logo

Smyth Irish Setters
PO Box 67
Lakewood, Washington
geocities.com
Advertises AKC registered Irish Setters. Provided me dogs that are physically and psychologically damaged. Has been investigated in May 2006 by police for animal abuse. Many Irish Setters that go to Save Our Setters of Wisconsin come from Smyth Irish Setters. BEWARE. Investigate first.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

6th of Nov, 2008 by   Don King -1 Votes
It is my opinion that this guy is working for one of those puppy broker operations that disguises themselves as a "rescue" operations. These groups fool people into giving them money so they can go to dog auctions and buy dogs very cheap and resell them for big profits. Often they get dogs for nothing from people and sell them as well for big profits, calling it an adoption fee ($400 or $500 dollars is no adoption fee!) You can find these "rescue" operations on the internet whining about how they can't sell their dogs because breeders keep producing quality pets for people and most people would rather buy a healthy puppy directly from a repeatable kennel than to buy a pet from one of these puppy brokers, disguised as a "rescue" operations! They then go around the internet and post false accusations (legally know as liable or defamation or slander) in order to scare people from buying from repeatable breeders and come to them, where they will really get a puppy mill dog, since these folks buy their dogs from these type of operation in the first place. They often make false complains to police, so then they can say "the police investigated such and such a kennel" leaving out the fact that when the police investigated, they found the allegations made by these folks to be just FALSE.
I wrote this man and asked him several questions and he never answered me. Wonder why? I asked him why would he buy another dog from a breeder if the other dog you bought from them years ago was defective??? And incidentally, here is no such "rescue" operation registered in the state that he mentions. I then contacted the breeder and asked them if they ever sold a dog to this man, who goes by the name "Walter Wood". They said they have never heard of him. They said they are required to keep records of owners of their dogs by the AKC, and that the AKC inspects their kennel regularly. Furthermore, their dogs are guaranteed to be free from any congenital, life threatening defects. This breeder requires that if a dog is found with a congenital defect that the owner send a written statement along with the veterinarian's findings to them via registered mail and that they would replace the defective pet, if after inspection by their vet the animal if found defective. This man says his dog is "psychologically" damaged, one wonders how a dog could be psychologically damaged, especially since he has owned the dogs for a long time and got them when they were just little pups. Puppies are placed when they are just a few weeks old, if they become "psychologically damaged" they would have to have become that way because of the way the new owner was treating his pets for a long period of time. It is my opinion that this man is psychologically damaged himself! (If he really exists at all!)
Sincerely,
Don King
 8th of Nov, 2008 by   Reply 0 Votes
Simply reply to Don King's questionable support...call Irish Setter Rescue of Wisconsin or Save Our Setters to see if they recommend Smyth Irish Setters...they DON'T. Both have websites with email addresses and telephone numbers.
 9th of Nov, 2008 by   E. Bobel 0 Votes
ou, it is my opinion also that this guy is a real nut job, perhaps off his medications! Why would he go back to the breeder and buy another dog from them if the first one was defective? Yep, this guy is not playing with a full deck! One brick shy of a full load! Incidentally, the "rescue" group he mentions sold a dog to a lady I talked to from down south and she ended up spending over $25, 000. in vet's bills only for the dog to die. She only had it for about a year and it was dead! She then went to a breeder and purchased a happy, well adjusted, healthy dog. You know these "rescue" groups don't give you a guarantee like a breeder will. At least if you get a dog with a congenital defect from a breeder, you can get a replacement. So BEWARE or "Save our Setters" and other "rescue" operations such as them! They are animal rights terrorists, real wackos.
 10th of Nov, 2008 by   Jody Myers 0 Votes
I purchased a dog from Smyth kennels in March 2006. I personally went to pick her up, wanting a young but more than puppy mature Setter. The conditions the dogs are kept in are far less than ideal- huge groups of dogs kept OUTDOORS in northern WI, with only a run-in shed for shelter. The dogs were underweight, mine by 15 pounds, and had been eating straw out of hunger (vet verified). The woman told me outright that she had sold dogs with worms because she couldn't catch them all to vaccinate them. We never received papers because she told us they were wrong- that she had to dna test some of the dogs to prove paternity AFTER registering them. It took 6 months to socialize our dog until she wouldn't hide whenever anyone other than family was around. Oh- and she only deals in cash. PLEASE BEWARE of getting dogs from Smyth. Rescue one (and I believe Save Our Setters is an OUTSTANDING rescue organization- I've seen the lengths they are willing to go to save dogs others would have put down) or get one from a REPUTABLE breeder.
 10th of Nov, 2008 by   Eric +1 Votes
It seems that you are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, a lot a whining about nothing.
My dog eats grass all the time, so do most dogs. It is normal for dogs to eat grass, or in the spring about March, it would be dry grass (hay as you call it). Dogs that have a large outside place to run and play (as the kennel you describe) will eat the dry grass in it in spring and the green grass in the summer. Here is a quote from an article on the internet concerning why dogs eat grass (or hay):

"Are you concerned when your dog or cat eats grass, then throws up afterwards? You’ll probably feel relieved to know that pets eat grass because their bodies need it.
"Dogs and cats have been eating grass for a long time. In fact, grass is so popular among dogs that one species, dog grass, is named after them. Dog grass is also known as couch grass and quackweed, and it grows in all but the southern-most states.

As for worms in dogs, all dogs have worms. They are born with worms. It is natural for them to have worms. It is people who don't like the worms, so in very recent years they have invent worm medicines that kill worms. All wild dogs have worms. Anyone who has a dog know that they must deworm them regularly, especially kennel owners. The fact that dogs don't like to take worm medicine is quite natural, I have a hard time getting my dog to take his worm medicine as well. And mention the word "shot" in his presence and he will run and hide. Here is an article from the internet on worms:

"One of the issues that the majority of puppies have to deal with is worms. Most puppies are born with worms and they need to be taken to the vet for treatment (to be dewormed). [if you lack the will to deworm yourself] The vet will take a stool sample and check it for worm eggs. The most common worm found in puppies is the roundworm. These worms are caused by intestinal parasites that were transmitted from mother to puppy before birth or from mother's milk during feeding. Most vets recommend treating pregnant mothers with a deworming medication during the last weeks of pregnancy to decrease transmission. If left untreated heavy worm loads can seriously harm your puppy or dog."

Another thing, when you buy a mature dog from anyone, especially these from RESCUE operations, the dog will shy away from you and may take some time getting used to the new owner and environment. That is why most people buy them when they are LITTLE, so that they will BOND. It is obvious you know little about dogs, but like to complain a lot. Perhaps you just need a little therapy yourself, or perhaps an adjustment in your medications. If you don't like a kennel you shouldn't buy a dog from them. ...let alone buy two and whine about it. It looks more like ax grinding to me. Yes, the people here got you peged right. You have an agenda... and it is quite obvious to everyone here exactly what it is.
Eric
 12th of Nov, 2008 by   Reply 0 Votes
Seems like this complaint may have stirred up people that may be involved with Smyth Irish Setters. Both responses have very specific information known only to the Smyth Irish Setters business owner. I have talked with Forest County Humane Society personnel, Forest County Sheriff's Dept, Irish Setter Rescue of Wisconsin, Save Our Setters, the AKC, owners of Smyth dogs and locals that are intimately familiar with the operation. The suggestion stands...investigate fully before you buy. Visit the breeder at her facility and decide yourself. If you find it acceptable, good luck. If not, post your findings like Jody Meyers did above so others can make an informed decision.
 9th of Mar, 2009 by   Charles Frisk 0 Votes
There are a number of suspicious things about the Walter Wood blog criticizing Rose Smyth's Irish setter kennel. He lists the address of the kennel as Lakewood, Washington. Rose's kennel is located outside of Armstrong Creek, Wisconsin. Fifteen years ago she lived close to Lakewood, Wisconsin. I suspect Walter Wood is tied in with one of those overzealous "rescue" operations and was merely on a fishing expedition. There is no way he could actually have been to Rose's kennel.
I have had close contact with two setters from Rose's kennels. They have both been good hunting dogs and even better pets. One of the dogs was at our place for a week and my wife commented that it must have understood English because it seemed to understand everything we said and even better did everything we asked.
Rose's system is a little unorthodox compared to many kennels. She kennels all the males together and all the females. However many animal behaviorists maintain that this system is psychologically better for pack animals like dogs.
 15th of Apr, 2009 by   Steve Wercinski +1 Votes
Iam a practicing Vet. Tech. here in Michigan and Iam the proud owner of 6, yes 6 of Ms. Smyth's Irish Setters. They range in ages of 15 months up to 10 years old. I could not have been blessed with a better group of K9's. I have had no health issues at all with my dogs.
To top it off, Iam considering another one of Ms. Smyth's dogs in the near future. I can be contacted at duekla@yahoo.com if any comments.
Thank-you Steve
 18th of Apr, 2009 by   fourlocos +1 Votes
I also own a Smyth Irish Setter and he is wonderful. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. He is the best dog and gorgeous. Very healthy and just turned 2. I have no complaints what so ever.
 30th of Nov, 2009 by   R Rawlins +1 Votes
I lost my 10 yo Irish Setter "Cutter' last year and looked far and wide to find a puppy to fill the void. I worked with Rochelle at Smyth's and she gave my wife and I the opportunity to drive up to Wisconsin and choose a dog .. or more exactly let it choose us. We returned to Oak Park, with our new dog "Riley" and he is great. He is healthy, happy, smart, and loves people.. perhaps too much for his own good. He is very active and likes a daily walk with my wife and some high speed runs in the evening with me. He is great with kids. He is also an extremely handsome dog... at least based on the comments he gets every day while out meeting and greeting folks on his walk. He also likes to play with other dogs. We have had him a year now. To be honest, if I were a dog, I'd pretty much just like to stay with Rochelle at Smyths... acres of land to run about and dig holes and cavort with other dogs in the woods. A big barn with hay and heat to stay in cold weather. These are hunting dogs and they are supposed to be conditioned to handle the out of doors. I don't know why this guy is complaining about his dog from Smyth's, but based on personal experience and actually spending a day on site, I find his complaint very hard to believe. Riley is the fourth Irish Setter in our lives, spanning more than 30 years with this breed. We love Irish Setters and Riley is probably the best we've had. We are very happy to have him in our home. R.G. Rawlins Oak Park IL
 10th of Jun, 2010 by   Zen Peterson -1 Votes
I just had an experience so horrific with Smythe Kennels that I will now spend much of my summer documenting her vile establishment and maybe year(s) getting her put out of business. I'm a reporter, an investigative reporter - it'll be in a book-won't waste my words here when she and her posse are so clearly on this site disputing (with ridiculous fake charming stories) the very real claims against her. She is a puppy factory, clear as day, and a dog murderer as well. And that's just for starters.
 9th of Jul, 2010 by   Zen Peterson -1 Votes
Smythe setters is a sickening organization with genuinely evil people running in. Never has the term Puppy Mill been more appropriate. The horrific woman Roselle who runs the joint posted nearly all of the posts above that criticize her critics. Her main MO is to accuse any critic of being a "Nut Job"--well folks, when you go to her place make sure you look in the dumpsters. She regularly kills dogs she doesn't like the looks of or that have any easily treatable conditions. She does not treat them, she's lets them suffer and die. Or she shoots them in the head. Don't take my word for it. Call every vet within a 50 mile radius of her in Laona Wis. and ask their opinion. Then call the Forest County sheriff and ask about the animal abuse charges. In fact call anybody with any authority within 50 miles and you'll get the same report back. That report is BEWARE! Smyth setters is sickening!
 2nd of Aug, 2010 by   Peter Peter Pumkin Eater +1 Votes
...
 2nd of Aug, 2010 by   Peter Peter Pumkin Eater +1 Votes
Zen Peterson is an alias used by the owner of a blog www.peterhansen.com
He is no more of an investigative reporter than I am the King of Chicago.
Read it and try to figure it out yourselves.
And if you really want to fry your brain, read his other blog http://peterhansenscam.blogspot.com/
I guess Peter aka Zen aka Walter Wood sort of slipped up on the Washington thing, but easy to see why as he lives in Washington state.
 3rd of Aug, 2010 by   maunz +1 Votes
i live in toledo & bought a female from smyth's very sweet & very healthy puppy gets hiper @ night but my obedience trainer states this is normal. i found rose smyth very helpful in helping me pick out the puupy that best suited me.
 5th of Aug, 2010 by   Zen Peterson -1 Votes
8040 Newald Tower Road, Armstrong Creek, WI--
This is where her horrible puppy mill is--this hideous woman is now breeding "doodles!" SETTER DOODLES!!--- ask about her "dumpster special" where the dogs she kills (deer rifle when she doesn't like the way they look) --- go there! maybe you can save one before it dies-- This place is a LIVING HELL for man and beast---- but DONT TAKE MY WORD-- don't call first--- just go--- she'll have about a hundred or more dogs in sickening conditions---
--she tries to discredit anybody who criticizes her barbaric and evil practices--- usually by calling everyone a NUTCASE or "Off their MEDS" if they don't approve of her SICKENING pup factory---
 5th of Aug, 2010 by   Tim who's been there +1 Votes
First off, PETER, is that you screwed up. They aren't in Washington, YOU are in Washington. Oops heh?
Second, Smyth Setters doesn't have dumpsters large enough to hold a dog. You wouldn't know that because YOU have never been there. They have regular household dumpsters, and if you knew anything about Forest County you would know that they look through contents before putting them into their garbage trucks.

Secondly, if you were to ever looked through Forest County's police blotter, you'd would know that that there has never been an investigation, nor have they ever been called out to Smyth Setters. You can view the blotter dating back to the year 2000.

Here is another blogsite exposing "Zen Peterson" or Peter Hansen as his real name is.

As for anyone wondering what this "Zen Peterson" is up to, just go to www.peterhansen.com. He's a little, um, loose in the head.
His known email screen names are
VashonArtStudio@aol.com
Bendbikes@aol.com
Writebetternow@aol.com
CoachellaLodging
Deserthomerentals
Eastcalifornia
Majordogguy
And many many others.

Now, how many of you believe a guy that is from the state of Washington, has never set foot in Wisconsin, nor has ever been on the property of Smyth Setters?

Oh, he also posts on http://peterhansenscam.blogspot.com/2008/05/my-story-mysterious-1100-deposit.html?commentPage=2

As the following:
Art4Art
b
Informant
and others that he has removed.
 5th of Aug, 2010 by   Zen Peterson -1 Votes
Yeah yeah yeah loose in the head- nuts..loony---yeah whatever Roselle/Tim/Smyth------you sure spend a lot of time on websites doing damage control, calling everybody a wacko---if I posted all the screenames you use on the web I'd have to start up a whole new internet!---POINT IS Smyth setters is a puppy mill, Roselle is a hideous puppy mill operator -- these days she spends more time on the internet trying to cover her ass--anyway--who cares who Zen is, who Peter is, who diddlysquat is? --- what's witrh all the deflecting?--- go check it out.The puppy mill--- Like I said, nobody has to believe me, just take a drive up. Address posted above---
---
I'm not clueless that you were going to do this smear campaign---I'm fully aware of what I incurred--- and now you're fighting mad because you've been exposed--- so go for it! We're meeting in court soon as you know-- I'm a worthy foe, you're old with a lot of dogs to find homes for (what do you do with the unsold ones by the way)-----BUT YOU ARE STILL A PUPPY MILL!
 6th of Aug, 2010 by   Tim who's been there +1 Votes
I have been to Smyth Setter numerous times. As another posted, there are no dumpsters that a dog would fit into. You, however, PETER HANSEN of VASHON, WASHINGTON have never set foot there! And news flash, Puppy Mills are NOT illegal in Wisconsin. They are frowned upon but not illegal. If you really gave a rats patoot about Puppy Mills then you should check out the Wisconsin puppy mills that are owned and run by the Amish and Mennonites.

Let's see, you spend all your waking hours posting ludicrous mentally ill ramblings on your blogger www.peterhansen.com
You spend endless hours trying to post your smear campaigns on Craigslist, only to have them flagged
You spend endless hours on the PETER HANSEN SCAM site under ridiculous names yet on your website, nobody is allowed to make a statement except for your made up supporters.

Now, as far as Smyth Setters goes, WHY DON'T YOU GO THERE AND SEE IT PERSONALLY? Yep, didn't think so. Didn't think you would.

As far as your publisher goes, does he know about all this crap you are perpetuating? Or will he know? Yes, he'll know.

I retired in May of this year. I have the rest of my life to follow you around and make sure the world knows what you are really about.

You, however have lost the respect of anyone that knows or knew you.
You have lost the respect of the literary community.
You have, or will soon, lose the respect of your employer.
You have lost the respect of people that want to shut down the really horrendous puppy mills, i.e. the ones run by the Amish.
Again, if you knew anything about the state of Wisconsin, it is NOT ILLEGAL to run a puppy mill there. It is FROWNED UPON but now illegal.

If Roselle is doing anything illegal, which I doubt, all your posts have been sent to her and she is well aware of all of it. So IF there are any ill or dying dogs, and I say IF, they will not be around during any sort of investigation as Rose sends the ill ones to a foster home.

Now take your psychotropic drugs and go to sleep.
 6th of Aug, 2010 by   Dale Krautkramer 0 Votes
Here is the link to the Wisconsin Court records for ALL cases, criminal, civil, drunk driving, etc. etc. Wisconsin is an open records state. As you see, if you enter her name...nothing
Enter SMYTH under business name and again, nothing...

Fruitcake