logo

Business in Trouble???

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Afni Collections Complaints & Reviews - These rip-offs must be punished for what they are doing!

Afni Collections Contacts & Informations

Afni Collections

Posted:    Valerie

These rip-offs must be punished for what they are doing!

I received a collections notice from Afni, Inc., also Afni Collections stating that I owed Verizon Communications a bill for an outrageous amount of $637.25. I only owe Verizon for my current phone service.

Verizon stated that I only owe for my current bill. I have never at anytime ever owed Verizon this amount. If I ever did, I seriously doubt if I would have any type of phone service available to me today.

When I went to their website, it is a fake too! These ripoff con artists need to be stopped and prevented from pulling this with anyone else. Also from causing Verizon a needless bad reputation.

The phone number they are using on the bill they sent to me is not even my correct phone number. These rip-offs need stopped and punished for what they are doing and trying to do!
Comments United States Collections Agencies
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of Jan, 2007 by   Mark M 0 Votes
I also received a letter from Afni on 1/17/07 from a fraudulent account dated back to 1992. I called Verizon and they have no such record of this account. Afni said that I had to fill out a form on there web site with more personal information on it to disputed the claim. I certainly don't feel comfortable giving out my personal information in this manner. Any advice would be helpful.

Frustrated...
 18th of Jan, 2007 by   joshua Kieth smith 0 Votes
I am 22 and i just received the same type of letter on 1/02/07 for an account that was open in 1998 i was 13 at the time the company keeps giving me the run around on phone and also said i would have to go to their web site and fill out a fraud form, the web site is not even up, i was advised by a collections attorney to contact them in writing to cease with the collections process and clear my credit for what they are doing is against the law.
 18th of Jan, 2007 by   Mike 0 Votes
I received the same notice from AFNI, claiming I owed over $500 to Verizon. I called the number (no answer) and tried to look up their website (no such site). I was confused but greatly relieved to find the many comments posted on the internet from others who are just as confused as I am. I filed a complaint with the BBB, and of course I have no intention of paying this false collection notice.
 19th of Jan, 2007 by   Carol Layman 0 Votes
I also just received a letter from afni dated 1/16/07, say I owed them $344.14. I don't even have an account with verizon nor have I had an account with GtE, which the letter states that Verizon was formerly GTE. I was trying to pull up the website when i came across this page. I feel a lot better knowing that this is a scam and not a Litgit bill. I was frantically trying to figure out what this collection was for. GTE and Verizon aren't even available where I live. I was afraid someone had used my name and ran up a bill. I am going to go ahead and try to log on to the web site but at least now I am a little more informed.
 19th of Jan, 2007 by   Catlady 0 Votes
Just received notice 1/19/07 from AFNI for a verizon bill from 7 years ago at a phone number we've never had for $576.03. Not only does the notice itself look suspicious with lack of detail, but I'm also noticing that in searching the web for this AFNI, people are always giving a different P.O. box #. Kinda makes you wonder how many P.O. boxes they own doesn't it? This notice says P.O. box 4115.
 20th of Jan, 2007 by   Greg Peters 0 Votes
We just received a letter from Afni Collections too. Claiming, what seems to be their M.O., That we owe nearly $300 to Verizon Communications. I'm not sure how they get their information but the collection notice lists my wife's maiden name, which hasn't been her legal name for over ten years and the phone number they list shows our current area code but the prefix and number they list is from a phone we had when we lived outside the area code. This is a major scam!

Having read complaints on other websites and I worry about doing nothing; I have read instances where Afni is reporting bad to credit reporting agencies, This is ruining peoples otherwise good credit history. Is anyone fighting back? By the way my notice has an Afni PO box of 3427.
 22nd of Jan, 2007 by   K Durand 0 Votes
Same story here in Dallas! I received the letter 1/22 dated 1/16 from Afni collection for Verizon of $179.56 with a number that's never been mine. I waited on the phone for 45 minutes to talk to someone. I provided the Afni associate the Afni acct number of my letter and asked him to tell me the name, which he couldn't, so I disconnected. I also contacted Verizon, which has no record of any debt for me, and even verified it with my SSN.

FYI, here is the info from my letter to see if it matches:
Afni, Inc PO Box 3427 866-308-1160

Of course, I am reporting them to the BBB and would encourage everyone else to do the same.
 22nd of Jan, 2007 by   Tiffany Earhart 0 Votes
Ahh! I received a letter today stating the same thing! It says my husband owes $137.12 to Verizon Communications and the number listed as the billing telephone number is from a state my husband has not been a resident in for over 10 years! Not to mention we're not even with Verizon!!!! I am considering contacting the local authorities . The address on my letter is: Afni, Inc. PO Box 3427, Bloomington, IL 61702-3427
(866)308-1160

Hope this helps someone.
 22nd of Jan, 2007 by   Liar-liar! 0 Votes
My wife just told me we received a collections notice stating that we owed over $250 on a bill to a phone number we never had, over 15 years ago! When you call, the number is busy and a recording asks you to either A: Leave all your information, social security, phone numbers, birth date, etc on the recording or B: Give them your mailing address for a "fraud packet" they'll send out and in that put all the above information....WHAT!!! If it walks like a duck....This not only borders on fraud, who in there right mind would give out this kind of info? It seems to have Verizon as a willing partner because that is who the initial contact is with!!!
 22nd of Jan, 2007 by   Michelle 0 Votes
I received a similar letter from Afni claiming I owed money for a Verizon account. I spoke with a representative from the Verizon collections department, and she told me that Verizon is aware that Afni has sent out many of these letters "in error"!

Even though the collection notices are fraudulent, you still have to DISPUTE THEM IN WRITING. You should send your written dispute by certified mail with return receipt requested. This will cost about $4 and it's ridiculous that we have to go through this crap, but it's necessary to protect ourselves since it's evident that Afni Collections is just a scummy thieving operation.

It is also important that we all FILE CONSUMER COMPLAINTS against Afni Collections with the FTC. You can call the FTC at 877-FTC-HELP and follow the prompts until you reach a live person. And/or go to their website at www.ftc.gov and select "For Consumers" from the menu on the right side, then select "File a Complaint" toward the bottom of the next page. Here is the complaint that I submitted today:

"I received a collection notice from Afni Collections dated January 16, 2007 claiming a balance due of $200.39 on a Verizon telephone account. I subsequently spoke with two representatives from the Verizon billing and collections department, and they informed me that Verizon has no record of any balance due on this account. Furthermore, they mentioned that Verizon is aware that many erroneous collection notices have been sent out by Afni Collections, including for phone numbers in states in which customers have never even lived. I have made several attempts to contact Afni Collections by phone, but their phone numbers provide only an automated response stating that they are unable to take calls. I will, of course, dispute this collection attempt in writing by certified mail, but I want to make the FTC aware of Afni Collections' unlawful activities, especially since this problem appears to be fairly widespread. Please see the following website for complaints posted by some of the other people who have received similar fraudulent collection notices from Afni Collections. Thank you for your efforts to protect consumers from these predators."

Good luck to everyone affected by this! If you have any updates to the situation, please post to keep everyone else informed. Thanks!
 22nd of Jan, 2007 by   Michelle 0 Votes
Oh yeah, and DO NOT give Afni Collections any additional personal information about yourselves! They will only use it to victimize you further.
 22nd of Jan, 2007 by   Jaymes 0 Votes
Got one of these the other day, dated January 16th and mailed from Concord, California. The PO Box is 3427 on mine. I spoke with my attorney this afternoon and she advised I send a certified letter demanding proof of debt, which they have to provide to legally collect on one. I already filed complaints with the Federal Trade Commission and Better Business Bureau and I suggest everyone else do the same.

I can't imagine how this company could have mixed up so many people's names, addresses, and credit info with real, very old past-due accounts. I'd imagine they'll have some serious explaining to do!

It doesn't appear as though our names and SS numbers were used to fraudulently open Verizon land-line accounts, though that looks like the case at first glance. There is absolutely nothing on my credit report that says I ever had a Verizon phone number, let alone a past-due account with them dating back ten years! If our credit is affected by Afni's mistake, however, we all have grounds for a seriously damaging class-action lawsuit.
 22nd of Jan, 2007 by   Bill Jimenez 0 Votes
Add me to the list. Got mine in the mail today, again, a Verizon account I never had. The PO Box on this one is 3427 as well. Tried calling and got the "could not answer" message. File a complaint with the FTC and will draft a letter to AFNI demanding proof of debt. Thanks for the tips everyone.
 22nd of Jan, 2007 by   Vickie 0 Votes
I also received a letter from Afni, Inc. When I contacted them (after waiting 40 minutes), I was told it was from 1993. The person I spoke with told me that they could in fact report it on my credit if the debt had never been reported previously. I have contacted Clark Howard about it and am waiting to hear back. I will post with an update as soon as I do.
 22nd of Jan, 2007 by   Karen Pettigrew 0 Votes
Wow, I had no idea there are so many people from all over who have received this ridiculous "collection mail". Here too, mine dated 01/16/2007, with PO Box 3427, stating that a Verizon Communication account has been placed into collection. I have never even had the telephone number they list. I too, attempted to contact them by phone and the recording stated that they could not take my call because of such high call volume and the wait would be over 30 minutes long...I should certainly hope that someone is taking note of these...the BBB, the FTC. If this company is placing erroneous information on our credit reports (which they have no legal right to), they most certainly had better be prepared for a huge lawsuit. I have Verizon for my home phone service and had Verizon Wireless for a cell phone service, but neither have ever had this telephone number this company lists. Did anyone else's letter state not to contact Verizon Wireless? Just curious. I am definitely going to contact BBB and the FTC on this one. And I do not believe this is an "honest" mistake. Too many people from all over stating the same thing. I think this company is a complete fraud!!!
 23rd of Jan, 2007 by   Anne Marie Mulvey 0 Votes
I just got one of these letters and I am STEAMING! I called up the number and gave the rep hell, told her I knew it was a fricking scam and I had my cancelled check as proof of payment, that I had a verizon account back in 02. She wanted me to send her the check, I told her no way in hell was she getting anything with my banking information on it. She asked me if I was working, wanted my phone number. HA fat chance you swindler!

The PO box # on mine is 3517 - interesting how none of them are the same isn't it?
I just wrote to Verizon and told them these type of antics are an abomination and they should be aware of it and do something. I am on a rampage they are going to regret messing with us folks. BBB & FTC next stop.
 23rd of Jan, 2007 by   Tasha P 0 Votes
Well as seeing what everyone else is writing..I got the same letter dated January 16th saying I owe 135.43
which also the phone number listed is not even mine..and I have not had Verizon in three years.When I called Verizon they told me that they had sold some of there old accounts to this company called Afni, INC.
I was soooooo pissed when I got this letter thinking someone got my info or this is fraud. also what the hell is Verizon doing selling our info to another company. especially when some of us hasnt had Verizon in so many years. I have not been able to contact Afni, yet (in 2 days) I have been trying just about every half hour, but get that same BS message about heavy call volume so call back later. Verizon even verified my account saying it was in 2004 and nothing else was needed. I also noticed verizon on my credit report from last year and I meant to question it and now I guess it needs to be done. I also did a search on Afni, and nothing but fraud pops up everywhere. well like the others I am going to the BBB and the FTC. Someone else had said that they contacted Afni and asked for the proof of the debt and Afni told them that they can not send them the info...bogus....well lets all get it done.. They need to be stopped.
 23rd of Jan, 2007 by   Kenneth Swanson 0 Votes
Yeah, so I just got one of these bills in the mail saying that I owed Afni for a Verizon account. But the problem is that I never even had a telephone in my name nor have I ever payed for an account from a relative. Best believe that I'm gonna give these punks a piece of my mind. I'm gonna follow everyone else's lead and go to the BBB and the FTC.
 23rd of Jan, 2007 by   lynn t 0 Votes
Afni stating I owe verizion acct. When in fact I've never owned a cell phone. Afni do not answer there phones and verizion say they sold afni the info.
 23rd of Jan, 2007 by   popeye 0 Votes
Wow what a scam. I didn't even remember this # until a hour later when i realized it was from 1997. shit a decade bitch ! i payed this sooo long ago it was when usc football was still marginal ! raving was played out but still a functioning scene ! and OJ & Clinton (bill) were Jnny Carson punchlines !!!!!

3 Tips for Successful Complaining