logo

Posted:    Upstanding Citizen

Terrible Business

TYTY
tytyga.com
After waiting 3 1/2 weeks for my Windmill Palm with 4 phone calls of long holds and personal who shifted blame among nearly never presently staffed departments, one of which even told me the item was shipped??? I was finally told the item was not in stock they do not know when it will be and yet they still offer it on their site. This business is shady at best. They claim their normal course of business is not to send email confirmations with shipping info or tracking numbers. Whaaat was I thinking, there are plenty of reputable nurserys online, even Amazon.

I am so untrusting of this establishment I have put my credit card on notice of future scams or charges.
The nursery at TYTY
What a waste of time.
Comments United States Nature & Environment
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

20th of Jun, 2009 by   Timothy 0 Votes
Ty Ty Nursery has an utterly deplorable reputation in the gardening community. Do a search for "Ty Ty Nursery Complaint" in any search engine, and read the long sometimes colorful threads on many gardening messageboards. You will begin to get an idea how this company typically operates. It has gotten so bad that many individuals do not even mail-order from GA anymore-- simply to avoid the many affiliate companies under different names, all with service equally as rude and incompetent.

My personal experience with Ty Ty nursery back in 2004 was just utterly ridiculous. My 4 plants were shipped LOOSE, sliding around in the triangle box, getting beaten up and broken during transit. I received them and all 4 items died within a week, despite my horticultural expertise. I contacted Ty Ty Nursery about replacement / refund and they demanded I ship back the dead plants to them. Then they said I had to pay an additional 25% of my original order to cover replacement shipping...? Obviously, all of this was caused by negligent shipping on their part. I had in essence already paid for "careful shipping" as advertised on their website. I never received the service I had paid for. What I got was negligent, incompetent shipping-- 4 tender plants, bare-root, thrown loose into a box. They died. What does the company expect? It's terrible business practice to place any responsibility on the customer -- see Retail : 101.

I described to them these exact circumstances, I even had pictures to send them if need be. Instead of initiating any kind of customer retention measure, they instead argued with me saying I was "being uncompliant" with their replacement policies. I refuted this stupidity, and they came back at me with "your plants were shipped outside their designated climate zone, so they're not covered" (it was summer and climate was not a factor). It went on like this for three letters back & forth to a uniquely defensive and shamefully anti-customer manager named "Rick."

Even after filing with the BBB, they did not issue a refund. Only another rude letter. Needless to say, I never saw that money again. I, like many others, have simply taken to discouraging people from buying at Ty Ty Nursery whenever it comes up. In the gardening community today, getting ripped of by Ty Ty Nursery is kind of a harsh "rite of passage" into the hobby of serious plant collecting. Almost everybody does it, and then never buys there again. We can only spread the word, and hope that future victims hear our loud complaints.

Sooner or later, the company will have clean up their act... or there won't be any more customers for them to rip off.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

ATTN:: Ty Ty Nursery representatives / employees:

This above commentary is my personal opinion, in a open public forum. I hereby invoke my constitutionally protected right to freedom of speech, should any Ty Ty employee happen to read this. This opinion is not in any way affiliated creators and moderators of this website. As my opinion, based on my frustrating experience, genuine in all factual details, it shall not be construed as libel (or slander). I am well aware of my rights.
 29th of Jun, 2009 by   glenola 0 Votes
I ordered windmill palm trees from them 6 weeks ago. I have called them 4 times and each time was told they had been shipped. When I called this morning, the phone goes to a "do not disturb" message. The 800 number they have is not in service. I have contacted the Georgia Department of Consumer Affairs (as this will do any good).
 29th of Jun, 2009 by   Timothy 0 Votes
The Georgia consumer affairs actually may be able to help you. That is a good idea.

I remember reading an investigative report 5+ years ago which has long been removed from the internet due to legal saber-rattling from Ty Ty Nursery. It went into some detail about their rather despicable business practices & history. Ty Ty Nursery, in many previous years, has gotten more officially reported customer complaints about their nursery than all other nurseries in the entire of GA combined! That is not something they would want the public to hear.

Their bait is the colorful, bombastic (redneck?) modeling-agency advertising on their website. They have spent considerable time and effort on the website making themselves look professional. If only they spent a fraction of those resources on customer service and good competent plant labeling / shipping practices, the company might have some positive feedback.

I remember years ago when they had a file on the Garden Watchdog website (public company experience discussions, for purposes of consumer protection), and it was about 90% negative comments, a long page full of very angry customer responses. Ty Ty Nursery became aware of the website. Representatives / affiliates from Ty Ty Nursery would then create a bunch of accounts, and post positive responses to try and stem off the flow of active negative commentary from former customers. The moderator of the Garden Watchdog site caught on (most of the positive reports were posted from the same internet IP address; a single computer) and began to neutralize the false positives.

Then Ty Ty got the lawyers involved and forced Garden Watchdog to shut down their entry on Ty Ty Nursery altogether, under threat of libel (even though it was simply an open public forum, and all negative accounts were from individual, genuinely swindled customers). That is why you won't find a file on this company at Garden Watchdog anymore, even though they are a predominant internet nursery presence.
 22nd of Jul, 2009 by   PARTICIPANT -1 Votes
Unfortunately for me, I had not read these comments prior to ordering from Ty Ty Nursery. So the misfortune of having a terrible experience with them is mine too. What is most startling, though, is that their incomprehensibly rude behavior didn't even occur pursuant to an argument.

On July 22, 2009, I called to ask how I would go about returning a recently-purchased tree that had dies. After being on hold for some time, a mature-sounding man got on the phone. I started to tell him about my dead tree. He interrupted me and told me to be quiet! He then said that I had to fill out the replacement form on line, and promptly hung up. I printed the form and had trouble filling it out. So I called back and asked what one of the questions meant. He again gave a curt answer and hung up again. Still not knowing how to complete the form, I called back and no one answered. I called back again and got the "do not disturb" telephone prompt.

In my disbelief, I did a web search and found this feedback. TY TY's actions are so abominable that they don't even fall under the umbrella of bad customer service: they are plain crazy!
 1st of Apr, 2010 by   thedoctor195 -1 Votes
TyTy overcharged me, when i received my plants I reviewed the invoice and the prices were different from listed on the website. I called to ask about this and they said they just lowered the prices, i said thats impossible because i remember seeing these low prices when i ordered thats the whole reason i ordered. He replied with I am sure we just changed the prices, the price you charged was accurate at the time being...I must be a future teller to know that they were gonna lower their prices, those suckers ripped me off for over $50, i haven't even looked through the packaging to make sure all my plants are there yet, I am about to do that when i get home from work (wish me luck).
 8th of Jun, 2010 by   smurfy 0 Votes
I agree with everyone who complained about TyTy Nursery, do they pay the govenor off to stay in business?
 8th of Jun, 2010 by   smurfy 0 Votes
I agree with everyone on this issue. Do they pay someone off to stay in business?
 25th of Jul, 2010 by   wickerby 0 Votes
I had an almost identical experience as Timothy above. I so wished I had read this before making a $200 purchase for 2 pecan trees. Maybe I should submit myself for stupidity for not doing that before buying. I am also an experienced gardener and have planted many, many trees and bushes but have never had the case in which both plants showed no sign of life -- ever! This is what I said in a complaint letter (to which I have heard nothing):

Dear Patrick Malcolm [manager]:

I am writing you about two Cape Fear Pecans that I purchased last summer. I received them in December, planted them within a week and they never sprouted nor shown any sign of life. I have talked to your staff several times and have submitted a claim for replacement trees. However, in reading more closely on your web page, I see that I must pay the nursery a 25% shipping fee. This will come to around $50.

I have to tell that I am dismayed with this. As you can see from the attached pictures (including the two dead pecan trees), I am a very active gardener and planter. There have to be at least 50 trees and shrubs that I have planted over the past 20 years plus I have lived in my house.

The people on your staff have expressed confidence in your product every time I have talked to them. In fact, they talked me into buying a larger, more highly priced tree because they said that a larger one had a much higher likelihood of surviving. I listened to them in part because I had confidence in my prior success. I have NEVER had the case in which all of the same shrubs/trees in a single purchase to die. Never!

Based on my own successful experience with trees, I had every confidence that they would thrive. As a result, my only conclusion is that there is something wrong with the tree, I have lost nearly $200.00 and I have nothing. So, I hope that you can appreciate that from my point of view, paying $50 is good money chasing bad.

I have read your guarantee and see that replacement is my only option; and that is for one season. Is this my only option? If so, I am very disappointed. Maybe I need to learn that buying a plant/tree by mail from a nursery is bad idea.
 25th of Jul, 2010 by   wickerby -1 Votes
I had an almost identical experience as Timothy above. I so wished I had read his and other comments before making a $200 purchase for 2 pecan trees. Maybe I should submit myself for stupidity for not checking first. I am also an experienced gardener and have planted many, many trees and bushes but have never had the case in which both plants showed no sign of life -- ever! This is what I said in a complaint letter (to which I have heard nothing):

Dear Patrick Malcolm [manager]:

24th of Sep, 2010 by   mewdeeone 0 Votes
I distrust anything that TyTy Nursery advertises. Patrick Malcolm, the owner, is a dirty old man, in my opinion. He's most certainly a LIAR. I understand that when he goes to Sea Island, GA for "photo sessions" for those brilliant commercials (yuck) that the Islanders call him "Dr. Malcolm"...his website states that he has a Bachelor of Science in Organic Chem from Clemson University, but after placing a call to Clemson University, I now know that it is NOT true. He has NOT received a degree in ANYTHING from Clemson University. I have spoken with former employees that said that there is a LOT of groping and grabbing of the new employees there, and Mr. Malcolm says that it's "morale building", as you would see in a locker room. This makes absolutely no sense to me. I do know this: I would vomit if I had a 70+ year old man put his "twigs and berries" on my shoulder as a joke while I'm on the telephone. If you order from them, that's who you're ordering from. Watch the videos...he's instructing these young, socially inept little boys from the local community college to fondle the fruit...eat a banana seductively. I would die laughing if I could just ONCE see a video of Patrick Malcolm showing these boys how to eat a banana!!!
 23rd of Mar, 2011 by   danapril2 0 Votes
Hey I just wanted to let you guys know that I really appreciate your quality products. My last shipment is thriving - all six blueberry plants are already developing strongly and the two plum trees are starting to bud. Thanks for fast shipment and great quality!

CDR Dan Rader
 24th of Mar, 2011 by   wickerby +1 Votes
I made a complaint above about Cape Fear pecan trees. After complaining to Georgia Better Business Bureau, they have made good on the trees.
 24th of Mar, 2011 by   mewdeeone 0 Votes
Hey, danapril2, this is "complaintsboard"! This is for the people who have had issues with the most DESPICABLE mail-order plant business on planet Earth. If you're an avid gardener, leave compliments on GardenWeb or Daves...you'd nearly be the first!
 27th of Mar, 2011 by   Timothy +1 Votes
DANAPRIL2 - I call BS. TyTy employees / representatives have registered accounts to post "false positive" reports on the internet many times in the past. It is a despicable practice. This is why "Garden Watchdog" no longer has a ratings/comment account for them. Because their public record was atrocious, and TyTy Nursery affiliates had been posting false positive reviews (all were traced to the same IP). Any good business would never need to resort to these sorts of anonymous face-saving tactics.

***This commentary is my personal opinion, in a open public forum, based directly on my own experience. I hereby invoke my constitutionally protected right to freedom of speech, should any Ty Ty employee happen to read this. This opinion is not in any way affiliated creators and moderators of this website. As my opinion, based on my frustrating experience, genuine in all factual details, it shall not be construed as libel (or slander). I am well aware of my rights.
 19th of Apr, 2011 by   innaY 0 Votes
I bough 4 plants and after I grounded them in the very beginning of Marh, 2 of them dried out right away. 3 weeks ago I spoke with somebody by phone ( voice seems old) and I was told to wait another 2-3 weeks and after, ( if miracle will not happened and they will not start establish) send plants back to TY TY. I call them today and representative said, that it was only the first step and now I should send them application for replacement in September 15th and pay them extra 25% !!!. Representative was sarcastic and rude...Terrible company!!
 29th of Sep, 2011 by   Conspirator 0 Votes
I'm homesteading and my family lost food because of Tytyga. I go to stores about twice a month, I order nearly everything online for over ten years, I've purchased from hundreds of retailers, and I can't recall ever feeling intentionally cheated by any other retailer.

I ordered two Filberts, three elderberries, two English/Carpathian Walnut, a raspberry bush, two paw-paws and an apricot tree. I did not get charged for nor did I receive the Apricot thank god, because I ended up purchasing a Blenheim and a Katy from reputable companies. What I did receive was a pile of sticks. One Filbert passed the living scrape test at the bottom but the top three feet were dead, it eventually produced a bud and then totally died like its partner. Both English/Carpathian Walnut passed the scrape test but one never grew, another is producing suckers at the rootstock I think, I can't tell actually exactly where the root stock is because the trees were so scarred and twisted when I got them. I wouldn't be surprised if they were grafted to black walnuts with this nursery, they're so unscrupulous.

One paw-paw is alive. The three elderberries I somehow nursed into life. I couldn't get the Raspberry to grow Raspberries have to be one of the easiest things to grow where I live.

I should mention that I purchased Raspberries and Filberts from other companies and planted them pretty close by the Tytyga rip-offs early season when it became apparent that the plants were dead. The plants from the other four nursuries are thriving.

This place is a huge rip-off. How can they live with themselves causing all this bad karma and killing life for fun? They have to lose more money from getting bad-mouthed and getting no repeat customers then they will ever save pruning the plants to death and throwing them into a box like kindling.

This experience has changed my whole way of shopping online. The first thing I do now is look up complaints for a company before ordering. I hope at least one person reads this and decides not to purchase from Tytyga. Watch out they do business under many names like "Aarons"
 16th of Jul, 2012 by   Dustyroad 0 Votes
I agree that TyTy is the biggest ripoff. I certainly wished I had read the complaints before I ordered. I ordered pecan trees and blackberries. None of the pecan trees sprouted and out of 12 blackberries only 3 came out. Waht a waste of money. When I complained they called me a liar and said read the "return policy". I have to pay for return shipping of the DEAD plants and then get more dead plants from them. Great!!
Dustyroad.
 27th of Nov, 2012 by   vito parisi 0 Votes
This tyty company does not take care of its custumers, I bought 2fig trees cost me 92.45 the trees died I called and taslked to todd the manager he said I was in the wrong zone, so I told him when you asked me my name and address y dident you tell me they wouldf not grow in my zone.he sayes he has to talk to his manager and says ill call you tomorroew that was two weekds ago.so I call back the ansermachine says can't talk in my eray.so I guess iam swered.I would tell everyone don't bye from tyty nursery
 8th of Dec, 2012 by   JeffersonGA 0 Votes
I ordered online for several persimmon trees before August 2012. This order was supposed to be shipped mid November, but somehow Tyty nursery computer "CRASHED" and erased all orders and Tyty nursery could not retrieve them. Amazing thing is current price raised double and sale rep told me to reorder with current price if I want those trees(??). This is an unprofessional business operation. I think Tyty system "CRASHED" on purpose so they can fix the new price. So disappointed and I look for different vendor for better service..
 14th of Dec, 2012 by   bugstopper 0 Votes
i recommend that anyone and everyone steer clear of tyty nursery in georgia. they are not an honorable business. i ordered pecan trees in the summer at a sale price. tyty is now unwilling to honor that order. steer clear.

Tips How to Save Money on Gasoline