logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
Ocean Investment
INVEST WITH 500USD TODAY AND GET A RETURN OF 11,000USD AFTER 7-WORKING DAYS.
2. (15 mins ago)
Optimization

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Orkin Pest Control Complaints & Reviews - Heartless management and horrible company to work for!

Orkin Pest Control Contacts & Informations

Orkin Pest Control

Posted:    Valerie

Heartless management and horrible company to work for!

I am a past employee of Orkin Pest Control from a few years ago...... If you are considering a career with this company, I urge you to reconsider! While at the interview they make it sound like it's the best job on earth! When in reality it is anything but! If you take a job with this company, be prepared to work VERY LONG HOURS WITH NO COMPENSATION! When I worked there I put in an excess of 55 to 60 hours a week, 6 days a week........

Most people would think, "Well it's a lot of hours, but at least you make alot of money from overtime!" WRONG! They pay you on a production basis, which means you make a percentage of the production you make for the day... Which is a very small percentage! What does this mean??? That's right.... NO OVERTIME PAY WHATSOEVER!!! The company realizes this and takes advantage of their employees because they can legally work their employees 60 hours a week and not have to pay any extra out of their own pocket! Aside from that, the benefits from the job are horrific!!! They do offer Medical, Dental, Life.... etc.... but the coverage is so unbelieveably horrible it's not even worth getting! They do have company vehicles of which you have restricted use, (which means you can only use it for work purposes and that's it!) Which would be fine, except they take out a hefty amount out of Your own pay for using their trucks to do their work!!! If you are caught using it for other purposes other than work, there are hefty consequences! And don't think you can just use it anyway and get away with it..... Nope.... They have GPS units equipped on every vehicle so they know your every move! Any extra expenses required for work (I.E. Cell phone calls [of which they require from you everyday]Tolls, work uniforms, and basically anything else aside from gas, you are required to pay out of your own pocket with no reimbursement from the company.

All this combined with heartless management makes this an all around horrible company to work for! Leaving the company was the smartest decision I've ever made! And if you are considering employment with them, I strongly urge you to reconsider.
Comments United States Job & Career
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

20th of Jul, 2008 by   Jeff 0 Votes
Thanks for the info, I just interviewed with them. They sent me for a physical & drug test two days ago, but time are rough and I might have to take the job.
 28th of Aug, 2008 by   Breathing Dryon 0 Votes
I totally agree.Worked for a branch three months and left cold out of pure disgust and exhaustion a while back.I had 37+ service calls a day, everyday and worked from 5 am to 8:30 pm at night 6 days a week.This does not included appointment setting they expected you to do from home after work, or doing manditory vehicle cleaning and chemical loading.At the end of the month after all of the subtracts for varius things I went home with a grand total of $700.00, when if paid overtime would have a massive amount of money even for a a job like McDonalds.The job comissions amounted to nothing no matter how many service calls a month you got done and are set up like a donkey with a carrot in fromt of it.We were told unless it was a start to spend a maximum of 15 minutes per customer no matter what the problem was.All of my customers thought I was on speed because I literally had to run while doing each job in a hope I could get it done in time, while actually trying to do something useful to help them.The last thing I heard was that they wanted to put governors on the trucks and limit them to 50mph when the highway most of our jobs were on is a 55-60 mph rode.I heard of the GPS thing happening too and I just said, omg...time to leave.
 20th of Oct, 2008 by   Patrick Gath 0 Votes
just be glad you did not fall ill with an industry related illness. You then could have seen how much money they will spend NOT to help you!!!
 15th of Feb, 2009 by   kopyritte 0 Votes
I am a full time employee at the company and im very proud of my job. Actually I was stumbling by this thread or link cause I was browsing franchise options with the company in the uk. But anyways it is a very good company to work for. The benefits are great and the pay works out to your benefit. If you want to get paid for overtime the guy above should of been a termite tech or work in termite sales profitable up to 65k . I started out 29k when I first started there with full benefits and vacation 10 days from day one. This is my fourth year and im making close to 55k and 45 of it was my hourly and overtime other 10 was my sales. I put alot of manual labor in also since im a termite specialist and it requires drilling, masonary, carpentry, blahblah alot treatment. But I love the job and im happy with my progress and the people I work with are great. Pest control only is all for your own you have to get your own route which could take up to a year and your with alot more employess and competition. So you have your options to weigh and it depends on which climate your on cause termites wont be in cold conditions. So maybe you cant be a termite tech in certain areas and get hourly . Its a great job you just have to weigh out your options thats why there the best with over a 100 years experience there doing something right and you can gain alot of knwoledge on pest biology or control and the training is very intense they put alot of time into there employess. dunno great place for me. If you work your way up to region pay is to the sky. You put in what you get.
 1st of Apr, 2009 by   Dorkin +1 Votes
Orkin freakin sucks there service is horrible all they care about is money and no service I personally dont know how they stay in business there a bunch of tight wides trying to squeeze a penny from anyone old, young even infants.There damn technicians are not experienced its like they hire anyone off the street slap a dorkin sign on them and say hey find us some money. I also heard they have killed a couple of people do to there horrible 2 week training program
The only thing i can tell you if you have problems with pest DO NOT CALL DORKIN. Honestly local companies are way better than corperations they care a lot more about there customers and there more down to earth people . HEY IF YOU WANT HORRIBLE SERVICE AND A CONVICT IN YOUR HOME CALL 1800 DORKIN!
 4th of May, 2009 by   123abc -1 Votes
Cant agree with the benefits comments enough. I was a member of the management team for several years, but I had to leave. I just could not afford to work there anymore. As far as management no caring, I disagree if your talking about the branch level, its the corporate office that is the problem.
 9th of May, 2009 by   Better Pest Control +2 Votes
Being involved in the pest control business for the past 20 years, I can without a doubt say all this is true. I'm a current Terminix employee and will soon be starting my own business. Over the years I've worked for both the big guys and the smaller companies. A small reputable pest control company will take the time to do the job right because they truly value a customers business. The big guys just look at the numbers. Most of the people in management don't have a clue when it comes to pest control and customer service. Terminix is no exception. In fact, they are probably the worst when it comes to actually solving a pest problem. Their training program is pathetic at best. It's very basic and most of the people they hire have no prior pest control experience. Orkin and Terminix use a lot of hype in their advertising to sell an expensive and useless service. I know from experience they want us to use as little product as possible. It's all smoke and mirrors. In fact, if I use too much during any given month or even use my B&G sprayer, they will write me up. They are more concerned about the numbers than solving the customers pest problems. Another problem with both of these companies is their scheduling system. It is a new system that is the most inefficient scheduling system I have ever encountered and I'm sure it's costing the company millions. They will have me doing 16 or more stops a day that are scattered all over the place instead of having me in one area. It's totally insane and lacks common sense. They will have me in one area, send me across town, then send me right back to the same area an hour or two later, then back across town again. All for no reason...and most of the people don't even know I'm coming out. And it's a real joke when they keep scheduling food establishments during their lunch time. Like I said... No common sense. Both of these companies are a joke. That's why I'm starting my own. Customers and myself deserve better.
 10th of May, 2009 by   newbie123 0 Votes
Do you know what type of drug test they do? And do they check for adulteration? I'm thinking of signing on.
 22nd of May, 2009 by   changa +1 Votes
u suck so bad
 30th of May, 2009 by   OhReally? 0 Votes
The experience can vary from branch to branch. I believe that Orkin is a good company to work for, but there are definite disadvantages to working for such a large pest control company. There are a lot of rules, and not only can they make the job very frustrating, but they also make you feel like you are being treated like a child. The company is also very top-heavy and there are tons of people in Atlanta that do nothing and make good money doing it.

I'd like to correct something that the original poster said about Orkin's time-on-service... This may vary by region, but it's fifteen minutes minimum, not maximum. I'm pretty confident that if the region knew that your branch manager was trying to get you to do services in under 15 minutes that he'd get in pretty serious trouble. In my experience, the quality of service is something that Orkin takes very seriously (at least on paper).
 13th of Jul, 2009 by   hatechrismoore 0 Votes
Carmon Palifroni is an idiot and so is Chris Moore. Both need to be fired from Terminix. They are running south Florida into the gutter.
 20th of Aug, 2009 by   T.WALKER 0 Votes
I AGREE THAT ORKIN SUCKS BIG TIME !!! I HAVE BEEN AN EXTERMINATOR FOR OVER 10 YEARS . IN THAT TIME, , I BASICALLY SEEN IT ALL FROM "MOM AND POP" COMPANIES TO "MAJOR PEST CONTROL PLAYERS" ( LIKE WESTERN, QUINN AND ORKIN ) . FIRST OF ALL THEY HIRED ME TWO YEARS AGO WITH "LAVISH PROMISES", BUT JUST LIKE JAY C SAYS, THEY ARE "HEARTLESS SCUM" . I HAVE NEVER WORKED FOR AN "EXTERMINATING COMPANY", , THAT PUT "EXTREME WORK PRESSURE" ON YOU WITH NO APPRECIATION OR ANY "REAL LEVEL OF COMPENSATION" FOR YOUR TIME AND EFFORT . IF YOU ARE YOUNG AND DATING OR MARRIED YOU WILL HAVE A VERY "UNHAPPY WIFE" . ONE SUPERVISOR FROM ORKIN EVEN TOLD ME AND OTHER CO WORKERS TO "FORGET ABOUT HAVING ANY RELATIONSHIPS CAUSE WE ARE BASICALLY MARRIED TO ORKIN NOW" . MAYBE HE THOUGHT WE WOULD LAUGH, BECAUSE AT FIRST HE SAID IT "JOKINGLY" .. AFTERWARDS WE REALIZED IT WAS REAL !! IT WAS LIKE THEY PUSHED AND PUSHED AND PUSHED TO GET MORE AND MORE PRODUCTION OUT OF YOU ... FOR EXAMPLE : " CHANGING SCHEDULES AT THE LAST MINUTE SENDING YOU WAY OUT OF YOUR WAY, , , OR WHEN YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO GET OFF WORK BECAUSE YOU MAY HAVE PLANS ( DOC. APPOINTMENTS, FAMILY EMERGENCY, OR MAYBE YOU JUST WANT TO GO HOME BECAUSE YOU'RE TIRED ) FORGET ABOUT IT, , THEY HIT YOU WITH "EXTRA STOPS" REAL QUICK ON SOME SNEAKY SH*T .. HEY GUYS, , I THINK I AM A "LOYAL SOIDER", BUT THEY DO THESE THINGS TO YOU ON ALMOST ON A DAILY BASIS WITHOUT CARING ABOUT YOU HAVING A LIFE OUTSIDE OF ORKIN ... I MEAN, , IT WOULD BE "ALL GOOD" IF AT LEAST THEY GAVE YOU "POSITIVE FEEDBACK" AND PRETENDED LIKE THEY APPRECIATED HOW YOU ARE "SLAVING FOR THEM", , , BUT I WORKED FROM ABOUT 7:00, , 7:30 AM, TILL ABOUT 6:00PM TO SOMETIMES 7:30 EVEN 9 PM AT NIGHT " NO LIE OR EXAGERATION " . NOW, , I ALSO WORK OUT AND I'M A YOUNG GUY SO I "MANNED UP" AND "GOT TUFF" AND DEALT WITH IT, , ( MAN ITS A RECCESION RIGHT ) . AFTER ABOUT 6 TO 9 MONTHS I PHYSICALLY STARTED WEARING DOWN . I NOTICED WHEN I CAME TO THE OFFICE 80 % OF THE TIME, , MY "DAYS WORK" WAS NEVER READY SO I HAD TO WAIT AROUND THE OFFICE TILL ABOUT 8:30 AM TO 9:30 AM .. AT THIS TIME WHILE I'M IN THE OFFICE WAITING ON THESE "DITSY SECRETARIES AND SUPERVISORS ", , , AND CUSTOMERS WOULD BE CALLING AT THE SAME TIME COMPLAINING THAT I'M NOT AT THERE HOUSE YET, , BECAUSE I'M WAITING IN THE OFFICE FOR MY PAPERWORK HELLO !!! THEN SOON AS I GOT MY WORK AND LEFT THE OFFICE, , , ORKIN WOULD WITHIN "5 TO 10 MINUTES" CALL ME ON THE WALKIE - TALKIE HARRASSING ME LIKE " WHERE ARE YOU AT ??, WHEN WILL YOU GET TO THE CUSTOMER ??, HURRY UP !!, ETC " WHEN I AM RUNNING LATE BECAUSE OF THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE !!! WOW !! NOW I GOT "PISSED OF CUSTOMERS" MAD BECAUSE ORKIN IS NEVER ON TIME AND SUPERVISORS AND SECRETARIES WHO ARE PISSED OFF IN THE OFFICE BECAUSE CUSTOMERS ARE CURSING THEM TO HELL LOL .. WHO DO YOU THINK SUFFERS THE MOST IMPACT OF COMPLAINTS ?? HMM, , YOU GUESSED IT, , ME THE WORKER IN THE FIELD TRYING TO MANUVER A STICK SHIFT TRUCK THAT THEY NEVER, EVER TAUGHT ME TO DRIVE ( MY CO-WORKER WOULD TAKE HIS SPARE TIME AFTER WORK NEGLECTING HIS OWN FAMILY AND RESPONSIBILITIES TO LOOK OUT AND TAUGHT ME IN 3 WEEKS HOW TO DRIVE STICK ) ... I AM ONLY VENTING THIS BECAUSE I GAVE ALOT OF MYSELF TO THIS JOB I MEAN ALOT YOU WOULDN'T EVEN BELIEVE IT, , EVEN MY ORIGINAL BOSS WHO HIRED ME "QUIT" BECAUSE HE HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE "REGIONAL BRANCH MANAGER" ... WHEN THEY HIRED "THE NEW BOSS", , THE OFFICE HAD "EXTREME TENSION" .. NOBODY KNEW WHO WAS GOING TO GET THE AX NEXT !!! SOON AFTER, , THEY FIRED 3 OF MY CO WORKERS AND "THE NEW BOSS" STARTED BRINGING HIS PEOPLE IN .. THEN 3 MONTHS AGO THEY FIRED ME FOR "NO GOOD REASON" !! I THEN FILED UNEMPLOYMENT AND RECIEVED BENEFITS UNTILL MY "EX SUPERVISOR' LIED AND SAID, "I QUIT BECAUSE I WAS FUSTRATED " A COMPLETE LIE !!! ... MY BILLS GOT BACKED UP, CABLE AND PHONE CUT OFF ... CELL PHONE CUT OFF .. FAMILY DEPENDING ON ME NOW ARE HUNGRY ... I DON'T WANT A "HAND OUT" BUT I WAS FIRED SO DIRTY AND SO QUICKLY THAT IT WAS HARD TO ADJUST RIGHT AWAY ... I MEAN, , , I WENT FROM WORKING VERY, VERY HARD FOR 2 YEARS, , , TO OVERNIGHT NO PAYCHECKS AND GOING TO COURT FOR MY BENEFITS NOW ... THAT HURTS YOUR PRIDE, CONFIDENCE, BILLS SIUATION AND IS DOWNRIGHT EMBARRISING !! NOW, , , NOT ONLY AM I OUT OF WORK STRUGGLING IN THIS ECONOMY, , , BUT NOW UNEMPLOYMENT FLIPPED THE SCRIPT ON ME AND SAYS I HAVE TO PAY THEM BACK "$4, 500" DOLLARS BECAUSE THEY TOOK MY "EX SUPERVISORS" WORD OVER MINES, , "WOW" !!! ... SO, , IF YOU GET A JOB WORKING FOR ORKIN, , GOOD LUCK ... BUT DOCUMENT EVERYTHING !!! KEEP RECEIPTS, , BUY A SMALL DIGITAL TAPE RECORDER AND BRING IT WITH YOU IN THE OFFICE EVERYDAY HIDDEN OF COURSE ... TAPE THE CONVERSATIONS THAT YOU HAVE WITH YOUR "SUPERVISORS" OR "SECRETARIES", , ETC ... I MAY HAVE TOOK A "BIG HIT" RIGHT NOW, , BUT I HOPE MY STORY CAN SAVE SOME ONE ELSES JOB OR HELP YOU TO MAKE THE BEST DECISION ... THANK YOU FOR READING THIS ...
 13th of Sep, 2009 by   unknownnnn 0 Votes
Former Orkin tech here also. 2 yrs. Residential and Commercial. One of the WORST companies I worked for. Office manager never made sure there was enough supplies for all of us. When the truck came in, techs would clamor over each other trying to fill their truck with supplies. When my B&G broke, they told me just use it "for now" which turned into 2 months before I picked up a new one. I brazed the hole over in the wand after a week of waiting. Backpack always leaked. Service managers were just clueless. Asked them for some help and nada. It was like a giant backstabbing fest there all the time. Office girls would take messages from customers and wouldnt bother paging us until 5 min before they left. They knew by time we got the actual page they'd be out of the office.

Now on to the "mandatory meetings" twice a month. Nothing was more infuriating than being told at one branch meeting we need to change the way we set up rodent controls to this format, then the next branch meeting told to do it yet another way. With the number of accounts on my route, it would had taken me 2 months to finish up the first change they wanted.

Pay. Biggest thing that sucks on salary+comm is overtime being expected. Plus who knows exactly how to figure your check out with all the various pay scale setups they used. Also was real fun to be in a Walmarts/Home Depot/theatre chain/Kmart/malls that are on national accounts for hours treating the place only to get maybe 10% of the monthly charge (which was about $40/month for each of the walmart/Home Depot/Kmart stores I did).

Another big gripe was going into a new account totally blind. Sales people in the branch I worked in rarely ever left us notes or maps to where they put rodent controls or if it was a hidden key account where the key would be. I had one lady go ballistic when I asked which area of the house had the carpenter ant problem. Wasnt the first time sales did that to me. The salesman was buddy buddy with the office mgr so saying anything wouldnt had done anything.

Office girls would give out your personal cell number to ANYONE who calls the office, but when I asked for one of the salesmens cell number so I could ask him a question about the account I was at that he sold, the office girls said they cant give out personal info.

Like Mr Walker said, they do like playing games with the employees. My day ran from 6am to and sometimes past 9pm. When I ran a residential route they told me NOTHING was to be scheduled prior to 7am and after 5pm. Commercial I could somewhat expect though. Although when they fired me they said they were not gonna fight unemployment, which if they did, I would be all over the Dept of Agriculture about the disposal of unused chemicals at the branch ad lack of proper PPE being issued to the techs. I bought my own respirator, gloves, chem suit and chemical boots.
 1st of Oct, 2009 by   bullrider 0 Votes
yes they suck!!! orkkn that is!
 1st of Oct, 2009 by   bullrider 0 Votes
im not too surprised bywhat ive read thus far i will not let thisneanderthal ruin my life!!!
this brach manager is mike gilles from south lac he has ruined many lives throughout the course of rejeem
he will harrass and harrass till the brink! women and full grown men have walked out of the office with a litteral cryng breakdown because of mr gilles. why he still remains is unknown? this non-human was supposed to be fired with the other moron jack kurdsburg but somehow redeem himself at the last minute.
m.gilles will speak to all employees as if they are incoherent adults and offer advised in a negeative way..and he treats gay people unfair and he talks about blacks being lazy he just will not use his mind when he speaks to see if any open ear is around this moron needs to be gone soon!!!
orkin should look into the unfair treatment of this manager seriuusly!!!
before another lawsuit goes into effect!!!
 16th of Oct, 2009 by   PSC sucks 0 Votes
Currently work for this company for the last 4.7 years and each day it gets worse. First off they lay off or transferred the office staff to a new call center in So Cal about 20 months ago. Someone thought this was a great ideal, since all the calls will go to one centralized place. [NOT!!!] I think the turn around at the call center must be allot, since half of the time I never get paged about a call back or about a customer who rescheduled there service for the next day. So when I come into the office the next morning, I will discovered that I have extra stops that I didn't know about and it will be in areas that are about 20 to 25 miles away from the area that I'll be working in that day. So when I call my customers the night before and give them a time frame when I will be coming, sometimes I will be late. I just love that they only give you a 2 way pager that doesn't even work where I live. I had to have them send the pages to an e-mail account so I can make sure I get, when they DO send me the page. I just love how they only go by numbers [CXL %, bad debt, On Time, Sales, production/hr & Allowances] instead of customer service for your pay raises, so my pay has gone up .87 cents since I have been working there. I just love how they keep telling us that they pay the highest to there employees. I have former coworkers who work at other National pest control companies and there hour base pay starts about $1.5 to $2 more per hour. The other thing that sucks about this company is there is no motive to take a week vacation, since you only get paid your hour base pay. For example if you have an $8, 000 route and say you do $2, 000 per week and you take one week vacation? You will not get your commission check since you need to do $6, 000 in production before you get any commission. So I never take a week off and only take one day at a time. They get pissed off, if you try to the week stops that you will be on vacation if you have any overtime. I almost forgot about the 5 days that I did take off this summer [3 5th days and the weekend], I discovered that if there was any call backs for the days that I was off, they called the customer and told them that we need to reschedule since the tech (me) called in sick. I found out this info from the customer when I did the service. But for the stops that were a regular service where the tech will get commission, they had no problem doing it. Currently looking for another job where the employer cares for there employees.
 7th of Feb, 2010 by   roachkiller 0 Votes
I've worked for Orkin for the past 6 years. I'm miserable. Although, I do love my customers, management sucks a big one. They push and push. I have no life anymore. Threated constantly of being fired. I work 50 plus hours a week. No thanks yous around that office at all. We are treated like child labor. awful.
 18th of Feb, 2010 by   TPW 0 Votes
Here is the real truth. I worked for Orkin back in the 90's for 8 years as a Termite salesman in South Florida. I made over 60k per year every year with ease and had a company car that I could use anywhere. I also got gas allowance of $250.00 every month. I lost my job due to a DUI

I am happy to say that I am back home working for Orkin in Taylors SC with a group of folks that love the job. The customer service is the best I have ever seen. Little to no complaints and the very few complaints are handled right away to the customers satisfaction. My training was for three months and still ongoing.

I can say from 9 years with this company that they have great integrity and respect for the employee and the customer. Orkin is far better then any other pest control company I have ever seen and I have seen alot.

The service will vary from one region to the next, depending upon the manager. The companys policy is outstanding for the customers and the employee. If you called the home office, you would be treated like gold and your problem would be resolved. And the branch manager would here about it.

As for me. I'M an Orkin man and I will retire here this time. As for the bashing all I can say is it's very hard for me to believe the bologna I have read. Orkin pays the employees well and is not a bad company to work for.

Signed,
The Orkin Man
 4th of Mar, 2010 by   Applicant 0 Votes
I am interested in becoming a service tech in Los Angeles for Orkin, but I really don't know how much I can make. So before I go through the application, etc., can someone please explain how I will get paid - it sounds confusing. It sounds like I will get a base hourly rate (like $10 / hr), and then a bonus if other things happen? What are the "other things". How much could I make if all goes well. Thanks for any help.
 8th of Mar, 2010 by   orkinman 0 Votes
anyone who says orkin sucks well u suck yourself because orkin is the best company i ever worked for. So dont make up any bull crap about orkin because like they tell u before you start if ur a wimp and you cant take the long hours, realy good pay and benefits then go work at walmart as a door greeter cus thats all u would be good for anyway.

Investment Fraud