logo

Lease Finance Group
Fraud
3. (26 mins ago)
Universal Survey Center
Request to stop unsolicited phone calls
4. (28 mins ago)
Arizona Parrots
No contact with them since payment
5. (55 mins ago)
BEWARE! FRAUD! Christs Church of the Valley - CCV CHURCH Peoria AZ - CCVONLINE.COM
Church Leadership Continues to Allow Felon Member to Ripoff Members

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Silestone Quartz Surfaces, Mendota Height, Minnesota Complaints & Reviews - Does not honor warranty against defects!

Silestone Quartz Surfaces Contacts & Informations

Silestone Quartz Surfaces

Posted:    homeremodel

Does not honor warranty against defects!

Silestone
2425 Water Drive
Mendota Height, Minnesota
Phone: 651.683.9672
We purchased a Silestone quartz surface countertop in 2002 with a ten year warranty. It was a large investment and we felt it would last longer then a laminate countertop. However, we found a defect in the stone (chip) within six months and now we have two cracks and a seam that is easily noted.

The installer said not to worry about the initial chip in the countertop and said we had the ten year warranty to do anything about it. The choice I had was to drill a hole into the countertop and replace the area where the chip is in the countertop and I was afraid it would look worse then it does now.

We contacted Home Valu in the summer of 2007 and they sent out the installers who actually sent the pictures and description of the cracks to the Silestone warranty department. In September 2007, we received a letter from Oscar Jimenez, General Manager, stating the cause of the cracks was due to "settlement of your home" and would not be covered under the Silestone Limited Warranty. Our house was fifteen years old when the countertop was installed and this would not be an issue. I question if I would put this product in a new home since homes do settle in the first year. We have placed no heated objects on our countertop, however, one crack is close to the dishwasher.

I have been in contact with Home Valu, where we purchased the countertop, and they contacted Silestone also. Home Valu manager said a Silestone representative was to call and set up at time to look at the Silestone countertop in our home, however, we've never heard from them (September 2007). I have my third call to Home Valu to inquire why we have not heard from Silestone.

Silestone is an expensive product and in my opinion, Silestone is not living up to their warranty. Unless they change and honor their warranty, I would not purchase this product. I would also be concern placing this product into a new home due to the Limited Warranty which Mr. Jimenez stated would not cover "cracks due to structural movement, settlement of your home, building etc.
Comments United States Home & Garden
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

1st of Jul, 2008 by   Jenny 0 Votes
I had a Silestone countertop installed in my new home in 2007. After a year of use, it showed circle marks everywhere and it is completely cloudy. The product has made my once beautiful kitchen into an eyesore. I get so mad everytime that I look at it when the light shines in from the windows.

Silestone warranty is a bunch of garbage!! They will find any excuse that they can not to honor their warranty. Apparantly all problems are because of something that the homeowner did to the countertop. I am absolutely furious, and I am planning on putting a monstrous sign out front of my house about the inadequacies of Silestone! Don't install it in anything at all!!
 15th of Jul, 2008 by   Susan 0 Votes
We purchased a Silestone countertop through Home Depot and it was installed by Silestone if Atlanta. We have had several problems with Silestone of Atlanta and do not want to deal with them. Their installer did an improper job and their representative gave us the run-around. We had a large area of counter unsupported behind the sink and the installer propped it with two "sticks" (1/2 x 1/2) thinking we would never see it. When we where finally able to convince someone else from Silestone of Atlanta to inspect the work He agreed that is was poorly done and fixed the problem. This was the worst issue.

We where told by the representative that the countertop is so hard it will dull your knives, yet about a week ago when unloading the dishwasher we accidentally hit the counter with a glass "glass" and the glass is fine but the countertop chipped. I called Home depot and told them what had happened and told them I was concerned that it had chipped so easily and wanted to find out if it could be repaired. The only thing Home depot told us was that the same installer who tried to hide a poor instillation us would fix it for 75$ when he was "in the neighborhood" and no explanation was given as to why the counter would chip so easily. We where also told that the warranty does not cover chips!
 2nd of Aug, 2008 by   Kris Fenton 0 Votes
I installed silestone just over a year agao and also have chips, scratches and discoloring. I am contacting Silestone to request a resolve as Home Depot has been less than helpful to this point. I will post my experience.
 7th of Aug, 2008 by   Santos F. 0 Votes
Home Depot is the worse, the worse. We installed Silestone in our kitchen about 1 year ago. It looks beautiful until we realized that it was scratched (days after the installation). Since it had the warranty..., we did not worry thinking we would call them and they would came out and maybe polish it or something like that. Not at all, it took an array of phone calls to every inept employee in Home Depot, including the so call mgrs. The issue was explained at least 10 times (I consider more than 2 times too much). I asked several times to speak to the mgr of the store and every time I was told he would call within 24 hours and up until now, I am still waiting for their call. I was so upset with them that I stop calling and my wife took over the attempt contact. She was bounce around so much that she gave up as well. She even suggested that we would look for outside help to repair the countertop, but I was determined to make that warranty work. To make this very long story short, it is almost a year and they have not cover the warranty. one employee even call me at one time to ask me what I wanted because her mgr told her to call me to find out ( %$OI$UO#$ ) yeap!...I almost pull the hairs off my skull. I told her to let her mgr know that unless it was him calling me, to not send anyone else anymore to do his job and I hung up. Weeks later I rcvd a letter from Home Depot telling me that scratches were cover under the warranty and they provide tips about the care of the stone. I was furious and ready to go the stone off my counters, and take it to smash it in their customer care desk, but my wife stop me and we left it like that. She said my health was not worth their millions and since then, we are always telling people about our experience and how bad they are. We lose no opportunity to tell everyone that is willing to hear it. We are trying very hard not to give them business at all. I have not given up and I know one day, there will be a collective lawsuit against them and I will be part of that. SF
 18th of Nov, 2008 by   KJ 0 Votes
Thank you all. I was considering using Silestone for my countertop. You made a believer out of me - I'll be sure not to use it. And yes, I have also vowed never to use Home Depot again for any type of home improvement, I also had a bad experience with them. To their credit, they did eventually rectify the problem after several attempts and phone calls. Try your local "call-for-action" or otther TV news complaint help-line service.
 10th of Dec, 2008 by   homeremodel 0 Votes
I am the original posted message and I am providing an update. With the help of great personnel at Home Valu, Silestone will be honoring our warranty. I am grateful for this since the cracks have extended across the counter and it now catches dirt and shows more. I hope the new counter-top will not have any issues.

Thank you Home Valu for your assistance.
 8th of Feb, 2009 by   mansman918 0 Votes
I have sileston countertops. I AM VERY UNHAPPY WITH SYLESTON. This sileston surface was suppose to be right under a diamonds in hardness. THIS IN NOT TRUE. Sileston chips with a bump of a pot. The colors are grest but, I will go back to a laminate. The laminate in the hous I bought had been here 40 years, no cracks, no stains and now after spending 5000. I have chips and yes there is a warrenty but I have to take time from work. I would not buy silestone if you are looking for new kitchen surfaces.
 5th of Mar, 2009 by   John 0 Votes
We purchased a new home in 2004 with Silestone countertops. In early 2005 we found a crack over the dishwasher. The original installer came back and did a repair. That lasted a few weeks then the crack returned but we have not been able to get the installer back. We contacted the local Silestone office and they finally got another installer to visit our home.

He wanted to put in a new countertop that we would pay for since he said it would be impossible to match the rest of the counter if he only replaced the cracked piece. Then he seemed to disappear.

We now have contacted a third installer who is working with Home Depot. He came looked and discovered another crack that would now require them to replace the entire countertop. Like all the other posters we have not done anything to create these problems other than normal usage of a countertop. After four years of runaround by various people representing Silestone I am ready to bring a class action suit against a company who refuses to honor their warranty.

If anyone would like to join me please send me your information and the problem you have had with your countertop. I work with a lot of attorneys and feel that we could find someone willing to tackle this issue.

Thanks, John Beane and send emails to jbeane@johnbeane.com
 19th of May, 2009 by   arunda 0 Votes
Silestone promotes their product as manufactured from quartz. In fact, several of their colors including coffee brown, absolute green, the stellar series and Dali are made with more than 35% recycled glass. They do not provide information in their marketing literature to indicate that these colors are made with glass. Glass is similar to quartz, but does not have the same durability. Silestone has an obligation to consumers to provide accurate information on their products.
 28th of Sep, 2009 by   counterissues01 0 Votes
Surprise, surprise, , , I had Silestone installed 4 years ago. Wish I would have gone with Granite because we now have a 24" crack coming off the very sharp corner cutout for the stovetop. Silestone says it isn't a manufacturing defect and not there problem. Home Depot says it isn't their problem and they only have a ONE year (read the fine print on the contract) installation warranty says it isn't an installation issue. SIlestone blames it on thermal shock or house slab settling. BULL!! The crack has gone ACROSS a cemented joint into another section of Silestone, The crack started in a sharp corner cutout of the cooktops smallest burner. This burner is also used the least. The other three corners are fine but all four corners were cut in with very sharp corners. In my opinion, this crack is due to the sharp corners of the cutout instead of the installer radiusing the corners. Also, the countertop is staining/fading near the faucet area. Has anyone out there experienced a crack coming off a cooktop corner? I'm not giving up. Someone is going to replace this thing or give me my money back! Mr. John Beane, I am ready to join a class action lawsuit!! It also looks like the common thread here is Silestone, Home Depot and no one honoring anything.
 31st of Oct, 2009 by   keepthemhonest 0 Votes
We've experienced the exact same issue as counterissues01, a crack from the corner of a stove and denial of warranty based on thermal shock. Home Depot however is going to bat for us to try to get this covered. Silestone is of course not returning even their calls, so we'll see. John Beane, we will likely be contacting you too.
 2nd of Nov, 2009 by   tmor 0 Votes
Has anyone moved forward with a class action lawsuit. We two have Silestone and have replaced it twice due to cracking at the stovetop cutout. It has now cracked again.
 1st of Jan, 2010 by   lizzy2010 0 Votes
I purchased coffee brown Silestone countertops about 6 mos ago. I purchased the Silestone because the EXPO rep had told me I could take hot pans off the stove and serve them up directly on the countertop. WRONG! I placed a hot pan momentarily on the counter and when I removed it, a circular sparkly glass crystal ring was left behind. It seems the heat softened the binding agent and the glass crystals raised to the surface. I was HORRIFIED! After looking around the place more closely, I discovered other less-pronounced semi-circles of glass crytals around the kitchen.

After reading the warranty, I'm sure they will call it thermal shock despite clearly stating that "moderately hot" pans can be momentarily set on the counter.

I already recieved a sizable discount on the countertop since I had a very bad installation experience through Home Depot, so I'm going to have to just live with it.

What a let down. I feel like I have to be so cafeful with what I thought was the most durable countertop out there.
 11th of Feb, 2010 by   jenngavia 0 Votes
I had Silestone installed in a new home in 2006. I now found a crack from the corner of the stovetop cutout. The installer is coming to inspect next week but I bet they tell me it's from settling or thermal shock...however, it started underneath the stovetop! It is obvious to me it is from the stove cutout.
 30th of Mar, 2010 by   PMacy 0 Votes
I've had my Silestone for less than a week and have small chips and cuts, and I've been very careful with it. Home Depot is also involved. I'm wondering if a "common" denominator is the 2 cm (which I have) and not the 3 cm Silestone . . .
 31st of Mar, 2010 by   lizzy2010 0 Votes
I have the 3cm and haven't had any problems with cracking or chipping.
 13th of Aug, 2010 by   Bopongranny 0 Votes
We have had out silestone for 5 years and was told it had a 15 yr warranty. Over the winter we noticed a crack and contacted Silestone. Silestone sent out a rep who then told us that it was not properly shimmed. Of course the installer, who they recommened, said that was not the case and asked if we placed hot items on the counter. Directly...the answer is NO however...we do use an electric griddle to make pancakes. Perhaps this is what they refer to as thermal shock but...where else am i suppose to make pancakese...I did not have silestone installed just so that i could make pancakes on my cheap formica in my basement kitchen. Never in my life would i ever recommend this product to anybody. They misled me and denied my warranty. The kitchen store that i bought it through has also quit selling this product because according to them...it is NEVER Silestones fault. Ridiculous!!!
 18th of Jan, 2011 by   thesusanford 0 Votes
We had Silestone installed September, 2008. Just noticed a crack coming from a sharp angle where two pieces meet. Pacific Stone Design, the original installer, states it was caused by impact (I know better) or stress coming off a seam caused by shifting or settling. Not covered under warranty. The installer said it could be repaired by making the crack larger, drilling a hole at the end of the crack and filling it all with epoxy. Altho they claim no liablity they will do this free of charge. I am inclined to have them replace the entire piece but it might be a noticable difference in colors due to age factor. Does anyone have any experience with the crack being filled? Any experience with changing entire sections of a countertop resulting in a bit color difference? Is John Beane still thinking of a law suit?
 27th of Feb, 2012 by   JoMar4552 0 Votes
We purchased a Silestone counter-top called Vanite, which is a trademark name of the manufacturer Vangura. The purchase was made on November of 2010, through IKEA. Yesterday (Sunday, February 27, 20120), while cleaning the counter-top after breakfast, I noticed a 1/4" circular spot on the surface that I could not remove by cleaning. I tried several times to remove the spot with recommended cleaning materials, including a cleaner developed especially for Vangura, for use on products engineered with Silestone. Needless to say the spot could not be removed and further examination with a bright light indicated that it was in fact, no ordinary spot. And it wasn't going to be removed by normal cleaning procedures recommended by the manufacturer. The counter-top has never been exposed to any of the conditions that would void the warranty. So imagine my surprise when I called Vangura only to be told that it would cost me $92.00 per hour to have someone come out and check on the spot. The representative I talked to said I should try using a combination of Bar Keepers Friend and lacquer thinner to try and remove the spot before she sends someone out. She warned me that it might take several hours to fix this spot because it's not covered under the Limited 15-Year WARRANTY. I tried explained once again that it was not a spot that could be removed by mere cleaning. The spot is void of surface material, lacks the sheen of the surrounding polished surface, and appears porous to the touch. So, I'm going to hold back on her recommendation to try Bar Keepers Friend and lacquer thinner unless I can get that recommendation in writing. I can tell by my initial contact that it will take a great deal of time(Patience) and hoop jumping(Persistence) to get these people to honor a warranty. I'll keep you posted.
 27th of Feb, 2012 by   PMacy 0 Votes
Interesting. Before I "signed off" on my counter, the installers came back to deal with "imperfections" I'd noted. They actually "sanded" them away and told me the top isn't just a "finish" but goes all the way through. So when I've had spots similar to what you describe, I've taken a counter cleaner and my scrubbie to them and they've gone away. Have you been that aggressive with them yet?

Online Holiday Shopping: 5 Pitfalls