December 8, 2009.
I changed my mind about the purchase of a security system from Protect America. I had buyer’s remorse. I expect to be out-of-town for an extended period (10 days) during the holidays. Currently, I have security from my current provider and I know how this service work. Though I was impressed with their offer; I just didn’t want to deal with any circumstance that could arise while I was away and the uncertainty of having to deal from long distance with a new service. Unfortunately, they could not understand this. I was going to move my service; now, I’m unsure of Protect America's service with so much difficulty upfront.
On December 7, 2009 I called customer service to request cancellation of the order for an alarm system placed on Saturday, December 5, 2009. On December 7th, I called Protect America’s customer service department about 2:30 p.m. to have the order suspended for shipment. Initially the person told me that they could stop the shipment but put me on hold and did not come back. I called back and was told I would be transferred to the appropriate department to have them stop the order. I was on hold for a lengthy period and hung up and called back. Again I was placed me on hold for an additional 50 + minutes. I called once again and was told that I would have to talk to my salesman, Al Haskett, to cancel the order and that he would not be in until 5:00 p.m. I was given an opportunity to have a representative from the salesman department call me back since their wait times were so long. I agreed to have the sales department call. I immediately emailed the salesman to stop the order as well. I did receive a call back I believe it was around 4:30 p.m. but was told that a supervisor would call me back.
I did receive a call this morning from quality control. I indicated that I wanted to cancel. They wanted me to delay the order until the first of the year. I told her I want to cancel the order completely. Then she told me that the order had been shipped on the morning of the 7th. Also, that they could reroute the shipment but I would be charged a restocking fee of $79 if I cancelled. I told the representative to cancel the shipment and also that if they did charge me I would never do business with them again.
Please advise, if am I within my rights to cancel. Am I obligated to pay? Protect America has my bank information. The price for the service installation is $192.85 (first and last months, equipment and shipping). Their restocking fee is $79. What should I do to dispute the matter? Should I contact my bank?