logo

Cyberbullying Company

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

US-Yellow Pages, Colorado Complaints & Reviews - US yellow pages sending me bills for advertisement I was scamed into

US-Yellow Pages Contacts & Informations

US-Yellow Pages

Posted:    Gerry

US yellow pages sending me bills for advertisement I was scamed into

Advance Benefits
Colorado
I got a new 800 number for my business. I received a "Listing Order Form" to review my company information. I updated my information, signed the form thinking this was the customary FREE service I received previously with my other business number. Today I received a bill from US-Yellow National Yellow Pages for $225.00 with a xerox copy of the form I updated and signed for a free listing. After doing some internet searches, I discovered there were many complaints of this scam from others in regards to this company in Jersey City, New Jersey. Since I was tricked into thinking this was for the legitimate yellow pages and I signed a document for what I thought was the FREE listing, am I obligated to pay this invoice? From the other complaints I have read about this company, many have refused to pay and received threatening phone calls from this company as well as collection agencies. Can this company put a negative mark on my credit?
Comments United States Unauthorized Charges
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More US-Yellow Pages complaints
US-Yellow Pages - Scam

Comments

3rd of Apr, 2009 by   NLN 0 Votes
April 2009, This is the exact situation that has happened with me and my small Colorado business. It is quite an intimidation tactic for them to mail back our signatures back to us! I just called their listed 800 # at 866-599-7204 and got an absolutely pleasant woman to quickly cancel the ad, to zero out any account that I may have had with them and she offered to leave a complimentary online listing for my company. I simply began the conversation with the fact that there had been some mistake, that the with the form I returned, I was only trying to correct the phone number that they had listed for my company and that they said they were already publishing---that I was not ordering an online OR print ad with their company. She finished the call with a confirmation number, so I will keep you posted if there is an residual trouble with this.

I read so many stories of these Yellow Pages scams online last night---all the expense and harassing that people have been subjected to. I am much relieved that things seem to be all cleared up now.

All the best to you,
NLN

ps Because there are so many of these scams, here is the company information of the company I dealt with. Just so you know: US-Yellow, National Yellow Pages, USY PO BOX 3110, Jersey City, NJ 07303-3110
 17th of Jul, 2009 by   KLS 0 Votes
I am so thankful I found this posting! My company experienced the same thing - I thought it was an error on my part! I just called the same customer service line as above and the lady gladly cancelled out my account. What a devious, horrible sales tactic. I am just happy they were more than willing to cancel the subscription. Just hope the confirmation number is legit! :)

Best of luck to all of you out there experiencing the same thing!

- KLS
Michigan
 2nd of Oct, 2009 by   SPG Consultants 0 Votes
These Telemarketing companies are getting your company's profile from online, they are compiled by lead brokers also known as the "Chum of the Scum". These lead brokers sit on the internet and gather business profiles then turn around and sell them to many different telemarketing offices for an exaggerated price.

Your contact us page on your website should have the bare minimum on how to contact you. A full contact name is opening the door to how these telemarketing companies are getting in touch with you and your money.

Example of a bad contact listing on a website:

D&R Towing
1234 Cherry Land Drive
Spring Dale, Florida 98698
e-mail : dandrtowing@hotmail.com
Business: 304-555-5555 Fax: 304 555 5554 cell: 304 555 5556
Contact: Dennis Flick

As you can see, for a website to have this information posted, your website has now arranged for your business to be receiving these types of collection calls. Keep it simple by following these simple instructions:

- Make up a phony name as a contact on your website . This is to see where the call are coming from.
- Try to set up your contact us page so that the client has to leave their information with you . Example: your company's main email address, not your personal one.If you do not have one, create one just for this reason. There are many choices of email carriers available. Ex: Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo etc.

This is one of many pointers SPG Consultants can help you with when dealing with collection harassment.

While the government is bailing out the Automotive Industry and while the banks are fighting to get more money from the Federal Government, we as simple business owners, are left to fight our own battles.

We know that Chrysler needs 3.5 billion dollars to keep the V8 Dodge Charger on the road, and we all know that in the last 5 years the banks haven't made a big enough profit to stay afloat. So while the government and Wall Street debate about their hand outs, business owners have to protect themselves by themselves. To my understanding, there are over 1 million telemarketers across Canada and the US all paying taxes for the money they steal from you. Guess who's making a profit from this money? Yes, you guessed right! The federal government. Corruption is greasing the pockets of the same people we've elected to protect us and to keep the Bernie Madoff's and Earl Jones away from our bottom lines.

I urge you to visit my website and learn more about telemarketing fraud and how to protect yourself...KNOW YOUR RIGHTS and stand up to fight against this injustice.

Sincerely
Spg Consultants
www.spgconsultants.webs.com
 20th of Oct, 2009 by   Joe Trevison 0 Votes
I got letter from I never order or replied. They send me a biil for $1060.00. I just ripped it up.
 24th of Dec, 2009 by   test123 +1 Votes
Response by NLN above worked for me too, though I had to call twice to get it done. The first operator told me to look at the online copy of the invoice so that I could see that, yes indeed, in the fine print, it mentions $195 quarter charge, and that he could only stop future charges. I called back a few days later and got a different operator- when I mentioned it was a big mistake, he easily zeroed out the account and gave me a confirmation number of the account closing.

In further research in the meantime, I had discovered this:

It is the Florida AG press release from May 2009 where they pursued US-Yellow Pages to a settlement, where the company acknowledge their devious tactics and had to revise their solicitation, as well as "continue its present refund and cancellation policies". Feel free to mention this AG press release if the operator gives you a hard time (although your request will work better if you were 'signed up' prior to May 2009 I think).
 28th of Jan, 2010 by   rexs +1 Votes
How are you doing? I am sorry that you are not happy with yellow pages. I was looking online and found a website that your business can have a FREE ebillboard. Just go to seekshallfind.com. I was talking to my friend Mike and he has a ebillboard and he is happy with his ebillboard.
 13th of Apr, 2010 by   AHPC 0 Votes
The same thing happened to me. I foolishly thought it was a free listing, because I wanted something simple. I was billed for a 1/2 page ad. I am so grateful for this post. I was nervous about calling to cancel, for fear there would be someone trying to talk me into something I didn't want. The woman who answered was perfectly pleasant and took care of it right away stating she zeroed out my balance. Phew, that was easy. Hope that's the last I hear from them.
 20th of Apr, 2010 by   mendtool2020 +1 Votes
I have been receiving several phone calls a day from this company asking to update my information. For three weeks I have been receiving three or more calls per day, which is 45 calls received from them, and every time I said I was not interested, please stop calling. Finally, yesterday I had asked for their legal department because I am tired of these calls. I think it is time that the consumer puts their foot down a file a class action law suite to settle this once and for all. How can any company remain in business that scam the customers and get away with it?
 6th of Aug, 2010 by   McHenry Detective Agenmcy +1 Votes
I have received, for years bills from US-Yellow Yellow Pages with an address of PO Box 41308 Jacksonville, FL 32201-1308. I have never subscribed with this company. Never paid any of the bills and have written the Postal authorities twice regarding this scam. Never a reply, just keep getting the bills, have one now for $975.00. Isn't America great! Just bill people for services and the authorities in this country do nothing!

McHenry Detective Agency
Anchorage, AK
 16th of Aug, 2010 by   sam1432 0 Votes
Hey This is Pandey . I am From Asia the yellow pages call u r getting from Asia in Mumbai So Do Not Answer any question whatever they ask you and never use word "Yes" on any marketing calls if you will not use word "Yes" they cant bill you they will force you to say "Yes" And The money part they are telling very fast so better you dont answer any call just hang up the call on their face.. The company who is running this Yellow Pages Scam the company detail is
company Web Add is www.globale-services.com
company address is --------Ashok House, Chakravarti Ashok Road, Kandivali (E), Mumbai 400 101, INDIA
Ph: +91-022- 28460630 Email: hr@globale-services.com from this company you are getting scam calls of yellow pages just soo this company forward this information to all the Americans so they can save their money Thank You For Reading Have a Nice Day
 4th of Sep, 2010 by   Jerks Beware +1 Votes
HERE'S HOW YOU HANDLE THESE JERKS:

One: Train all employees who answer your phone to never confirm anything with anyone. I have all these calls transferred to me. I tell my staff to only have conversations with actual customers.

Two: I take the scam calls out on a phone in the garage where I have an air horn can. After confirming that it is indeed one of these little jerks on the other line, i give 'em a blast from the air can right in the speaker. Talk about reaching out and touching someone! That really gives them something to think about and make me feel great!!!
 11th of Oct, 2010 by   ADuncan +1 Votes
Hello all,
I am an interior designer and I too recieved this bogus invoice from US-Yellow ( Yellow Pages) for a bill totaling $ 788.00 . I am turning them into the Orange County Police Dept. for Fraud investigation in California. I am also sending them a letter notifying them of this. Please do the same. I have tried to contact this company and when placed on hold it conviently hangs up. The company address is: USY PO. Box 3110, Jersey City, NJ 07303-3110. Please send any information to your local police dept. and put an end to this unscrupulous company.
 18th of Nov, 2010 by   Kase 0 Votes
Our business receives a "listing order form" from US-YELLOW Yellow Pages yearly (maybe more often). It states, "This is not a bill" in the upper right-hand corner and has a place for a signature on the lower portion, which is to be returned in the enclosed envelope, addressed to their Mail Processing Center at PO Box 41069 in Jacksonville, FL. The outer envelope says "Important Document Enclosed" so it appears to be an invoice. People from YP call repeatedly throughout the year, wanting to confirm our business information for a free listing or to update our supposed "current listing." One year, they sent us a bill, but the employee who spoke with the solicitor said he didn't order or approve anything. I started telling them when they call, "we're not interested; goodbye" and then hanging up immediately.
 20th of Nov, 2010 by   Nickfitness 0 Votes
This complaint is completely valid. US Yellow Pages is clearly attempting to scam people into signing up for their expensive listing program that appears to be free. We opened a business in Southern California in January of 2010 and received mail from "US Yellow Pages". At the top right of the form it said, in bold letters, "THIS IS NOT A BILL". There was a perforated attachment at the bottom of the form that instructed us to fill out our listing information "AT NO ADDITIONAL COST". On the perforated attachment, there was not a single dollar sign or price listing for *anything*.

We opened our fitness center in January... and being a gym, we are extremely busy at that time of year. Rifling through mail/junk mail, as a new business, it is pretty easy to mistake this form as a free listing for a new business... and that is precisely what happened to me. I broke off the perforated attachment, filled out our address, mailed it back to them, and then a few months later a bill for hundreds of dollars showed up in the mail. Furious... I notified my accountant that I had been duped and hoped that she would be able to handle these people. We had a similiar situation with a scamming fire inspection company.

My accountant was then e-mailed a photocopy of the perforated attachment I had signed with nothing mentioning payments... by this time the US Yellow Pages was claiming that we owed somewhere around $600-$700. Researching further, we discovered that the original form [not the perforated section] they had mailed us has fine print on it that basically requires a magnifiying glass to decipher the ridiculous pricing for a marketing format that is completely dated. No one uses phone books anymore. Who in the world would pay that amount of cash for a yellow pages listing!? I do not know. That would be like trying to start a payphone business right now or something.

The good news here is that the company will (and may even be required to) waive everything, if requested. Call their customer service line, let them know you were scammed and did not have a microscope on had with legal counsel standing by when you filled out the seemingly harmless perforated attachment that mentions nothing about pricing. They will zero out your past due balance and give you a confirmation number regarding cancelling your "subscription".

REXS earlier link was very helpful about the Florida Attorney General's desicion regarding this type of thing. I'm amazed that these people are a legal business, they should not be able to operate in this fashion. What scammers.
 9th of Dec, 2010 by   Receptionist1 0 Votes
This similar thing JUST happened to me yesterday! Except instead of sending me something where I signed it, they played back for me a recording of the last 3 minutes of a phone call with one of their telemarketers where in I "agreed" to the service. But what they didn't record was the previous 25 minute conversation where I kept telling the telemarketer I didn't want to sign up for anything I was going to be billed for, which he assured me I wasn't. He said that to be billed I had to activate my account, and I'd receive a letter telling me how to do so, and only then, after activation, would my company be billed. I got the letter telling me how to activate the account: it was dated November 24th, and stated that we were going to be billed for our account and the services it provides on December 2nd and to call and cancel if we did not want to be billed. I got this letter DECEMBER 8TH!!

Why I spent so much time on the phone with the telemarketer in the first place is a mystery to me. But I think I did because they mascarade as a legitimate company, and as simply a receptionist at my business, I didn't want to mess up relationships with established vedors. So when they told me we already had a listing with them, and they were just calling to update our "complimentary profile" I agreed.

After complaining, the very rude billing woman asked if I would like to hear the recording in where I agreed to be billed for the service. In the recording, you can hear that I agree that my job title is "Administrator." My job title is not administrator, and this is just more proof that they didn't bother to record the previous 25 minute conversation, because I had previously protested multiple times that I was not an administrator. I told her this, and that also if they had recorded the rest of the conversation, not just the last three minute confirmation of the information and agreement, they would have heard me protest to getting billed multiple times and his assurance that I would not be billed. Her reply? "Well, we didn't record that part of the conversation, so according to me, that conversation doesn't exist. It never happened." I was infuriated. All the more proof this is not a legitimate company. I finally got her to approve a refund of the billing, and she said it would be credited back to us. Finally. I just need to call and confirm that for sure!!
 1st of Mar, 2011 by   Interior Designer 0 Votes
To all parties concerned, I called the number listed by this company US-Yellow and informed them that if our company was not removed I would be turning them into the fraud department for investigation. The bill they attempted to charge us was $ 1, 182.00. This company used the same emblem as the local yellow pages to deceive individual companies into believing they are the local yellow pages. Here is the number I called to have them cancel. I received a confirmation number after letting them know I have researched their companies fraudulent behavior and have documented several complaints on line. Only time will tell if this has been corrected. Best of luck to you all. Here is the link to the US department of Fraud Investigation: https://tips.fbi.gov/
US-Yellow- AKA
Global Directories, Inc.
PO Box 41308
Jacksonville, FL 32203
Phone: 1 (800) 392-6103
Fax: 1 (800) 390-0150
 22nd of Mar, 2011 by   Doris day 0 Votes
To all whom it concerns I was contacted on 2/4/2011 by a man who said he was calling to renew my ad with US Yellow Pages . He proceeded to say that my 2010 account was due in the amount of $750.00 and he wanted to know how i Wished to pay for it. We got into a back in forth disagreement of which i had kow idea who aor what he was talking about he had become demanding and rude and stated i going to let you talkto someone else this time it was a young lady who asked a line of yes and no questions in when i began to ask her question he said she could not answer any of my questions so the man got back on the phone and said i told you not to ask her anything when she's finished i give you a number to call to ask your questiond. In the mean time i will cancel your account. A few day later i recieves a form in the mail for US Yellow Pages for renewal information of which I have not interest., Next a collector from a company called National Credit Recovery is hounding and threating legal action and to damage my credit if I don't pay and to my unknowly the caller recorded the convercation with the lady on the phone and say this is a phone authorizing them to open this account. I am in the process of file complaints with every agency i can to expose this scam . If anyone can be of assistance port a reply.
 19th of Jul, 2011 by   mint0x 0 Votes
They will either send you a letter and try to get you to sign it, or they will call you (and record you) and try to get you to say "yes" to their offer.
If you get a letter don't sign it, just rip it up. If they call you, tell them you are aware that this is a "scam" and you are not interested and hang up.
They may send you a fake bill but if you did not agree to or sign anything you are fine. The burden of proof is on them to show that you requested their "service".
 31st of Aug, 2011 by   Omargmrz 0 Votes
yellow pages soxs i use to had only for 1 year and i never authoize to renew automatic and the charge me 2 times a year $ 295 my boss she is upset with me cause the charge to much..and call them and try the cancel it and the say the never had a order to cancell it i try 2 more time and the dont want cancel ..don use anymore the internet is free and yellow pages is past to history...mi name is omar ...
 11th of Oct, 2011 by   cozmo 0 Votes
Ok so I have been getting these bills for over a year and a half now now showing balance of $1182.00 and I just called telling them they need to stop sending me bills. They say they have a card that my wife signed which she may have and if she did it was not signed thinking this was anything other than the normal Yellow Pages free ad. The lady was very nice and canceled my account and took account balance to zero.

Advice From 1998 - Bottled Water