logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
gobuu.com
Don’t buy from this company
2. (4 mins ago)
OmanAir
refund
5. (1 hr 14 mins ago)
fugenx.com
Their work is horrible, slow and doesn’t worth of your money

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Subscriber Services Inc. Complaints & Reviews - Fraudulent magazine subscriptions, harassing phone calls!

Subscriber Services Inc. Contacts & Informations

Posted:    Jeffrey R. Pickens

Fraudulent magazine subscriptions, harassing phone calls!

Using fraudulent and deceptive business practices, this company subscribed numerous magazine subscriptions in the name of my son. My wife and I are now being subjected to around-the-clock harassing and abusive phone calls regarding amounts allegedly owed by my son to your company. We are appalled by the unethical and unprofessional behavior of this organization and it representatives.
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

1st of Jun, 2007 by   aeals 0 Votes
Me and my hubby have the exact opposite problem they upon stating we had this free trial with the magazine did not state we could cancel within x no of days well when we tried they told us it was too late and now where stuck with this crap and they cant even get the magz straight by sending the right ones!!
 21st of Sep, 2007 by   Nora Ellen Vickroy 0 Votes
I feel like I am stuck with magazines I never wanted in the first place
& I was never told that I could not cancel the subscription at any
time. Therefore, I feel that this is very unfair & that I should not
have to pay for any magazines I don't want. I don't know how to
make them understand. I signed an official award release form
& sent it back to them but I only wanted a man's watch as a gift for
my husband. I was did not know that I was going to be stuck with
some magazines I never ordered or wanted. If there is a way to resolve this, please let me know. I don't like being in situations like
this at all! Thank you kindly.
Sincerely,
Mrs. Nora Ellen Vickroy
 25th of Sep, 2007 by   EL 0 Votes
I also signed up with this company located in Arvada, Colorado. They signed me up for 5 years of magazines and charged me $850. I called them to cancel the magazines, but they told me that I cannot cancel, but I can change the magazines. I told them that I do not want the magazines anymore and I didn't want to pay for any magazines. I thought that what they are charging me is too much for even five years. They said that they tape-recorded my agreement over the phone, that they made loans with the publishers that must be repaid and threaten to send any non-payments to collections. So I made full payment, thinking that they won't send anybody to my home and make harassing phone calls anymore. But now I am having second thoughts if I did the right thing to pay them in full. I am getting some magazines in the mail that was not a part of my order. They did not give me a choice to choose a plan on the number of years but only 5 years. It is like they already have only one option that they all follow. I do not know what will happen once 5 years has gone by, if the magazines will stop coming. I do not know if this company really has connections with the magazine publishers or they are buying the magazines from any store and placing mailing labels on them to make it look like they are being sent from the publishers. Some of the magazines that I received had bar codes on them. If this company is fraudulent, and is ripping me off, then something must be done to put this company out of business, and to give me my money back.
 27th of Sep, 2007 by   lai cao 0 Votes
i agree with these people.....
that somthing is going wrong with this company... they told me that they will charge me for four months for fifty somthing... but they end up take out 58 dollar out of my bank account everymonths... i just wonder that can i do to get ribs of this company... should i talk to the lawyer about this.
 15th of Oct, 2007 by   cassius verneige 0 Votes
this company is just full of surprises i tell you, I was told I can cancel my subscriber service inc, at any time but I could not believe when they told me I cant. I was told the payment would be summed up to $58.24/month for like 4/5 months, but also that was not the case, they called me today again asking for the amount due which is $116.48 and I ask how much is the my balance on the whole subscription and they said over $700. And that is like 13 more month of $58.24 and that's outrageous, I just want to pay my amount due of $116.48 for the 2 months I have been receiving their magazine but and cancel but they are not letting me do that.
 19th of Oct, 2007 by   A. Rodriguez 0 Votes
First of all, discuss with your bank about canceling the subscription and cancel payment with bank/credit card company by either requesting cancellation. If not, close account and open new card/account elsewhere. File a letter of complaint with the Colorado Better Business Bureau. Here is their address:

1020 Cherokee St.
Denver, Colorado 80204-4039

Send a letter to any of the credit report agencies and report the matter in a letter. Hope this helps.
 17th of Nov, 2007 by   Does not matter 0 Votes
Well have you guys noticed they record your conversation and they also tell you they are doing so??? When you listen to the tape they tell you it's not cancel able??? You guys are retarded. the company is not a rip off I get my magazines and you can change them anytime. You guys are the ones that don't pay attention to what your getting yourself into. And I looked at how much it would cost a month from publishers from all the magazines and it's a lot cheaper. If you're bill wouldn't fall into their collections team and you paid your bill on time you probably wouldn't get harassing phone calls. And if you have a bill due it's just like another bill they call on it until you get it better. Or else you will fall into 3rd party collections which will make your credit score go low. This company is like another company.. just keep up to date with your bill and you wouldn't have a problem... I like their service.
 30th of Nov, 2007 by   David myers 0 Votes
Haha, I work with guy that said the above statment starting with, "Well have you guys noticed they record your conversation and they also tell you they are doing so??? " We know we are scamming people, he's just one of the ones that doesn't admit it"
 7th of Dec, 2007 by   Find Them 0 Votes
Go to BBB CO and look it up. Here are the managers I say we find their numbers and call them at home. These people are losers. CANCEL YOUR CREDIT CARDS!!!

David E Keown - CEO
Ms. Marsha Ness - Manager
Ms Christina Ortiz - Manager
Mr. Stan Riser - Credit Manager
Ms. Eva D.No Longer w/ Comp Iten - Customer Service
 26th of Dec, 2007 by   Daryl Mackieiwcz 0 Votes
I cannot stand these people they harrass the hell out of me. They even have the nerve to call me on Christams eve to collect money. I was very patient and tollerant. at first It started with $1,0000. I said that I refuse to pay they dropped it to $850 that I owed them I refused and hung up and they said they could drop it to $400 I refused and hung up after arguing for a while now there telling me $150 and they'll send me legal documents and stop calling me.. um can anyone else see there a scamming company anyone that works for them should crawl in a corner and die. Get a life I mean seriously who makes money by offering a service that isn't even true. Im locked in a subscripitiopn that I cannot pay off but yet they stopped sendind me magazines im not even gettting the ones I order prevention and LAtina wtf? I am a man not a Mexican women or a pregnant lady. Not only that they cancelled the one of the magizines why I orderd HOTROD? this company sucks they suck at scamming people, they suck at there ordering, They just suck at there jobs all together and I dont know about you but if your a real man or woman you take pride in the work you do. HaHA nice try I really dont care hurt my credit with your $1000 dollars I really dont care. You honestly need a life if you work for this company...
 19th of Jan, 2008 by   Jamie Schneider 0 Votes
I agree with what everyone is saying they are ripping us all off. I feel I was trapped into all these magazine sunscriptions that I don't even want and what I want to know is how to get of out it without my credit being screwed because they sent it to collections. It is waste of money that I need for better things. If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do to stop this without messing up my credit please email me at jamieflo@comcast.net

Jamie
 31st of Jan, 2008 by   robert 0 Votes
Man these guys are freakin unbelievable. It started out reasonable, so I thought. I know I should've listened and been more aware of what I was getting myself into because they do have it recorded they played it back to me when I tried to cancel. But after paying for months they called and offered me a deal. They quoted me what I owed and offered me to pay it off for much cheaper. Well agin not thinking I paid them off, so I thought. A couple of months I didn't hear anything from them. Well about a month ago I got a phone call stating that I still owed them money. I informed the lady that, "hey I already paid this off and do not want to do business with them any longer." This lady turns around and stated to me that I had only paid off half, and sometimes thats how they QUOTE it. WHAT. I paid out probably 3,000+ for what I thought to be a good deal. Well needless to say I have cancelled my credit card, but am just waiting for a letter from some collection agency with some outrageos amount owed. I will be notifying the BBB in CO to see if anything can be done.
 12th of Feb, 2008 by   heather nelson 0 Votes
This "company" isn't real! They are scam artists...I was sent a notice in the mail claiming I was trying to be reached with important information. I called and at the time I had just opened a credit card, and they said that they were affiliated with the card company and that because I had chosen them, I would receive a FREE magazine subscrition and contest entrance. All they needed to verfy it was me was my bank card number and being blonde (I really am blonde, so no comments about insults please!) I gave it to them. They kept transferring me and talking fast and they recorded my call for "quality assurance purposes". They told me how much it was a month then hung up. Next day I called to cancel and they said no, but they can lower my rate...gee, THAT'S convienant! A week later, tried again; they just said no and hung up. After talking to a colleague who used to scam people, I was a classic victem it turns out. So, in order to remedy the situation, here's what I did and what you should do to get out of it: DO NOT PAY THEM! Go to your bank, explain the situation (they will understand, trust me!) and they will close the card for you and give you a new one (my bank was so nice, they even refunded me most of the money the company stole from me!). Then, submit a Better Business Bureau complaint (it has to be the Colorado BBB) and in about 3 or 4 days, the company will call you and tell you that they are cancelling your "contract". But I think that you should go one step further and contact your state Attorney General's office too, because these people are scamming people and it is illegal (look it up!). We as consumers need to get these low-lives shut down and potentially locked up! I am a college student with no money as it is, and no one is going to take it away from me...I've worked too hard for it! Any comments, feel free to e-mail me!
 10th of Apr, 2008 by   Heather Wright 0 Votes
I don't want these magazines and I don't authorize any payments for these so called subscriptions. THe subscription is not in my name and I won't be paying for them
 2nd of May, 2008 by   Hannah McClain 0 Votes
I am in the exact same situation as all of you. I have tried to get these subcriptions canceled and they continuously keep telling me that they can only change the my payment options but cannot cancel it. I think that this company is scamming people and tricking them into something that they don't need or want.
 5th of May, 2008 by   Julia 0 Votes
I totally agree. I cannot believe I was tricked into something like this. These are people that are ruthless. I haven't even gotten my magazine re-order thing, and that would take even longer. I am going to be doing what Heather Nelson did and going to my back to explain what had happened. I do not need any more bad credit or anything. Already, because I didn't make my payment, I got a bill FOUR DAYS LATER! FOUR DAYS! Do those people even have a life? I'm so mad. I need to get to the bank ASAP.
 27th of May, 2008 by   Amorita 0 Votes
Oh my gosh I thought I was the only one that got sucked in to it. This is what happened to me. On the first call it was yea ok.. but not to sure. Then you get a second call few mins later. I told the guy that I didn't want it. He told me it was to late to cancel. And the phone call was only hour apart. Now I'm stuck.
 3rd of Jun, 2008 by   liz 0 Votes
I agree with everyone. this company is a bunch of crooks. First they call me at work, then two people tell me that i can cancel and then when i go to do so they tell me that i can't because i agreed to something over the phone. Then the guy was rude on the phone. Not to mention that they told me that i was paying for three years then added one for free and now they are trying to charge me for 5 years. this is stupid. my mother is called the credit card company and is threatening them with a lawyer. Now that i see that they are doing this to so many other people i will call colorado's business beareu and tell them.
 10th of Jun, 2008 by   lani 0 Votes
I was tricked too they told me I was going to be rewarded for paying my bills on time with my credit card. I thought it was the actual magazine company that I had been paying. When I saw they charge my card for $60 I wanted to know why so I called them and they told me I had a verbal contract with them and there was nothing I could do to cancel. I never heard of these company before so I looked online and saw that it was a scam. SO THESE IS WHAT I DID HOPELLY IT WILL HELP YOU!!!... I called my credit card company and explained it to them. The Woman on the phone contacted An Assitant Manager of Subscribers Services. She had us on three way he told her that I had a verbal agreement and We asked him to play it back to us (The tape was not good at all) We could not hear anything the tape was saying...So he canceled my service! Thank God! MAKE SURE YOU GET A CANCELATION NUMBER!!! The company will give you your money back! Hope it works out for you!
 14th of Jul, 2008 by   Eric 0 Votes
I too have had the same problems with this business. I was told that most of these magazines would be free but I would have to pay a very cheap price for the weekly magazine. I later got a bill for $900. I tried to cancel and they fed me a bunch propaganda. I just set my complaint against them with the Colorado BBB. We'll see what happens.

How To Create a Password Even Your Ex Can't Hack