Xcel Energy

&Cold Weather Rule&

There really is no "Cold Weather Rule" for the northern states anymore. I called Xcel at the start of the winter to inquire about a payment plan for this winter, to make sure I would be covered under the "Cold Weather Rule". I generally pay $100/mo for electricity all year round. They set the monthly payment for me at over $150, because as they said my electricity "might" go up this winter. How is that helping me out? How is that helping any low income customer out. I sent them a payment two weeks ago on schedule, and just got a notice in the mail today demanding another payment in 6 days. I thought it was supposed to be a MONTHLY payment! I'm a single parent with a toddler on a very fixed income. Now I have to make my landlord wait for rent just to pay Xcel, because they feel like breaking the terms of the payment plan we already had in place! I don't want to make my landlord wait for money, but I have to. It's still below zero up here nightly and sometimes during the day as well. If I don't pay them, we freeze. We have nowhere else to go, and I work from home. How is shutting us off going to get them their money any faster? They really can do whatever they want to people, and get away with it. There's nothing anyone can do. We have nothing and they have enough money to buy and sell every single one of us.
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Utility Services
Was the above complaint useful?

6th of Oct, 2011 by    0 Votes
I just spoke to Xcel Enegy today and the new "Cold Weather Rule" for 2011-12 is from October 15 -April 15 just for everyones information.
 13th of Apr, 2013 by    0 Votes
Minnesota has a cold weather rule that says you have to be making payments and have a payment plan in place from Oct 15 to APR 15 or you can be shut off until you make an arrangement or pay off the amount owed. There is no free lunch so if you are low income you can get a special payment based upon your ability to pay, not what they want you to pay. You will have to pay in the warmer months so get used to paying. I want to thank Obama for making it even worse than it was before. Now even minority's have to pay their bills just like white people always did. That sucks!!.

Contact Us