logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Iranian hospital Dubai...worst hospital with worst surgeons
Iranian hospital Dubai.....worst hospital with worst surgeons
2. (16 mins ago)
Inheritance Scams

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Stratford Career Institute, Vermont Complaints & Reviews - STOLE MONEY AFTER I CANCELED ONTIME

Stratford Career Institute Contacts & Informations

Stratford Career Institute

Posted:    JENJOE

STOLE MONEY AFTER I CANCELED ONTIME

STRATFORD CAREER INSTITUTE
Vermont
I SENT IN THE PAPERWORK TO TAKE A COURSE WITH STRATFORD AND FOUND OUT THEY WERE DISHONEST BY THE COMPLAINTS I SAW ONLINE. I CANCELED WITHIN THE 2 WEEK TIME FRAME AND THEY SENT ME A NOTICE SAYING I STILL OWED $184.86. I FILED A COMPLAINT WITH THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU IN MY STATE AND THEIR STATE. I ALSO FILED A COMPLAINT WITH THE FTC. I ALSO FILED A COMPLAINT ON THE WEB SITE "RIPOFF". THEY KEPT THE INITIAL $69.00 I SENT, BUT THEY GAVE UP ON THE REST. THEY STRAIGHT OUT LIED ABOUT EVERYTHING. THE BOOKS TOOK THREE WEEKS TO COME AND THEY WERE OF POOR QUALITY. THEY MAKE SURE YOU GET THE BOOKS TO YOU LATE SO THEY CAN CHEAT YOU OUT OF EXTRA MONEY. THEY ARE NOT ACCREDITATED EITHER! I THINK THERE SHOULD BE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT BROUGHT AGAINST THEM. PLEASE FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE BBB AND THE FTC. THEY NEED TO BE STOPPED!
Comments United States Schools
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

18th of Jun, 2009 by   mdowney +1 Votes
Stratford never claims to be accredited. Plus, you are required to sign the enrollment agreement which gives very detailed instructions about taking a course with them and about canceling your enrollment etc. That is why it’s important to read everything. If you felt you stayed within their guidelines, you should contact them directly. I'm sure they would help you resolve any issues. They have always been very helpful to me.
 22nd of Sep, 2009 by   JJ13 0 Votes
I'm about to get my diploma from them in a couple of months. In my opinion you get what you put into it. It's self paced, which is almost like self-taught, except for if you get stuck, you ask questions and they will answer you. It sounds like the above students didn't want to put in their time. If you want an education, you have to put in your time, whether it's H.S., COLLEGE, or whatever you choose to study. Next time read the fine print. I think it's a great School, and I've learned a lot. People learn by reading and writing, and that is what you do in distance learning. Sincerely JJ
 3rd of Oct, 2009 by   Canada 0 Votes
I agree with JJ, Stratford offers adult career courses. It is up to you how well you study and learn the material, it is also the responsibility of the individual to see if the certificate offered is acceptable in their location. Having taken a course with them and now enrolled in another, I usually find that proving you know your stuff will go a long way with the employer. The certificate or diploma is just a piece of paper if you do not know the material. The problem as I see it is some people want a quick certificate without the work, then blame the school when they still do not have the skills!!
Sincerely DD (Canada)
 4th of Nov, 2009 by   quizman +1 Votes
I received their brochures because I was interested in their PC repair program, it only states what they can provide for you but nothing about being a credited school. What's the point of paying $689 for tuition where I can go to the bookstore and find the textbooks I need. Then I can study on my own like the rest above mentioned but I am not getting anything out of it. I actully want to learn PC Repair for a Cert A+, that's the standard and it says nothing about it. I believe this is a scam and I am glad I read about it today!
 28th of Dec, 2009 by   schoollady +2 Votes
You can learn all you want- but if you can't do anything with the diploma- all of the learning was soley for self-improvement. A school must be accredited appropriately for the diploma/degree to have any value. A diploma with no value will keep you from entering a college that requires high school diplomas. Check accreditation- it's vital!
 14th of Jun, 2010 by   wanttolearn +1 Votes
I dont get it.. why on BBB this school gets a A+????? i have got mixed feelings from mixed comments???? So i am confused on weather i should trust this school or not.
 21st of Jun, 2010 by   They are Scam artist +2 Votes
I finished the High School Diploma course while I already had a 20 month old and was pregnant with another, even finished paying for the course. I got my High School Diploma ( or what they claim is a Diploma ) and was really happy thinking that I was the first of my siblings to do so. WRONG I went to enroll in college for Criminal Justice and found out that my diploma isn't even worth anything. If anyone knows how to go about getting Stratford Career Institue to acknoledge that they are scam artist and the scum of the earth for what they are doing I would love to know. I would even be willing to go help with a class action lawsuit against them. They are as bad as the scammers that call the elderly promising them lots of things for a small fee which ends up being not so small. They really need to be stopped and not allowed to have anything to do with education. If they want to educate people they should try educating themselves first.
 28th of Jun, 2010 by   the sercher +2 Votes
they are crooks plain and simple. i never signed a contract with them but they still want the entire tuiton fee. and they never mentioned to me that they were not accredited. now i am getting letters from a collection agency demanding all the money. not sure what to do. if ne one files a class action lawsuit i would love to help. i am trying to dig up as much dirt on them as possible and i found out that there is plenty of dirt on the net about them. these guys need to be taken down.
 6th of Sep, 2010 by   dominicIV -2 Votes
Those who complained about Stratford's accreditation are lazy morons who do not wish to do their "home work" i.e RESEARCH before enrolling into a school.

Once upon a time I had doubts about accreditation of this school, so I called Stratford's 1-800 number and spoke to a career counselor on the phone. I asked him a direct question and I got a direct answer. The answer was:"No, we are not accredited."
Then I made my decision based on this dialogue. I enrolled into Stratford's Police Science program, since I was pressed for time and needed knowledge, but more so, I needed something in my resume that would give me a Police and Security background a.s.a.p.
Before Stratford, I applied to the Military Forces for a military police training, but was rejected since I did not have any police education. I knew that my Stratford diploma would be but a worthless piece of paper, yet it got me into a Military Police training. According to "The Schools Catalogue" used in the Military Recruitment Center to determine an applicant's educational background, Stratford was one of the accepted schools (by their standards!!! N.B. Another employer may say "NO" to Stratford).

This is my humble advice to some of you:
Before you start pointing your finger at Stratford, look at what you have done to prevent the stupid situation you are in. I recon, you did nothing!!!
A Class action lawsuit against Stratford Institute will be just as pathetic as your diploma.
It's not a school's duty to "mention" to you that they were NOT accredited, but it's your duty to ask them if they are or aren't and research it afterwards.
 15th of Sep, 2010 by   Stacymarieb2 +2 Votes
My Dad went through them to get a High School Diploma. 3 years later when he applied for a state job, he was turned down because the diploma was in their words "no good".I think its very misleading for them to offer a high school diploma thats just a worthless piece of paper.
 19th of Oct, 2010 by   ST10 +1 Votes
So...let's see...

If "Dominic" applied to the MILITARY FORCES for military police training, one thing is clear: if you apply for military training, you're applying for the MILITARY, so in essence, you're ENLISTING, you're signing a contract for 8 years of your life, and they will train you in return. So you don't need Stratford Career Institute to give you a heads up on police training. Military Police is generally one of the easiest jobs to get in the military, no experience/education needed.

High School Diploma: If you're not getting a GED from an accredited school, nobody will accept the diploma. Basically, it's a waste of time to sink money into this with SCI due to the fact that career centers and community colleges around the world (even in your hometown!) will supply the GED at an affordable price.

Hands-on training career opportunities: Art, Auto Mechanics, Sewing & Dressmaking, Veterinary Assistant, anything else that a normal institute would have you in a specified environment for: Online education does not prepare you for much needed hands-on experience, therefore, any amount of information this school can provide for you may be moot. They can prepare you with textbooks, but even that preparation will not be worthwhile due to the fact that taking that knowledge to a community college or university would be redundant, therefore resulting in a waste of money.

Other training: Medical Transcription/Billing, Desktop Publishing and Design, Designing with AutoCad, Video Game Design: Anything having to do with computers, an online course could be beneficial, yet also redundant if accredited schools offered the same supplies/programs (which they do).

In summation of Stratford Career Institute, I feel that anything gleaned from this school, whether good or bad, would be helpful in the long run: be it "Don't trust anything online that requires investment" or "They sent me textbooks and supplies that aided in my training for an official certificate." The majority of reviews are also complaining about customer service, false advertising, collections and debts against them, not receiving supplies and training (BBB), yet they still manage to receive an A+ rating with said bureau.

Smart money is on do not enroll and invest in an education that you can receive from more credible and accepted institutions. All of the textbook training can be obtained at the local library at the student's leisure in preparation for the certification of choice. The majority of potential and former students of SCI have all stated one blaringly obvious fact: research is needed for any online certification "university".

Know what you're getting into.
 22nd of Dec, 2010 by   Confus3d 0 Votes
I don' t know what to believe... They say one thing... People say another. Stratford has been doing their job by sending textbooks etc... But I still have this feeling because when you request free info or enroll you also receive mail from other agencies like sweepstakes clearinghouse and credit union services and they seem like a scam to me and stratford is affliliated with these agencies calls them " business partners" so if a business is involved with scammers then I don' t thinl it' s an honest business but I don't know so if any one knows anything helpful please inform me...
 30th of Dec, 2010 by   gcteacher +2 Votes
I completely agree with this complaint!!! I am having the exact same issues with this institute. I never signed an agreement to pay them anything. I ordered a course over the phone and was told that after I received it I could review it and send it back if I wasn't satisfied. I ordered a computer programing course and was sent materials regarding basic computer facts that any high school graduate should know such as which part of the computer is the CPU, which part is the monitor, etc. I sent it back within two weeks of receiving it and they are charging me over $130 restocking fee. I am attempting to work with the BBB, but I am not having very good luck. I filled a complaint with them in September and have yet to hear anything at the end of December. This company needs to be shut down. I have had the rudest customer service reps from them then I have from any company I have ever had to deal with. Please listen to the warnings and don't get involved in their money making scams!!!
 10th of Feb, 2011 by   Crystalthomson713 +1 Votes
All I have to say, is when I started the program, I was probably a little bit ignorant. Didn't know much about accreditation etc. the most important thing to me was getting my high school diploma. I didn't know it mattered where it came from... that is the ignorant part. In fact I just learned that when I decided to further my education, recently. I enrolled in this university. I did everything I needed to do, completed the financial aid process, and all the student loan papers, chose my career path, decided the program I wanted to pursue. And I was ready to start in just 3 days. The next day though, I got a phone call from my student advisor...advising me that they could not have me at there school, because they just found out that my High school diploma was not accredited. This was a HUGE let down to me. Probably one of the biggest let downs in a long time...if not the biggest let down of my life! I had never thought college was an option for me, and I had never really been interested in college. And one day I woke up and decided it was. And everyday from that day on, I did everything it took to make it happen.

Some of you say "Dont blame Stratford, do your research" But I looked on the website even now, and you tell me WHERE DOES IT SAY whether or not they are accredited? It does not say so. Not everyone who goes through Stratford Career Institute is older. Some are just old enough to be able to take the courses. With that said, they probably have no idea what to look for, they probably just want to get there High school diploma so they can go to college. (Like me)

So maybe to some of you, who have already graduated gone to college etc. It doesn't seem necessary to post atleast somewhere whether they are accredited or not on there site, in a brochure etc... but it IS necessary because not everyone knows what to look for, and it should not have to be a huge let down, a huge waste of time, waste of money, etc... The fact is STRATFORD CAREER IS A SCAM. If they want to call themselves a business, they should act like a business and be a little more professional and put a WERE NOT ACCREDITED stamp up somewhere, and quit KNOWINGLY trying to scam people into there program.
 17th of Feb, 2011 by   ms.tilly 0 Votes
Its' a huge scam. They shipped the module late on purpose and the measly book they sent me was absurd. Its' basically basic information that can be found online. Near $700.00 for basic info, I don't think so. And the nerve of them to order me to return it if I choose to cancel it through certified registered mail (expensive) when I know they will come after me for a hundred something because the 14 period expired! How much money did I loose? Whatever you do, stay away from these scammers! Scam artists at their best.
 20th of Feb, 2011 by   seann 0 Votes
If they are not accredited then you are wasting your money--plain and simple..yes, you may be learning something new over the course period but the result is zero if your diploma isn't accredited...
 19th of Mar, 2011 by   george 594 0 Votes
Its cheaper to go to Barnes and Noble book store. My course with startford was copied out of a Barnes and Noble book. Everyone Take a good look at your Stratford books you will find no copyrights in them because they are copying them at Barnes and Noble books what ever course your taken go to Barnes and Noble and you will find the book they copied out of somewhere. They May not have copyrights . Theres your class action case
 31st of Mar, 2011 by   Unhappy now,, +1 Votes
I am taking the course Conservation/Environmental Sciences! So far I have believed this was going to be a good thing, I have been really happy of myself for working hard and studying. My grades are good!! But I came across this and now omgsh I don't know what to think!! I feel really down now! I'm a hard working girl just trying to further my education for a better job, one I would love! I'm really shut down now after reading all this and I am stuck! I don't know what to think or do about this now.. Months later and hundreds of dollars later I stumble upon this.. This whole time I was blind, now I'm going to research on this a little more! If this is all a lie, Ill kill myself... Someone can't go along thinking there finally doing something good for there life, and find out this whole time it's a scam???? NOT FARE!! What did I do to deserve this??
 24th of Jun, 2011 by   pdoracloset 0 Votes
I love SCI. I have been writing almost my entire life and I have never been more challenged than I have been with them. I find their staff to be knowlegable and my editor treats me like a person, not a number. They have been professional and courteous. I'm quite shocked to read this, actually.
 5th of Jul, 2011 by   ALBAH -1 Votes
HONESTLY i THINK THEY ARE A SCAM...MY OWN OPINION...I TRY TO CALL THEM AND GET SOME INFORMATION OUT ABOUT THE CONTRACT I SIGN AND THE LADY WHO WERE HELPING TELL ME I WAS INSULTING HER AND IF I WANTED ANY FURTHER INFORMATION TO SEAT DOWN AND CALL BACK...HOW CAN YOU BE INSULTING SOMEONE WHEN YOU ARE NOT CURSING, ETC...VERY PROFESSIONAL PEOPLE...NOT REALLY...I'M A VERY PEACEFUL PERSON SO I WILL LET IT GO..ONE DAY SOMEONE WOULD REPORT THEM TO THE BUSINESS BUREAU...I DONT BELIEVE ANYONE IS BEEN LAZY OR ANYTHING CLOSE TO THAT. I BELIEVE THEY HAVE ALL THE RIGHTS TO FEEL THE WAY THEY ARE FEELING WHEN YOU WANT TO CONTINUE YOUR EDUCATION AND YOUR HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA MEANS NOTHING FROM STRATFORD...ALSO ANYWHERE ON THEY'RE WEBPAGE SAYS NOT ACCREDITATION SCHOOL..WE GOTTA BE HONEST HERE SPENDING 600.00 DOLLARS FOR NOTHING IS VERY BAD...ONE AGAIN MY OWN EXPERIENCE WITH THIS SCHOOL...

ID Theft Can Damage Your Future