logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
Bata India (Hush Puppies)
Sole Torn apart (from centre) of newly purchased shoes
Ak Management
Want my £89 back
5. (50 mins ago)
Nuvoryn / Nathan's Naturals
Charged my credit card and never delivered products!

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Posted:    Valerie

Aggressive sales tactics

Pointe Pest Control
www.pointepestcontrol.com

We had signed up for a pest control service with Pointe Pest Control. It was for multiple applications over a year. The work was to be done inside and out. These guys would just do the out side stating that no one answered the call. When we wanted to cancel they said the following which we were never made aware of:

1. The cancellation will have to be in writing

2. There would be an early cancellation service

3. The contract renews year after year and if you don't cancel in time - you are charged an early cancellation fee.

After we sent in the letter, they continued to call and state that they were scheduling work. The person we spoke with (Nancy) was extremely rude and unprofessional with a major attitude.

The work that they did was never verified if they actually did do the application. We never saw any difference.
Comments United States Home & Garden
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

21st of Sep, 2007 by   Another Unhappy Customer 0 Votes
We had a similar experience. They promised a thorough evaluation, plus promised to bug bomb the crawl space and spray the garage. The guy showed up and spent 5 minutes spraying around the baseboard in the basement, and left. We called to complain, and they never did answer the phone. They never responded to several voice mails.

Then, they periodically showed up randomly on a Saturday to re-do the job. The bug bomb requires the animals to get out of the house, and they just showed up, when we have a house full of kids and pets. They then promised to get back to us the next week, which they never did.

Now they've done a second "treatment", which consisted of the guy parking his truck out front for 5 minutes and then leaving a bill for $70. He didn't do anything!!! I was watching him out the window and waiting for him to get his stuff ready to come inside and take care of the inside, but he just left a bill and drove away. Amazing.

I called their customer service number today, and I finally got someone. They would put me on hold for many minutes, so I would call back and start over. Finally the guy told me that they would not honor the guarantee that is posted on the front page of their website:

"Customer Satisfaction or its Free! If we do not provide a service to your level of satisfaction, we will promptly return for free until you are satisfied. If the problem persists, we will refund your last service payment."

He said that statement was inaccurate and that they do not ever give money back. Luckily I recorded him saying this, which I will give to my credit card company when I have them chargeback the funds.

Yikes. These guys are scum.
 28th of Sep, 2007 by   Sreenivas Gudavalli 0 Votes
I have the same situation. I was NOT told by the sales person who showed at my door and sold me this service about the early cancellation fees. I checked the contract and the contract DOES include the small print about the early cancellation fees.
Is there any way we can fight this scam?
 17th of Oct, 2007 by   Diane A 0 Votes
I had the same experience today!

I started my service in May and during the first service I was home while they sprayed my home and yard. They seemed to do a fairly good job.

They were supposed to come out within a month to spray again. They never showed up. I received a message on August 15th stating that they would be out the next day. I called them back and said they could just do the outside since I had to work. I sent them a check on August 16th.

On August 17th I received a phone call from the accounts receivable department stating that I was past due on my account. They said that I had not paid for my June application. I told them that they never came out in June. I never received a phone call and I did not receive an invoice. The gentleman on the phone said that he would check into it. He called me back an hour later and stated that they had several calls from my neighborhood saying the same thing. He said he would credit my account and that they would call the night before they came out to service from here on out!

Today, I was home for an unrelated delivery and they showed up. The applicator said that I had a past due balance of $75.00. I explained what had happened and he said he would call the office. After speaking to someone in his office for several minutes he asked me to talk to him. I tried to explain what had happened and he basically called me a liar! He was very rude and he spoke over me. I have never been treated so rudely!

I told him I would pay the $75.00 but would cancel as soon as my contract was up and I would tell all my neighbors and friends about my experience. He said that was my prerogative but I needed to pay my bill!

Do not use this company!
 21st of Oct, 2007 by   chris 0 Votes
I will agree on the sales tactics, and the office sucks the business is ran horrible, but I think the Techs are the best thing or at least the 2 techs i have had. The product works, but they need help in the management department
 23rd of Oct, 2007 by   William 0 Votes
I love reading the complaints. I work for One of Pointes biggest competes, and I have to side with them on just about all of your complaints. Most of you heard what you wanted to hear from the sales rep (we get the same thing). Has everyone in the world forgot what a CONTRACT is. I sure know they dont read it before they sign and expect us to let them off the hook at no penalty, because it's somehow our fault they didn't read. You signed a cellphone contract and heaven forbid after it expires (and you forget to sign a new one) the just up and shut off your phone, fire would shoot from your head. A contract does not equal, I'm going to pitch the biggest fit over the phone so I can have what I want. I also love how the people who complain never tell the whole truth. I run into the same thing with my company ALL the time. PEOPLE WANT SOMETHING FOR NOTHING and often lie to get what they want. What a selfish non accountable attitude. We are not without fault but we do try remedy the problem IF the customer lets us.
 23rd of Oct, 2007 by   Jean Miller 0 Votes
I wanted to make a comment or 2 here. I am stay as neutral as possible but leaning on the side of Pointe. I too think the Pointe office is run by inexperienced bunch of people. They run the technicians ragged at all hours of the day and into the evening in many cases... just to try to accommodate the customer. Personally I wish for the employees sake they would establish regular hours. Maybe if customers need service on a Saturday they should charge an extra fee or something. Those guys have families and personal lives. Let them go home at 5 or 6 o'clock. I bet they have lots of employee turnover. If they don't they will soon.

As far as the guy complaining about a contract expiring...lots of companies have contracts... lawncare, pest control, security, etc... they have an initial period of 1 year. After that they go on as long you want them to go. You are not "locked in". You want to cancel the service go right ahead. The contract says send your cancellation in writing with 30 days notice. Not hard to to do. Orkin and Chemlawn have the same contract. Like the other guy said... read your contract.

As far as servicing the home with a "Bug Bomb" ... The State of Illinois banned that practice about 15 years ago. You might get all the pests out your house simply because you might just blow them up and the house too. Bad, very bad idea! If anybody says they are gonna do that raise your right eyebrow and grab them by the shirt and escort them to the door. Remember though- It just may be a young punk sales kids that wants to make a sale and he/she may not know what they are talking about. ANY experienced service technician with ANY knowledge would steer you away from that method of treatment.

As far as customers calling up and yelling and screaming to file complaints?! It happens everyday. There are so many people out there that just have no sense of respect for anyone and they don't shut up long enough to allow a person to help them even when they are actually trying to give them proper directions. I have had it happen to me at my job... if you are a "yeller" when you complain do NOT expect to get your way and don't be surprised when the problem goes unresolved.

Feel free to use the services of Pointe, Terminex, Orkin, and the thousands of other pest control companies out there to solve your pest problems. They are all out to help you and make a buck or 2 doing so. If you don't want to sign a contract...then you have to go to HomeDepot and buy the stuff and do it yourself. You can't complain to anyone but yourself if you blow your house up or kill the cat and dog in the process. And ALWAYS read the label to help prevent those tragic but real sceneries.
 28th of Apr, 2008 by   Jason 0 Votes
The stuff at home depot sucks. The products we use has to be mixed on spot or they lose their potency, until they miro-encapsulate and that wont happen in a container. How long has that stuff been mixed, two weeks. Plus the home depot stuff is mostly nerve agents, natural or not. Not saying nerve agents are bad, they kind of are, but they are ineffective. The bugs are in the walls, there not out and about in your home, they are just there some of the time. Just killing stuff is not the way to go. We do use some nerve agents though. I didn't want to send a false message.

Bug bombs, what is that, just nerve agents. It will take a long time to get a good amount of gas into the nests in your walls. So either it won't permeate, or it did permeate, and will slowly osmose back into your living area. Gaseous nerve agents, those are the worst kind. You know if you really want to do a lot of work you could just do to the department of agriculture and get a private licence for general and structural pest control. Then just buy the "good stuff". Warning the "good stuff" could be lethal if you don't know what you are actually buying. The leathal kind would be available to a licensed individual and you might make a mistake. It still could be a good investment, but be really, really careful, and don't even try if you have kids. It's not worth it.
 11th of May, 2008 by   Daniel 0 Votes
I am a sales rep for Pointe and I think that these complaints are highly exaggerated. The sales rep. that came to your door explained to you the service that would be performed, then he/she gave you the service agreement and explained what would be done in your home and around the outside of your home. You then had the opportunity to read over the contract and nit-pick all you want. If you didn't do it, then you can't complain when you are charged a small cancellation fee if you do not honor your contract. I'm sure there are some cases in which the technicians didn't do the best job, or possibly didn't do any job, but those cases are few and far between. The product works much better than anything that you can buy at the store. If you want to keep applying the same products week after week and kill only the pests that you see (which are a small percentage of those living there) go ahead, but if not then read the contract and make sure you understand what one is ... if you are signing it you should be old enough to realize what a contract is by now.
 29th of May, 2008 by   Steven 0 Votes
I had a Pointe Sales Rep show up at the door. What a jerk, high pressure, arrogant, egotistical, young punk. He said, "You will be calling us." Using negative scare tactics for selling do not work in this day and age. My house has no bug issues and they were saying other people in the neighborhood were using their service, name dropping, telling horror stories. It is obvious they are trying to screw you. As an example, read the stupid response from the Pointe Sales Rep. Come on, who do you think you are? Your just an idiot. Here is how you deal with them coming to the door to sell you, it is easy. Post a "no solicitation" and "no trespassing" signs, when they come to door to sell, call the police. They can be arrested for trespassing as it is posted. If you already signed a contract, just sue them for breach of contract. This will cost them at least a thousand dollars to show up in court, issue subpoenas for depositions. Before the case goes to trial, you will have burned up about $5, 000 of their money. If you get a sympathetic judge to your case, they are screwed. Even still they should settle if they are smart. By the way Pointe Sales Rep, I know how to read a contract and sue you, both on a business side and personal
 3rd of Jun, 2008 by   Cyndi 0 Votes
Yes, read your contract! As far as suing them for breach of contract, they've covered their butts there, too. In the fine print, you've agreed to settle any claim or dispute by "Binding Arbitration." We are coming to the end of our contract with Pointe Pest Control and I am in the process of sending the required 30 day written notice to cancel our service. I have been sorry we signed this contract since a month into our one-year agreement, but we sucked it up and continued the service we agreed to for the year. I've never been so happy to see the end of a contract in my life!

First of all, the sales rep comes to our door with the story that several of our neighbors have been having problems and signed up with them for service. He was out drumming up business in a market 2 hours away from the Denver office. One of the service techs show up 5 hours earlier than scheduled because he didn't want to be inconvienced by getting home late in the day. Don't market yourselves in an area that's going to be a problem for your employees! Twice we had services scheduled, but the service tech never showed up. We've had the service techs call to schedule the service 5 minutes before showing up. It took 7 months before we got on any kind of regular schedule. We've had two different service techs show up within one week of each other for our 'regularly schedule service'.

The biggest issue I've had with the entire service is that we had a black widow infestation in our basement. They sprayed outside and in the basement. The black widows then migrated upstairs to our main living area. We finally got the situation under control by going to Walmart, purchasing $24 worth of Raid bug bombs, and spending the weekend in our camper. When I explained the history of our problems with the company to the newest service tech that showed up on our doorstep, his comment was "Now that you've taken care of the situation, our products will keep things under control." Why did we need them in the first place, at $80 every other month?

I am looking forward to our final treatment at the end of July when I never had to deal with this company again!!!
 5th of Jun, 2008 by   anon 0 Votes
Has anybody ever looked into these issues with a good lawyer? It doesn't matter how tight of a contract somebody writes there's always loop hole too sue. Also somebody talked about small print... just for your information small print does not hold up in court.
 7th of Jun, 2008 by   Dennis M. 0 Votes
I frequent these complaint boards for a lot of the services that I receive, and one thing that always gets me is the "I'm the victim" attitude that so many people seem to have. I have had different pest control companies service my home, and don't really have anything negative to say about any of them. So far, Pointe has been satisfactory, and has cost me less then the others that I was using.
I am not positive, but I believe that they have been in business for a few years, and after looking on the BBB I see that they have a satisfactory rating with only one complaint in all that time. Even on this silly complaint board, I see that there are 6 total in all that time. I don't know how many customers they have, but I would assume it's a fair amount being a national company.
I guess that there will alway be the 1% that will not be pleased with anything. I really don't understand what is so complicated about a service like pest control or lawn care, etc. It seems like an everyday thing, if you have bugs they come and kill them...end of story. A contract constitutes a victim? Please. Then you have people talking about taking them to court and getting all of the money they can out of them? Now that right there is true character.
 9th of Jun, 2008 by   Jean Miller -1 Votes
Don't trust 'em! The Chicago office is owned by Jared and Kyle primarily! The Corp office in Utah owns the branch with them too! These guys are very skilled in Sales! They sell sell sell!! They will say whatever you want to hear to make the sale and to keep you from cancelling the contract. They Lie Lie Lie!!! The sales reps are young kids with little or no pest control experience. They have been trained by sales professionals to SELL SELL SELL! Not to solve pest problems.

The new Branch Manager, Dave is a slime!! Do NOT trust him for anything. He is as bad if not worse than the Jared and Kyle.

Don't trust them to be "GREEN" either. Thats what they claim to sell & service. They are NOT GREEN! They insist that Delta Dust be applied EVERY SINGLE TIME A SERVICE IS PERFORMED. Delta Dust is a product that is good if used properly to control lots of pest problems. It has a resisdual of 8 months to a year! If you keep applying it you will get OVER APPLICATION. This can be BAD for you and your home. AND its illegal! Call the Illinois Dept of Public Health. They'll tell you. Pointes efforts over application is an honest effort to "provide good service". But their lack of knowledge is where they are wrong.

I was trained by Smithereen and Orkin. Both Companies have been doing business for 115 years! Both have Top Notch Training Programs that are recognized by leading Manufacturers and Public Health and Safety organisations. Jared, Kyle & Pointe have been doing business for a few years and primarily in a SALES capacity. They don't care about the safety and "green" stuff. From MY experience they only care about the $ale$ and making it look like the customer is getting something for the money! Its their egos and the $$$ get in the way of doing the right thing.

Call Orkin or Smithereen!! Or any other company for that matter! You will get what you pay for and they have reputations for quality customer service. Pointe is THE WORST employer I have ever worked for!
 14th of Jun, 2008 by   Melanie 0 Votes
I have been a customer with Pointe Pest Control in the Middlesex, MA area for just over a year now and I have never had any of the problems listed on this complaints board. I have always felt that Pointe has treated me fair and honestly and I highly recommend them to all of my neighbors for getting rid of those pesky pests. I came on here to read some of the complaints because my sister-in-law sent me the link... she ran across it while deciding whether or not she wanted to get the service. From my experience, and those of my friends, Pointe Pest Control is just as good as any pest control company out there… if not better! I decided to go with them because I had been with Orkin a few months earlier and my contract with them had expired & I found that Pointe was a lot less expensive. They have honestly been great and I really like that they offer the unlimited re-services at no extra cost… I have not needed this yet, but it’s nice to know that it is available if I was to need it.
 14th of Jun, 2008 by   Wayne D Smith 0 Votes
I agree the Pointe sales reps are aggressive. What sales team isn’t? How is one going to sell if they are not aggressive in the sales strategy? I needed pest control service and yes they were aggressive but I own a company and teach my sales team to get 3 no’s before stopping! After getting the service for over 2 weeks I decided to google Pointe and was surprised by the complaints! My wife can now go outside without being bitten by mosquitoes in our yard with our kids! Thank you sales team for never giving up.
 14th of Jun, 2008 by   Bill 0 Votes
We just had our second service appointment with Pointe Pest Control this week and I have to tell you, since we signed up with them I have seen hardly any bugs whatsoever! Our technician is a super chill guy, and I’m just really satisfied with the job he does. Before Pointe we had tons of spider webs up in the eves and shutters and now there are none. He's always careful to sweep them down and I’m just really glad I went ahead and signed up when the route manager/sales rep came to my door!
 14th of Jun, 2008 by   Tim-E 0 Votes
I had the opportunity to ask the sales rep many questions about the products that they use. I was also able to ask him about how they apply it to each home. After hearing everything that I needed to, I decided to go forward with it, despite being with another company for a number of years. This was due mostly to the lower cost.

After 2 treatments on the home I soon realized that whatever they were doing or using was if fact not near as good as my previous company. I was getting bugs in my home after years of this not happening. I called the number on my contract, and spoke to the head of that particular branch. Alan informed me that I had been misinformed, but that he was unwilling to do anything about it despite his open admission of the wrong.

I don't desire to tear this company down. I believe that they are decent, and that you get what you pay for with the lower price. I feel that it will be more than worth the extra 10 dollars per treatment that I was paying for, if it means that I can go back to not having bugs. I would encourage their salesmen to tell the truth, or at least make an effort to know what you are talking about before you vouch for something. I understand that selling is how you make a living obviously, but treat your customers as though you were in their place and apply the golden rule.
 16th of Jun, 2008 by   truth005 0 Votes
They are running this business like a scam. one sales person came to my office and start explaining that all my neighbours are using their services and they are giving some big discounts. When i confirmed with my neighbour. It was totally false.
Usually, I work from home so i was busy in my office work. i did not read the document completely and signed it. now after 1 service. nothing got changed..still we are seeing spiders..ants..and bugs...I called them to cancel the services. They need 260$ for cancellation penalty. I am disturbed and totaly screwd up..They are saying everyone has to pay 60% pre-cancellation penalty. What should I do now..Please suggest ?

Its my advise to you that do not use this company services.
 16th of Jun, 2008 by   truth005 0 Votes
BTW, I am based in chicago. Can we talk to lawyer about this kind of unethical business practices. They just need money and do not now show any results. I will NOT recommend anyone to use this company.
 17th of Jun, 2008 by   Dorothy 0 Votes
I just had a rep at my door. He was somewhat aggressive in his approach to sell his product. I got the feeling that he didn't want me to think just sign on the dotted line. I told him to give me his card so I could get back with him. He didn't have one. What about a pamphlet or infor sheet? No. Only Contracts and appointments' schedules. I told him I needed something to check the company out before signing. Nothing. O.k., Come back in twenty minutes. Give me enough time to check you out on the web. He hasn't been back. But if he does, No is my answer. Thanks for the responses.

IRS Warns Of E Mail Phishing Scheme