logo

Posted:    Ian McCabe

Total Scam - Was Sold Outdated Information

People Finders
peoplefinders.com
I paid $19.95 for their "1 Day Search Pass" - only to discover that all 99% of their results are either outdated or freely available at other sites like zabasearch.com and addresses.com! And then they make it very difficult to get a refund - I still haven't received mine. Don't waste your money with this site - they sell you information that is available for free. Total scam!
Comments United States Family & Relationships
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

12th of Dec, 2007 by   Rick Tufington -2 Votes
Nice fake complaint. note the mentions of zabasearch and addresses.com in the complaint. These companies will try anything.

Take back this site!
 12th of Dec, 2007 by   Customer Service -3 Votes
PeopleFinders.com strives to provide the highest level of customer service possible. We are always happy to answer any of your questions regarding your purchases or our services. If you believe that you have been deceived or "scammed" by our organization, we definitely want to hear about it and reconcile the situation. Further, if you believe that you have been a victim of fraudulent activity, the PeopleFinders.com Fraud Department is available to assist you.

Please feel free to contact us at support@peoplefinders.com or at 800-718-8997 if you have any questions or need further assistance.

-PeopleFinders.com Support Team

12th of Nov, 2008 by   ampmg -2 Votes
email sent to peoplefinders

I have used your website several times in the past but the last time I used the website not only was all the info totally outdated, but I wound up having charges on both of my listed credit cards/bank cards from its affiliates that i did not authorize. I wrote to complain after the 1st time but got no response.. now i just had to call and cancel another one and the rep stated it was authorized from your website too.
I find this very disconcerting and misleading. I will no longer be using your services and will be forwarding my complaint to the proper channels .
 1st of Jul, 2009 by   S from OHIO +2 Votes
peoplefinders is a SCAM! They charged me $4.95 to do an "instant search" on a phone number (reverse lookup), and their site says your report will be available IMMEDIATELY, which it was NOT. It took TWO days and they came back with ONE NAME: "NATHAN" That's it!? What the hell does that tell me??? Before I paid, I knew the area the call came from, and that it was a cellular number...and that is ALL the information they gave me. Yet before I PAID them, their site said that the name, address, etc was ALL AVAILABLE...supposedly all I had to do was pay and I'd know instantly. WHAT A TOTAL SCAM!!! I have an order number...this is not fake. And so help me god if I get charged for anything else...heads are gonna roll.
 28th of Jan, 2010 by   OUstudent +2 Votes
PeopleFinders completely ripped me off. Their affiliates obsessively called me. When I finally answered they said they were calling on behalf of PeopleFinders and just needed to verify card information. I questioned the caller but she would not answer any of my questions as was rude about it. I ended up having huge charges on my credit cards for things like magazines and a savers club that I did not authorize and I told her I didn't want!
 22nd of Apr, 2010 by   RegularManJoe +2 Votes
I used Peoplefinders.com. I gave peoplefinders the first middle and last name of the subject of the search. People finders told me they had specific data on the individual I requested. The only information peoplefinders had was the first and last name of the indiviual. Anyone who uses peoplefinders.com. I requested my money back, but they refused. I was scammed by peoplefinders.com. Anyone who uses this company who has read this is a fool with their money.
 3rd of May, 2010 by   Denny Mac +2 Votes
This is a sweet scam, much bigger than you guys are saying. I used them to find someone and then found that they gave my credit card number to Privacy Matters 123, who began charging my card $19.95/month. If you have used these folks in the past you need to check your credit card statements to see what fun they have wrought.
 3rd of May, 2010 by   lookingforinfo +2 Votes
I agree that this is a total rip-off. There is nothing published here that has satisfied my curiosity. Comprehensive Background? Not comprehensive. Just some information that could have been retrieved somewhere else which is just a name and address, which by the way is an information that I already know.

Only now that I've read this site. But I'm posting a comment for the benefit of others.
 5th of May, 2010 by   People finder is fraud +1 Votes
Denny Mac has the story right. People finders is a huge money fraud scam that steals money from their customers...Just check your bank statements!!! They got me for $24.95 a month for 6 mos. They say they will refund the money. I give them that, but Fraud is fraud. Anyone who reads this and has had dealings with People Finders should immediately check their financial accounts, debit or credit cards etc!!!
I was actually pleased with their service and would have used them again! Ironic.
 10th of Jun, 2010 by   Johnson42 +1 Votes
Yes. Fraudulent. Surprise to me when $19.95 began showing up on my monthly statement. They auto-signed me up for $19.95 per month and I didn't even know it until I looked closely at my statement. Very underhanded. Very difficult to negotiate a credit for the full amounts. They have sent my request to their billing department to see "if they can credit me the full amount". I have already called my credit card company and disputed this charge myself. Now it's removed for sure! Dicks.
 6th of Jul, 2010 by   sallyrider +1 Votes
Auto-renewal membership scam with tons of 3rd party solicitation. Most of the money this company makes is through deceptive marketing practices of their memebrship. Several "free money" offers take up the entire page and make it impossible to find the "No thanks" button that's hidden on the page.

DO NOT USE!!!
 27th of Jul, 2010 by   NurseRN +2 Votes
I very cautiously read all the information before I gave my credit card number, because I really don't like buying things off of the internet. Paid my two dollars for the ONE number I looked up. Couple of days later, $24.95 charge. I have e-mailed them to refund. I am really hoping they do the right thing.
 5th of Aug, 2010 by   bushpilot +2 Votes
I order their .95 one time search latter I found out they charge my credit card foir 24.95 stating that signed up for a 3 in 1 membership, which I did not do. They sent an email that went straight to my spam box confirming the suscription. I have spoken to them and demanded the return of my money. They are refusing. I think it is time for a class action suit.

Anyone in the same boat please contact me a bushpilotx1@ y...hoo.com
 27th of Aug, 2010 by   1106brian +2 Votes
Crappy company with very deceiving billing practices. I am usually very careful with any company that will slam you with offers before you make the purchase but somehow these swindlers got me too! Unfortunately I can't go back and see on their website where I made a mistake and they definitely do not plan on refunding me my 24.95. I will sue them if any of their third parties or they try and take any more of my money. DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS!
 30th of Aug, 2010 by   ike06 0 Votes
Yep! They got me too with this new snare. I went there trying to get the .95 one time search thing, they billed me the .95 twice because supposedly I requested to have the report e-mailed to me, which anyone would think it's included with the damn report that was worthless anyway, and a few days later they charge my card 24.95 for some trial that I did not agree to. They are refusing to return my money and I am definitely disputing this charge through my card but I agree with bushpilot, they need to get sued for this scam.
 13th of Sep, 2010 by   SSgt Harris 0 Votes
I serve the United States Marine corps and I am very disappointed with Pe0ple Finders.com because of my line of duty I am constantly on the go, and lose contact with alot of friends. To my dismay unfortunately not until today, I checked on my bank statements and found that even though I cancelled my account two months ago, People Finders.com are still taking money out of my account twice a month the second and the eighth for . I called my bank to have my checking account closed and now I am in the process of hopfully receiving my money back. In the process I had to go on google to get their contact information and click on this site and found out to let that I have been scammed. To prevent this from happening to my follow Marines I sent a email sharing my exeperience along with this website to alert others of the unfair business practice that this service is providing.
 13th of Sep, 2010 by   cheryl l.m 0 Votes
i also was riped off from them recently there info is completely outdated aparently my parents 7 children dont exist and you could find out more info from friends and family than u can them and its free
 13th of Sep, 2010 by   SSgt Harris 0 Votes
I do apologize for typing the prior message under such anger leaving out information and incomplete sentences. The amont of money People finders were charging me after cancellation was 48.20 on the 2nd of the month and 49.77 on the 9th of the same month. Unfortunately I found out too late that People finders.com was a scam and I am currently notifying my command to protect the innocence of others.
 3rd of Nov, 2010 by   Aleja 0 Votes
ok...i am glad i read this before using them...thank you all...but how can I find information about people now..??
 23rd of Feb, 2011 by   pat got scammed 0 Votes
Hmm, I see a trend here. :) I to fell for their trick, had no idea that after I signed up for their service, that I would be charged and additional $4.95 per reverse phone number. I called the same day I signed up and asked for a refund, but was told that they don't give refunds. I explained to the lady that I had not used their service yet, and because they did not say there would be additional fees until after they had my money, that I want my money back. I was told that they would give me three free look ups, to which I replied that I was not interested in the free looks ups, that I wanted my money back. I explained to her that no where on their site does it say there would be additional fees, to which she responded "well, it doesn't say there wouldn't be any additional fees does it?" LOL, there's some logic for ya! Needless to say, I am pleased that they have a link on their site to the BBB, becaused I used it to file a complaint, probably not going to get my money back, but I want it on file.

How to Protect Older Americans From Fraud