logo

OSIM
Useless Product
4. (37 mins ago)
bingo hall.com
did not authorize this site
5. (1 hr 4 mins ago)

Posted:    daniel f

faulty hinges

werner ladders
Potomac Falls, Virginia
The hinges on my 4 year old model 2210 just sheared off over the weekend - I fell hurt my elbow. See pictures below. Filed complaint with CSPC - no other complaints have been filed to date yet clearly this is not an isolated occurrence. Contacting Werner for a replacement ladder - don’t have any confidence that the replacement hinges will suffice.

Werner Ladder

Comments United States Home & Garden
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

6th of Jan, 2010 by   tvb 0 Votes
WARNING: There have been numerous reported incidences of the hinges on this model breaking, with little use, resulting in serious injury to the user. Just do a google search with the search words: Werner s2210 broke.

If you've had problems with this model, please call the consumer protection hot line at 1-800-638-2772 and report these problems so there may be a recall.
 14th of Feb, 2010 by   jaybeesmith +1 Votes
Same issue with my S2210. I'll report it, although, I don't have a warm fuzzy anything will be done.
 4th of Apr, 2010 by   BruceBap 0 Votes
I have had the same issue with mine--the hinges on my S2210 are made of a CAST POT METAL which everyone knows is about the most brittle material made--they would probably be better if they were made of plexiglass (sarcasm). What is more frustrating to me is attempting to find replacement hinges--the rivits could be easily drilled out and replaced if there was a replacement part available, but if you go to their website and try to find any information on that model, they act like there is no such thing. It has been a nice ladder, and the expense of replacing it is just not acceptable considering the initial cost in the first place---I suppose maybe I'll mill out my own replacements, and then I can be sure that at least that part of the assembly is not made of INFERIOR Material. I would just hope that Werner would address the issue and make it right--people pay through the nose for attic ladders, and they pay even more for the confidence that Werner's name used to uphold and instill. I have to wonder if those days are gone!
Another Disenchanted Soon To Be Ex-Werner Customer
 16th of Jul, 2010 by   Bigg Al +1 Votes
I have had my Werner s2210 ladder approx 6 yrs. A few days ago the right lower hinge broke as I was decending. I hate to think what would have happened if I was carrying something and wasn't gripping the Step, or if the left hinge gave out at the same time.
The hinge is made of cast white metal, possibly the worst choice for this application. Any casting can have inclusions not visible to the naked eye. Along with the brittle white metal it was an serious accident waiting to happen.
I am reporting this to the Consumers Protection Agency. I will also contact Werner to see what they intend to do about this. The ladders should have been recalled. It's not enough to boycott Werner. They need to make this right. BigAl
 11th of Aug, 2010 by   chicago17777 0 Votes
I have the 22 ladder and was dismayed to see the j hooks made of cheap material. We used to love this ladder now we refuse to use it. Werner sent new parts (wrong one first they sent a hinge pin). Just finished replacing the adjustment and am disappointed again. The replacement part is poor.

Carefully drill out the rivets (except they are behind the groove.)
Pound out the rivets.
Pull the hook out.
Replace with new part. (doesn't quite fit perfectly.)
Put screws/bolts in then when you work them in place split washer and crown nut on.
Except the nut is a cheap piece and the crown comes off.
The nut strips the bolt when tightened.

What to do.

this is our work ladder and would gladly pay for a better ladder.
Any suggestions? Little giant (I think they may be the same since the werner people seem to want to sell me one)
 21st of Dec, 2010 by   linda1125 0 Votes
my latter just broke on the left side lower hing, i fell but not far and my knee is hurting, i didnt break it. but my model is the 2208 mk2. i guess all there latters are messed up. what to do now???
 18th of Feb, 2011 by   James Minkley 0 Votes
I have a 2508 attic ladder and a hinge broke at the pivot point rivit, replaced with a bolt. Now the lower rivits are all failing. I called Werner - got the number from Consumer protection agency website by searching past recalls with Werner (first one regarding a 1997 model). They sent out a new pair of replacement hinges- free. They said it was important NOT to use an oil based lubricant on the hinges, instead use Teflon or Silicone based. It is also important that the frame is installed square.
 20th of Feb, 2011 by   pandf2011 0 Votes
I have a client whose Werner ladder also broke at the hinges. Does anyone have any idea of how many similar incidents have occurred? Or whether Werner has done anything to rectify the problem?

Thanks,
pandf2011@gmail.com
 26th of May, 2011 by   jcobmusic 0 Votes
My attic ladder of 4 years (werner) the hinge bolt sheared. I rarely use the ladder ... only to go to the attic about 3 or 4 times a year... bad design. See pictures. I've contacted the company but no response as of today.
 12th of Jun, 2011 by   tvb 0 Votes
Sorry about your ladder accidents. PLEASE call the consumer protection hot line at 1-800-638-2772 and report this problems so there may be a recall. Many others have had the same problem and it is just a matter of time before someone is seriously injured if flawed ladders are not taken off of the market. The only way for that to happen is for people like you to report the problem. I know it is a bit of a hassle, but please do so for the safety of others. Thank you in
advance.
 24th of Oct, 2011 by   Yolanda Mowad 0 Votes
The hinge on my Werner ladder model S2208 sheared off - almost fell to the concrete garage floor! Held on and yelled for someone to bring me a step ladder so I could get down. I can't believe this happened - I paid a lot of money for this ladder that my contractor said was the best. I WILL be contacting the company for a replacement.
 24th of Oct, 2011 by   Yolanda Mowad -1 Votes
Just to let you know that I contacted Werner customer service regarding the faulty hinge on my attic ladder and they are sending out a new attic ladder at no cost with free shipping. Apparently this ladder came from a company that Werner had purchased and no longer make it to faulty hinges. Please call 1 888 523 3370 and speak to a customer service representative. They were very nice and hopefully in a couple of weeks I will have a new attic ladder.
 3rd of May, 2012 by   no1tmorrow 0 Votes
I just fell off my s2210 when the bottom hinge broke. I sent Werner a request this morning for a resolution and will see what they say. Nice web site...
 5th of Jun, 2012 by   Disenchanted in SD 0 Votes
Just had my S2210 break on me as I was descending from the attic as well. It is less than 8 years old. Installed in the new house when we moved in. I am actually waiting on the phone line with Werner and am curious to hear what they have to say and do for me. I will update once I have more information. See attached photo of the right lower hinge. I will also add to the fact that I am only a little over 200lbs, so over 300 lb rating (with items) is not the issue.
 5th of Jun, 2012 by   Disenchanted in SD 0 Votes
Well, just got off the phone with Werner and the copany that they bought these ladders from (they say) has gone out of business and they do not offer replacement parts even for this ladder. They have offered me a $100 gift card to the purchase of another attic ladder. FYI

17th of Dec, 2012 by   Gary Wake 0 Votes
This weekend I was getting Christmas decorations out of the attic and stepped down on the 2210 attic ladder only to have the hing break exactly as the picture at the top of the page denotes. Fortunately I was able to drop the boxes and catch myself on the ceiling joists. This ladders is about 5 yrs old but we have only used it maybe 15 - 20 times.
 22nd of Dec, 2012 by   Jim in MI 0 Votes
Hinge at the top of the lower section of my s2210 broke completely while descending the ladder two years ago. After exchanging a few emails with Werner they sent a replacement section with hinges made of different material. Today the hinge at the top of the middle section, where the hinge lock release is located, broke internally while ascending the ladder. Same cheap pot metal used on the hinge that broke originally. The only thing holding the two sections together is the step swivel arm and the pin inside the lock release. Now I see that Werner doesn't have a customer support email address. Go figure...
 24th of Dec, 2012 by   sherrys4 0 Votes
These ladders are dangerous, my wife less than 140lbs and an arm full of Christmas decorations took a nasty fall when the cheap pot metal hinge broke on our 4 year old s2210 Werner attic ladder. Ron in CA
 4th of Jan, 2013 by   BOP in NC 0 Votes
I was putting away christmas decorations when one of the hinges broke. Luckily I was on my way down empty handed and was able to hang on. I bought mine back in 2006 but have only used it a few times per year. I weigh in the 160's and have never carried more than 50 to 60 pounds up or down at a time. I came across this as well as alot of other complaints and lawsuits while trying to find parts to repair this P.O.S.
 23rd of May, 2013 by   JR Wilson Sr. 0 Votes
My aluminum Werner pull down failed today. I was going up into the attic to get my Scott's spreader. I was about 2/3rds of the way to the ten foot ceiling when one of the hinge pins sheared causing the ladder to twist 180 degrees in a split second, and launching me horizontally into the air and ultimately to the floor below. The disc which is the flared end of the pin sheared clean. My three year old Granddaughter was standing in the garage and she had just asked if she could go up the ladder with me one time to see the attic. Thank God I told her that I'd get the spreader down first and then we'd go have a look.

No serious injuries, but I'm going to be one sore guy for a week or so. I don't think my Granddaughter has any interest in the attic after today's aerial display. Not sure where to go from here.

ATM Scam