logo

OREO COOKIES
NO FILLING N TASTED BAD
3. (26 mins ago)
Euro Pro Shark Steam Cleaner
Machine suddenly stopped working.
4. (27 mins ago)

Posted:    Dave

Fraud and cheating

Slomin's Shield
slomins.com
Slomin's Shield offers a free alarm system installation. The problem is you better not move within 5 years!

We contacted a sales person for Slomin's a little over a year ago to come out to our home to go over the product and the contract with us. Michael Hoyle was who came out to talk to us. Apparently, in order to receive the free installation, you have to sign up for 5 years. Knowing that we would not be in this home for five years we SPECIFICALLY asked if we would be able to transfer service. Mr. Hoyle said it would not be a problem. I also asked him if there would be any cost to us. He assured us that there would be no cost at all for the move. Great! So we signed up.

Here it is 16 months later and we're getting ready to move. So we called Slomin's Shield and let them know. To our surprise we were told that it would cost us $600 to move our contract! We couldn't believe it! Also we were told that if we wanted to cancel there is no early termination fee that we actually have to pay for the remaining contract ALL 44 MONTHS!! I mean even cell phone companies only make you pay an early termination fee, but not Slomin's, it's the whole amount. So the choices we were given were either pay $600 just to continue with them or $1200!

When we told them that our sales person said they there wouldn't be a fee their response was basically ‘oh well, he was wrong.' We're willing to keep their service after we move for another almost 4 years and they want to charge us for that? No one there is willing to help us. I have been unable to get a hold of our sales person. Apparently this is the old ‘tell the customer what they want to hear in order to get the deal.'

Unless you are 100% sure that you are not moving in the next 5 years (and I mean without a shadow of a doubt) then I highly suggest that you do not sign up with this company. They are unwilling to help and have very poor customer service. On top of that their alarm service isn't even that good! There have been quite a few instances when the alarm went off for over a minute and no one called us at all. Again, make sure you know what you're getting into before you let their in-home sales person sell you a lemon.
Comments United States Security Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More Slomin's Shield complaints
Slomin's Shield - Do not purchase

Comments

13th of Jan, 2009 by   dcgirlnmd 0 Votes
Hi Dave:
I had a similar incident where a Slomins rep recently. I have contacted my attorney to assist with this matter. If you wouldnt mind leaving me your name and contact infor, would you mind assisting me with a very similar issue by submitting a written affidavit of what occurred to you and your family? Please let me know... It would be greatly appreciated...My name is Lyn, by the way :-)
 16th of Feb, 2009 by   jerseygirl 0 Votes
Dec 2006 our upstairs bedroom burned. It was a covered up arson. Because I had an alarm system in place with Slomin's I had a weak case. Actually, I had no case as I could not prove the alarm was shut off. I found out my alarm was not working properly a long time after with a slip of the tongue. A wire and solvent were used but even the investigator tried to say it was caused by a space heater that definitely was off and plugged into a different wall. What did not burn was stolen and they knew what to hit as our home was entered before the fire. I found a lock box lock reversed as if a left handed person had replaced it. There were other tell tale signs but Slomin's always assured me the alarm was on. I found out later it was not seizing into the main office. I put in a back up system but I still don't feel safe. No other alarm co. will talk to me while I am under contract.
It was well organized. To be homeless in the winter with a partially paralyzed sister was horiffic.
When the fire hit the wall to the jack, the phones went out and so did the alarm which most likely was not being relayed to Slomin's.
 16th of Feb, 2009 by   Anna 0 Votes
We have a similar problem. We are tying to cancel the poor services provided by SLOMIN"S but due to a 5 year contract either we pay $1100.00 (eleven hundred dollars) for cancelation fees or continuing paying. What a fraud! In 2004 our contract for 5 years expired and we were on a month to month contract but, due to poor service we were planning to cancel the service. As a result we received a visit from one of the sales person from Slomin's (John Bauer), who never explained about a new contract and the cancelation fees . As a result we signed under the assumption that our system was being upgraded but what we were signning was another contract for another 5 years.
 28th of Feb, 2009 by   Jim 0 Votes
Give safemart.com a look They will gladly takeover your Slomins system for about $10 a month. No long term contracts, you can cancel at anytime. I get alot of customers like yourself that are very unhappy with Slomins, as well as ADT, Brinks, Bell South, and Monitronics.
 2nd of Jun, 2009 by   Kim 0 Votes
I had Slomins Alarm service installed on August 11, 2009. the service never worked properly. I call several times for their assistance, but they never could accommodate my busy schedule. They also caused some additional electrical damage to my home during the 12 hour installation. To make a long story short, they charged me for a service that was inoperable from the beginning and now charged me 1700.00 for a service that I never received.
 11th of Aug, 2009 by   joe12345 -1 Votes
Slomins Inc A++

Some of these reviews are ridiculous! First of all, Slomin's is family owned, and has been since 1923!!The equipment used by Slomins is cutting edge and up to all industry standards. Fact: Slomin's employees are thoroughly trained and experienced in all aspects of their jobs. Ive had a slomins system for 12 years and have never had a single problem. Installation was neat and clean, service extremely efficient and their customer service is extraordinary. I also have worked with Christopher Vitale in the oil department and he is sweetheart, knowledgeable and understands his customers needs. Any one who has not looked at the contract, shame on you for not reading the terms and conditions. I use Slomins for heating and security they are #1

Joe
New York
 12th of Aug, 2009 by   tara5 +1 Votes
To Joe,

You cannot say that other reviews are ridiculous! Just because you have good service from Slomin's doesn't mean that your the majority. After reading the comments obviously you are NOT!! I, too, have issues with Slomin's and cannot wait until my contract is over!!! the are a fraudulent company and something need to be done about it.
 11th of Jan, 2010 by   jobeyman 0 Votes
Lyn

Are you still pursuing Slomins regarding your alarm issue? I am having the same issue. I wrote a letter to Slomins President Jason Schwartzman, their Legal Council and cc'd as well at reported my complaint to the Better Business Bureau, the Westchester Counter Department of Consumer Protection and the Attorney General State of New York of Consumer Frauds and Protection.

It got their attention. But their response was in no way indicative of my letter which was similar to the above complaint. Instead they sent a technician to my new house, deemed the alarm system in place as not compatible (which their salesman already did), cancelled the account at the old house and sent me a bill for 1658.76 cents.

How is it working out for you?
 1st of Feb, 2010 by   Carltun1 +1 Votes
What a joke the guy supporting Slomins is. Give me a break. What is your job at the company fella? This company reeks from their cheesy commercials to their creepy cold callers here in Long Island. Sometimes you can have a lousy cold and still smell the rats out there. Having said that, people, you cannot be lazy and trust frauds who want your money without any concern about the quality of service they provide. Read the contracts !! Never assume. Also, let them sue you. IF you have a customer service complaint or you were defrauded by a lying sales rep, tell they to stick it. If they sue, let the judge decide, file a Better Business complaint, check with the Public Service Commission of New York (if they fall under the jurisdiction of PSC and are up to no good, they will get a butt kicking from the state and risk huge fines). Also, if you are afraid to be sent to collections and get reported to Experian etc., keep all your records and dispute that too. Don't cave in to these douch bag frauds folks.
 12th of Mar, 2010 by   Savage Animal 0 Votes
As a tecnician who has worked for Slomin's for 10 years I will agree that sometimes customer service can be difficult to deal with. With that being said everyone of us is a Slomin's employee and will do our best to make you happy. Some of us are more talented installers then other's and some of us have more manners and some have more knowledge then others, but we are all trying to do our job to the best of our ability.

To the complaintent who's phone line was not "seized", if your system were not connected to central station then C/S never could have retrived the event log that states your system was or wasn't armed. Further more unless the Arsonist knew your code he couldn't disable the system, there is no master kill code to disable the alarm. I'm sorry that happend to you, but your radio backup will definitely communicate in the event of a phone line failure.

To Dave, who seems to have posted this same EXACT complaint under several names at several web site's (does that seem fishy to anyone else?) To my knowlegde there is no fee to transfer your service to a new home, as long as you are moving in our service area.

To Jim, as a technicain with the company for ten years, we will not just make you sign a contract for 5 years and not give you something in return, so your not reporting fairly. You recieved something for that contract, and if you are still experiencing problems I urge you to call C/S and demand an A technician come to your home to resolve the situation.

To Joe 12345 I'm sorry you had that experience with us, we try to be as flexable as possible with our scheduleing but you have to realize there are only so many of us to cover a huge area, we are not Verizon or Cablevision and don't have the same amount of techs in the field as they do.
 13th of Mar, 2010 by   Savage Animal 0 Votes
Just to prove my point I found this review at /URL removed/

Notice the body of the text and the names reporting them and the locations

Earl
Crofton, Maryland
U.S.A.
 24th of Mar, 2010 by   bhbcomplaints 0 Votes
Re: Slomins Inc A++
Joe
New York

Joe's comment is pasted verbatim all over these Slomins complaint boards (kind of sad there are so many complaint boards for one lousy company, huh?) Joe is some toady for slomins, so ignore his pointless comments.

I am generating a class-action lawsuit against the company for their usury cancellation policy. Anyone interested pls contact me

b
 10th of Apr, 2010 by   mjm1998 0 Votes
I have had service with Slomin's for over 4 years and I think their service is great. They explained everything in detail when they first came out. They hooked the system up soon after, quickly, and neatly, and the tech was very helpful. We had only one problem with the smoke detector, it malfunctioned, we called them, and the next day they came and fixed it, free due to equipment protection plan I have. There haven't been any other problems yet. Their price isn't bad, I pay $103.00 every 3 months for monitoring, and equipment protection. I even emailed them a few days ago to ask a question and they called me within the hour. I'm not saying that these complaints aren't valid, but I myself am very happy with their service.
 7th of May, 2010 by   keithg 0 Votes
my home burned down feb2010 i called to tell them this. they were at first sorry for my loss. they wanted to make a appoinment to see the home? i said what? the home is burned down there is nothing to see. so they sent someone anyway. they turned around and said i was not there? duh? now they want me to pay 1300 for the equipment./service. ? i said
wait a minute, you have no compassion for my situation? i refused to pay this. now they wantto charge me interest on the so called balance. no i have been calling them making a pain out of myself. they are ignorant. i was willing to pay forthe service charge. there is no
ammendent in the contract for or loss of home. i m living with my parents. they have not called back. instead they send a bill. next step is a attorney. sue my nieghbor and sue slomin sheild
 2nd of Nov, 2010 by   John Hamilton 0 Votes
It's absolutely true that if you move and you are still under contract that you have to pay the remaining balance of your contract. I moved in 2008 and had the problem at closing. We almost got the new homeowner to take over the contract but she backed out last minute and didn't want their service. So we had no equipment and no security but still got to pay for it all.
 17th of Jul, 2012 by   mikejoann 0 Votes
I have had Slomin's in PA for over 5 yrs. I have had no real problems with them. My smoke alarm went out twice and both times they sent someone out and had it fixed with no hassle, I have the protection ins. Other than that nothing yet. I'm not really understanding why some people think that, even though they signed a contract, they should be able to move and get out of it, have it transferred and what? have Slomin's let their equipment in the current house, even though as part of the contract you agreed to continue monitoring with them for 5 yrs. Do you expect them to put new equipment into the new house and just continue your contract where you left off? I don't know why ppl agree to something then when they want to get out of it, just expect the company to do what they want. It's not the company's fault, it's yours. And NO, I do NOT work for Slomins, it just agrivates me that people sign contracts and then when they want to change it and the company refuses, they bash the company. It's not right.
 22nd of May, 2013 by   Phil123456 0 Votes
I agree with the complaint to a degree. I had to move for a really good reason, but Slomins wanted to charge me ~ &1300+. I explained the situation clearer, and they zero'd the balance. They will listen to you if your reason is valid.
 13th of Nov, 2013 by   psd 69 0 Votes
What happened to customer service? Slomins is awfull. My alarm never worked properly from day one. on the day I signed the contrat I asked I asked the sales rep if there is any charge for re conecting doors and windows, dut to the face that I will be replacing them in the near future, He said no Slomins has to maintain a working system for us al all times so I agreed, well they wanted to charge me to re connect the doors and windows, so I stoped paying and they canceled my contract due to non payment and are suing for money due for the term of the extensive 5 year contract. If you are one of the smart ones that read all the very small print on the contract where Slomins has all the rights and the customer has none (including the ability to file a counter suit) and if you do end up winning the case Slomins is not responsible for your attorney fees. well you are a sucker just like most of us.

Are You A Shopaholic?