI are horrible. They will deny every claim and will fight not to pay. The are the worst BAD FAITH insure co. Out there!!!
 7th of Aug, 2014 by   Karen Piscataway 0 Votes
ASI -NJ and it's affiliate here, INSURANCE ANSWER CENTER, LLC, epitomize the worst in customer service, and shady business practices. The ONLY mailed correspondence I have received from the is notice of policy cancellation; their customer service rep is curt, unprofessional, and told me that the only notification required from them as a TELEPHONE CALL! That's what I got from Ms. Hopkins when I requested copies of my policy and paperwork regarding their decision to cancel my policy, which was already paid in full, after their inspector did a visual inspection and discovered an "issue" with my roof . FYI, The ASI rep left a voicemail for me on a telephone number that is not mine, and when I pointed this out to their representative, Ms. Hopkins, her response was ALL THAT IS REQUIRED IS A TELEPHONE CALL. Would be nice if they made it to the CORRECT telephone number AND followed it up with a written explanation before mailing out a cancellation notice. Nothing but problems and unprofessional- ism from this company. STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!
 17th of Aug, 2014 by   Arnol +1 Votes
I'm a general contractor in Georgia and one of my clients, insured through Farm Bureau, is going through a nightmare claims experience with ASI. An A/C drain line broke in the attic above their master bedroom and the slow leak ruined insulation, drywall, and paint in three rooms. Black mold had formed by the time the leak was discovered.
I've been a contractor for 36 years and I've worked several hundred insurance over time
time but I've never seen any company lie, stall, ignore calls, and be less helpful than these guys. My client, along with his wife and two children has been living in a hotel for two weeks at his own expense while ASI dithers. His adjuster went on vacation right in the middle of this and no one else in her office seemed to have a clue.
The client has finally contacted the Georgia Insurance Commissioner's office and they have become involved. I would suggest this approach to anyone who has to deal with these people. SURE THEY OFFER RATE SAVINGS. THEY EXTORT ENOUGH SAVINGS FROM CLAIMS THAT ARE NOT PAID TO OFFSET THE COST.
 17th of Aug, 2014 by   Karen Piscataway 0 Votes
I ended up filing complaints with the BBB in Florida (ASI headquarters) and the NJ Insurance Regulatory Board.
ASI's response to me via the BBB website was extremely weak- claimed they had no record of my complaint, blamed the entire scenario on their NJ agent, and instructed me to call their complaint hotline to further assist me.
My response to them via the BBBB was that their reply showed insufficient and that first and foremost IF they had bothered to READ my complaint against them through the BBB website, then they should have mailed me the requested paperwork.
Instead, what I received from them in the mail was an invoice for additional monies owed, again sent to my previous address, and to boot, the letter was dated Aug. 7, but the due date on the invoice is for April 2015!!!
STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!
 17th of Aug, 2014 by   Karen Piscataway 0 Votes
I ended up filing complaints against ASI last week with the BBB in Florida (ASI headquarters) and the NJ Insurance Regulatory Board.
My response to them via the BBB was that their reply was totally insufficient, and that first and foremost IF they had bothered to READ my complaint against them through the BBB website, then they should have mailed me the requested paperwork.
Instead, what I received from them in the mail was an invoice for additional monies owed, again sent to my previous address, and to boot, the letter was dated Aug. 7, but the due date on the invoice is for APRIL 2015!!!
STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!
 10th of Oct, 2014 by   Alan D 0 Votes
I too filed a complaint with the BBB a week ago and their response didn't address my complaint. I'm contacting every government agency to look into their scrupulous practices. I I find it more than just coincidence that ASI approved a rate increase exactly one day after my policy went into effect on. Dec 2, 2013. They said the department of insurance approved the rate increase. I actually find it quite suspect and If the department of insurance approved a 27% rate hike than I want to see this. I have already contacted the The Department of Regulatory Agency (DORA) for Colorado as we'll to look into what can only be described as a classic bait and switch tactic by a fairly large Insurance company to earn my business. There have been no major disasters to speak of since my policy went into effect and absolutely none in Peyton and Falcon Colorado where I reside for years. I completely understand the need to raise rates but based on their own response my replacement cost went up 1% and they raised my rates to the tune of 27%. I have never seen an increase anywhere close to this amount from any insurance company in my lifetime. When I called ASI to discuss this I was told that the reason for the increase was because of the no payout claim that I stated in my complaint and ASI didn't even mention this in their response. I do not think an insurance company can legally raise rates this high because of a zero payout claim and without justification. There are several government agencies in place to protect the consumer and I will exhaust every one to make sure my rights are not being trampled upon and that ASI is operating in accordance with the law and policies of the State of Colorado. Nothing has changed with my home, my county or my circumstance to make me a high risk client since my policy went into effect to justify this steep of an increase.

How to Buy a Digital Camera