logo

3. (3 mins ago)
Socal Events Inc
Deceptive hiring practices
4. (29 mins ago)
Chennai Govt. MTC buses - (formerly PTC)
Crowded buses & worst roads

Posted:    Valerie

They’re incompetent

Ambit Energy
ambitenergy.com
I switched to Ambit Energy to save money on my electric bill and to make money promoting it as it is offered through multi level marketing.

I put my residence and numerous investment homes on Ambit plus a boat load of friends and relatives. It cost $350 to become a rep and 1 year later I have not been paid a dime.

Rates jumped 12.9 to 16.9, they cut off my service at home because the pymt was credited (repeatedly) to the wrong account. Food ruined, children were stuck in the cold, pets couldn't be attended to. Their admitted error, so I turned elect. Back on myself. I then was fined for meter tampering??? They refuse to reimburse. Me, my friends and family have all dropped Ambit.
Comments United States Utility Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

8th of Aug, 2008 by   Simone -1 Votes
Ambit Energy SUCKS!!! They didn't transfer our service to our new apartment and we're on day 3 now of having no electricity, even though we paid them over $400 to get it transferred over.

Plus our rates went from 13.4 to 18.8.

They are criminals and there is no one to talk to about them. I reported them to the PUCT and the BBB. Hopefully that will get something done.
 20th of Aug, 2008 by   Imelda -1 Votes
Ambit energy customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Three different attempts and over 3 hours of being on hold a rep answered the phone. Our rate had changed from .1090/kW/hr to .2090/kW/hr during a change in contract despite a rep reporting it would stay the same. We discovered this after receiving a bill for over $1000 on our home. I finally was able to talk with a supervising rep who I had pull the tapes of my conversation with the previous rep. Even though the supervisor admitted the previous rep did tell me my rate would not change she said Ambit could do nothing about it and my rate would stay at the current rate for 6 months. The PUC is now involved. On top of this the first two months we had Ambit we received no bill. I had to call and ask for a bill and they finally sent one for two months of service and then sent me a disconnection notice.
 22nd of Aug, 2008 by   Anonymous -1 Votes
A representative from Ambit Energy contacted my grandmother in August 2008 and solicited her to change her energy carrier from Reliant Energy to Ambit. My grandmother refused and a couple of weeks later she received a letter from Ambit Energy. This company blatantly took advantage of an elderly woman by switching her energy carrier without permission. I have heard of slamming but I can't imagine how these people live with themselves. My grandmother is in congestive heart failure and requires oxygen to breathe. This is why have made it a point not to switch Energy Carriers because Reliant is well aware of her health problems and are prompt when restoring any power outages in timely fashion. We would never switch carriers and what they have done is wrong. I contacted Ambit Energy immediately after receiving the letter and held on the phone for over an hour with no response.
 28th of Aug, 2008 by   S Read -1 Votes
Ambit is a total Ripoff! I signed up just to get a better rate - couldn't care less about the MLM opportunity. My rate started at 10.1 per kw/hr. Next month jumped to 16.6 - just got my 3rd months bill and am now being charged 19.9. Buyer Beware!
 5th of Sep, 2008 by   abaytes -1 Votes
AMBIT ENERGY IS A RIP OFF! ! ! !

Ambit Energy has one of the lousiest customer service departments I have every expreienced. Ambit Energy improperly overbilled us. When calling in to speak with a customer service agent (the first time); I was placed on hold for more than 45 minutes only to be told I was at the wrong department. When I reached the right department (5 minutes later), the female service representative could not resolve my issue and I was told "that a supervisor will call you back." I waited all day and no call.

The following moring at 0900, I called again to get this issue resolved. (They had been overbilling me for the service I had thought I had subscribed to, a fix-rate plan). My initial first two calls went right through to customer service, but they were disconnected immediately. I redailed the same number again and when I was placed to customer service, it was as if the person on the other end simply hung up the phone.

After a total of more than 1.5 hours waiting to speak with someone, when I finally got on the phone and espressed my frustration with the company's service and what was happening with my account, the agent simply hung up on me. When I tried to call back and was immediately placed through to customer service, the call was immediately disconnected. When I tried again, I was once again placed into virtual hell, of having to listen to their recording stating their rates and plans and to "please hold for the next available agent." When the agent picked up, she immediately hung up the phone - AGAIN!

The challange I am having is that since there is no way to contact their corporate offices and their service representatives (via caller ID) can place you into a hold loop for hours, what can one do to cancel this service, avoiding the $199 cancellation fee, especially since we are cancelling for poor service, which appears to be the norm.

AMBIT states that their goal is customer satisfaction - 'Our goal is to be the finest, most respected retail electric provider in the country, ' said Ambit CEO, Jere Thompson, Jr. 'And we've made the investment in our back office operations, in our billing system and in our customer service department to deliver on that promise.'

I am not finding this to be the case. I have been hit with a RECONNECT surchage of $190 when my service never went out and have received incremental increases in my service in spite of being told I was on a fix rate plan in May 2008.

In two words - AMBIT SUCKS!

and is

What kind of recourse does a person have
 4th of Nov, 2008 by   Rob +1 Votes
I have had Ambit for two years now and have never had a bit of trouble. We signed up a year ago for their term rate and it has stayed the same for this period.

When Ambit rates go up, ALL rates go up. If you start with 13 cents and the rates go up throughout, then your rate will go up. All companies buy their electricty FROM THE SAME PLACE! Companies like Ambit just don't have the overhead so they can discount it. TXU and Reliant run TV, radio, newspaper, and billboard ads. Those cost a lot of money. Who do you think pays for that. So, if Ambit goes up, theirs will be a lot higher.

The PUC is the place to complain for all untility problems. While there are several people here that seem to be unhappy, if you check with the TXU and Reliant customers, you'll read even more horror stories. And you'll see a lot of good stories, too. The same goes for Ambit and all the other energy companies. We now have a choice and all you have to do is find the one that fits your needs. If you want to over pay to a company like TXU, that's your right to do so. If you don't want to pay more than you have to, go to any of the others out there.
 4th of Nov, 2008 by   James -1 Votes
TO: ROB, who said "I have had Ambit for two years now and have never had a bit of trouble. "

You lying piece of scumbag, Ambit did not exsist 2 years ago. Just wait for all these people you have switched to Ambit, calling and complaining about their bills. You'll end up the same way as i did, losing my friends and leaving hundreds of people without Costumer Service being overcharged for things they were never told about...don't waste your time

Ambit is a SCAM,
 19th of Nov, 2008 by   Big Money +1 Votes
Ambit has nearly 200, 000 customers.
In any company with growth this fast Is going to experience a few bumps in the road. Every one is not going to get golden service from every company every time, every where.
This is A few people who have nothing better to do than tell a one sided story that has little truth to the matter.

1) Ambit does not charge to switch your service
2) In the business model you have to WORK.
3)These people who complain can't even make toast right in the morning
4)I've made over $150, 000 with Ambit Energy
Sure your going to have compalints with any company,
that's business. When you right the compaints and answer them and fix the problem that tells the real story.
Ambit always rights there complaints
5) Get over it.
6)Get a life
7)Get a job
8)Ambit Energy gives free Electricity and vacations out to their loyal Customers
9)vile spew is not good for you blood presure
10)Get a colon clense
 23rd of Nov, 2008 by   ray 0 Votes
I was going to join ambit but after hearing all the compaints, my reputation is more valuable than a few bucks. I am a commercial real estate broker and If i had complaints form any of my customers I would be ruined in teh real estate business. NO THANKS AMBIT, and the hell with bumps in teh roads. I can't afford to fall intoa ditch.
 26th of Nov, 2008 by   nancy 0 Votes
I'm tring to stop them from deducting the monthly agent fee from my credit card every month. How do I stop this?
 1st of Dec, 2008 by   Brad Klager -1 Votes
My rate shot up the month after I joined, then the month after that they billed me for about double my usage. The meter reader said they hadn't been reading the meter due to bees. I called the company to get this obvious error corrected (I've never used that much power in a month). I told them it was wrong for them to insist that I pay for electricity they know they didn't provide to me. The end result was that if I didn't pay almost $900, they were going to shut off my power, and with a baby at home that was not an option. Months later, still trying to get my money credited back...
 3rd of Dec, 2008 by   John -1 Votes
Ambit has just spoiled my family's christmas. After switching to them back in June my bills for the summer were around the $200 - 250 mark which is about average for that time of the year living in Texas. I just got my bill for November and it has shot up to $400.00. After been on hold for around thirty minutes I got through to a operator who told me my last bill was a estimate due to Ike. I told them that is fine but there is no way I have used 2800 Kws as my usage for August was only 1200 and that was the height of the summer !. I have been reading my meter every two day's since and am only averaging about 30Kws every two days. The reading they have from last months shows that I am already up to $250.00 for November's bill with another ten days to go on this cycle. Some where along the line my meter readings have been incorrect or not read and I am paying the price for it now and sad thing is there is nothing I can do about it. I have been going around in circles talking to them asking them to look at my previous months averages but they are having none of it. I feel like I have been ripped of and am going to be continued to be ripped od until I cancel my contract with them and that is not to June of next year.
Please take my advice and stick with you current provider and do not swith over to these crocks.
 10th of Feb, 2009 by   tex48 0 Votes
I switched over to this company to avoid the outrageous rates of CPL. Well, they were a month late in switching my service so I had to continue paying ripoff CPL. To make it up to me they said they would not charge me a hookup fee when I moved. Well, when I called to take them up on it, they said they had no record of anybody saying that! So I had to pay the fee, I was already short on money in 2008. Also I saw that my rate had risen from 12.9 to 19.9 Kwh and decided to go with their lone star select 6 month rate at 12.9 Kwh. Got my first bill at the new rate and I be damned it was almost the same as the 19.9 Kwh plan. They said that I used almost double the electricity in Jan than in Dec. I remember using about the same for both months. Yes, I know about the higher customer charge for 6 month plan! Guess these damn companies are going to make it in their favor one way or another and use extortion like the mafia saying what are you going to do about it, you have to go through one of us unless you like to sweat and not have food cooked. BTW this is in Texas were we get screwed the most for energy costs as of 2009.
 9th of May, 2009 by   mike23 0 Votes
What I would like to hear is what Government agencies have to say about Ambit. So Ambit has been scaming and pyramiding. Why are they allowed to exist with all the cheating going on . Can someone please answer my questions.
 13th of Aug, 2009 by   mike823 0 Votes
Some things to consider...Ambit doesn't read meters. All meters are read by the same people (in DFW Texas it is Oncor). You will see about a 2.00 charge on your bill for meter reading no matter which company you are with. It is a passthrough charge from Oncor. The only difference is where Oncor sends the numbers is collects from the meter, so meter reading is not within the control of your retail electric provider (REP).

Here is the other thing to remember with all providers: If you are on a plan that expires it's term and you do not elect a new plan they will put you on the most expensive plan they offer (why wouldn't they?) and it is always the standard (non-introductory) month to month. If you select month to month when you sign up the month to month rate is introductory for one month (just as with other providers). After that "standard rates apply".

However, you can always elect the three, six or twelve month rate plan and save substantially over the "standard rate" as you can with most companies. With Ambit the "standard rate" tends to still be lower than the discounted plans with the bigger players. Be sure that you are watching and renew term plans and the pricing will remain among the best in the industry.

In terms of "it took them over a month to switch me" - The law requires an 11 day wait for transfer of provider so that the Public Utility Commission can send a postcard to verify the change prior to the new provider taking the account (to avoid slamming). After the 11 day grace period you must complete the then current billing cycle with your existing provider. Window can be up to 45 days, but that is dictated by the state guidelines for chaning a provider, not by the company taking over the account.

Hope this helps.
 1st of Feb, 2010 by   Kim Herman 0 Votes
I'm writing to say that I am a new customer of Ambit. I recently moved from Austin to Dallas and chose Ambit among many, many other electricity providers.

And I am furious and disappointed.

I received my first bill in the mail and proceeded to pay it online today. I did not choose to nor do I want to set up online payments. I simply made a one-time payment with my debit card online. I received a confirmation number and believed I that $108.45 was correctly debited from my account.

I was wrong.

Ambit took $108.45 from my account...twice!

I'm further irritated by the fact that I have to wait until first thing in the morning to call Ambit, as there is no email address for customer service. Unfortunately, I didn't notice this online payment travesty until the end of the business day.

What a nice way to welcome a new customer, Ambit, not to mention a responsible customer who pays her bills early.

Thank you for taking two payments of $108.45 from me instead of just the one payment of $108.45 which is all that I owed.
 20th of Jul, 2010 by   M Arch 0 Votes
In New York all of the Ambit customers that I have talked to have NO complaints, as a matter of fact everyone is happy with the service and can't wait to take advantage of the travel rewards. Maybe now that Ambit is not so new they have worked out all the kinks. There is no risk to try Ambit!
 9th of Sep, 2010 by   Arron Johnson 0 Votes
Ambit Energy is a great opportunity for people looking save on their energy cost and at the same time help others save on their energy costs. Currently Ambit is the #1 Top earning company as per INC 500 Magazine. Do I need to say any more?

We just made a major announcement of expanding markets and we are now able to offer the same savings opportunity to small businesses in TX.

I can go on and on about how great Ambit Energy is. Three thumbs up .. oops sorry I only have two thumbs. :)

Find out Why does Ambit Energy Work? http://bit.ly/9F7KwR
Save money and Join Ambit Now http://bit.ly/9Vn3kR
 26th of Sep, 2010 by   SARA728 0 Votes
FIEST OF ALL I HAVE TO JUST SAY THAT AMBIT HAS BEEN AROUND SINCE 2006. I HAVE HAD THEIR SERVICE SINCE AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. THE CONSULTANTS THAT WORK FOR AMBIT ENERGY ARE PERSONALLY THERE TO HELP RESOLVE ISSUES SO THAT CUSTOMERS CAN AVOID LONG WAIT TIMES! I HAVE MADE MORE THAN $175, 000 WITH AMBIT AND THEY ARE A GOOD COMPANY. THERE ISM NO WAY THEY OVER CHARGE CUSTOMERS AND STILL ARE ABLE TO BE THE FASTEST GROWING COMPANY IN TEXAS. THERE RATES ARE FIXED AND THERE SERVICE IS AWESOME!! I PERSONALLY HAVE MORE THAN 30 CUSTOMERS AND NOT ONE HAS COMPLAINED ABOUT THEIR BILL!! IF YOUR BILL WAS$1000 THAN YOU HAVE TO HAVE HAD LATE CHARGES AND PAST MONTHY BALANCES. OTHER COMPANIES DON'T OFFER WHAT AMBIT ENERGY OFFERS!! TRAVEL REWARD POINTS, FREE ELECTRICITY, AND FREE TRAVEL. GET OVER YOUR BITTER EXPERIENCE! AMBIT ENERGY IS AWESOME!
 27th of Sep, 2010 by   aa.smith +1 Votes
The complaints listed here smell of a smear campaign. I've had Ambit service for over a year and the only thing that has changed is the size of my bill: Its much smaller. I went from paying 18 cents with Reliant to 9 cents with Ambit. That's a 50% savings and Ambit only claims "up to 30%" in Texas. I was impressed enough after two months to become a consultant. I regularly have customers call me and thank me for telling them about Ambit. I put my reputation on the line every time I refer a friend or relative to Ambit, and they have never let me down.

Lottery Scams