logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
GroutRevive.com
No info about the order and impossible to reach the seller
2. (13 mins ago)
The Honest Company
Continuing to autobill after multiple cancellations
3. (23 mins ago)
Scam!

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Westward Seafoods, Dutch Harbor, Alaska Complaints & Reviews - Terrible experience!

Westward Seafoods Contacts & Informations

Westward Seafoods

Posted:    Valerie

Terrible experience!

Westward Seafoods
Dutch Harbor, Alaska
Phone: 907-581-6161
www.westwardseafoods.com
We were scheduled to fly to dutch harbor on december 28th at 7:00 am, we contacted the travel agency who had our flight schedule to get a earlier flight to anchorage, ak. the travel agency said there are no open flights, you cant change your flight because their are no other flights available. Later that day I was speaking too a flight preservationist, she said their are connecting flights too Dutch harbor leaving Seattle at 8:40 pm on the 28th of December.

Keeping too the point, We arrived at Anchorage airport 12 hours early with a connecting flight too Dutch Harbor, and a signed contract. the following morning on the 29th of december, we were notified that we were no longer welcome at the westward seafoods dutch harbor location, we were fired that day in transit because we left 12 hours early; the final decision laid with a plant manager at westward seafoods dutch harbor location, named Jennifer; who surprisingly has the exact same first name as the travel agency representative, who just by chance 12 hours earlier stated there was no problem with rescheduling the flight upon our arrival in anchorage, ak.

We were offered a return trip to seattle wa the same day, we missed that flight looking for and trying too locate our baggage; westward seafoods voided our return flight too seattle wa. and left us stranded in anchroage,ak. for the past 2 weeks, we are within days of being homeless in anchorage, ak in the middle of winter, with -10 to -20 degrees below zero to deal with.

Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

15th of Jan, 2008 by   Bud Hanson 0 Votes
I have worked on board a fishing vessel owned by westward for all most nine years this past B season was any thing but good . The only fish was five hundred miles from dutch . We were using 10,000 gal. of fuel per trip at $2.80 a gal. On our fish ticket we were paid $.08.3 for our fish. There are two boats at our plaint that are not owned by westward in the end they were paid $.11.7 for there fish and they were paid by the end of November by westward, it is now January 15 my last pay check was for $400.00 October 1. They had me scheduled to go back to work in dutch harbor on January 9 I chose to quit working for such a back stabbing dishonest company and I have filed a complaint with the dept. of labor . Even though the price of pollock is up we do not see any of the profits it all goes back to the greedy japs I would not advise anyone to seek employment with Westward sea foods they totally SUCK
 25th of Oct, 2008 by   Jenny 0 Votes
I've worked with westward seafoods for 6 years, and I can't think of anything worng with the company. What I think happened is they figured out that you just suck as a person, and instead of drowning your stupid ass in the ocean, which they probably really wanted to do because you're such a dick, they stranded you, dicked you around, and said under their breaths "I hope they just stop existing right where they're standing". Oh, well, don't work for them anymore, and I don't think you ever worked for them anyway, liar, liar, liar...
Douche... Jerk... Moron... Hahahahahahahahaha...
Go to a homeless shelter and spread your lies some more. Dickwad... Shyte-for-brains... Wanker... Shmegma...
 25th of Oct, 2008 by   Jenny 0 Votes
Fishing is GAY. That's what men do when their deeks are way too small. Maybe you should get a fish and put it in your pants, to make people think you even have something down there... HAhahahaha...
 10th of Feb, 2009 by   joe johnson 0 Votes
Do NOT work for westward. For the past three weeks we've been here in Dutch Harbor and have worked less than 80 hours total. Everyday they tell us "its going to pick up. Its going to pick up" but still no sign of consitent work. When you try ask them to send you home because you are losing money by staying here not working, they say you have to buy your return ticket. When you tell them you have no way to buy cause you have no money, due to lack of work, they still sya you have to buy your ticket. I am now in debt from working (not working) for Westward seafoods.

Also, this place needs a visit from OSHA. There is no way they are in compliance with the rules. Unless you are philiino DO NOT come here. The only people who are supervisors and leads are Philipino. There is one white Lead and one mexican lead just so they could meet there quota. Westward is Wrong!
 20th of Aug, 2009 by   Mr Eddie 0 Votes
I agree with Joe Johnson, That not just OSHA but also the EPA, needs to take a look at westwards practices. This is not a place to work if you are a United States citizen, Caucation, speaks english, etc, etc. Also there ideal of makeing there crab quota is buy useing under sized, and femal crabs i been a crab butcher for them for two and a half seasions
 22nd of Sep, 2009 by   Voodoo child 0 Votes
Well lets get right to the issue, .all of you expected something different then what you got, and some of you twisted the the tale so to speak.I have worked for westward in the past for 6 years.The work is reliant on fishing and delivery of that fish to there plant.Poor fishing results in lack of work thats why fishing is a gamble, not a sure thing.At best you can expect good fishing and long hours of work with no time off, you will then wine about how tired you are and that you are sick or try to pull some other scam to get out of what you expected would be a trip to summer camp.
People from third world countrys are only to happy to except the work that your fat couch potato ass can not handle, its to easy to get free hand outs, and thats what you are used to.Hard work is a part of there lives and they are not afraid to put some effort into makeing there lives better.I personaly know of professional filipino's who chose to work at Westward during one or the other of there Pollock seasons.They have there own business in the filipines and have university degrees, there houses are mansions and they have maids and cooks.
My guess woud be you dont have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of, just keep waiting for the socialist bus to pick your sorry ass up, then the rest of us hard working responsible people can pay for your bitchen and complaining, in the mean time GET A JOB.

The Baader guy
 24th of Jun, 2010 by   Odin8999 0 Votes
The loyal one is named Jenny- lol Jennifer perhaps? Give me a break. This place is terrible to work, they listen in on their employees conversations, withhold money from paychecks and generaly treat their work force like slaves. Do not work there.
 30th of Jun, 2010 by   Badbadboy 0 Votes
Ravenfishin, hi bud, I'm in Dutch Harbor right now. Tell you what, you name the time and the place, let's get together and talk about your attitude, and the fact that I met yo mama last night, and she and I, well we didn't do much talking, but she did cry out your name when I was doing her, so that was kind of weird.
 14th of Jul, 2010 by   Jaster4444 0 Votes
U guys do realize this complaint is from January 2008... ???... and theoretically it can be valid .. though i doubt its entirely accurate... I myself have been here 9 years... for some people westward is a match and they can follow policy and procedure no problem.. others find it hard to comply or understand.. regaurdless of their nationality or heritage.. did you notice that the telephone for westward is wrong.. its not 6161..the telephone for the office has always been 1660.. also the plant manager isnt Jennifer ..the plant manager is Dave .. Office manager is Jennifer.. and a travel agent has no authority in matters of westward seafoods policy.. nor is any travel agent given a WSI policy book. Theoretical question for you or them... if you went into the mall and asked a mcdonalds empleyee if it was ok to take a pair of shoes(without paying) from the Foot Locker store next door do you honsty think footlocker would let you take the shoes because MCdonalds guy told you it was ok to take them without paying?..or would foot locker call the cops?.. same thing.. Travel agent stated yes SHE could change the flight no problem however the complaintest forgot to inform or ask permission from the people with authority (WSI). thats not westwards fault...if you bend rules for one then you must bend them for all.. so why even have the rule then.. and no im not saying westwards 100% right in everything they do.. no place is. .. i dont think the comment from Jenny is jennifer. doesnt sound like her.. and jennifer has worked here quite a bit longer than 6 yrs..
as for your momma comments.. so immature.. sometimes i wonder about people.. disapointing..
Laterz
 10th of Oct, 2010 by   mmonroew 0 Votes
After listening to all that bullshit from all the whiners, what the hell kind of a work environment does that sound like to someone on the outside, looking for possible job opportunities? Such immaturity--"momma" comments. My God.. And you don't even have to be experienced to know that fishing is always unpredictable--just like the weather. That's just plain COMMON SENSE! Oh, that's right, I didn't really run across much of that here.
 10th of Oct, 2010 by   mmonroew 0 Votes
P.S. Good points, Jaster!
 18th of Oct, 2010 by   von999 0 Votes
haha and ahhh... Westward are taking application in my area and I just apply. I did also check for these stuff and now I am thinking twice if I should go if they hire... I think I should not go...
 18th of Oct, 2010 by   von999 0 Votes
Tortilla. How did you get back to seattle, wa? your expense or from westward?
 15th of Nov, 2010 by   Watchman300 0 Votes
If you're planning on working at Westward, get ready for the longest food lines in your life. Even when you are released for your 30-minute break during a long shift (12 to 18 hours) you must walk up hill and wait in line for a long, long portion of your break. I have often only had six minutes to eat to scarf down my food before running back to clock in. You may elect to skip the line and make a sandwich, but sometimes they close down the sandwich line too. The food is admittedly free, but that is to help compensate for the lower hourly rate paid to employees (as is the free rent). This may sound like "whining" but when somebody is working multiple 18-hour shifts in a row, this is a major pain in the ass.

Also, be prepared to waste a lot of time on their check-the-board system. This means you must get dressed in gear and report to work at a certain time without any promise that you'll be able to work. This can go on through the day and you get paid absolutely nothing for it, yet you may be written up for not showing up (against Alaska labor laws).

This also applies when there is equipment failure. On more than one occasion, workers were required to clock out and remain in the break room, unpaid, while they tried to fix the equipment. Workers were not allowed to leave; workers were NOT being paid for their required attendance (also against Alaska labor laws).
 2nd of Dec, 2010 by   Trawlergirl 0 Votes
Working for Westward. 2009/2010 for a complete year, my eligiblity was scored a 38. I am a women, who worked seafood case up and Surimi lines all throught the plant. I was eligible for rehire, met a man up there inwestward. We were married. To make a long horror store short. Called Jennifer, told her we where coming back to westward, two weeks later my sister husband was dying for cancer and she needed our help, called Jennifer and wrote jennifer an e-mail, well... No longer eligible for work ! Apparently she told the company that I know work for I was lazy and sometiimes a no show.. Come on, Let review, Worked there for a year, no write up. Score of 38. That is okay Jennifer, your day in hell is awaiting your turn. and still jose siliva is still there, having all kinds of sex with his marry ole processor, and the philiphino gang is still all there. You work your ass off cause to get notice, all you do is get a finger in the booty. I am now a QC for a seafood company who appreicates me, I tell them the stories for Westward, they shake there heads. Moral of the story, I had fun, I had good times, but if your not Meixcan or Philipino your wont get no where else in that company. So please dont expect much more then a lousiy check..!!
 5th of Dec, 2010 by   Watchman300 0 Votes
If you had trouble with Jennifer from Human Resources, you should have gone above her head and speak to the head of HR at the Seattle headquarters. Jennifer does not rank highest in the Westward hierarchy, so you can always pick up the phone and keep calling people higher on the company ladder until you feel your grievance has been fairly addressed. This is your right according the the Westward Seafood employee handbook. They are usually pretty good at honoring that right -- usually, I say, but not always.

But I have experienced so many misunderstandings, so many things getting mysteriously lost or forgotten, and even some blatant misrepresentations by Human Resources of Dutch Harbor that I will not even deal with them without having a witness with me or e-mailing my concerns (to establish proof). I also keep Westward's Seattle office number handy at all times just because I never know when I'm going to have to call them. It's a paranoid way to live, but this approach has saved my ass before (and a few others that I know).

Lastly, If you feel you have been lied about in your employee evaluation, or in a write-up, or even verbally, and these lies are really bad, then I'd call the Department of Labor and ask them to guide you in requesting your employee file. By law, Westward needs to give you all information they have collected about you (including evaluations and such) within a few days of your request. If Westward Seafoods has lied about you then they could be guilty of libel or slander and you can take them to court for ruining your reputation. Look on the internet and you'll find plenty of lawyers that will entertain the thought of going after a company like Westward.

Anyways, glad to know everything has worked out for you, Trawlergirl.
 29th of Sep, 2012 by   walkabout53 0 Votes
what is all the bitching about westward, I was one of the first employees of this company back in 1991 and worked there till 2003, just to let you know, I am white, I started processing fish like everybody for 3yrs, then got into the environmental department for my remaining yrs with the company, I worked with Filipino and Mexicans and had no troubles [ like to say hi to the gang if your still there Rey, jj, Darryl and the bosses Ric and Dave. had a good time working there and a good experience. jack k Salem, or
 4th of Dec, 2012 by   Whatdafucc916 0 Votes
All of you niggas that are complaining need to learn how to spell first. Its annoying trying to read ya'll shit but your non-spelling ass is confusing me with all the misspelled words and off-the-subject bullshit. Look basically, people complain because they have no life. People complain because they want attention or just plain and simple-your lazy and no matter what you go through in life you will always complain no matter what. Life is short so stop bitching and start living. Enjoy life no matter what you go through. Some of these guys on here complaining sound like females and shit. Be a man. Man up and shut the f*** up...Damn!!! So much negativity that some of you grown folks sound like little kids. Its pathetic, seriously! And the momma jokes is so played out now. Some people really need to grow up. Just in case some of you didn't notice the spell check button at the bottom, please use it before hitting send...i'm just saying.
 10th of Dec, 2012 by   ivo819 0 Votes
any advise on what to bring with me to dutch harbor since is my first time up there, im going for season A in january clothing and essential things wise. thank you in advance
 31st of Jan, 2013 by   dan ny 0 Votes
I am still working in westward dutch harbor, ak. I say food and lodging are fine, work might be little harder than other company. If you are looking for work for a season, it will be ok but if you are looking for long term work, you better know tagalog. This is the place with philliphino gang and you will not move up unless you know tagalog. There are many spanish also but they dont seem to have any strength. In here some of them from africa, somalia and ethiophia. I had a hard time to fit in this place, now it's ok to work but i am not planning to stay too long. All the good job are locked by philliphino, i dont think it's fair but just too many of them in here. I am not saying that they are not nice, most of them are friendly some even attactive :) googd luck if you come to dutch harbor, ak thank you

How to Save Even if Missed Cash for Appliance Clunkers