logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
DRI*Trend Micro orderfind.com MN
double billed on credit card
3. (30 mins ago)

Oro Gold

Posted:    Richard

Unethical practices

Oro Gold
Dana, a vendor of Mazal Enterprise's Oro Gold cart in Ontario Mills Mall @ 1 Mills Circle #25, Ontario, CA 91764 - promised a "money back guarantee" several times during her ten minute product demonstration. Any sign stating their return policy was intentionally obscured and Dana stamped the receipt "NO REFUNDS" only AFTER running my credit card. I immediately protested to her trickery but she refused to honor her promise.

I contacted Ontario Mills management, Barbara Meaders attempted to secure a refund for me. Oro Gold was obstinate and further insulted me by offering a $100 refund for the $391.50 worth of products that I purchased.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

14th of Nov, 2010 by   flange 0 Votes
I had a very similar experience happen in the store in Century City shopping mall in Los Angeles - Only after I phoned the leasing office of the mall and had them call the store owner did i get the refund that was originally promised. This seems to be their unwritten policy across the board at all stores: bait and switch.
 14th of Nov, 2010 by   Nursie 0 Votes
I just had the same thing happen in The Galleria in Houston. Because I have very sensitice skin I asked about the ingredients and was told over and over that there was NO GOLD in the product I bought, only in the "serums". Of course whern I got home and experienced an allergic reaction I read the fine print and found gold in the ingredients list.
 14th of Nov, 2010 by   flange 0 Votes
Yes @Nursie. Seems the "hard sell" is far more important to them than customer satisfaction. This will work for a while, but will eventually catch up to them. A shame since it seems to be quite a fine line of products. When I *finally* got my refund OK'd, the man REFUSED TO EVEN LOOK OR SPEAK TO ME, and spent 20 minutes on the phone, supposedly with a superior getting an OK. They made what could have been a good customer / vendor relationship into my not ever planning to shop with them again.
 24th of May, 2011 by   ellen251 0 Votes
I was at this cart while they were still open and I would have to say that I disagree with Richard's assessment. I found the sales people helpful and the products unbelievable! I've tried every cosmetic product in the book and nothing can compare to Oro Gold. The gold facial peel they had me try, in particular, was spectacular!

And honestly, if you search for complaints on any company you will most certainly find it along with positive reviews. Because, people like to complain/vent. But, Im here to say that Oro Gold Cosmetics has great products and you wont go wrong with purchasing their merchandise.
 1st of Jul, 2011 by   Marcos Rivers 0 Votes
I was just at Sawgrass Mills Mall and can not believe what happened. I was walking out with a bag in hand from another store and an Israeli woman (if you call her that, she was a bit frumpy) grabbed my hand and SQUEEZED it, saying "try the products come here baby, " almost like a hooker. I felt quite uncomfortable and I'm in great shape but did not want to use any force whatsoever. Her partner, a guy with a thick accent, was yelling "she like you, she like you." I finally broke her grasp by saying "if you don't let me go I'm calling security." She started laughing devilishly and I was on my way, but not before about 30 people saw this event. I was shocked and will never go near that cart again.
 25th of Oct, 2011 by   Protect Your Money -1 Votes
October 2011. I was walking by Oro Gold Cosmetics in Copley Place in Boston. A saleswoman was outside the Oro Gold store, holding a tray with packets of products. I said no thank you. She gently grabbed me with her hands and pulled me into the store. She said, "Please try the products. You don't have to buy anything." She put the the Oro Gold Deep Cleansing Gel on me and I thanked her and said I wasn't interested in getting the item. She said the item was a year supply worth. I told her I wanted to go home and think about it. She guaranteed that I would like it or she would give my money back. She used the word "money" several times, as in, "I will give you back your money if you don't like it." When I told her no again, she said she would give me a bonus item, but I must promise not to tell anyone because if her boss found out, she would get into big trouble. She said for me, she would give the 3-Piece Cleansing Kit that is normally $149.95 as a bonus. She said again that if I tried the products and don't like them, she would give me back my money. Worn down, I tell her that I'll buy the product. The saleswoman reminds me again not to tell her boss, that he wasn't at the store that day, but if he found out, she would get into trouble. The saleswoman rang my credit card through the machine and then had me sign the receipt. She then stapled the credit card receipt to the store receipt, and then she highlighted the receipt. She said the next time I come into the store, she would give me a free facial. She folded the receipt in half, then in half again, and put it in the Oro Gold shopping bag.

I wanted to leave, but the saleswoman grabbed me again and sat me down next to her. She started pushing the Oro Gold 24K Anti-Aging Eye Serum at $295.95 per ounce.

I told her i wanted to try the products I just got and then if I like them, I would come back for more. The saleswoman asked me if money was getting in the way, if the cost was too much for me.

I told her yes, that money was a concern. I said if I liked the products I bought, that I would be back at the store next month.

The saleswoman said that when people look at me, they don't look at my clothes or my shoes or my handbag. They look at my face, especially my eyes. She said if my face doesn't look good, then it doesn't matter if I am smart or well-dress, that no one will pay attention to what I have to say.

The saleswoman said that she was 38 years old and that she takes care of her face to make it look this young.

Actually, she appeared older than me -- maybe 45.

She said my eyes had big black circles underneath them.

I said, "Great. Well, let me try these products and I'll be back if I like them."

We go through several cycles of her wanting me to buy more products, and me sounding like a broken record of let's wait and see.

When I got home, I noticed at the very bottom of the store receipt is printed:

We will be happy to exchange your products at any time so long it has not been opened, however, WE DO NOT ISSUE REFUNDS!!!

On the credit card receipt, reads:

NO REFUNDS / EXCHANGE ONLY
WITHIN 7 DAYS

The next day, I went on Amazon.com and saw the same products for much less.

The Oro Gold 24K Deep Cleaning Gel, which I paid $122.18 ($114.99 + $7.19 state sales tax), was on Amazon for $25 (free shipping).

The Oro Gold 24K 3-Piece Cleansing Kit that is normally $149.95 is selling for $25 (free shipping).

The $295.95 Eye Serum that the saleswoman said I desperately need? $25.19 (free shipping).

I typed "Oro Gold complaints" and there were a large number of complaints about the sales technique. Apparently, it is common for the sales people to offer a money back guarantee, but then refuse refunds.

I called the phone number listed on the receipt 617-236-0007 (Boston store) and 617-766-6845 (customer service line). The lines rang and rang, but no one picked up the phones.

The following day, I called my credit card company. I explained the situation to a representative, that I noticed my receipt had a no refund policy printed on it, but the Oro Gold saleswoman had verbally promised that I could return at any time for my money back. I also said I went online and saw all the complaints the company had about its deceptive sales practices.

The credit card representative told me to return the items, and if the store refused them, that I could contact the credit card company for a refund.

I went back to the store and told the saleswoman that I didn't use the products and I wanted to return them.

The saleswoman said, "We don't give refunds."

I said, "That's not what you told me. You told me that you promised to give back my money if I changed my mind. I haven't used any of the products."

She said, "I'm sorry, but we don't give refunds. Only exchanges."

I said, "You specifically said the word money several times, as in 'I will give you back your money.'"

I told her that I had already called my credit card company and if that if the store refused to give me a refund, that the credit card company would refund me. I asked her if she was refusing to give me a refund.

She then agreed to give me a refund.

She asked, “Why did you not try the products?”

I said, “I found them on Amazon for much cheaper. $25.”

She and the salesman say, “Amazon?! Of course, they are expired products from stores that closed.”

Then she spoke with this salesman. They took the products and my receipts. (Before coming to the store, I had made copies of the receipts because I didn't trust these employees.)

Then the salesman told me to sit (on a chair at a distance from the register) and wait a few minutes while they got their credit machine ready. I thought this was strange since it was almost noon and the store had been open since 10am.

I said, "No, thanks. I prefer to stand right here until I get my refund receipt."

After a few minutes, I got a refund receipt.

The salesman asked me if I lived in Boston, and I told him yes. I didn't understand the relevancy of the question, but I realize now that a consumer has more consumer protections on credit card purchases made within a 50-mile radius.

The following day, I noticed that the refund wasn't even in pending on my credit card account. Then I looked closely at the receipt and it said, "Apprvd: Offline". That raised a red flag to me.

I called my credit card company and the representative said the return was never processed. The rep said she will make sure the $122.18 would be credited to my account.
 16th of Nov, 2011 by   Lhuang 0 Votes
A very very similar case happened to me as I was walking through The Copley Plaza on 11/13/11...ended buying the products after deals were thrown at me. As I left the store, I thought to myself "hmm...this seems too good to be true." I came back home to google the company and read the reviews. Indeed, it was! Boy, was I furious! I called my credit company immediately to inform them of the charge from Oro Gold. I was advised to return to the merchant first. So I went back the store to demand a refund. Same response from the sales lady, "Amazon?? How do you know if that is real?" She told me to come back in 20 minutes when the manager is available as he was with a customer at the moment. I told her that I will wait. After a minute, the customer left and I went told the manager that I want a refund for the product. I finally saw their return policy after he pointed out this cream colored stationery with gold lettering in small prints. Who is going to stand there and read the fine prints?? To make the story short, he finally gave in and said "I'll refund it to you because we don't need customers like you!" 11/15, I just realized I've been "had" again! I looked at my credit card...indeed it said, "Apprvd: Offline"! I called my CC again to explain what happened, i've been told to wait up to 30 days before they can dispute it!! OMG!! I'm thinking of contacting reporters to do a investigation on this type of dishonest business practice. I didn't think this would happen at such a high end mall.
 28th of Nov, 2011 by   nostalgia +1 Votes
Nov 2011. I was walking by Oro Gold Cosmetics in Horton Plaza in San Diego. A man was outside the Oro Gold store. he pulled me inside to show me the peel and moisturizer. after seeing it work i decided i was going to buy it. he said i need to start now so my skin doesn't get worse. for the peel he charged me 182.00. which he said was half price due to black friday. he said on top of that he was going to throw in the moisturizer and a nail kit for free. like everyone else. if i don't like it, he will refund my money. i was about to leave and he said. i also need the eye cserum. i told himi couldn't. i needed to do christmas shopping. he said how often do u treat yourself? i'll throw in nail kits for two of your friends. plus give you the night cream and a blue eye shadow for 182.00.
i said no. he then pulled up the website to show me how much the products really cost. see. you're getting a good deal he said. i swiped my card again. at this point he takes both recipts folds them over and places them in my bags.
when i got home, i google searched oro gold and saw amazon's price. i checked to see if i threw away the receipt. that's when i saw the no refund. i was livid.
i called the number on the reciept. all it did was ring. he put his number in my product book. the first time i called i got no answer. 2nd time he picked up. i told him i wanted my money back and i didn't use any of the products. he asked why. i told him i found it for 0. he basically told me they were knock offs or probably used products. he said he'd give me an additonal product line. i told him i'd still be out of hundreds. eventually he said i could bring it in and refund it.
whhen i got back to the store, he didn't even check to see if the products were in the bag. he took my card and gave me two reciepts. on the top it sais refund successful. the bottom still said no refunds. in the midlle were two lines that overlap each other.
i told my bank what happened.. they told me to play the wait game.
it wasn't until i read this page that i really looked at the over lapping lines. the fine print was my name.. overlapping in bold print was refunded for 182.10 approved not.
smh.

Actually, she appeared older than me -- maybe 45.

She said my eyes had big black circles underneath them.

When I got home, I noticed at the very bottom of the store receipt is printed:

On the credit card receipt, reads:

NO REFUNDS / EXCHANGE ONLY
WITHIN 7 DAYS

The next day, I went on Amazon.com and saw the same products for much less.

The saleswoman said, "We don't give refunds."

She said, "I'm sorry, but we don't give refunds. Only exchanges."

She then agreed to give me a refund.

She asked, “Why did you not try the products?”

I said, “I found them on Amazon for much cheaper. $25.”

After a few minutes, I got a refund receipt.

28th of Dec, 2011 by   RaeRae11685 0 Votes
I work in an upscale mall in Boston as a Beauty Advisor for a environmentally fit botanical lifestyle brand. An oro gold shop is located on the first floor and on over 15 occasions Ive had women come in either crying or crazed over their horrible products and “bullies”. Well today I had just had enough. A 20 year old girl who attends college nearby came into my shop crying hysterically. She had been bullied by two men into buying an 8 piece mask system and a 24k milk creme moisturizer at Oro Gold. She was shaking and had to return every single item she had purchased that day just to make up for the money she had spent at Oro Gold. She is a loyal customer at the store I work at and she wanted my opinion because I know how her problematic skin can react to non-organic or botanical ingredients. I advised her ( without trash talking another brand) that she probably shouldnt use a milk creme moisturizer because she has oily skin and is acne prone. Also the mask sold to her was for wrinkles and fine lines… SHE IS 20 YEARS OLD!!! I told her she was beautiful and she may want to protect her skin in the future, but she does not need to worry about fine/deep lines or wrinkles. She said she was going downstairs to return it because she didnt want it in the first place and she was intimidated by two european men. About 20 minutes later she came back in with mascara running down her face and what looked like and allergic reaction. She said they claimed she needed to address her horrible skin and even if they could they wouldnt return the product because she was in such need of it. During this false “consultation” she was told if she wasnt satisfied with the product they would refund her 100% and 20 mins later they told her EVEN IF THEY COULD THEY WOULDNT! They also gave her 2 free items or “gifts” as they called them that she DID NOT want. All she wanted was her money back.. Thats disgusting behavior. The product also started creating a rash on her problematic skin. I gave her a mini facial and told her not to let those bogus products touch her face again and to file a police report. I am so outraged by that company. I went in the store and acted like a customer just to see their outrageous behavior first hand and they tried to get me for 2000 dollars. I expressed that it looked like the products werent doing anything as they assured me I needed it I pulled up amazon.com and laughed at them and said ” Hope you like prison because the rate you are going you will be there soon for this HARASSMENT you bestow on others!” Sorry to everyone who fell victimized by this ridiculous scam! A real company should be able to stand by their product.
 26th of Jan, 2012 by   RogersMom94 +1 Votes
I traveled by train to Boston and stopped in the Copley place mall feeling frumpy and having forgotten my make up kit. Perfect target for the Orogold sales force. My experience was similar to those described above. These sales tactics seem Middle Eastern to me-where merchants learn the hard sell to rip off customers who are naive and not on their toes, and you must always haggle for a bargain. I'm not sure this is unethical, exactly, but it is not a process American consumers are used to or are alert to. I'm surprised the Copley Place Mall would have such a shop in their mall. You wind up feeling stupid and rooked after shopping at Orogold. Buying make up and creams should be a fun experience and not break your bank.
 3rd of Mar, 2012 by   boston1 0 Votes
I had the same exact experience at the Oro Gold in Copley Mall in Boston. What they are doing with the their pretend pricing, pretend discounts and hidden "no refund" policy is in violation of MA consumer protection law. I filed an online complaint with the consumer protection office using the link below. If enough of us do the same, they will investigate. Good luck!

14th of Mar, 2012 by   Gambika -1 Votes
Ok,
The tecniques of sale are barabrous, but what about the quality of products?
 14th of Mar, 2012 by   knitgirl 0 Votes
I, too was walking past the Oro Gold in Copley Place Mall yesterday (March 13, 2012) with my sister. A young woman offered us each a free sample of moisturizer. She then wanted us to come in so she could show us something. She then had both of us sit side by side and put some gel and eye cream under my right eye and the same under my sister's left eye. She oohed and aahed about what a change it had made in 30 seconds. She then had us turn towards each other so we could see each other. Yes, it did look more moisturized. She had just put cream on our skin. My skin started feeling irritated. She gave me a mirror and I looked and saw my skin starting to turn red. She said she could see no redness and then had a young man come over to assure me that there was no redness. I reached over and took a cotton swab and rubbed the lotion off. Needless to say we did not buy the snake oil.
 22nd of Mar, 2012 by   Hollywoodchick 0 Votes
I experienced the same thing in the South Bay Mall in Redondo Beach, I was completely caught off guard as I was walking in the front of the store.A gentleman offered me a a sample of the eye cream and within 10 minutes I was writing a check out for product. After I left the store I felt like such an idiot, I immediately thought of The Dead Sea Products and it was the same type of scam where the price is so incredibly high but yet after you tell them you will think about it the price gets lower and lower. The Products are not that great and I believe this to be a TOTAL SCAM... BUYER BEWARE.
 27th of Mar, 2012 by   Broward girl +1 Votes
:( I am 20 years old and got approached by the lady in broward mall in florida, i work as a nanny and she gave me 2 peeling masks, 2 day moisturizer creams, 2 body salts and 2 body creams, The total shouldve been like $600 but she gave it to me for $300, i kept telling her i couldnt afford it and she eventually told me its ok i can pay half now nd the other half next week so i agreed i checked my account now and the full amount has been debited off of my account :( she said if it hasnt worked in 2 weeks i can take it all back and get a refund.. now im doubting i can do that considering all the stories... i wish i could just say no but she had made me feel guilty cant belive this could actually happen to me...
 26th of Apr, 2012 by   switzerland 0 Votes
I was visiting Boston 2 days ago and got the same treatment as everybody else on this website. Very pushy "store manager" sold me a vitamin peeling and a day cream for 119 after advertising it at the beginning for over 250. After using the products I've got a skin allergy and I've to agree with everybody else on this site. Not only the sales tactic is disgusting and outrageous but also the products seem to be of no value at all. DON`T BUY THEIR PRODUCT. BE AWARE. THIS IS ROBBERY.
 25th of Jun, 2012 by   Ren Rios 0 Votes
BUYER BEWARE!! These people are complete scam artist!!! I had the same experience as all of these poor women!! This is harsh sales tactics! After being bullied for an hour ( I have decided I'm way to polite) I bought this product. I was told if I didn't like the product to bring it back and they would work something out. When I returned home I went online and not only found all the complaints but also that I could purchase these exact same products on Amazon for a fraction of the cost. I immediately went back to the Galleria Mall and demanded my money back telling them this is a scam and that I could purchase these products for a fraction of the cost. Well they didn't like that seeing how there were customers in the chairs. They then proceeded to threaten me by calling security and telling me they would have me escorted out!!! So as I turned to walk out I made sure to not only warn the people in the store but also the employee's of Nordstroms. Nordstrom was located 2 stores over. The employees told me they were very suspicious of the Oro Gold store because the same workers only stay 7 months before they pack things up to leave for several months and then come back under a different name selling a different product!!! I learned previously the were selling hair products and before that Dead Sea Products. The workers are from Israel by the way!
 1st of Jul, 2012 by   Yvonne D. 0 Votes
I was in Las Vegas at the Paris casino, and I was asked to try Oro Gold. I was offered a free sample and I decided to try some. I decided to try some. He charge me me a much higher price, then what he quoted me. He would not credit it., but offered to exchange the product for another. I did not want another product; so I will try calling customer service. He did not tell me that there were no returns on the products, and was very dishonest.. I learned my lesson, buyer Be Aware. I will never accept a free sample of skin care again.
 7th of Jul, 2012 by   KitKat84 0 Votes
I did NOT make a purchase at this store since I do not make impulse purchases, but I thought I would offer another voice saying I had the same experience with a salesperson in the Boston Copley store. I was walking by, had 20 minutes to run a quick errand in the mall and then get to work, and the guy was handing out samples. So I took a bag and continued walking. He said something about there being 2 in the bag and I called after me, "Great, thanks, I'll give one to my mom."

"Oh, " he said, "Come here, I have something more appropriate for you, then." This did not strike me as strange. I figured he was handing out products meant for older women, since he was standing outside an expensive store in an expensive mall, and perhaps realized after looking past my sophisticated work clothes that an anti-acne product would be more appropriate for my age than an anti-wrinkle cream. Hoping to get a different sample that might actually do me some good, I returned.

I asked if he had another sample to give me. He said he could not give me more than one since some people just come back for samples again and again and they are expensive. But he put some of the deep peel on the back of my hand and showed me and it seemed nice. It was $115. I figured that was par for the course, being in the Copley Plaza, and to be honest I did not even rule out consideration of the product at that price. I asked again if he could give me a sample of it and his name. (I have worked on commission before; I would never buy a product from one salesperson that a different salesperson sold me.) He asked if the problem was the cost. I said (for the second time, I think) that the problem was that I was going to be late for work if he kept me much longer. He also had a foreign accent that made it difficult to understand exactly what he was saying so sometimes it sounded like he was going to give me a sample because he kept saying he would "give" me the product, but he only pulled out the full size so I know he really meant he would "sell" me the product. Conveniently, the $115 product was on sale for one day only for $99, and since I am a student he would even "give" it to me for "only" $89 and throw in the cleanser for free, but I had to buy it right then and there. He was giving me "such a good discount" because he had made a $4500 sale earlier and blah blah something I couldn't understand in his accent.

Let me pause for a moment to point out the absurdity of this statement. As I mentioned, I have worked on commission before, so I know that his "I already made a big sale today" logic was completely counterintuitive. If you've already made a big sale that day and no longer have to worry about making your numbers for the day or starving that week, then you LOSE your desperation and therefore your incentive to give people discounts. It would then behoove you to charge as much as you can for whatever other products you're going to sell that day. If you HAVEN'T made your numbers, THEN you start saying, "Oh my god I need to pay my rent, please just buy SOMETHING!"

Anyway, I told him that it still wasn't happening today and I asked him for the second or third time if he could just write down the product name and his name and that I had to get to work. Never once did I indicate that I had no interest in coming back to buy his product at a later time (and specifically from him, even). So I suppose they know that if they let people get away to research these products then they will never buy them. Because that is exactly what has just happened to me.

$89 isn't negligible to me, but not a price I would never considering paying for a year's supply (as he claimed) of something that would actually improve my skin. And if I had come online and found positive reviews, I may have gone back to the mall, bought the product, and made sure that he got his commission for it-- even though he had seriously annoyed me. But having found these reviews, that will never happen.
 10th of Jul, 2012 by   Spendacone 0 Votes
I was at the Irvine Spectrum mall today and the same thing happened to my 72 year old mother!! I was making a B-line for Lululemon when I hear my 10 year old daughter scream for me. I go back to see my mother sitting in a chair getting the massive sales pitch. I honestly never thought once about purchasing the products just because I am one who operates on the belief that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!!! She mentioned that they were opening three new stores in the OC area in the next few months. I can't speak for the product, only the way my poor, 72 year old mother was sucked into this store for a half an hour sales pitch that ended in disappointment for the salesperson. She told us she was 36 with 3 kids! She didn't look a day over 25! Either she was lying or the products really do work. Can't imagine this business model will last much longer!!

Should the Rich Pay Higher Taxes?

Latest Groups