logo

Forlan Wilson
scam of package
3. (6 mins ago)
Stickershoppe.com
I will never shop there again and encourage you to shop from other sticker shops that will not insult your intelligence
4. (12 mins ago)

UNITED READERS SERVICE

Posted:    G0atay

Cancellation

United Readers Service
I read several other peoples stories and it all sounds the same. These people are scamming you! I never signed a contract with them and never entered any so called drawing. They say I was entered in because I was preferred. BS to that! I went to get a car and my credit was very limited, so how the heck am I preferred when I have a very small limit on my credit. They'll take your money without you even knowing it and call you asking for all money up front claiming it to be a special one month deal in exchange for a 10% discount. Well they called me offering this month long deal from November 2008 to January 2009. Whats really scary is they had all of my information like my address and stuff. I was told that I could cancel, but am now told I have to pay $200 up front to cancel. So we reported them to our bank and the Better Business. I'm just getting sick of their phone calls calling me in important times in my life like just finding out the gender of our kid. Lets reveal this scam and make it known!
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

14th of Apr, 2009 by   anonymous +1 Votes
Terrible. Cited by the FCC in 2007: link here http://www.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2007/DA-07-2062A1.html

United Reader Service Inc
phone: 216-228-8833
web site: http://magazinesofamerica.com/
United Readers Service does business under many names
 9th of Jul, 2009 by   ihatefraud 0 Votes
I, unfortunately, signed up with this company, and now when I want to cancel, they say that if you aren't within the 10 day cancellation period, that you cannot cancel because they pay the magazines up front for the year. I had left an email on their website www.unitedreaders.com asking to cancel, but they claim that they never got it. I don't know what to do now!
 30th of Aug, 2009 by   pchtrh 0 Votes
When they call you, hang up as FAST as you can!!! This is such a ripoff company!!! They use young sounding women and say they are in training. I was really duped! Patricia
 10th of Sep, 2009 by   Claudia Pullman 0 Votes
I have the same problem with this company. I tried to call them today and cancel and they told me I had to pay for 24 months on my 48 months suscription. I have a credit card that has now an interest rate of 21% (they say because of the Economy) otherwise I have great credit. I want to get rid of the card and the charges on my card. By the time it's all said and done I will have spent almost $2, 000.00 on magazines I almost have no time to read. I want to cancel and They tell me I signed a contract with them and they would enter me in a sweepstakes. Now I am stuck with paying this ridiculous amount for another 16 months. I am afraid if I try to cancel they will probably ask for more money or ruin my credit. I was really surprised that they called me anyway since we are on the DO NOT CALL REGISTRY. Doesn't that mean anything??
 5th of Dec, 2009 by   Not drinking the kool-aid 0 Votes
Im having problems with the one in Lakewood.Ohio too. When I agreed to the deal at the end of 08 I agreed to the charge on my credit card.In Sept.of 09 they called wanting to up grade as she was selling her story I found it strange that she knew the rating on my credit score I found that to be oddand told her no when at the end my so called up-grade was going to cost me an extra 10.00 per month. A few days later I get the post card on this so called up-grade stating it would be 6 weeks for me to start receiving them. I called the Lakewood office and she acted dumb. I got in touch with my credit card and cancelled the auto charge. End of Sept. they sent me a bill due on Oct.1 sent check out Sept 25. They call on Oct. 1 wanting the money. Needless to say its been down hill with me and this collection service . They are totaly clueless as to who they are dealing with.
 10th of Dec, 2009 by   Magazine Frenzy 0 Votes
I also am having problems with the one in Lakewood, Ohio. There were other things involved with who did the deal but it would not have been something I would agree on. I am also on the do not call register but the thing was that the call was made to my cell phone. I thought it is illegal to solicit on wireless devices. How did they get the number in the first place. The way I found out about what had happened was that I received bill from a few of the magazines requesting money. Well I always pay for my magazines with the order so that way they do not try to trick me in paying again. Some of the magazines that are arriving are not even anything I would order. I have talked to them but they keep saying I need to pay. I was not the one who ordered or talked to them. Now I keep getting calls and they have only once left me a message to contact them. I am very tired of the harassment calls. The money you will be paying for a magazine subscription is way more than you would if you ordered from the actually magazine. The magazines even give you extra incentives like buy one and send a few gift subscription to a friend. Why would anyone want to deal with these individuals. It all seems like a SCAM to me.
 11th of Dec, 2009 by   Chrissy40 0 Votes
I also have tried to cancel with this company they told me the same thing i can't cancel because the already paid for the magazines, i can't afford these magazine's i don't have time to read them either i don't want them so what can i do about this company? please get back to me asap thanks from cpcarol40@comcast.net
 17th of Dec, 2009 by   mskim2000 0 Votes
I too have had the unfortunate experince with United Readers service. They call me at work which according to our company attorney that is a violation of my rights. I was really busy and not really listening closely when they suckered me into accepting those damn magazines. I too called and tried to cancel and got the same run around as everyone else. Our company attorney also stated that she finds it hard to believe that United Readers would prepay the publisher for the magazines. I think the united readers service should be shut down. The last time I looked it was against the law to scam people and it looks like they have been doing it since 2007, come on!!! enough is enough !!
 18th of Dec, 2009 by   United Reader Suck ASS 0 Votes
I am another victim of the telemarketer soliciting for magazine sales via a great prize or sweepstakes contest that I do not recall entering. They called me on the phone and said they were sending me a Womens diamond watch because I'm a preferred credit card holder and the same thing happens to me as it has to all of you. I stupidly gave account info over the phone and now they wont let me cancel. I recorded the telephone conversation when I signed up and this statement below made me believe I can cancel at anytime, but they would like me to stay the full length without cancelling (of course they
would). Here is the statement directly from the recorded call:

"You do understand that we must make a financial commitment to the publisher for the full length of your service in order to garauntee you a frozen price; so of course, you need to stay with us for the full length without cancelling, but don't forget you can change your magazines at any time during the life of the order at no charge. After the tone please state Yes or No"

My problem is that they stated I need to stay with them. Alot of people say they needs things and don't get them, which made me believe they would really like me to stay with them without cancelling. When I called to cancel, they told me they have already paid the publishers and cancelling is not an option. If cancelling wasn't an option, then why didn't the phone call state, "you HAVE to stay with us for the full length without cancelling". My thoughts exactly, they word it to where you believe you can cancel at anytime, then when you try they tell you that you never can cancel. I'm not looking for any
reimbursement, but I just want this cancelled. This is a scamming company that I should have done more research into. They have hundreds of BBB complaints and are all over the web. On another note, the magazines I signed up for never come. I was supposed to get 6 a month and I might get 2-3. Horrible service, no real savings, bad customer service, and a locked in contract that I never knew about? Please, let me out of this mess now...

So what am I doing about it: I filed a formal complaint with the Georgia Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs. Yes, that's right... We as consumers do have rights and your consumer affairs office will help you out. In most states, you can't even legally enter into a contract that can't be cancelled. And because it's phone based, most have to give you a couple of weeks to cancel. All in all, do something about it guys. I just filed mine this morning and will fight this to the end. No matter how much they threaten you, they can't send this to a collection agency because they don't have your SSN... Ahah! You may get "FAKE" calls saying it's a collection agency trying to collect a debt, but pull your credit report, I guarantee you, you won't see it on there. You don't have to pay these folks a penny, but there is one bad thing... The phone calls. So file a compliant and get it cancelled. If you can't, change your bankcard/credit card and change your phone number... I know it sucks, but that'll be the end of it.
 21st of Dec, 2009 by   irritated in Oregon 0 Votes
I have been dealing with this company for more than five years . Now they are threatening to take me to small claims court. Thanks for the info on filing a complaint against them. They tried to take money from my bank account when I was duped into thinking they were U.S. Readers(because they kept telling me they were agents of U.S. Readers).U.S. Readers called me a week after united called to tell me to beware of a company trying to pass themselves of as a division of U.S. Readers. I asked the operator(from United Readers) repeatedly why U.S.Readers was changing my payment amount and style of payment(bank withdrawal instead of check). They never corrected me that they were not U.S. Readers and in fact took $100.00 out of my bank account. I turned them in to U.S.Bank as not having authorization to take the funds. They had to return the funds because they were passing themselves off as another company. This was five years ago, and today their phony collection agent called and told me that if I paid her 500.00 that they would close my account. $500.00 to close an account that I never opened in the first place.When I refused she told me(in a very threatening tone) that they would take me to small claims court for $1500.00 and win. I told her that I was not going to pay anything and to take me to court.
 8th of Feb, 2010 by   littletiger85 0 Votes
I have a same problem here. They talked me into this and told me to just pay 68 dollars once. but then they are taking that amount every month.I called them to cancel this they said that I have to pay 330 dollars to cancel it. I called them again, they reduced the amount to 244 dollars. This is clearly a scam right? I have filed a claim to Indiana attorney's office, but if anyone knows what I should do about this, please send me an email to kim23@indiana.edu. Thank you.
 10th of Apr, 2010 by   nikkoscooter 0 Votes
I agree these people are running a scam. Don't know what to do about it.

Nikkoscooter
 14th of Jul, 2010 by   zlatka 0 Votes
I filed the complaint to BBB yesterday. Today received a call form their manager, she was tellinh me that I don't understand how their services are great and blah blah blah. Anyway, she said she will cancell the service. It happened only after I filed a complaint to BBB. before theyrefused to cancel this stupid service. Anyway, if you screwed by them just file BBB complaint, that should work.
 13th of Aug, 2010 by   AdventureIsMine21 0 Votes
I complietly agree with this! This company is a scam! I was really preoccupied when I got suckered into this one, I was getting ready to get married in 3 weeks and a lady called telling me I had won a prize. I normally hang up right away, but she was nice so I infortaintly gave her a chance to suck me into her scam. Before I knew it I had signed up for 5 magazines that I didn't really want and she never told me that it was impossiable to cancel in the future. It's redundant to pa the publishers up front for two years, also I am suppose to get magazines for 4 years if they just stop sending them then I have no pull because I too was made to pay in advance! I am very angree and they should be shut down!!!
 17th of Aug, 2010 by   dmob 0 Votes
I agree with all of you! I just now filed a complaint to BBB. The united readers service people called me 3 times and the 2 times they hung up on me when I told them I never signed up for a membership. The 3rd call was from the collection agency! oh ya and I also filed a complaint to the federal trade commission. I hope all this mess gets fixed because I can't be stressing anymore I just had my new born and dealing with a 2 year old..GRR!
 24th of Aug, 2010 by   Aggravated in NY 0 Votes
I also was taken in on this scam, didn't realize what i was getting into until it was too late. They say 10 days and you can cancel, well the first intro letter and such came almost 2 weeks after, so it was too late. I paid about 3 months of this crap, while trying to figure out what to do about it, i think i got about 8 magazines...far from 6 a month. Anyways i lost my credit card and had to get it canceled so, that ended them automatically charging it. They call like 3 times a day almost everyday. Finally when they called me at 9pm i was fed up, they wanted me to pay money that i owed, i told them i tried to cancel 2 other times, they didn't want to accept that, "we'll take you to collection agency you need to pay the full 24 months cause we pay in advance 4 years" go ahead i told em, hung up and filed a BBB complaint, we'll see how it goes. It is a scam, cause like someone else said on here, if you got a subscription direct from the magazine, (without specials and discounts) you would be paying A LOT less.
 28th of Aug, 2010 by   Stop URS Fraud 0 Votes
Same situation here. They took my elderly father by siphoning $150 out of his bank account before I caught it, and now they are sending him collections letters. I tried speaking to them on the phone twice but they are quite hostile. I called my dad's bank and started a fraud investigations claim. I've called the police and they told me to document everything and consider filing a civil lawsuit. It makes me sad and angry to think of all the people getting taken advantage of.

It seems to me that this is happening to so many people that there must be enough evidence by now to do something about it. I am going to do some research and see what it will take to start a class action lawsuit against this company.

If anyone that reads this wants to join me in this effort, please email me at stop-urs-fraud@earthlink.net.
 29th of Sep, 2010 by   sastified customer 0 Votes
I have been with this company for many years and have never had any of these problems. I recieve the T.V. guide once a week.. it even comes two weeks early!.. I also recieve Racheal Ray and Good housekeeping( which has tons of coupons by the way) for myself.. along with Game Informer for my son, American Cheerleader for my daugheter and snowboarding for my Husband. If I don't recieve an issue, which only happened once with the T.V. guide, they added 3 extra issues on my order. I absolutely love the serivice.. my family all enjoys the magazines and they come everymonth to my home. They have never charged my card( except the first time when I ordered).. but then again I always send my money order in before the 1st of the month... I don't see what all the complaints are about??? Are you all with the same company I am.. united Readers Service LLC in lakewood Ohio?? And btw when my paper work came in the mail I had 10 to 14 days to cancel... Some of you are complaining about not being able to cancel... yet u didn't when u were allowed the time. I understand where they are coming from.. if they have actually paid up front ... how can I expect the to pay for my order when i cancel...This service has actually SAVED me money and my children love the magazines coming in and have even learned things from the Cheerleader ones!! So ijust wanted to drop a positive note for the company who has serviced me well through the years!! Thank you United Readers Service...
 13th of Oct, 2010 by   satisfied customer! 0 Votes
I dont understand what all the fuss is about. I've been with United Readers Service for 14 years and the ONLY problem I had was lack of receiving my Forbes Magazine for 2 issues about 3 years ago. and they extended my service for three months free of charge... I intend on staying with this company for years to come. After reading these complaints I think people may have been mistaking different companies with similar names? Alot of the claims are completely different with one another, and sound nothing like the company I am with? Maybe, as a suggestion to you all, make SURE of the company you are doing business with--alot of these sound like scams, and I know from personal experience with being with this company for over a decade, United Readers Service LLC isnt a scam; i can gaurantee you i would NOT have been with them continuously as I have?!
 26th of Oct, 2010 by   bogieberger 0 Votes
I am also having these problems. I also had to cancell all my credit cards and have not paid them (URS) for about a year now. They just called yesterday, and said they were taking me to court. They said they have recordings of me agreeing to everything, which they probably do. They said they will add legal fees, court costs, etc. Has anyone been taken to court by them? I don't want to get stuck with a judgement for several times what they say I owe now.

Tax Hacks: 5 Smart Uses for Your Tax Refund