logo

MaSon
Dating
2. (0 mins ago)
ArcTrading
Don’t invest and deal with these criminals
3. (14 mins ago)

FRAUD

Unum
Po Box 180136
Phone: 1-800-451-8464
I am disabled and have been since 2005, I had purchased Unum's disability insurance through my job at that time. After months of fighting with this company they agreed to pay short term disability and when the 6 months passed they said that since my injury was covered by workers comp, I was forced to pay it back. <br />
I was told that I may be eligible for long term insurance and needed to submit all info from my doctors to be evaluated(preexisting is not covered) After months of back and forth, repeated claiming that my doctors are not sending the needed info ( I had called and they stated it had been sent) they finally came to the conclusion that my injuries were pre-existing and no coverage would be offered. I told them at the time that my Cervical injuries were not, but they stated that it didn't matter I was not covered.I asked for a relook at this situation. Three years have now gone by and I have repaid a large part of the money they had paid, when I realized I have never heard back from my inquirery I had requested for a recheck on the cervical injuries. When I called I was sent a 4 inch file with all the calls documented and a letter they claim to have sent listing I had 180 day to submit an appeal. I NEVER GOT THIS LETTER!!! But to make it worse I found in their documentation that THEIR MEDICAL SPECIALIST had determined that my CERVICAL injury was NoT pre-existing. I called the company and they are sticking to this story of the 180 day limit listed in the letter I NEVER RECIEVED! They claim I must have recieved it as they have since they never got it back.<br />
I called my Congressman and asked for intervention and they wrote a very nice letter asking for reconsideration on December 5th. I called today December 22nd and spoke with the same person who argued about the return letter, Richard Joseph, who stated they had never gotten a letter from the congressman. When I reminded him of his return letter claim and they had not recieved anything back, he suddenly GOT AN E_MAIL at that VERY MOMENT that a letter was coming to his desk from a Congressman!!! Comon what kind of a scam is this company pulling!!! He also stated that even though the congressman sent the letter to Mr Thomas Watjen the CEO of the company that he would intercept it and would not change the ruling!!! <br />
I am writing this in hopes that Number 1 I get a change in the ruling and my money will be repaid and Number 2 protect anyone else from getting scammed by this company! I have since done extensive research on the internet to find that this company has been known to pull these tricks regularily and they have been sued many times for it's deceptive practices.

Comments United States Business & Finances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

29th of Mar, 2010 by   windomeagle 0 Votes
 2nd of Apr, 2010 by   JasmoneR 0 Votes
It is ridiculous that you need to pay back the money they give you. If anything, it is their mistake therefore you should keep it.
 8th of Jul, 2011 by   hurtingmorewaysthanone 0 Votes
I too have been denied . Same as yours only I even got denied for short term disability. What makes things worse? In their file the medical professionals agreed that I was indeed disabled by their guidelines... I was still denied... This insurance is a SCAM. They need to be boycotted. EVERYONE should not participate in just giving money to these people. Why should we just pay their mortgage. I cant pay mine now.
 10th of Sep, 2011 by   bring UNUM down +1 Votes
I agree with all of you. Especially the boycott statement. We have to take action! I started a petition ..please go to the website ' bringthemalldownnow.com" to send your signature in. We are asking more than the 100, 000 companies to CANCEL UNUM'S CONTRACTS..STOP BUYING FROM THE WORST. We want thes companies to contract with good faith companies ONLY. Why are they even buying from the worst companies anyway? If we had to directly purchase our own insurance, no one in their right mind would use this company after reading all the negative stuff on the internet. I need people to help spread the word..a petition has been started to be publically displayed at a later date. Don't just blog..get involved..at least help us spread this word around... God Bless and help all those who are having a tough time now. Also email me with comments etc at bringunumdown@yahoo.com.
 11th of Dec, 2011 by   DTarsia 0 Votes
I am sorry I never was notified of all you answers.. yes lets go after them!!! Legally

26th of Nov, 2013 by   KimberlyLane 0 Votes
UnUm Insurance is the company contracted to provide short term disability insurance for my company - LexisNexis. I contacted the insurance company prior to having my surgery to start the claim process. I was informed that my doctor would need to answer a few questions regarding my surgery and leave. This was completed. Leave started 5 days after 9/3/2013. I had my follow up with my doctor on 10/16/2013 and at that time my doctor and determined that my leave needed to be extended to 11/25. I am required to inform UnUm that my leave has been extended to 11/25. Shannon Morris - the UnUm claims handler told me at that time UnUm would be sending additional forms to the doctor to complete. On 10/21/2013 I was CC on a letter that was sent to my doctor requesting information regarding my progress. On 11/18/2013 I received a call from my employer informing me that UnUm has closed the claim and I was now out on "unpaid leave" I ask why the claim was closed and my employer told me I should be aware of this and be working with insurance company (UnUm). I told my employer that Unum had not contacted me about thing - I had not been informed my claim was closed. I called UnUm and spoke to my claims handler - Shannon Morris - she informed me that my doctor did send in the information required and it came down to the diagnosis of the UnUm in-house doctor that I did not need to be out on disability. I called my doctor and informed him that the insurance company in-house doctor did not agree with his diagnosis and could he provide more detail. He said not a problem - this was completed on 11/18/2013. I called UnUm on 11/19 to verify that the necessary documentation had been provided. I received a return call from Shannon Morris on 11/20/2013 that again the in-house doctor did not agree with what my doctor provided and my claim is still closed and they will not pay. I finally received written letter 11/23/2013 from UnUm that my claim was denied 10/31/2013 to 11/25/2013. My Dr released me to return to work on 11/25/2013.

5 Tips on Finding a Reliable Automobile Repair Shop