logo

Axis Human Capital Limited Consumer Review

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

American Income Life Insurance, Colorado Springs, Colorado Complaints & Reviews - AIL is a fraud!

American Income Life Insurance Contacts & Informations

American Income Life Insurance

Posted:    Elena M. Giordano

AIL is a fraud!

American Income Life Insurance
1365 W. Garden of the Gods Rd.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
www.ailife.com
I was hired as an agent with a life insurance company called American Income Life about three weeks ago. After laying out about $490 for licensing and travel up to Denver for a week, I started field "training" -- without any compensation. During this time, in the midst of my unscheduled and unpaid 12-14 hour days, I consistently witnessed agents lying to prospective clients AND prospective new hires. They also require new agents to learn various scripts, word-for-word, before they would release us on our own to start earning income. These scripts were also very misleading in many ways. Needless to say, I had some serious problems with this way of doing business...

So, I confronted the issue with my field trainer. His response was simply a pathetic attempt at justification. I even called my dad and asked his advice on how to confront the situation. [That was almost a once-in-a-lifetime thing!] I decided I'd play their game until I could get out on my own, then I would conduct my business in an honest and ethical manner. What a concept!!!

I didn't bring it up again with any managers until after a week and a half in field training. I did, however, make the mistake of mentioning on various occasions to fellow trainee agents that I was not happy about being forced to be dishonest each time I came in contact with a prospect. They seemingly had no issues with it, as they obviously complained to our manager about it.

Then two days ago, I arrived in the office after lunch. Louis, my 20-year-old, money hungry manager, tells the other two new agents to leave his office. So I'm left there alone with him as he asks me straight out if I want to work there anymore. I had mixed thoughts on the matter, so I said yes, however, I feel there are some serious issues that need to be addressed. We then talked a few more minutes about all these issues, only for Louis to conclude that I was a negative influence on the other trainee's and the office as a whole. And I wasn't willing to work hard enough. [This stems from the fact that I had a serious problem with being dishonest... and because I was unwilling to arrive each morning promptly at 8 am and stay until 9:45 pm; with NO COMPENSATION.]

I was then impolitely asked to leave because I was unwilling to accept their way of doing business. So, needless to say, not only am I out a job, I just laid out almost $500 for a job that no longer exists. Not to mention wasting almost an entire month! You have no idea how badly I desire to see a few life insurance policies paid out... I want to tell EVERYONE I come in contact with about this company, and to make sure you never do business with this organization. YOU WORK TOO HARD TO WASTE YOUR MONEY.

I am personally beginning AN HONESTY CAMPAIGN. Something they cannot even comprehend! It goes against their very nature!!! Assist me in this fight!
Comments United States Job & Career
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

15th of Jan, 2008 by   Jeremy Nasta 0 Votes
Thanks for posting this. They prey on those that are looking for a good job and without some postings on what a scam they are, who would know? They keep emailing me and now are calling me. I won't waste my time.
Thanks
 4th of Feb, 2008 by   googler 0 Votes
Get these all the time. Next time, just google the company and the person's name. You'll be amazed at what shows up.
 6th of Feb, 2008 by   Lawrence Wolff -1 Votes
The only ones who complain, are the ones who can't take the business! and its fine! the insurance business IS NOT for everyone! it is not a scam, it is the best company i have ever worked for, for that matter the ONLY insurance company that actually gives you leads (free of charge) to go out and see, every week!

For the script, would a doctor operate on a patient if he had not been properly educated? NO WAY! they make you learn the script for one reason only, and that is, so that every home you go in, you say all the of the right things, things that people NEED to hear so that they can protect their families in the event of unfortunate deaths, you have to remember there are only 2 times people ever talk about insurance, the first time is when were there sitting down with the members at their home, the second, is when its to late. if you don't know the script, your unprepared, thus doing the families your trying to protect a dis-service. and the faster you learn it, the faster you start making money, it can be done in as little as a week, if your committed, if not, the longer you go with out money!! its up to YOU!

lying to the clients? that sounds like an isolated incident, but unfortunately, yes some agents do, but they are soon snuffed out and fired. (we can tell if they are, because the quality of the business they write sucks, so they will loose a lot of money themselves, because the client cancels)

you might complain about how bad it is to work here, or should i say, start a career here, but once you give it a chance, it will give you more opportunities that you will ever imagine, and more money then you can spend. the best part about the company is its up to you... the worst? is that it is up to you as well.

So suck up YOUR mistake, because you could have chosen something else, don't bash the company that has given so much to me, and discourage anyone else from an amazing opportunity.
 9th of Feb, 2008 by   Steven Hall +1 Votes
Total scammers. I like the social engineering way they tried to sucker me in though - my resume is public on a couple of sites, so they called me and asked me to 'reschedule' my interview - without mentioning their company name at all. They know I'm looking from my resume being public so I scheduled without even thinking- glad I googled their email.
 20th of Feb, 2008 by   cornyguy 0 Votes
Just got my first email from American today - did my research and the complaints have been pretty consistent. Obviously, I will let rhe girl from American know what I think but I want to also let sites like Monster know also (as if they don't already)

This has to stop!!
 26th of Feb, 2008 by   Anonymous 0 Votes
Elena sorry to hear that, hope things work out for you. Everyone in the Colorado Springs office is broke! Louis your manager is broke and they are so emotionally unstable because of their financial situations. They play it off like everyone is making money and successful but I've heard the whispers in that office. Noone is making money there.
 5th of Mar, 2008 by   rp 0 Votes
SCAM. They are a joke. I googled and dogpiled the email and name of the people. They are on RIP OFF REPORT for deceptive practices and the really think people will come in. As for the guy who agrees with AIL, go suck $#%%. Your probably one of those loser pricks that sucker people. This guys are in league with enterprise rental a car. those guys are bums too. Thank God I googled the email and names and came across a forum dedicated to informing people about the foolishness that goes on.
 26th of Mar, 2008 by   Larry Leviton +1 Votes
American Income Life is not a scam. However, before I go any further, people have to understand that selling life insurance is hard work. There's nothing to stop you from getting a license on your own, buy leads, send out letters and postcards and if you're lucky, break even after your first year. If you're nice, you might get referrals your second year, and of course, renewal commissions. Since its your agency, you won't have to split the commission with anyone and if you quit, you'll continue getting renewal commissions so long as you met your continuing education requirements and pay your license fees.

I was contacted by AIL because I am a licensed insurance agent and allow my state to sell my name to anyone who inquires about it. I was contacted by email and later by telephone by AIL.
The person who called me sounded scripted. I told her that I looked up AIL on the internet and could not tell from their web site what they were selling. From browsing the internet I already knew that they were selling burial insurance, which poor people believe in. The reply I got was basically we'll tell you that during the interview. Its the old curiosity trick. I thanked her and told her I wasn't interested.

AIL's web site implies you'll make 15 sales a week. Heck, I am happy to make 2 sales a week. 5 sales a week is heaven.

If you are really serious about sales, I highly recommend reading the book "Question Based Selling" by Thomas Freese.
Basically Mr. Freese says that sales isn't a matter of winning, its a matter of minimizing your loses. You can't rush people into buying something and if you do, they'll build up a case of buyers remorse and cancel the next morning.
 2nd of Jul, 2008 by   David 0 Votes
I can honestly say I was in the same boat with all the complainers out there about the way AIL does their work. But I quickly realized selling insurance is a hard line of work. Not everyone can go out there and sell insurance, and if you fail at it you complain too.
Its only human nature, to criticize something you are not able to do. Example professional athletes: they make too much money yadayada, if you could play a sports like they do you would be making the money, they do.
So stop complaining, yes I was skeptical at first working on commission is hard, you only make as much money you want, you work hard you get paid. Luckily my wife, the sales agent had me to back her up in this endeavor she decided to take. The first month was hard, the training, long hours, and not a single dime to show for it, she had to get licensed to sell so she had to study and train. At the end of the month she had paid 250 in test fees, 50 fingerprinting fees (YOU HAVE TO HAVE a CLEAN RECORD TO SELL INSURANCE- NO DIRTBAGS ALLOWED) and all the time spent training. So it was hard.

Now she is fully trained, and selling two or three a week, some weeks none. but the amount of money she makes is crazy, I have 6 years of school and training and only make 75, 000 a year.
She has a month’s worth of training and has already made 25, 000 in three months, do the math at that rate, if she continues she will be at a 100, 000 in one year. Not bad for 300 dollars in fees and a month’s worth of training. People go to college for years pay 50, 000+ thousands of dollars to start making less money than that.

So i can sympathize with those who think is a scam, but selling is not for everyone. The product sells its self; all you have to do is present it in the right way. Also you have to look presentable, don’t fool yourself thinking the product is going to do all the work.

ok am tired of defending the wife’s career, plain and simple it’s not for everyone, those who can do it and are good at it, are very successful. Those who can’t, are doing something else they can be successful at.
 3rd of Jul, 2008 by   Jennifer 0 Votes
Shut up David! You're so brainwashed!
The truth is you're a recruiter and in order for you to make money, you have tio mass hire people, don't you? Don't lie to these poor people!

I know, because I used to do the same thing. I'd go on these sites and defend AIL till I was blue in the face, all because I wanted people to come to the interview, pay their $312 admin fees, which would've gone to my pockets!!

But then I felt guilty about it, because I kept seeing more and more people get angry or disapoointed or worse yet, bankrupt! These poor people are looking for a job to make money, they don't want to give it away! Why do they charge $312 for "admin fees" anyways? What's the purpose of it? When I worked there, I found out that my hard earned money went straight into the hiring person's pockets, just because he brought me in for an interview! What a jackass! I was so mad when I found that out. But then I needed to make money fast so I took whatever job they gave me, I would've made more at McDonald's!

That is just so wrong an unethical. You shouldn't make people pay you to work for you, it's the other way around!
 22nd of Jul, 2008 by   Dawn +1 Votes
I declare interest. I have been working for AIL for a year now. There are no "recruiting fees". You pay for your license, and for your 40 hour training required by the State. I did my training on line, and saved some money. AIL facilitates you in getting these, but no money goes into anyone at AIL's pocket. Before you are hired, you KNOW that this job is commission based. You sign a contract. Where is the scam? You work very very hard. Sometimes you make money, sometimes you don't. It is your business, so you have to be organized, and above all, disciplined. The statistics for survival in the life insurance business are awful - over 90% don't make it past the first year. Maybe I won't either, but it won't be because anyone scammed me. If the company was a scam, would it last for over 50 years, have partnerships with major trade unions, credit unions and associations, and be a Fortune 400 company with a Best's A+ (superior) rating? I am not a recruiter. I am a licensed insurance agent presently working with AIL.
 7th of Aug, 2008 by   dfdfgdfgfdg 0 Votes
I have copied and pasted the ad I replied to:

AIL Partners
This Could Be It!

Your Last Job

A fully unionized company is expanding in Saskatchewan.

Do you:
1) Believe in the union philosophy
2) Interact well with others
3) Need to make $700 per week

Your job is to deliver and explain benefits that select Unions have negotiated for their members.

If you qualify, we offer:
- Health, life, and retirement benefits
- A genuine career opportunity
- Advancement into Management
- Complete training
- Weekly pay cheques
- Monthly bonuses

Take the next step towards you destiny today.
Email your resume to:

I have excluded their email address so as to not make this a personal "attack" against anyone or anyones business. This ad was placed on a job hunting website. I replied specifically because the job description never mentioned selling insurance. I was aware AIL/Altig/Torchmark were insurance companies. I had no desire to sell insurance. So I replied to this ad because it did not mention selling insurance. I was aware of positions of people where they had to go to union meetings and explain benefit packages to members. No selling involved. So I thought, judging from the description, that this would be similar. When I was phoned to get me to come in for an interview, they told me to dress in professional attire. I thought that was strange. Why wouldn't I? I was going to a job interview afterall. So I went. During the interview the person interviewing me outright told me that he would not tell me anything about the job or the pay structure or any details on the job until the 2nd interview. That sent warning bells off in my head. Why would he want to interview me but not share any info about the job? How would it be possible to see if I was truly interested in the job if he didn't share any info. After about 5 minutes of senseless chatter, he told me that he was impressed with my resume and that I had made it through to the second round of interviews and that I would have to come back in 45 minutes for the second interview. Since it was only 45 minutes away, I though why not check it out even though my warning bells were already going off. It was a mistake not to listen to those bells. I returned to find only me and one other fellow in this office ( Their office was very shabby looking and not at all professionally decorated, although the fellow working the reception desk was very pleasant ). Then our interviewer came in and started talking. He played 2 videos for us about the company and how great it was but it never told us anything about the job. All it kept saying is that it offered limitless potential for earnings. Then at one point in his slide show, he went over every single product they offered and how much payout it would be if someone died and all the different product variables. I thought this was very strange and it certainly appeared to be to be a very thinnly veiled attempt to sell us insurance. He kept asking, what would happen to your wife and child if something was to happen to you? How much insurance do you have through work? Who is your insurance provider? These questions have no place in an interview. And all the product specific knowledge most certainly had no place. Why should I learn about your products before you have even told me what position I would have, how much I would be paid, what my benefits would be, or even when the start date is??? They showed in their slide show what the top 20% of earners make but they said nothing about the other 80% which would be where most people would fall. They also tried to dazzle me with talk about how I could make up to $250, 000.00 a year and then there is the residule income..."some people make $25, 000.00 each month before they even wake up in the morning" . I have had the misfortune of having to sit through a multi-level marketing speach before and it was almost identical. I'm not accusing them of being a mlm scheme...but the speach was identical to the one I heard for the mlm. They told me I would have to pay for getting my LLQP license to sell insurance and they would come from my pocket and not be paid back to me. I would also be required to travel 10 days out of the month, also out of my own pocket and not be paid back. They said also that a group of them were going to spend 3 days at some guys trailer in a small community so that they could meet people in that community. That definately was not something I would be interested in doing. The ad seemed to indicate ( although it was carefully worded ) that I would make $700.00 per week and then get monthly bonuses...but the truth was that it was all commission sales...that I would be self-employed...and all costs would be carried by me alone...and that my training would be unpaid. All in all, it took over 2 hours. If they would have put in their ad that it was for a travelling insurance salesman working on commission sales ( which is exactly what this position is ) then I would have never replied to the ad. If they would have told me about the job in the first round of the interview, I would have told them no thanks and no ones time would have been wasted. Instead they were so disrepectful as to conceal facts from me until the last minute and waste over 2 hours of my time ( almost 3 hours ) all just to get me in there to watch some videos about how great the company is and, I believe, to sell us insurance...why else did they ask all the questions about how much insurance coverage we have and what would our families do if we died and then go over all their various products and pay-out limits? I am a professional. I have been in charge of hiring and recruitment. It is my opinion that this company did not operate in a professional manner. They left out so many critical points of their ad and even of their 2 hour presentation ( until the last ten minutes ) that I believe the only way to describe it would be as deceitful. If you are offering a job as a travelling salesman working on commission sales...just say so. Don't try and lure people in. To make matters worse, during the presentation they kept saying that if people weren't willing to work as hard as needed to be successful in their company then they are lazy and just afraid of hard work. I would like to comment on that. I am not lazy nor afraid of hard work but I do rely on a steady income. Commission sales is not for me and I knew that going into the interview. There was no need to try and sway me from that fact. Just be honest and up front right from the beginning. Don't waste peoples time, don't paint them in some light as if they are just lazy because they don't want to be commission sales, and just please be upfront with what you are offering...don't make us sit through over 2 hours of presentation to say, " The job is being a self-employed travelling salesman working solely off commission sales. You will be responsible to pay to get your own LLQP license, to pay for the exam fees and you will also be responsible to cover the costs of your own travel. Does this sound like a job you might be interested in learning more about? " That took all of a minute to say ( not 2-3 hours ) and by asking that question, you help to ensure that you only get candidates who really want to be there and you save yourself time and their time. Needless to say, I turned down this "opportunity". Perhaps it is better suited to someone else. Selling insurance is not for everyone. I just would have appreciated knowing that up front instead of having almost 3 hours wasted by the ad not saying so and then the first interviewer refusing to tell me anything about the job. If someone has found success with this company good for them...hopefully they will read this and work to make some much needed changes in how they operate their hiring practices. Thank you for listening.
 4th of Dec, 2008 by   Special K +1 Votes
I understand everyone concern about the company because I once worked there. In the beginning I didn't even know that I was selling insurance so yes it is a little misleading; however, I had a wonderful manager and we had a great team. There were times were sells were not at the best but I am a seller and those time were rare. I made a lot of money with AIL in my first 2 months I made about 10k and didn't know what I was doing so it is an ok company just depends on what you are looking for. If you are not a seller or can close easily you don't need to be in any sales not just insurance but any sales position. Also, insurance business is hard and go to any other company you will appreciate what AIL gave you.
 4th of Dec, 2008 by   Elena M. Giordano 0 Votes
I am the original poster of this complaint.
There are obviously a few clarifications that need to be made.

AIL is misleading to prospective agents in the sense that they hire you but don't tell you it's going to be months and months before you ever see one cent for all your hard work.

They tell you to learn your scripts, do this, do that... La dee da. Only problem is, in the process of learning all their misleading scripts word-for-word, you aren't making any money, AND, it could be months before your manager decides to let you out on your own with any prospective clients. It's not that he doesn't think you're ready to sell insurance. He just knows you haven't got the lies down yet. You haven't repeated them to yourself enough times to start believing them. The facade is not yet complete.

Also, keep in mind that they expect you in the office for 12+ hour days, while you make all your manager's phone calls FOR HIM and learn your scripts when you're done calling people. Then, eventually go out on the road with your manager and do the sales pitch FOR HIM, yet he does not share his commissions with you! How does he expect you to pay your rent? Your bills don't just take a vacation when you're starting a commission based business. With any other company, you get shared commissions if you help with the sale.

Not only were they unfair to your personal time, and pretty much everything else...they were very insensitive to the needs of their clients! I just remember thinking, we are selling life insurance to cover these families from catastrophic financial loss in the event of a loved ones death! This is not supposed to be a get-rich-quick scheme! Money was the ONLY thing these agents cared about! They didn't give a rats arse about these people! They would twist their arm into meeting them, they'd recite their misleading script, make the sale, and be out of their life. My manager didn't even know the names of his policyholders!

I would have to say the epitome of client insensitivity was when me and other new hires were calling people [for our manager] in a stack of "hard cards". We reach this woman and ask for her husband. There was a long silence on the line...
She utters that her husband died YEARS AGO and AIL was their life insurance company!!! My manager didn't even know that the person he was trying to solicit for insurance had already been solicited by another AIL Virus agent, and DIED YEARS AGO. This is not only unfathomable to me, it is completely insensitive to the policyholders! Get with the program! Have an updated, company-wide, centralized policyholder filing system! There is no reason that this should have happened.

I come from a long line of insurance agents. I know how hard it is to start a business. However, neither my grandfather, my father, my brother-in-law, nor myself conducted business this way! A client is someone you genuinely desire to help and protect, not to swindle them into contributing to your six-figure salary! There is a significant difference in character between AIL virus agents and my family's way of business! Significant!

And that, my lovely readers, is WHY I LOST MY JOB.

It was very clear to my manager that I possess both a conscience, and a sensitivity to the needs of my prospective clients. That is not the way to make six-figure incomes. My manager would have gotten a piece of the pie of every sale I made. He was greedy. He did not like my way of doing business -- especially when I mentioned their complete lack of honesty.

If you're wondering how I ever got hired, I am too. They know what they're looking for in prospective agents, I do not fit the bill for 90% of it. It may be because I was one of the only candidates who possess the aptitude to have coherent conversations. Not to mention my insurance background. I do not know. However, my first manager quit during my first week, so my second manager I've been complaining about took me and a few others as his pee-ons.

I could go on forever. All that you need to know is that I have NEVER seen more unethical business practices in my life. This company is bad news.
 10th of Jan, 2009 by   TOO LITTLE TOO LATE_ 0 Votes
OK SO THERE ARE A FEW THINGS I NEED TO SAY ABOUT THIS COMPANY AIL.

FIRST OF ALL, WHEN CONTACTED BY THIS JOB, I WAS ONLY 18 YEARS OLD, HOWEVER I HAD JUST FINISHED COLLEGE TO BECOME A CERTIFIED PHARMACY TECHNICIAN. SO I DECIDED TO DISPLAY MY ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN THE FORM OF A RESUME ON MONSTER.COM.

IMMEDIATELY I RECEIVED NUMEROUS EMAILS FROM AIL (AMERICAN INCOME LIFE, ALTIG). THE JOB DESCRIPTION WAS VERY VAGUE BUT I THOUGHT WELL THEY MUST SEE SOMETHING IN ME, AFTER ALL I GET EMAILS 20 DIFFERENT TIMES A DAY. SO I SAID WHAT THE HECK, RESPONDED TO THE EMAIL AND GAVE THEM MY PHONE NUMBER. THEY CALLED RIGHT AWAY. THE MAN WHO CALLED ASKED ME NUMEROUS QUESTIONS ABOUT MYSELF, HOWEVER WHEN I ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT THE COMPANY, HE KEPT REFERRING ME TO THE INTERVIEW THAT THEY WOULD LOVE TO SET UP WITH ME. SO I DECIDED TO GO.

SO FIRST OF ALL I GOT LOST ( BY THE WAY THIS IS IN PORTLAND, OREGON) BECAUSE IT WAS JUST IN A BUILDING WITH NO SIGN OR ANY WAY OF KNOWING WHERE THE HELL I WAS GOING. SO WHEN I DID FIND IT, FINALLY, I WALKED IN AND RIGHT AWAY A GUY ASKED ME IF I WAS GOING TO THE 'INSURANCE THING' UPSTAIRS, AND HE TOLD ME NOT TO WASTE MY TIME, AND THERES SOMETHING FISHY ABOUT IT. I THANKED HIM FOR HIS ADVICE, HOWEVER DISREGARDED IT AND WENT UPSTAIRS.

SO I GET IN THERE (IN THE WAITING ROOM ABOUT THE SIZE OF MY BATHROOM) WITH LIKE 10 OTHER PEOPLE JUST SETTING THERE 'DRESSED TO IMPRESS' (LIKE THEY SAY) WITH THEIR RESUMES AND NERVOUS SMILES. WHEN MY NAME WAS CALLED, I WENT INTO THE 1ST INTERVIEW(THERE'S A PROCESS OF 3) DRESSED LIKE CAPITAL BARBIE, THINKING I'M SPECIAL.. HAHAHA... THE MAN WAS VERY UNPREPARED, HE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW MY NAME OR MY BACKGROUND. I KEPT WONDERING WHAT AN INSURANCE COMPANY WOULD DO WITH A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN, BUT THEY'RE GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO. SO HE TOLD ME THAT THIS IS A SALES POSTION, IN WHICH I WOULD RECEIVE A SALARY AND COMMISSION. SOUNDED GOOD TO ME.. WE EXCHANGED A FEW MORE WORDS AND HE SAID, " CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HAVE MADE IT TO THE SECOND INTERVIEW." ...

SO TEN MINUTES LATER, HERE COMES THE SECOND INTERVIEW. THIS IS KIND OF LIKE A ORIENTATION PROCESS. ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO WERE IN THE WAITING ROOM WITH ME MUST HAVE BEEN AMAZING TOO, BECAUSE GUESS WHAT? WE ALL MADE IT TO THE 2ND INTERVIEW, AND SOME. IN A NUTSHELL A GUY WHO IS MAYBE 20 YEARS OLD DESCRIBES A DAY IN THE LIFE OF AN AGENT, AND ASSURED US THAT WE WOULD ONLY NEED TO PUT IN 40 HOURS A WEEK TO MAKE 'UNLIMITED INCOME.' HE TOLD US TO TAKE NOTES AND PAY ATTENTION BECAUSE ONLY ONE PERSON WILL BE HIRED FROM THIS GROUP OF 20. SO I DID. HE SAID IN ONE MONTH WE WILL EARN 9 CHECKS. NINE. THAT TO ME IS ALOT IN JUST A MONTH, BUT OK. AFTER AWHILE, IT BECAME VERY TEDIOUS AND I WASN'T INTERESTED. I MAY BE YOUNG, BUT I'M NOT STUPID.MY MOTHER ALWAYS TOLD ME THAT IF SOMETHING SEEMS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT PROBABLY IS. 2 HOURS AND A BUNCH OF BULLSHIT LATER(STILL IN THE 2ND INTERVIEW) I DECIDED THAT THIS JOB WAS NOT FOR ME, SO IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GUYS SPEECH, I GOT UP AND WALKED OUT. AND I DIDN'T LOOK BACK.

SO I JUST DECIDED TO FORGET ABOUT IT AND CUT MY LOSSES THERE. AT THIS POINT, I WASN'T SURE IF IT WAS A SCAM OR NOT, BUT SOMETHING JUST DIDN'T SEEM RIGHT. OR MAYBE IT WAS JUST ME.

2 DAYS LATER, I GET A PHONE CALL AT WORK FROM THE 'HIRING MANAGER' ... AND GUESS WHAT? I WAS CHOSEN TO COME TO THE 3RD INTERVIEW! WOW, ME OUT OF ALL THOSE OLDER EXPERIENCED PEOPLE. ALTHOUGH I WAS A BIT SKEPTICAL, THEY ARE VERY VERY CONVINCING, AND I LISTENED TO MY HEAD INSTEAD OF MY HEART AND I WENT ANYWAY.

SO HERE I AM AT THE THIRD INTERVIEW, WAITING... WAITING... WAITING... AND FINALLY I WAS ASKED TO COME WITH THE HIRING MANAGER TO ANOTHER ROOM. EVEN WHEN I GOT INTO THE ROOM, I WAS STILL WAITING, DUE TO HE HAD 'PERSONAL BUSINESS' TO DO. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. ON HIS LAPTOP. 10 MINUTES LATER, HE TRIES TO GATHER HIMSELF AND FIND MY NAME ON THE RESUME. AFTER ASKING ME A FEW ROUTINE QUESTIONS, HE ASKED ME IF I HAD ANY QUESTIONS. FINALLY, IT WAS MY TURN. SO I ASKED HIM TO GO INTO DETAIL ABOUT BENEFITS AND WAGES. ONCE AGAIN, I WAS TOLD THAT IT IS A SALARY + COMMISSION JOB, AND THAT WE WOULD GET 13 CHECKS A MONTH. HUH??? THE OTHER 'MANAGER' SAID WE WOULD GET 9. HMMM...

HE ASKED ME TO STEP OUT OF THE ROOM FOR A MINUTE WHILE HE MADE A DECISION. 10 MORE MINUTES LATER, I WENT BACK IN THERE AND HE SAID I GOT THE JOB. I WILL ADMIT AT THIS POINT, I WAS EXCITED. VERY. I MEAN I WAS 18 YEARS OLD, AND SOME ASPECTS SEEMED SO PROMISING, THEY ARE REALLY REALLY GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO. I WAS ALSO TOLD THAT I WOULD BE WORKING WITH PEOPLE YOUNGER THAN ME. YOUNGER THAN ME? NOW WERE TALKIN MINORS, BUT OK I'M READY TO MAKE SOME MONEY.

BUT AS WE ALL KNOW, A JOB LIKE THIS DOESN'T COME EASY, AND OF COURSE, I WOULD NEED TO PAY FOR MY SCHOOLING AND LICENSE (WHICH AND UNDERSTANDABLE) AND 'ADMINISTRATION FEES'. HUH? I ASKED WHAT I WAS PAYING FOR, AND HE SAID MY EQUIPMENT (OK...) AND MY LEADS. SO I ASKED HOW MUCH THESE FEES ARE. 312.00. DUE NOW, ON THE SPOT.

CALL ME INEXPERIENCED, BUT I HAVE NEVER PAID TO GET A JOB. I MEAN IF ANYTHING, I NEED TO GET PAID, HENCE WHY I'M IN HERE TRYING TO GET A JOB. ONCE AGAIN, THEY ARE GREAT AT WHAT THEY DO AND AS STUPID AS IT SOUNDS, I PAID. RIGHT THERE. 312.00 CASH. I ASKED IF I NEED TO GET A MONEY ORDER, AND THEY INSISTED THAT 'CASH IS FINE'. SO I WENT FROM THERE TO THE SCHOOL WHERE I WOULD BE GETTING LICENSED, WHICH IS ANOTHER 279.00 PLUS FINGER PRINTS, 20.00 AND OH THE APPLICATION FEE, 80.00. SO GUESS WHAT? I'M NOT RICH AND IT'S A GOOD THING I JUST GOT PAID, OTHERWISE I MAY NOT HAVE GOT THIS 'WONDERFUL OPPORTUNITY'. SO I START STUDYING FOR MY EXAM, AND I DECIDED TO LOOK UP THIS COMPANY...

GUESS WHAT I FOUND? WEBSITES LIKE THIS. AND THE FUNNY THING IS EVERYONE WHO COMPLAINS ABOUT AIL, WE ALL HAVE HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE. THERE WERE A LOT OF RED FLAGS THAT I CHOSE TO IGNORE.

NUMBER ONE:
IF THIS JOB WAS AS WONDERFUL AS DESCRIBED, WHY ARE THEY AFTER AN 18 YEAR OLD PHARMACY TECHNICIAN WITH ABSOLUTELY NO SALES EXPERIENCE?

NUMBER TWO:
WHY WAS I TOLD THAT I WOULD BE PAID SALARY AND COMMISSION, WHEN THE TRUTH IS THAT YOU ARE ONLY PAID COMMISSION?

NUMBER THREE: 312.00 FOR ADMINISTRATION FEES? FOR THAT PRICE I BETTER HAVE MY OWN DAMN OFFICE, AND ALL KINDS OF LEADS. BUT IM SURE THEY COVERED THEIR ASS, RIGHT ON THE RECEIPT IT SAYS 'NON REFUNDABLE'.

NUMBER FOUR: I HAVE YET TO HEAR FROM ANYONE FROM AIL, AND I GOT HIRED IN OCTOBER.

AND AFTER LOOKING AT ALL THE WEBSITES LIKE THIS, MY SUSPICIONS WERE CONFIRMED.
AND FOR EVERYONE WHO DEFENDS AIL, ITS BECAUSE YOU WORK FOR THEM AND YOU'RE GETTING PAID SOMEHOW.

THE POINT IS YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO PAY TO GET A JOB. IF YOU FEEL THAT SOMETHING ISN'T RIGHT, THAT'S BECAUSE IT ISN'T.

I HAVE HEARD OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE GONE BANKRUPT FROM WORKING FOR AIL. OH AND BY THE WAY, YOUR 'PAID TRAINING' ISN'T SO PAID.

I'M NOT DOING THIS BECAUSE I HAVE EXTRA TIME ON MY HANDS, I AM VERY BUSY AND VERY SUCCESSFUL, AND IT IS BECAUSE OF THIS THAT I WOULD DO ANYTHING TO PREVENT ANYONE FROM GOING THROUGH WHAT I WENT THROUGH. I WASTED A LOT OF TIME AND MONEY FOR SOMETHING THAT JUST WASN'T TRUE.

MY ADVICE IS TO DO YOUR RESEARCH. THOROUGHLY. STICK WITH WHAT YOU KNOW. NEVER SACRIFICE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY JUST TO CHASE A DREAM.

AS FOR ME, IT'S TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE. I DON'T HAVE ANY REGRETS, JUST ANOTHER LESSON LEARNED.
 5th of Mar, 2009 by   Kyle +1 Votes
alright, so i just had my first, and secound interviews today... wow what a supprise, that all the way up untill that point. it was EXSACTLY what they did when i was there... oh, and btw i've got two years of electrical experiance. i can understand MABYE home owners insurance having a use for me. but seriously? life insurance? I'm not dead, and i don't sell stuff. what good would i be to them? with their uber job for that one special person? none. absolutely none. Thank you for this post, it put the closing to this waste of time. and saved me from that third interview.

P.S Look up other insurance company's, not one of this companys has a sites saying this company is a scam. just google ail and you will find at lest four sits.
 14th of Apr, 2009 by   frustrated 0 Votes
This could be it! A fully unionized company is expanding in CA. We have openings for three people who:
1) Believe in the union philosophy
2) Interact well with others
3) Need to make a bare minimum of $700 per week to start.
Your job is to deliver and explain benefits that union members had negotiated for them.
If you qualify, we offer:
• Health, Life and Retirement benefits
• A Genuine career opportunity
• Advancement into management
• Complete training
• Weekly paycheques
Take the next step toward your financial freedom
Skills Requirements: None
 18th of Apr, 2009 by   Lme 0 Votes
I love the internet you guys!!! I was contacted by this company because my resume is public as well. All I have to say is that I'm glad I googled them! I don't get the concept of PAYING OUT OF POCKET so I could have a job lol.
 24th of Apr, 2009 by   MsT 0 Votes
I went to the first round of interviews, one of the girls looked like trailor trash.

I went to the second round of interviews, trailor trash was there, along with a woman who looked like Mrs. Crabtree from South Park.

I went to the third round of interviews, and got the job. I lied and said I didn't have the $312 upfront fee with me, then came home and googled AIL.

I called back and said that I needed to borrow the licensing and fees money from my mother and she would not pay pay the $312 until after I obtained my insurance license.

He told me that my mother did not believe in me and that I couldn't have the job anymore.

STFU arsehole.
 23rd of Jul, 2009 by   TCL 0 Votes
I recieved an e-mail also and after several times i did not respond to them they are now calling me telling me they are giving me the first interview...I know the scam and have not returned the call to them .Thank you for your input on this company i to will continue the fight to lose these losers...Have a good day!

Cosigning a Car Loan