Werner Enterprises

Posted:

Just a bad company

Werner Enterprises
I got hired on as a driver and because I had previous experience I only had to do 70 driving hours with a trainer instead of the normal 300. My trainer was a really nice guy, he taught me how to back better than I already knew how, he taught me tips to reading a map I did not know about, and was an all around good guy. I got the 400 a week just like they said I would.

Then I got my own truck and was told I was on the south regional account. This would mean I would run TX, LA, AR, OK, NM and CO. The very first phone call I had with my dispatcher he told me I would be on the South regional pay account (the longer the trip the less per mile u would make) but due to lack of freight I would be running all 48. Running the whole country meant I would have mostly longer runs. I only made 24 cents a mile on 99 percent of my runs. I would run for 12 days and be home for 48 hours. 48 hours is technically two days but think about it, that means I get home at noon on Friday and leave at noon on Sunday at any other job that means I got Saturday off, but for werner and any other otr truck company that was two days. With that schedule after taxes I would make about 300 dollars a week and end up spending about 100 for food every week.

On my way from Dallas TX to Conway AR I got my tractor stuck in the mud, and my trailer was blocking the road for about 45 mins before I got towed out which took about 3 mins once he got there. Because my trailer blocked the road a police officer gave me a ticket that was called careless and prohibited driving. When I came back from my next home time I tried to get out of the terminal to pick up my first load and they told me I had to go back in and see saftey before I left. They then told me I was fired because of my ticket (I was told one ticket was not enough to get you fired by my trainer and by the person who lead orientation and by my recruiter) I asked why. They said because the ticket was called careless driving. I said so you think its like wreckless driving? They told me it was just like wreckless driving. I called the courthouse and put them on speakerphone this is how the conversation went. ME: Hi I got a ticket down there a couple weeks ago its called careless and prohibited driving is that anything like wreckless driving? COURT LADY: Oh no, wreckless driving is a misdamenor, careless and prohibited is just a traffic ticket, they usually give those if they see someone squeal there tires taking off from a red light or something like that. ME: thank you very much maam. (hang up) The saftey manager then tells me that it doesnt matter it still sounds too close to wreckless driving and Im still fired. All this before I was ever even convicted of the ticket. Being fired was the best thing that could ever happen to me. I got a local truck driving job and am making over twice as much money and Im home every day.

So in conclusion. Werner Sucks
Complaint comments Comments (2) Complaint country United States Complaint category Job & Career

Comments

14th of Nov, 2013 by    0 Votes
A former driver for Werner Enterprises has retained my law firm (Law Offices of James M. Sitkin) and the Oakland, CA law firm of Goldstein, Borgen, Dardarian & Ho to investigate whether Werner has paid drivers all lawful wages required by the California Labor Code. Our investigation is evaluating information about pay practices for work performed by Werner drivers in California during the last four years (whether the driver was a resident of California or not). As part of our investigation, we would like to talk with current and former Werner drivers about their work experiences at Werner in California. This is not an offer to represent you or other Werner drivers. However, our investigation of potential class action claims could benefit from any information Werner drivers may provide to us as part of this ongoing investigation. Please phone or email me if you would like to talk. I look forward to hearing from you.

Jim Sitkin
Law Offices of James M. Sitkin
255 California Street, 10th floor
San Francisco, CA 94111
(415) 318-1048 (tel.)
jsitkin@sitkinlegal.com
 12th of Feb, 2016 by    0 Votes
Dear Jim,

Here is an edited copy of a letter written to LV-AIT/Werner truck driving school, today.

Both of you know my husband knows how-to safely drive trucks! He is/was an exemplary AIT student. He is a very alert 71 year old man with a lust for adventure that just won't quit! He does many things much better than most men who are 20+ years younger than he. And, two years ago, he retired from surgical practice after 40 years without one single malpractice complaint. and virtually no reported post-op infections.

My husband showed up at 6:00 am. to the Werner Terminal in San Bernardino as he was told to do on Thursday, February 4, 2016. He was scheduled to take a refresher course. After he waited patiently for 6 hours, he was fired at noon for no apparent reason by Werner Enterprises, Inc. according to a male office staffer at the terminal who, announced in front of 15+/- drivers sitting in the San Bernardino terminal lounge that corporate offices in Omaha, Nebraska fired him--- he was humiliated, handed a one (1) way bus ticket home with no pay but, to his remarkable credit he kept his cool.

I have reviewed all of our records to date including all of our American Institute of Trucking/AIT paperwork and Werner Enterprises, Inc. “Werner” paperwork, alike. In doing so, I have found a multiplicity of issues which are in direct conflict with my husband's Werner employment. I have solid evidence that Werner grossly under-paid him. Fortunately, Title 29 CFR (et. al. etc.) is not mentioned anywhere in any of the paperwork he did sign.

Unfortunately, there are going to be many convoluted and extremely unhappy issues regarding the terms of my husband's Werner employment-payroll for us to resolve. First, let me call to your attention the stack of documents I photo copied for you which my husband gave you when he came in for a voluntary refresher course this week. You told me on the phone you’ve never heard of these documents; so, In case you haven’t had time to review them, I strongly urge you to do-so as soon as possible.

Perhaps you might begin by reviewing the document (front and back) starting on front page, entitled in bold black lettering: STANDARDS OF APPRENTICESHIP DEVELOPED BY WERNER ENTERPRISES, INC. For The Occupation Of Truck Driver, Heavy O*NET/SOC CODE: 53-3032.00 RAPIDS CODE:0980HY APPROVED BY U.S. Department of Labor Office Of Apprenticeship, followed by the Seal of the Department of Labor, United States of America.

This document indicates, once again in bold black lettering: it was Registered as part of the National Apprenticeship Program in accordance With the basic Standards of Apprenticeship established by the Secretary of Labor.

Moreover, the Original Registration of this document, again in bold black lettering was dated April 13, 2006. It was apparently Revised at some undeclared time after April 13, 2006--it does not say when---but, it does state the National Registration Number of this document on April 13, 2006 was: NE00206002 So, it was apparently registered in the State Of Nebraska on April 13, 2006. Thereafter, following the Nebraska registration number (NE00206002) again, in bold black letters are three (3) words: Submitted by: Revised Date: and Approved by: And, finally each of these words are followed by blank lines devoid of two (2) signatures and devoid of one (1) Revised Date.

Now, if you will, feel free to flip through all Pages of this document, : Header Entitled: Standards of Apprenticeship, Pages i, ii, iii, iv: Table of Contents, Forward and Definitions and two (2) un-numbered photo copies: one (1) handwritten note and one (1) envelop in which I received all pages (allegedly) from North Carolina.

I suggest you develop a very clear and concise understanding of the context of this document and the possible ramifications of non-compliance in terms of how these may affect the accreditation of your school- AIT and Werner (3rd party non-affiliate/s?)

Because you didn’t give us any copy of this document, revised or otherwise, late last week was the 1st time we’ve ever seen it---let alone even heard of Title 29 CFR (et. al. etc.) Because you didn’t give us any copy of this document revised or otherwise, we didn’t sign it. Now that we’ve seen it for what it-is, we wouldn’t sign it under any circumstances. Thus, without my husband's signature, so far as we are concerned this document isn’t worth the paper it’s written on!

Sincerely,

Cc: Deborah Cremeens-Risinger, State Director
Registered Apprenticeship Omaha, Nebraska
222 South 15th Street Suite 504C
Central Park Plaza South Tower
Omaha, Nebraska 68102-1608
402.221.3281

Please note: Ms.Cremeens-Risinger with the Regional Director of Registered Apprenticeships in Chicago.

Werner Logo Werner