logo

Business / Personal Loan Offer
Apply urgent loan offer
2. (48 mins ago)
fugenx.com
Their work is horrible, slow and doesn’t worth of your money
3. (48 mins ago)
Unauthorized charges

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Abercrombie, Hollister, Moss Point Complaints & Reviews - Descrimination against heathy sized girls

Abercrombie, Hollister Contacts & Informations

Abercrombie, Hollister

Posted:    Grace Bloodsworth

Descrimination against heathy sized girls

22013 Cap Johnson Rd.
Phone: (228) 588-3337
As a mom of an average-sized 12 year old girl, I would like to tell "Abercrombie and Hollister" stores that I am so ashamed of you. I recently went into your store in Mobile, AL to purchase school uniforms for my daughter and was shocked to learn that they only go up to a certain size. When I asked the employee if they had a larger size in the shirt, they quickly let me know that they do not sale any larger clothing. I then looked at my daughter, who's face was turning red and her eyes filled up with tears because she was embarassed. This made her feel she wasn't good enough for your clothes. That is wrong, wrong, wrong! She is a great girl who is going through enough with puberty and hormones to have to worry about being descriminated against for being HEALTHY. Your store shows photos of BONE-THIN girls everywhere. So this makes the average american girl feel she is not beautiful because she does not look like them. This is what causes complexes and anerexia in young teens. I am so ashamed of you for doing this. Even the large sized clothes looked like an average small-junior size. In the past I have been able to purchase clothing at your stores and knew that even though my daughter wore a certain size in all other stores but in your stores she would have to get two sizes larger to fit (this making her feel uncomfortable) but we purchased them anyways. You line of clothes are very popular in her school and she liked wearing them because of their styles but now she is considered to large for your clothes. This makes me irrate! She is not overweight and even if she was, she should be able to wear your clothing line. What is the problem? Are you to cheap to purchase more fabric? Is that why your clothes are so small? With the extremely high prices of your clothes, we, the consumer, should get our money's worth! Stores like yours are a disgrace to the american public and should be made to allow larger sizes so ALL GIRLS can wear the name-brands just like their smaller friendS wear. Having a moto like "IF YOU WEAR ABERCROBIE OR HOLLISTER YOU ARE SKINNY!" is wrong and hurtful. This is what your store is preaching by not selling larger sized clothes which would fit the majority of the average girl! As I stated before, my daughter is a beautiful, medium sized 12 year old who has been judged by your stores and made to think she isn't good enough or thin enought to purchase your clothing. I am not asking you to open a PLUS SIZED line of clothing but only to offer larger sizes so EVERY girl can purchase your clothing. This is not the end of my fight in this. I fully intend to contact many, many, other moms who I know will feel the same and will protest as I have done!
I now would like to end this complaint with this: YOU, ABERCROBIE AND HOLLISTER STORES, OWE MY DAUGHTER AND EVERY GIRL WHO HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO PURCHASE YOU CLOTHES BECAUSE OF SUCH SMALL SIZES, AN APOLOGY! ALL GIRLS ARE BEAUTIFUL AND THAT IS THE ONLY MOTO YOUR STORES SHOULD SELL. I AM CERTAIN THAT IF YOU PRESS THAT ISSUE YOUR SALES WOULD INCREASE GREATLY! THANK GOD FOR AMERICAN EAGLE AND AEROPOSTLE!

Comments United States Clothing, Shoes & Acc
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

3rd of Aug, 2008 by   joe -9 Votes
Your daughter is overweight and the store should accomodate her? They sell clothes to normal size girls only. What is the problem? Open your own store if you want to sell and buy plus size stuff...Your daughter is the exception not the rule.
 3rd of Aug, 2008 by   mary +4 Votes
if they can not make a size for all then they have problems, i am not overweight, but larger than the average female, and i would love to look good in a outfit!! please consider changing your tude about how you make clothes
 20th of Aug, 2008 by   Bethany -2 Votes
You know i could see if they did actually say something about your daughters weight, then there would be a reason to be mad? but just becasue your daughter is to big to fit into the clothes doesnt mean that you should be all freaking out saying that they are trying to make others feel bad! They are a clothing line for AVERAGE size TEENS and i have a bigger friends who can shop there so not to be rude but your daighter must be pretty big, thats not there fault nor is it hers, thats like going into baby gap and complaining that they dont sell for kids who are 12 or somthing just as baby gap is for babys, abercrombie and hollister are clearly made for teens! your argument is completly stupid and there is no real reason to be saying things and protesting? I think that you and your daughter are just emmbaressed so you feel that you should go and announce to the world that you cant fit into teen clothing well whatever i shop there and i love it and i fit into everything because i am average size. Find somthing really to comlain about, and if you say thank god for american eagle and aeropostal? then why dont you just stay shopping at those places they are both brand name places [[mostly american eagle, i hate aeropostal there to cheap]] anywayz much love and i just wanted you guys to see how other people see it
 29th of Aug, 2008 by   Jon -4 Votes
 30th of Aug, 2008 by   Grace Bloodsworth -4 Votes
To those who have commented so negatively I say: Shame on you as well! My daughter wears clothes at American Eagle in a size 6-8. That is not considered in your words "Fat". How can you say such hateful and hurtful things? I only stated the TRUTH in my complaint. Your comments only show your uncaring concern for anyone but yourselves. The truth is that the clothes Abercrombie and Hollister sells are sized to small. The large and x-large clothes would be considered small-medium in all other stores. All I am asking is for them to change their size-chart to better fit the majority of girls. My daughter loves the styles they sell, but as a 130 1b, 5'3" girl she can not fit any of their tops at all. To the employee of hollister who commented so rudely: Your comment only brings to light the whole reason I posted this complaint in the first place and shows first hand the descrimination people like you show towards any young girl who can't fit your small sized clothing and puts the spotlight on what I am saying about how these stores stress the issue of "YOU ARE THIN IF YOU WEAR OUR CLOTHING!" The truth is that these stores should only encourage EVERY girl that they are beautiful and even if they are bigger, they can still find clothing that fits them and thier size. Anyone who can't see the light in this is blind at heart! Let me end this with a quote from someone very powerful: Jesus said " Love eachother as I have loved you!" Thank You, A loving mother who only wants all young girls to know they are beautiful no matter their size, race, or nationality!
 2nd of Sep, 2008 by   Quincy +4 Votes
I would like to say that I am usually an extra small in stores like dELiA*s and Pac Sun. Back in my days of Hollister (-sigh- That was a depressing phase) I was a small... Just sayin'. :) Please don't hate on me, I get your concern though. I saw a tube top that could fit my cousin... And she's 2.
 2nd of Sep, 2008 by   Markus -10 Votes
 4th of Sep, 2008 by   Kaylynn -6 Votes
Alright lady, I am a current employee at Hollister and I believe our size chart to be VERY fair. Our shirts go from XS-XL. Does she need XXL or something? Also, Our jeans go up to a size 11. I'm sorry but that is a very fair range. And as for you saying that our sizes are not really the size they claim to be is bullsh*t. I'm a 0/xs in Hollister just as I am with EVERY OTHER STORE. You say thank God for American Eagle so maybe you should just shop there. They look a lot like Hollister clothes anyways.
 10th of Oct, 2008 by   Amanda +7 Votes
I really feel like you need to teach your daughter not to be so material and be a label whore. You need to teach her that her beauty needs to come from her, not because her t shirt say Hollister on it. If she feels ugly or bad it is your fault, for not teaching her self confidence. No label can give that to her. And like Hello a pair of jeans is a pair of jeans does it matter where you get them.
 19th of Oct, 2008 by   katie +2 Votes
My first comment is in regard to the emloyee who said "As a Hollister Employee, I know for a fact that we sell up to size Large shirts and Size 11 Jeans. If your daughter can't fit in those sizes, stop hitting Taco Bell and Burger King, and go to the salad bar." I find this comment to be extremely rude, out of place and prejudice. You do not know as a fact that those people are fat and you definently don't know that it is because they eat out. I am not a particulariley fat person but i do happen to have a large chest which forces me to wear a size large in shirts, so are you telling me that i am fat and eat out to much. I do not feel that you have put much thought into your comment at all. Or the size 11 jeans, i've been into hollister with friends before, and i can tell you that if you can even find the size 11 it will be hidden very well. You have no right to tell people that there daughters are fat. And second i can not help but post a commnet in response to the person who stated "sounds like someone has a fatty boom boom daughter/future diabetic. better start teaching her better eating habits instead of how to scream and throw temper tantrums when you don't get things your way." I believe a person has a right to voice there oppinion but this is to the point of abbsolute discgrace. And who says that the young lady throws tantrums? The mother could simply be worried for the sake of her daughter. Do you have any idea how big a promblem anerexia and bulimia have become?!?! Also the comment stating "You need to teach her that her beauty needs to come from her, not because her t shirt say Hollister on it. If she feels ugly or bad it is your fault, for not teaching her self confidence." really caught my eye, because as a young teen in the modern world right now i know first hand that our state of confidence is not caused from our parents but from our peers, i don't believe i've heard many comments looking through the eyes of a girl who would actually be going through this. In conclusion I am amoungst those who are against the sizes of hollister, stop turning your heads and saying it isn't a promblem, stores like hollister and abercrombie are the reason for today's anerexia and low level of confidence. How hard is it to up sizes, it would actually be good for the stores image, i'm not saying they have to post pictures of thin girls but why not sell extended sizes? Let young girls feel confident by letting them wear well known clothes stop only allowing certain sized girls to live the life they want.
 23rd of Oct, 2008 by   Holly B  Best Advice +11 Votes
I love the quality of their clothing, but I do agree with this mother. I remember being the chubby girl that couldnt fit into their clothes.. (I was pretty hefty when i was younger (Abt 160 lbs)

Last time i checked a 5 ft 3 130 lb female was not fat or even chubby,

I mean im 5 ft 7 140 lbs now which is healthy and not bone thin.. I wear a size 10 in American Eagle (which I love) But god forbid I walk into an Abercrombie.. I swear their clothes are made for people without a curve in their body..

I eat healthy exercise and have muscle, but these girls that work there have no body what so ever..

And the girl that said she was a Hollister Employee, thats exactly the mentality that we DONT need as a society, your superficial and should be ashamed of yourself, do you not understand that not everyone fits into that mold, and labeling someone by their size is ridiculous..

And mom, if your daughter cannot wear their clothes, such as myself.. Dont worry. Their are plenty of other places that have cute clothes that would be gorgeous on her, I wouldnt want to give these assholes my money now anyways, let her know shes gorgeous and just encourage her to stay a healthy weight, when she gets older all of her bone skinny friends with no boobs or curves will be wishing they had her body.

Take Care.
 25th of Oct, 2008 by   PAM +2 Votes
I think this company, is basically short changing them self, who cares what size you are? If you make a product, and you want to make some real money you should accommodate everyone, that means Sales!!! They say we have alot of over weight children in America, I'm sure they already feel bad about them self's, they need to fit in also.People, these are children we are talking about!!I'm not over weight nor are my children I want a shirt that is a little loose for comfort, and in case I dry it too long, I still want it to fit, so I want value for my money, these cloths don't rate well, for the cost.This company needs to be realistic, if they want to make more money! I work out regular, and stay in pretty good shape for a 45 year old single women, I have no problem getting a date, I look good in my clothes, I'm 5'8 I can't fit in in these clothes because I have breasts, so this company can't sell to me either, but that's fine, for the price of their clothes they don't use good quality material, and all you are doing is buying there name, because there quality is no different than buying Walmart and that sucks for what you payed. I bet they will make some changes when they don't get their sales do to a falling economy if not, this company is stupid!
 25th of Oct, 2008 by   Aimee 0 Votes
I can understand about how Hollister runs their clothing a bit small, but Abercrombie does not. Hollister's size 7, is the same as Abercrombie's size 6, so in reality, Abercrombie's clothing doesn't run small. I'm not sure why your daughter can't fit into Hollister. I myself am 5'2" and I normally wear a size 5 in juniors, but in hollister i wear a 7. So your daughter if she really is that weight/height, she should be able to fit in their clothes just fine. If she can't just stick with American Eagle, their clothes are just as nice and popular, and their sizes run big there.
 25th of Oct, 2008 by   Aimee 0 Votes
Woops, forgot to add that i'm 130lbs/5'2.5" *forgot that extra half inch in my first post LOL* I wear 5's in levi's, and most other junior's clothing brands, a 6 at abercrombie, a 7 at hollister, but only a 4 at american eagle. So it's all in the brand. Not your daughter's height/weight ratio.
 26th of Oct, 2008 by   katie +4 Votes
i posted a comment 7 days ago and the other day my friend invited me to the mall with her. We ran into hollister for a quick look at their clothing and as i was looking through their jackets, i found on in my size and tried it on, i found that it was tighter than some of the other jackets i had tried on there so i looked through it's tags and i found something interesting, the tag said cali shrunk*sexy slim fit, this could poosibley be one of the reasons that some of there sizes seem a size smaller. Kind of out of the blue i know, but i'm just commenting in regard to those who say holllister lies about sizes
 30th of Oct, 2008 by   Alexandra +6 Votes
I would like to apologize, as an eighteen year old female, for the feedback some of these people gave you. It seems like the hurtful words came from those who are similar in age to me and I can't believe their cruelty. These girls, or maybe even guys are the reason kids hate going to school. I have been struggling with an eating disorder for 5 years now and have worn jean sizes ranging from a size 0 to a size 10 because of it. You are completely right in saying that their clothes run small in comparison to all other stores in our country. I am now a size 5/6 in a standard size jean, but cannot however fit into a Hollister size 8/9. It is disheartening to go in there because leaving you feel insecure about yourself. I would recommend that your daughter pick another store to shop at, have her own style, and not worry about doing what the other girls are doing. She is special and her own person, and doesn't need a shirt label to make her better than she already is.
 30th of Oct, 2008 by   adridri +6 Votes
I dont understand why Hollister is such a big deal. Teen girls shop there because it is popular, and their friends shop there. The only reason why girls shop there is because there is a stupid bird on the bottom of all the clothes. Eventually the Hollister clothes will go out of style. Spending like 48 dollars on some t-shirt with a bird is so stupid! . I agree with everyone who thinks the sizes are insanely small. First of all, the clothes look like they are made for flat 10 year old boys, since those flowy baby doll shirts dont have any place for your chest! And second of all, A size large there is equal to like the length of a crumb. This DOES make everyone who is normally=sized feel like SUCH CRAP. Everyone who defends it is probably just really skinny, and they are able to fit into the clothing, so they defend it. TO ALL OF YOU WHO ARE DIE HARD HOLLISTER FANS, HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOU WERE NORMALLY SIZED AND YOU COULDNT FIT INTO THEIR CLOTHING.

hollister pisses me off
 30th of Oct, 2008 by   Stephen J 0 Votes
As a FAT kid growing up, I can relate to the issue of clothes from the well known retailers not fitting. I had to go to a specialty place for Husky. However, that was my fault. Not every business can be all to all.
That is also why there was/is Romans for the larger sized women.
I took control of the situation and lost the weight. I have never returned to being overweight-MY RESPONSIBILITY
Also, PLEASE spell check when you post articles- it gives more credence to what you say
 2nd of Nov, 2008 by   Jessica +7 Votes
I completely agree! I am 5'5, 140 pounds, and I can't hardly wear their clothing. Its not that im really fat, its just that I am muscular in my upper body, because I am a gymnast. They claim that they do have size Large, but its almost impossible to find in the store.

And for the employee, Jon? or whatever your name is. More than likely, you shouldn't talk shit about anyone being over weight..you probably have more than enough people in the world calling you a fag right now. ( Not that I have a problem with gay people) But damn, get rid of your little miss priss attitude and have respect for people who might not agree with their kids having to starve themselves just because in their minds they are fat. Ive noticed that alot of the employees for Hollister are rather little bitty snotty women, or the gayest of all gays of men that think they are so much better than everyone else.

I seriously can't believe anyone would talk like that about a little girl. Grow up you idiots.
 4th of Nov, 2008 by   Taylor -2 Votes
This is dumb! I am currently working at Hollister Co. and I think that this comment ins crazy! If your kid is fat, maybe she should loose weight? I'm an 18 year old guy and since i started working at hollister i have never felt better. Working there encourages me to stay in shape and eat healthy. How is that bad? The reason we don't cater to your daughters size is because it doesn't fit the image we want to keep at Hollister. The hollister image is a health fit lifestyle. A surfing style for the young and beautiful. So if your daughter wants to wear clothes from Hollister, maybe she should loose weight?

3 Ways to Bring Customers to Your Small Business