logo

NTS INFOTECH
OFFLINE HTML OUTSOURCING
3. (32 mins ago)
Youth weekly Pay
Website is scam – don’t waste time
4. (48 mins ago)
took my money from me

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Sunbeam, Westpointe & J.C. Penny's Electric Blanket, Lexington, Kentucky Complaints & Reviews - These new electric blankets are a rip off!

Sunbeam, Westpointe & J.C. Penny's Electric Blanket Contacts & Informations

Sunbeam, Westpointe & J.C. Penny's Electric Blanket

Posted:    Valerie

These new electric blankets are a rip off!

Sunbeam, Westpointe & J.C. Penny's Electric Bl
Lexington, Kentucky
I've purchased 3 electric "warming" blankets since January or February of this year. I have listed them above. Honestly, none of them worked over six weeks (if that long). Once I got them up to a good, high heat...they freaked out & basically just quit.

I assume that the companies are so afraid of being sued these days that they won't make the good, old-fashioned kinds that our family used when I was a young girl. (I'm 59 now). Practically everyone I knew used electric blankets & I NEVER heard of an injury, fire, electrical shock, etc. back in the '60's & 70's.

I've Googled this & have read precisely the same complaints about exactly the same 3 products from a magnitude of other people. I mean it has literally become a joke among consumers, as well as in my family about Moma and her ongoing, yet futile quest for that ONE illusive electric blanket that would truly warm her throughout at least one winter season!!! I KNOW they do not exist...UNLESS...My husband has ordered me what is called the "Classic Electric Blanket" from the Vermont Country Store. One of the people recommended this in my Google search. So I read about it and I am hoping it's one that gets hot & stays hot...and that the company that manufactures it is not afraid to provide real heat to real people who are freezing to death at night! My crippled arms and shoulders won't allow me to lift a bunch of covers. I need that one light blanket which will be twice as hot as most people could stand.

WARNING! WARNING! Do NOT buy the three products listed: Electric blankets by : Sunbeam, Westpointe, and J.

C. Penny's Top-of-the-Line model. The second one cost $146. All cost well over $80 for only a double bed model.

None of minded work over 3-4 weeks.,,and the many people I googled reported exactly the same results. If the "Classic Electric" from Vermont Company Store ends up working, I WILL report back. If it doesn't, I' SURELY report back. Thanks for allowing me to "vent".
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

15th of Jan, 2008 by   Victoria Burns 0 Votes
I purchased a WestPoint electric blanket from JC Penneys in October of '07. I paid $140.00 for a king sized blanket.

Within 3 weeks one side would only heat up by using the #4 setting or the #9. Nothing lower, nothing higher. At this point the blanket will only heat up to the #4 setting and I doubt it gets that warm.

This weekend the other side completely quit. Nothing. It won't even shut off. It just keeps blinking the E for error. We have to unplug it from the wall.

The blanket came with a 5 yr. warranty...I just emailed the company about my problem...I'll let you know if they replace my controls. As they should per the warranty.

But I agree wholeheartedly with the original poster. DON'T waste your money on a WestPoint (by Martex) blanket. Not worth the money.
 19th of Jan, 2008 by   Jim Lucas 0 Votes
We LOVE the feel and quality of the blanket itsself, but we had the same problem with three different blankets -- all Westpoint higher end warming blankets (different sizes). There is a 5 year warranty. We sent in the blankets and controls since the problem was of a code that required this (according to their support people). They returned two blankets with merely a post it in the box -- and no remotes. We're now starting over in finding out what we need to do since no paperwork came in the box at all. This is definately a pain!
 25th of Jan, 2008 by   Angry 0 Votes
I totally agree with the poster. I bought a sunbeam electric blanket back in december and at first it got nice and warm, kept me toasty all night. Now its almost February and now the thing wont even heat up any more, if it does its so minimal that it doesnt even matter. I emailed sunbeam and got an automated response of "we've received a high volume of emails, you email will be processed in the order it was received"

A high volume of emails, gee I cant even begin to imagine why!
Dont buy sunbeam!! it wont work after a month!!I did some research and I saw MANY people had this problem. I guess we will see if they respond to my complaint.
 18th of Feb, 2008 by   Terry Beaudry 0 Votes
I got my Sunbeam electric blanket in October in hopes of a warm, toasty winter instead of freezing like I typically do. Well forget that idea with this blanket!

The blanket only heats to about a level 1 or 2 if that, most of the time there's no heat from it at all even when I have it turned onto "HIGH".

Unfortunately I don't have the receipt (Costco) so I can't even get my money back.

So... long story short, don't waste your money on this worthless blanket!
 25th of Apr, 2008 by   Frustrated former customer 0 Votes
I thought I was imagining that I was freezing to death. I couldn't believe it was the new electric blanket giving out after two months. But I hate to be cold, so I tossed the old one and bought another. Three months later it too quit. The next one lasted even less time. They are all variations of Sunbeam so they obviously have a problem.

The fourth time I bought a replacement at Macys as they will take back anything that is a problem during the first six months. I figure the new one won't last that long and hopefully Macys will replace it. This is getting ridiculous!
 11th of Oct, 2008 by   Tina 0 Votes
I am behind EVERYONE on this sunbeam heating blanket issue?! I can't tell ya how many Ive bought..and I thought it was just me?! I have about 7 of them laying around my house right now..not counting the couple I got rid of and NONE of them work!!! For what they cost..youd think theyd AT LEAST work thru ONE WINTER..come on now?! This company really should compensate people..especially when they say 5 year warranty of them...NONE of them make it a year...?! Im searching now for a way to email them?!
 1st of Nov, 2008 by   Jane 0 Votes
I have had the same problems with several Sunbeam blankets as described above. Where does one send the blanket for warranty work? I can't find an address anywhere on the Owner's Manual or Sunbeam website.
 9th of Nov, 2008 by   Nate 0 Votes
We are on our second Sunbeam electric blanket. This one, too, only gets barely warm after less than a season of use.

I contacted Sunbeam, and they sent me an RMA number. Problem is, they want me to package it up and ship it at my expense back to them, then they'll determine if the unit is still in warranty (since I don't have my receipt - I purchased it last fall) and if it's not they'll send me an estimate.
 15th of Nov, 2008 by   sheila jeffers 0 Votes
i purchased a sunbeam electric blanket, used it 1 winter, and it does not work now, it wont heat up, controls just blink off and on, i paid alot of money for this product and looked forward to using it this winter i am very disappointed, that my sunbeam electric blanket, wont work, my home phone number is 815-889-4157 i live in milford illinois, 60953 at 105 east main street, I am unenployed now, and cant afford to buy another blanket,
 22nd of Nov, 2008 by   pfeifest 0 Votes
We have a Sunbeam doing the same thing... not heating up and just sits there and blinks. For the $ it is a piece of junk. Unfortunately, I now associate all Sunbeam products with the same "junk" status as this blanket.

I'm going to just get another one the day after Thanksgiving and take the non-working one back. Whoops... did I just say that.
 22nd of Nov, 2008 by   tom 0 Votes
I purchased 2 of sunbeam's queen sized electric blankets last fall from Wal Mart. Neither one of them lasted the winter, both of them quit heating. Too bad I misplaced my sales receipt. What a rip-off and a total waste of money. These blankets were expensive! I'll never, ever purchase another Sunbeam product again
 3rd of Dec, 2008 by   Joe 0 Votes
I guess I should feel lucky as I did get a full winter's use out of my overpriced "Sunbeam" king sized heating blanket. I pulled it out for use a couple of weeks ago and it's become completely worthless! Like someone else mentioned, I now assosiate the name "Sunbeam" with junk!
 3rd of Dec, 2008 by   Diane 0 Votes
I too can join the long list of people who own the Expensive yet useless Sunbeam Electric Blanket!!!
 5th of Dec, 2008 by   Terry 0 Votes
Great. We just bought a king-size WestPoint Home electric blanket today from Linen & Things. And like so many others, it does not work. Error code E3 on both sides. Tried all the suggestions. So with LNT's status, it looks like we might be stuck with this. Has anyone gotten a good response from the manufacturer?
 14th of Dec, 2008 by   Bill 0 Votes
WOW!!! “Westpoint Homes” should see these posts…We picked up two of them, two years ago ( I feel pretty lucky after reading all of these posts), got one and a half winters out of them before they started to act up and were put away.
We pulled them out tonight, plugged them in…and you guessed it…nothing but “3” and “E”s and no heat.
I went online to see if I could find a solution and found all of these posts and decided I would chime in too…all I can say is “Made in China”…what a piece of junk.
 25th of Jan, 2009 by   Barney Rubble 0 Votes
I bought a double size Sunbeam electric blanket hear in Tulsa at all-American Maggot Mart ie. walmart in the fall of 2008. I used it the first chilly night night we had in October, almost roasted myself, and had to turn it off; since October it it would only heat up a little at one
end, around the middle of january of this year(2008)it quit working all together.
someone needs to sue the butt off of theses company
so we the public won't be throwing our Money away every time we buy something.

Just a little social commentary My grandfather
was a jeweler and ran a jewelry store here in Tulsa before world war ll (the family business now manufactures church metal ware) my grand father
wouldn't of stayed in business or supported his family
if he sold the garbage products and used the business practices like these electric blanket companies do.
 26th of Jan, 2009 by   lmtae 0 Votes
Same deal, I've had this blanket for about 4 weeks and now it blinks!
 1st of Feb, 2009 by   saintcheryl 0 Votes
I just wish I had read these comments before I purchased my Sunbeam blanket. My comments are "ditto" to "Heated for one month", Sunmbeam does not respond to questions. My blanketg heated for about 1 week and now it just flashes "F2 " over and over. List price was $139.00 at Penneys. Not worth $3.95.
 6th of Feb, 2009 by   iHilary 0 Votes
I got a sunbeam blanket for Christmas and it was heaven the first month, then out of nowhere, it starts blinking "f2" and wont stop, so I went online and checked it out on the website, it told me to unplug it from the wall and then the module, so I did and then plug it back in the to module and make sure it's secure, and then plug it into the wall, after doing this three times, I gave up, it's still blinking "f2" and now I'm without an electric blanket. I also think it's because it's been on for two days because I'm really sick. But I still want it to work!!! I'm very dependant on it.
 9th of Feb, 2009 by   alphaxdx1 0 Votes
Sunbeam heating blankets stop working and loose heat to areas after you wash them once, even if you follow the directions exactly. They want you to buy another every year. Just another example of corporate greed. They do this on purpose and try to decept the masses about saving energy and then extract more surplus by making a crappy product which will give them residual income. Capitalism has diminishing returns.

Why The Rich Stash Money Offshore