logo

World Ventures

Posted:    Thomas

Scam

World Ventures
I really think it's great your friend wants to lose money to support the few at the top. It's very stupid but some folks are just generous that way. Please don't lend any of your money when he/she is broke and can't pay the rent.

Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

28th of Aug, 2009 by   La Verite -1 Votes
While NOT ILLEGAL, World Ventures does work off the old "Puramid Scheme" setup. You PAY CASH to recruit people, and make it back from the cash of your recruits. Logically, someone has to lose money for you to get paid.

However, as they do offer actual vacations and travel services, this is not a crime. One could argue that your money also paid for your access to their exclusive vaccation deals, (which are consistently higher than Travelocity, Expedia, or even face-value hotel expenses.) The packages are a rip off, as is the recruitment, but its legal. And realistically, if you can sucker in enough of your fellow saps, you actually can profit. So long as the there is a lower rung on the ladder to pay for your mistake.

They don't lie to you. the just hide the truth in pretty words and motivational hotel "pep rallies". Dont be fooled, most of these people are faking smiles to make their money back, even when things aren't going well. My advice- dont get up in arms, there's nothing you can do. Just look out for yourself and your loved ones.
 20th of Sep, 2009 by   Cynical 0 Votes
Why isn't this illegal?

Posted on the Texas Attorney General's website - "The Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act (DTPA) prohibits pyramid promotional schemes. The DTPA defines a pyramid as a plan or operation by which a person gives consideration for the opportunity to receive compensation that is derived primarily from a person's introduction of other persons to participate in the plan or operation, rather than from the sale of a product."
 22nd of Sep, 2009 by   Cynical -1 Votes
As stated above "And realistically, if you can sucker in enough of your fellow saps, you actually can profit."

So the question comes down to then, it is ethical? Is it worth alienating your friends, family, and business associates to make a fast buck?

Also, with regards to this statement "They don't lie to you. the just hide the truth in pretty words and motivational hotel "pep rallies"."

That hit the nail on the head. The contradictions between the presentation I was shown versus the Detailed Compensation Plan on www.worldventures.biz almost seem to be endless. Just one example, the presenter repeated on several occasions there was no end to the amount of money that one could make, his exact words "Infinity". Yet, their Detailed Compensation Plan has several references to restrictions on maximum payouts, including by rank, and even includes an entire section called "65% payout cap rule." None of that was mentioned at all in the presentation.

26th of Sep, 2009 by   FormerWVRep -1 Votes
IT ABSOLUTELY IS A PYRAMID SCHEME TAKE IT FROM A FORMER REP

I actually worked for World Ventures for 8 solid months, and you do essentially get paid to recruit. That's all you get paid for actually. It's not in your initial introduction, alot of things aren't, the pay cap is an excellent example. For any prospective recruits, let me offer a quick breakdown

In joining World Ventures, you will be required to pay $49-$99 a month for access to their programs. (the services in question Dreamtrips, etc) and no, they consistently cost more than the major booking sites, look it up on Consumerreports.org. The presentations tell you they're better 69% of the time, but it's a complete lie.

By RECRUITING enough people your fees will be waived.

If you recruit in EXCESS of that amount, you will accrue a commission, as well as travel miles, etc. (the pay off, and its pathetic. Especially after the deductions they take out)

At my best point, mid-March, I was barely scraping by without paying the membership fees every month, my commission was a joke. I finally left the company two months ago, taking nothing with me for my time. but I made them a TON of money from other suckers like me, and what's worse is the people I recruited were all friends and family. Most of them are still buying in, and noone's making anything. Just enough to keep your hopes up.

So we have estavlished that there IS a payoff to sign-up and recruit. That's the primary basis of the business, so it really is a pyramid scheme. Hopefully legistlature will get more stringent on these guys, they're just barely fighting off the current lawsuits.

Hope that can help. I know its not eloquent, but its accurate, and to the above posters- you're absolutely right, if you haven't bought in- dont!
 30th of Oct, 2009 by   marsul99 -2 Votes
WorldVentures is a legitimate, lifestyle and travel product, network marketing business. There are any number of definitions as to what constitutes a pyramid scheme, but this helpful article by the FTC offers a very comprehensive explanation.

WorldVentures passes the “pyramid test” because the company does not pay commissions based on recruiting new Representatives. Rather, commissions are paid solely on the sale of DreamTrip Memberships and the LTC package. Significantly, these products are not sold at inflated prices and since they are not physically tangible items, Representatives do not carry any inventory.

Just because it didn't or you didn't work you want to say SCAM! Read the facts about the company.
We’ve also launched a new B2B division that markets the DreamTrip Membership as an employee benefit directly to companies with no mention of any Representative opportunity whatsoever. At the rate we are writing new B2B business, we will bring on thousands of new DreamTrip customers over the next 12 months.

WorldVentures is not a get-rich-quick scheme. It’s a viable business opportunity akin to Mary Kay, Pre-Paid Legal, Shaklee, Tupperware, Avon, or any other legitimate company using a home-based business distribution model. In fact, noted industrialists and corporations utilize the network marketing model as well. For example, Warren Buffet (Berkshire Hathaway) owns The Pampered Chef, Sir Richard Branson, owner of Virgin Airways also owns Virgin Vie, which distributes cosmetics and skincare products in Europe; banking giant CitiGroup owns Primerica Insurance Company, Donald Trump has announced that he is launching the Trump Network in October 2009, and clothing giant Jockey owns and operates Jockey Person-to-Person, The point is that the direct selling, or “network marketing” model is a legitimate business method, but is often misunderstood by those who simply look at the compensation structure and improperly conclude that they are pyramid schemes.
 30th of Oct, 2009 by   marsul99 +1 Votes
Former Rep why didn't you do your job?

30th of Oct, 2009 by   Bruce Shuell 0 Votes
Marsul99 -
would you please post a copy of the WorldVentures Income Disclosure statement so I can get an idea of who is making money with this company.
 7th of Nov, 2009 by   Frank from Cleveland +2 Votes
Pyramid Scheme...Hmmmm. The biggest pyramid is the social security system. Geesh...what is it? $360 to join? Oh my gosh...you will never see that $360 again. I've wasted $360 on dumber things. Spent over $500 on Cleveland Browns tickets. Talk about a waste of money!

I see pyramid phobia here. Don't worry. If you think you will get ripped off, then you probably will. If you think you'll make money with this company, you probably will. End of argument. Geesh...it sure is simple isn't it?
 10th of Dec, 2009 by   TwobyTwo -1 Votes
Former WV Rep:

I commend you for coming forth and admitting the truth. So many victims are ashamed they were conned into schemes such as this, they hide in shame.

Thank you.
 12th of Dec, 2009 by   DBDFW1967 0 Votes
Someone tried to recruit me into this scheme. They lied to me and told me we were going to a spa but she picked me up and took me to their corporate office (World Ventures) It may screech by as being legal, but anyone with a calculator can figure out the only people making the money are the ones at the top. The average person does not even make back what they put into it...average earnings are around 100.00 per year for this company. You would be better off buying lottery tickets than doing this. The corniest and most disgusting part of it is the people on meth or crack who work for the company in the audience saying "wow" and "unbelievable" every time the slides change - it is so hokey it is worse than any scam infomericial you have ever seen

When I told the recruiter I wanted to leave, they tried to take me off with a closer to another room "oh I have someone I want you to meet"

These people should be put in jail
 12th of Dec, 2009 by   DBDFW1967 -2 Votes
what a scam
 11th of Jan, 2010 by   SWSWSW -1 Votes
Some people see it, some people don't. Some people see it as $360 they are going to lose and are too afraid they are being ripped off to find out if it is for real. It goes against what they have always been taught, "Go to School so I can get a good job". These are the same people that have no problem paying $36, 000 (minimum) for a degree they may or may not use to gain access to higher levels of the biggest scam ever. To go to work for a company, were regardless of how educated or how hard you work, you will never make as much money as the guy or girl at the top. These are the people that willingly signed up to give 40 years of their life for a secure wage and health benefits to an individual or company that when it comes down to it has their own bottom line in mind and not their employees well being. These people are at home putting their lively hood in some one else's hands so that they have someone to blame when it goes bad. When they see an opportunity where they can earn as much as the guy at the top, but the responsibility is up to them, they don't understand it, it's not the way they have been conditioned and will always yell "SCAM"! Help those that can see, and leave those that don't be.

SWSWSW
 30th of Jan, 2010 by   dfw10 0 Votes
It sounds to me that the people that were unsucessful at the oppotrunity they are handed or as y'all would say "bought into" are just lazy! You can not expect things to be handed to you. YOU HAVE TO WORK TO SUCCEED!! It is all a mind set. Honestly, I am just researching into the company and trying to decide if I want to take on the challenge, and I have not decided what I am going to do. But reading some of the comments on here just makes me sick. Is this the type of society we live in? If you are dumb enough to expect this to be your sole income right out of the shoot, you need to be broke and "barely scraping by"!! And why hate on the people on the top? Do you think they just woke up one day and all of a sudden were making Millions, they had to start somewhere. Don't down on someone else for your lazyness!!!
 4th of Feb, 2010 by   rn13 0 Votes
SWSWSW,
First of all, big companies, such as the Fortune 500 companies, are not scams. They make millions/billions of dollars a year for a reason. Also, the people at the top of those companies deserve to be there. They started at the bottom OR they were the master minds of the business. They're not feeding off the people under them to make their living. They go to work every week, just like everyone else in their company, and work hard. Plus, who do you know works for a large company and doesn't get promoted? Anyone with a hard work ethic can make their way to the top. That's business. When I went to a WorldVenture meeting, I was told over and over again that the people up top "don't even have to get out of bed to get their $100, 000 paycheck a month." As appealing as that was supposed to sound, it made it very clear that it's a pyramid scheme. The people at the bottom are busting their asses while the people up top are making the big bucks and vacationing every other week. I completely agree with dfw10 about people who see this as their way to a steady income. It's pure laziness. Once again, the guy at the presentation was clearly trying to make people turn this into a career, which would most likely screw you in the ass one day or another down the road. Getting a higher education is not overrated. It's highly respected. Throwing it away for a company like WorldVenture is down right pathetic.
 7th of Feb, 2010 by   joejoe107 0 Votes
This company is not a scham, you have to work hard to get where you want to go. If you are lazy, then youll eat that 360 bucks initially and do nothing with it, but if you work hard youll recoop it back instantly. Aside from that, when you file your taxes... youll get the 360 back and then some, so this is not a fake, a fraud, this is REAL.

Personally, if you were too stupid to market, YOUR business, thats your fault, not Worldventures... dont get mad because you didnt achieve the results you wanted, you just aimed too high and didnt stick to the plan. You needed to reassess your goals and build off the one you reached, not get discouraged because you fell down and didnt wanna get back up.

People who call it a scam a shacm a fake a hoax, you are lazy. Im only 23, but Ive created a hellllllllll of alot more buzz than most people. I talk, I share, I invite... I hustle my business, I dont sit back and let things come to me like some of you have.

Grow up, stop whining and see the bigger picture

Joe Joe

12th of Feb, 2010 by   TwobyTwo 0 Votes
WorldVentures profits off of their admitted 70% failure rate. Their high pressure sales tactics are used to intimidate people into making a rash decision.

Slides such as “Momentum” are displayed and verbal misrepresentations are made regarding the status of the company and the immediate potential earnings…

Other sales tactics such as the slide dipicting “YOU” out to the left and “BOB” in your place in the pyramid therefore, “BOB” is going to get all the profits “YOU” missed out on because you didn’t sign right then and there- is another example of misleading the prospect…

Only handing the recruitee a 2 page contract (and in some cases only 1 of the 2 pages) and verbally telling the recruitees “It’s just a standard contract”. Yet, the 2 page contract contains stipulations that the recruitee agrees to abide by a Detailed Compensation Plan and Policies & Procedures, neither of which were provided to recruitee to read/review, nor were those agreements even verbally disclosed…

Utilizing misleading sales techniques from companies the FTC shut down for deceptive practices, i.e. “MOMENTUM”… (Trek Alliance used the same tactic)
Omitting and deceiving the public of the involvement WV executives truly had with “companies with less than stellar reputations”… i.e. Marc Accetta’s true involvement with Equinox and Trek Alliance

Training new reps to use deceptive tactics when inviting prospects to meetings “Be in a hurry”, “Keep from explaining”…
 12th of Feb, 2010 by   TwobyTwo 0 Votes
WorldVentures Reps - ANNUAL income - $1274 (note, this is income, doesn't take into account the money spent joining and training for WorldVentures).

25th of Feb, 2010 by   Yiannis313 +1 Votes
Most of the people complain that those who are making the money are the ones on top.

Well, there was a point when they were at the bottom.

SO...you either "WASTE" $360 and ruin your life FOREVER,
OOOOOR try to be top of you "PYRAMD"

Is anyone familiar with LR International, AVON, Herbal Life...?

They ALL work in the same way, and i konw a LOT of people who make a VERY GOOD LIVING from these Companies.
 31st of Mar, 2010 by   Her 0 Votes
TOTAL SCAM! A representative talked me into signing up for a FLAT FEE of $199.00!! He signed me up online using my debit card. He never mentioned any other fee or obligations I would have. I said, "let's do it!" HE signed me up - and took my info. Come to find out...months later (WorldVentures was taking $24.99 out of my bank account EVERY SINGLE MONTH)!!! I called them immediately and asked them to cancel me! They couldn't seem to find any information regarding my authorization to use my debit card - but they seemed to have all of my debit information on file! FRAUD! I contacted my bank, and they are doing a thorough investigation. I have also contacted the BBB. You cannot use someone's credit card or debit card without authorization! WorldVentures does that without telling you!! It's a total SCAM!

I have attempted to contact WorldVentures and (what do you know) they don't want to deal with me. They refuse to give me my money back!! Shock!
 6th of Apr, 2010 by   tmtx 0 Votes
Sounds like you need to talk to the rep. How did he get your card info? Did you give it to him to sign up? Then you must have authorized him to use it. Don't blame Worldventures for unscrupulous reps. Every industry has less than honest people. Sorry that one found you. Just close your account and be done with it. You obviously were not fully informed by the independent rep that signed you up. WV has no control over them as they are INDEPENDENT. Go after him vice the company.

Oh, and when a company didn't give me MY MONEY back on a disputed charge based on false info from their rep. I didn't call them a SCAM, just the rep. Its the people, not the business. Shame on you for not getting all the info before signing up as well. I blamed myself and you should ultimately look in the mirror on this one.

Criminal Gypsies Police Explain Scams in Florida