logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Lottery Mobile Draw UK
1,820,000 Pound win, where did they get my number? Are they legit?
2. (28 mins ago)
GE Profile
Stay away
3. (40 mins ago)
MTC Truck Driver Training
services not complete and discrimination
4. (55 mins ago)
Plenty of Fish
abusive dating site, removes profiles with no explanation, supports predators...
5. (1 hr 1 mins ago)
birds by joe
SELLS DEADLY BIRDS WITH DISEASES

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

American Income Life, N Royalton Ohio, Ohio Complaints & Reviews - Scam!!

American Income Life Contacts & Informations

American Income Life

Posted:    Jay

Scam!!

American Income Life
N Royalton Ohio, Ohio
My name is Jason. Before you concider employment with this billion dollar company, I ask you read this review I have posted as it may save you MUCH of the aggrivation, time, and money, that it cost me. I did not take the time to type this up because I have way too much time on my hands, I simply typed it because I want others to learn from my "and others" crucial mistakes. I was first hired with A.I.L in "N. Royalton Ohio, " about the end of July 2008. I was promised riches as long as I was a go-getter, and was willing to work long hours. I was in construction for most of my life, and concidered myself very capable of both of these. Apparently, they agreed as I was hired rather quikly, "just as everyone else was with no experience in sales once so ever." I sacrificed EVERYTHING for this job. EVERYTHING in my life was put on hold so that I could give this job the attention I THOUGHT it deserved. I was told that i would be paid training, so that it would be easier for someone like myself to make the career change. The state exam for your insurance lisence is not easy, and you do have to pay for it out of pocket everytime you fail by the way. It took me only twice luckly. I spent both time..."about one month" and money "about $500" after all the application fees and whatever else to obtain my insurance lisence. Once I finally obtained my lisence, I was given a 4 page script that i had to memorize, word for word!! I did not like the fact they didn't tell me about it at first, but hey...i'm a "go-getter." So i sucked it up, and memorized it. This took me an additional 3 weeks to do "for free." Once i acheived this, i was put in a one week training class that was NOT PAID. When I mentioned the fact that I was told I was going to be paid for training, "hurting for some money by this point as you can imagine, " I was told I misunderstood, as the class is paid for, not me. I am not a stupid man!! I know what i was told!! In fact, if it wasn't for that one little detail about the job, I probably would not have taken it. They also told me they did not like me asking questions and pretty much told me to shut up "in there own words." So just like before, I sucked it up and kept going. If you play poker..."I was pot invested, " I had no choice. This is where those "LONG HOURS" started. We would start class at 9 oclock, got out at 4. Then I was instructed to drive to wherever my manager was to sit in on presentations of the bennefits. My first "attempt" at a presentation was at 9 o'clock the same night of my first training day. I did not get home until 11 0'clock!! "FREE MIND YOU!!" 9 to 11...whats that?? 14 hours!?!? When I was dropped off back at my car, I was instructed to go home and read my script more, rather then get some rest for tomorrow morning. The next few nights were the same, not giving me anytime to study any of the material given to us "AND EXPECTED TO KNOW, " in class. So about half way through the class week, I was told about all the postings from former employers and anyone who was/is affiliated with the company in any way shape or form. 95% of what I read was BAD!! And I read alot! No one had anything good to say about this company. I guess i'm not that smart of a man, other wise I would have found this on my own, way back when I was hired!! HAHA...jokes on me I guess. Anyways, the last day of training class was...actually today October 2 2008. The class had ended at 4, and as soon as I walked out I was fired by my manager because MARCUS SMITH, the rich snobby asshole who runs the joint, didn't have the balls to do it himself, even though he was standing right there. I was fired because someone overheard me talking about the sight with the same person who told me about it. We were both concerned "AS I'M SURE YOU CAN IMAGINE!" Now wouldn't you say it's disturbingly ironic they fired me with no hesitation at all once they found out I knew about the sight? They also said they didn't like the fact I wasn't willing to work 15 hours a day for training even after all i had a acheived thus far! Common sense will tell you that is no way to efficiently train someone! Please...do your research! These people are very good at what they do, and somehow scam thousands like myself. I am a very religious christian "AS THEY CLAIM TO BE, " and DO NOT want this to happen to anyone else, even though I know it will. All the numbers are in black in white if you just look for um. Absolutly no one stays with this company unless their dad is an S.G.A. who pays um a rediculous amount of money out of pocket. Of course its your decision you whether or not you listen to me...I pray to to the allmighty Jesus Christ that you do.
God Bless all of you
Comments United States Business & Finances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

13th of Oct, 2008 by   Edward +1 Votes
Hello everyone. I just received a phone call today from AIL and scheduled an interview with me for wednesday. After reading this comment I will be canceling the interview. Thank you for posting your comments for everyone to read. 60, 000 yearly sounds great but to good to be true. I don't understand how people make a living by scaming people. May the Lord give them what they deserve. Thanks again for this great information.
 15th of Oct, 2008 by   Kenny G +1 Votes
I just received this weird call from AIL for an interview today (15OCT08). The only difference from my call is $70, 000/year. I must be better qualified.
Anyways, after reading all these comments that are all complaints, I will reguard it as SPAM!
Thanks for the postings
 24th of Oct, 2008 by   Drew +1 Votes
Jay I to was employed there for 6 months and left. I have met Mr. Smith and many others. Unfortunately you had an individual thought of information. Trust me their only threat is logical thought. You were fired before you could spread what they would consider a disease of disloyalty.

If anyone is about to work there before you invest a dime tell the manager you want to see the weeekly pay reports for the previous 4 months. If they decline you it's because hey know their agents are barely scraping by...

Read: http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/american-income-life-insurance-company--ail-c100308.html

I hope you survived your encounter with the black hole and are alright now.
 24th of Oct, 2008 by   La Toya +1 Votes
They emailed me. I goggled them. Findings is Horrible!!!
 23rd of Dec, 2008 by   Linda +1 Votes
Sadly, I've gone through the same situation as Jason...

My encounter with AIL was right after I graduated from college in May. I was applying for jobs left and right and, when I got the call to interview with AIL, I was blinded by the "opportunities" that were promised. Luckily, I passed my license exam on the first try and flew through my training. I was in the field in no time -- much thanks to the fudged "release" reports that my field trainer produced to allow me to get out in the field and sell, sell, sell.

Once I started, I realized that their idea of "opportunities" meant blindly following a cult-like organization. I was sexually harrassed in the office and belittled by my GA/field trainer. Brainwashed by management, I put up with the abuse for too long because I didn't want anyone to think I was a "cancer" or a source of negativity.

When I wasn't selling as much as my management wanted, Marcus told me he would help me out and find a new territory. I was considered "lucky" to get new leads in a territory almost 2.5 hours away from my house.

After a horrible 3 months as an agent, I left AIL. I walked out and never looked back. I can't say that I didn't learn from this experience -- it made me realize how important my sanity and my family are to me. Both were lost during my time at AIL.
 31st of Dec, 2008 by   JRPapollo +1 Votes
Ah well, time for me to tell my story; if only I'd found this website (or the many others like it) before accepting employment from American Income Life. First off let me start with this: make no mistake, AIL is a multilevel marketing scheme. They are rated A+ superior, yes, however this speaks only to their solvency, not their business ethics. Yes, the stock profile is better than average, but they make their money by cashing in people like you and me.
Not only is AIL the most unprofessional company I have ever worked for (I have worked for two small businesses that operate in the owners home, both were leaps and bounds more professional than AIL), but it is without a doubt the least ethical (by again, leaps and bounds). I paid an expensive price for my naivety (at this point, I have $9.67 in my checking account and 37.40 in my savings account. I spent over two grand for this job, stupid me); my hope is that others can avoid the disaster I suffered by finding my story, and the story of others, online.
Forget what they tell you in the job description about 'helping people' and being a 'manager trainee program.' Here is the job, mislead people on the phone to get them so schedule an appointment, enter their home under false pretenses, and then emotionally manipulate them as much as possible to try and get them to buy life insurance they may or may not need.
Now, I understand that emotional manipulation is an intrinsic part of advertising and sales, however, this is not the part that is really despicable. It's the 'entering people's homes under false pretenses' part. You are going into someone's home, having just short of lied to them about why you are even there; that act is not moral. And then on top of that, your job is to assault them with underhanded sales techniques until they cave and buy a life insurance policy. In this job, you are essentially a door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesman. They just want any excuse to get their foot in the door so they can sell someone. I am not capable of doing that, so I quite.
They tell you that you won't have to work hard... I was working up to fourteen hours a day, and I was working seven days a week. I should mention, I did that willingly and was never late (my manager was almost always late), and I barely slept for about three weeks. I am not afraid of hard work; I worked my way through college for a BS in math. Twenty to thirty hours a week at a job and college full time is hard work. So please understand, I left the company because I could not reconcile the business practices of this company with my conscience, not because they wanted me to work hard (though strangely, they kept insisting that the job was 'easy, ' and 'you only had to work smart, not hard').
When I quit, my GA was very professional. I handed her a letter of resignation, and she said, “Okay. I'll need your leads so we can reconcile them.” She was fine about it (I imagine she'd been through someone quiting about a million times before). But then, my SGA wanted to see me (I presumed for an exit interview). He basically just berated me for a while. Looking back, I don't really see what the point of that was. He had always had a lot of hope for me. I think he could tell that I am a hard worker. Also, I passed the state exam the first time, which no one else I encountered at the office had done (most took it about three times, some more). So, perhaps he was just angry to lose me. I tried to remain professional, he didn't stop the verbal barrage until I used the phrase, “bait and switch.” I used it to describe what they do in people's homes (basically, “here are some free benefi-BuySomeLifeInsurance!!!) Wow, just thinking back, what an absolutely horrible experience, and it gets even better.
Now that I quit, they apparently aren't going to pay me my first pay check. Or they aren't going to pay me the full amount anyways. When I went out with my “leads” (more on those later) and my manager did the closing, I was supposed to get paid for those. Now, they're basically making my commission a lot less because I quit, which is illegal in the state of Maryland. So, just to get my pay check (my minuscule conciliation price of $700) I have to file a compliant form in district court. Yes that's right, just to get my pay check from this company, I have to take them to court... awesome (sarcasm).
Please anyone reading this, just save yourself the misery and stay away from this company. If you want to do sales, great. There are many non-MLM sales jobs out there for you, where you won't have to be a scum bag. If you really want to sell life insurance, great. There are many reputable companies out there to work for that won't screw you over.
Phew, so many things to talk about with this company. Next, lets talk about those “leads.” They aren't actually leads. Leads, would be people who maybe wants to buy life insurance, these are not those people. Your “leads” might as well be a random sampling of the population. These poor people are those who have requested no cost benefits through there union. How is that related to, they want to buy life insurance? It isn't! Basically, AIL strikes a deal with a union to provide minuscule no cost benefits in exchange for getting a salesperson into the home of some union member. If I were in a union that dealt with AIL, I'd be pretty upset.
It's strange, but I went through different phases with this company. They had me so sold on them at first (how naive I was). I was ready to work hard and sacrifice. By the end, however, I could see right through my SGA's bullshit. When he was verbally assaulting me for my 'exit interview, ' half the things he said didn't even make sense. In a way, it was sort of sad. It was amazing, in only four and a half weeks time, I went from idolizing my SGA, to feeling sorry for him.
On a side note, it's interesting, I read one comment about how a new-hire's car was nicer than their manager's. That was the case for me too, and I was just a working student! And another odd thing, my SGA was all about God. I think he was basically using “The Secret” as a motivational tool for his employees. Please keep in mind, I'm not saying it's odd that he is very religious, that is completely common and normal. What's odd is how he sort of forced it on me (and everyone else). Throughout the office, there are messages on dry erase boards about how 'though God all things are possible.' What things are they talking about? Ripping people off to make band? I'm no deity, but I'm pretty sure swindling people is wrong. Not to mention, the SGA makes almost a million dollars a year on his MLM empire. I'm pretty sure I remember something from Bible school about it being easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter heaven. I'm just saying, I think this definitely qualifies as irony. The other thing where he really pressed the issue was when he said that God was the only thing that could center you. It was a very awkward moment in the training class for me, because he made everyone in the room say that God centers them. Firstly, I personally believe that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. I happen to not believe in any sentient creator being. He rode me until I more or less said that I believed in God and that God is the only thing that can center me. I should have seen a red flag at that point. I think I was just still so sold on the whole thing. But, I digress.
Looking back, I don't know how they ever fooled me. I guess I just wanted to believe that there was some sort of short cut to wealth. And perhaps, if one has no concern for integrity, then there is. For me however, no paycheck is worth that. That is a bit comforting to know, but I still don't know how I'm going to pay my bills this month...
So please, please, learn from my mistake. Don't work for American Income Life. I know the job market is tough right now, but save yourself the indignity.
 27th of Jan, 2009 by   vlp +1 Votes
I am so glad I checked out this company online. I have an "interview" schedulded with the AI in Charlotte NC with Jim Logan this Thurs 01/29/09. I thought something was odd about all of this too. I really need a job just as much as everyone else who is looking but there is no way no how that I will go to that interview. I think it is a shame for them to get a persons hopes up for a job. Hang in there my fellow job seekers and know you are not alone in your search.
 20th of Mar, 2009 by   mikel799 -1 Votes
To the original poster - the best part about your whole blog was when you claimed to be a Christian AFTER you called Marcus Smith a "rich snobby asshole with no balls". Shame on you! Christians do not talk this way... "by their fruits, ye shall know them"
 15th of May, 2009 by   scam!! 0 Votes
Its not a scam exactly bc the product is actually pretty good. However, the hiring and treatment of the agents is awful. I didnt even have a very poor experience working with them, but it was their ethics that drove me away. They do hire absolutely everyone, make you go through training and take exams for your license all of which is out of pocket. They mislead you on the pay. When you start you dont necessarily get the "best selling markets" so you have a rough time making sales, and then they make you sucker in more people to come work for them. I worked in the Denver office and the management is horrible!! They are rude, even to the point of being sexist, bc they know they'll just be getting a new batch of "agents" coming in. Definitely dont work for AIL!! Its not worth the stress, mistreatment, and costs
 18th of Jun, 2009 by   Donna W. 0 Votes
Wow! I am so glad that I read this. They called me out of the blue today and said the same things..found your resume on monster.com, bring an updated resume and dress professionally. I thought that was a bit odd since I am 53 years old and an RN, PhD! Like I don't know how to dress professionally??? If it quacks like a duck, it is a duck! I have learned over the years to trust my intuition.
Donna
 23rd of Jul, 2009 by   Abel86 0 Votes
Thank God I researched this first. I was actually gonna go to the second interview.
 3rd of Aug, 2009 by   Mchel81 0 Votes
My resume is always posted on several diffrent sites because I am a federal employee and like to know of opportunities with different federal agencies. I got a call from AIL and they said they'd seen my resume. I asked what site and what position where they filling, and just like so many of the complaints I've read they were vague with their answers. When I told the HR person I was a federal employee and wished to remain, she actually said we are affiliated. That is just a bold face lie, government employees are offered their benefits through their agency. I began thinking this sounded shady so I started to do some research on this company and found this site. I am so sorry this scam has happend to so many people. I am going to turn the information I have into some people I know. Maybe if it goes through the right channels their can be charges filed or at least a lawsuit. For everyone who was negatively affected by this SCAM I wish you the best
 26th of Aug, 2009 by   Paul Lund 0 Votes
There are multiple offices in every state in the U.S., Canada and New Zealand. Can you speak for the entire company or just your own experience one office?
 24th of Sep, 2009 by   blue who 0 Votes
I have a funny story to tell.

Day 1: My first day no one knows that I am even supposed to be there. I had passed my test first time, and paid for everything. No big deal. So I show up they stick me with an agent who puts me in a office so i can memorize a 3pg script, while he goes to an agent meeting. While I am in there i can hear a managers meeting going on in the next room. The head manager is yelling "F&@% this" and "F^*# that" at everyone telling them that when they go out there, they are going to war. This lasted for about an hour. I laughed but because i am stupid i hung around. After lunch there was another meeting and this time i got to go. Theres loud rap music playing before the meeting and the managers come in and everyone starts clapping. during the pep talk the manager says, "weather its your first day or you've been here a year" implying a year is a long time to be there. He said also how if your not makeing certian crazy levels in sales your fired (from a job in which you incurr all the selling expenses). Then at the end we all got up and prayed and guess who lead us, the guy screaming the F%$# at everyone earlier that moring.
That night at 11pm i get a call from my trainer, "we are going out tommarow. we are gonna drive 3 hours to get there don't worry i'll get you a gas card."(still waiting)

Day 2: So idrive down there with him and we harass old people for their phone book, bust into peoples homes under the false impression that we have something free from them, and heres the false part, NOTHING ELSE. then the guy keeps saying its my "Fudiciary responsibility to get you to buy this!" everyone looked at him like he was retarded. They all said the same thing "I get this at work for a lot less" or "I think i have aflac." when i asked about the product it seems as though the "freedom of choice" is a whole life policy that they package as a funeral benefit (not to sure if thats what it is, but if it is then thats wrong). you don't package insurance to appear to be something its not. So i get out of the car and drive 3 hours home.

Day 3
I wake up read the play book see some questionable things. I call Department of Insurance. Drop off my book call my boss tell him where he can find his book :)

DAY 2:
 14th of Apr, 2010 by   jblod 0 Votes
I was there today, from what I saw, it was a nightmare. The guy I interviewed with was a complete joke. His pitched was practiced and rehearsed, and he had problems when you asked "tough" questions. He would confidently lie to your face, and talk about what he his doing helps so many people. He was a little skinny dorky guy that thought he was cool. He wanted me to show up for the group interview the next day...yeah, right! You maybe making a lot of money, but scamming people is not how I plan to make it. Keep staring at my legs you dork, brush your teeth and smoke less and a shower would be nice, you are gross. Go back to Eastern Europe and find a dirty hairy girl...ewwwwwwww.
 7th of Jun, 2010 by   aec8507 0 Votes
Wow, I can't believe all of this! I am amazed... I have recieved a phone call, EXTREMELY similar to the calls everyone else from this company recieved. I went to the interview in an unmarked building and had to sign my name on a list, and everyone on the list was interviewing with the same man I was. I was called back by another gentleman for a one on one interview. He asked me a few questions, then said basically my job history didn't match to their company at all, which wouldn't be a problem. Then I was guided to a room with 11 other people, 3 working for AIL, 7 other people just like me. After the 2.5 hour presentation and talk, I filled out the personality profile and talked to the leading manager for about 15 minutes... that night at 6pm was called back for a second interview. The next day, I show up for the interview and the door was locked. I was only 3 min early! I go to the side of the unmarked building... and another company was in the front. They said "Oh, you must be looking for AIL, right this way..." I figured, oh well, at least they are still there, must be a silly mistake. As the woman took me to the other door, we found it to be locked. I thought "incredible... what is going on here?" She returned to her office for the key, and the guy who wanted to do the second interview with me actually opened the door and asked, "Can I help you?" I was a little shocked as I was just in his office yesterday and saw him for a total of 3 hours that he had no recognition of me. I said with little confidence, "Yes, I'm here for the second interview, with you?" He said, "OH! I'm sorry, you look exactly like the girl who works in the front office there, have you seen her? I swear you are identical... thats why I thought you were her" and I blew it off, relieved the door was opened and I was given some sort of explaination. He was interviewing a woman I saw yesterday from the first interview. The office was empty of anyone else, and it was Friday morning. After she left, I was taken to his office. I waited alone for a few minutes and noticed a whiteboard with the names of the individuals who worked for the company that were in the first interview with me. Near them they had APL= Annualized Life Premiums by their names and what weekly bonus rating they were at. All of them had good numbers by them, with the lowest APL rating being in the 600s (and I assume only one sale) to over 2000 for several. I thought, well it looks people are making money around here. He came back into the office and we talked about the 4 negative reasons why this job is hard, and asked if I could look past those. I thought for sure I could. After the 20-30 min interview I was told I got the job, and he and I were both very excited about me working there. I actually felt accomplished and proud. In the interview, before I left he told me to call him when I have enough money to get the schooling for my liscense started. I would have to meet with him, just to be sure I was on the correct website, etc. I got the money, and called him... then instead of meeting with me as he said he would, he over the phone gave me instructions on how to get started on the course online. I purchased the course, had been studying the information... then remembered he wanted me to look something up about the company on u-tube. As I did a search on AIL I saw all these "scam" comments etc. My heart started to drop a little... and as I read them I thought, "how can this be, oh well someone didn't work hard like I am going to" and as I read on... I realized this is happening to many people, and people don't take time to complain about something on the computer unless it is really bad, really hurtful, or a financial burden and only want to warn others of their endevour. So I decided I'm going to call my "manager" and ask him about all this and see what his reaction is. If he lets me go, I'm not out much except the $129 it cost to get the schooling for my liscense. At least I can take that anywhere... As I said I don't know what else to say... I wish it werent a scam and things would go well as I had been looking for a job for some time, and this one seemed to come right to me. I wish all of you the best of luck and can make your own judgements... God Bless
 29th of Jun, 2010 by   gtpwr 0 Votes
I just got an email from a "Cindy Furer" at American Income. I knew it was a scam from the get-go because of the way they phrased their generic email.

I just want to say thank you for posting your experience. I'm so sorry that you had a miserable experience. These types of companies should not exist or they should disclose their policies in writing by law. This makes me quite angry that these types of companies are taking advantage of the current economic hardships to prey on desperate people (it seems that they have recently begun a new wave of mass emails to catch potential prey).

I would suggest that you all WRITE TO YOUR REPRESENTATIVE with your experiences and concerns and add this link. This type of thing should not go on in the this day and age (like the cheap infomercials). It's a long shot, but maybe something can be done legally to make these types of companies be more ethically forthcoming in writing before anyone has to experience the misfortune of considering them.

What does the BBB have to say about them, I wonder?

There have been thousands of people who have read this, so it seems to be an epidemic of sorts.
 7th of Feb, 2012 by   K. Rollins 0 Votes
I received a phone call today for an interview. I was told they felt I was qualified to be interviewed after reading my resume on Monster.com. I was asked what my salary requirement was, and told I could receive from $50.000 - 60.000.
After reading these reviews, I too will NOT be attending an interview. In fact, the caller never mentioned insurance. I was told about union packages. Thank you for the heads up. K.Rollins
 29th of Mar, 2012 by   SuperAgent 0 Votes
Funny that I make 4000 a week here. The only reason I believe I do that is because I believed it was real. The first few weeks are called "boot camp". Lol. It's to seperate the weak from the strong. Well I can take a guess where everyone on here is. This opportunity changed my entire life. The owner is a Christian man and if you did the research, you would know he is in ministry. Every single week, agents make anywhere from 500- to thousands a week in just bonus money. That isn't even their weekly paycheck. The numbers are in fact very real. I have only been here over 6 months and I know that my first few weeks were worth every cent. Oh, and by the way, I did get paid during my training because I sold business. You must not have. Bummer. Good luck in the future. American Income Life Agents are in the highest paid bracket of all insurance agencies.
 11th of May, 2012 by   RickAltigsucks 0 Votes
Super Agent

Again, you are the clearest example of the "agent' that AIL goes after. Someone who is young and dumb enough to believe that everything they have been telling you is the truth. There is so much wrong with your post I'm not sure where to begin. Instead, let's focus on your last sentence, "American Income Life Agents are in the highest paid bracket of all insurance agencies." Please provide the empirical evidence to back that up. Cause all I see is how your renewal contract is one of the worst in the industry. I know they are telling you its the best, but just for fun, prove it to me. Once you do that we can discuss everything else that is wrong with your post. Primarily the need that, given how "successful" you are, you still feel the need to come on here and proclaim to the world that the 4k you claim to make per week is something to be proud of.

Avoid Work-At-Home Scams!