logo

Alamo Rent A Car

Posted:    Kira239

Additonal Driver Fee

Alamo Rent A Car
Recently I booked a car on Priceline for Baltimore. The contract was accepted by Alamo. I paid for the rental with my credit card and listed my daughter as the driver. Everything was fine until we were leaving the parking lot. The Alamo security lady said that the name on the credit card and driver's license were different so they sent me back to the counter. There the Alamo attendant told me I would have to add my daughter as an additional driver. I showed them my contract which stated she was the only driver. I had an eye problem and was not going to drive. They still charged me for the additional driver. I contacted Priceline and was told Alamo should not have charged me as it violated the contract Priceline has with Alamo, but they could not do anything, I would need to deal directly with Alamo. When I called Alamo, they said their policy was to charge for the extra driver, even though she was the only driver and that Priceline could not tell them to do different. I recontacted Priceline and they were unwilling to do anything else as it was Alamo that charged my account. So, beware, only the person with the credit card used to rent the car can be the primary driver. I am really annoyed at both parties for not telling us this beforehand. It is an underhanded way to get more money.
Comments United States Car Rental
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

26th of Aug, 2009 by   Patti510 0 Votes
Something similar happened to me recently. We rented a car in Michigan (but are from California) and added my husband as an additional driver. Previously, when renting an auto, adding a spouse as an additional driver was free. The rental agreement was originally through Priceline.com and was paid for in full. When we returned the car we were handed an additional charge of almost $100. This pisses me off. This cost was not disclosed and if I had known I would have gone with another rental company. I just called Alamo's customer service department and was told that this is a state based fee and that it is free in California but not in Michigan. I am disturbed about this additional fee especially after spending time doing my homework to find the best deal and then this happened. Boooo for Alamo! The moral of this story is...ask questions when adding an additional driver as sometimes they will not disclose this additional charge. Bottom line, I think this is unlawful.
 25th of Mar, 2010 by   King1970 0 Votes
Correct...no driver fee in California at all...even if u add 10 drivers.
 23rd of Jun, 2010 by   King1970 0 Votes