logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (1 mins ago)
CheapOAir
Dirty dealing, lying and fraud
2. (1 mins ago)

Posted:    NoMVP

Terrible Service

MVP Health Care
Schenectady, New York
I have worked for several HMOs, but it was not until I worked at a hospital and got MVP coverage that I found something to dislike about managed care.

MVP is, frankly, the worst run health plan I have ever encountered. Their customer service reps are pretty bad. They are unable to do basic things like run authorizations for visits without there being a problem. They are also underinformed about their products. I would say that 50% of the information they've given me on a call turned out to be wrong. I've been transferred to three different people, each contradicting the last. My tip is to keep getting transferred until you find someone who will give you the truth. I've encountered a couple of these old-timers who will get the problem solved, and usually bash the other reps. It's not that the other reps want to mislead you. It's simply that they have no clue about the answers.

The MVP network is incredibly small. Even the very large hospital network near me balked at it. The providers who do take it are often very wary to process your claim. They almost always want to bill CIGNA instead of MVP because MVP has a reputation for stalling on claims. Providers also don't appreciate the run-around they get on simple questions when calling MVP. I saw a specialist once who was told that he was covered. I got an authorization from MVP and then they called the specialist to say that they screwed up and that my appointment wouldn't be covered. MVP never called me, so I showed up to the appointment and had to pay a $100 cancellation fee rather than the $400 out-of-pocket fee. The provider had never heard of a health plan cancelling an authorization after approving it. That also never happened at HMO worked at over the years. But that's MVP: incomprehensible.

The MVP online provider directory asks you for your Subscriber ID. If you punch it in, it says that you've entered an invalid number. The only option is to manually select your health plan, which has its own problems. My plan is called "PPO Preferred" on my card, but you have choices between MVP PPO Preferred and plain PPO Preferred. Well, it's on an MVP card, so which is it? I called up MVP and they told me that the online directory never actually accepts your subscriber ID (the feature is under development). But they keep it up there. So probably thousands of people type and retype their subscriber ID until they just give up. Solid.

The provider directory also has a tendency to return zero results on the first search. You might go, "What, no pulmonologists in New York City?" Just hit "refresh" a couple times on your browswer. Eventually the hamsters within the MVP web site will return some results for you. Make sure you call them to confirm coverage. Some of the people listed as providers have been dead for a couple years, others have moved, and others have decided to give up on taking MVP.

Also, don't get fooled by the CIGNA logo on your card. It does not cover behavioral health or optometrists. You're not crazy, right, so what''s the big deal? Well, if you have migraines, you'll likely get sent to see a psychiatrist at least once to rule a serotonin deficiency. If there's not an MVP provider (and there's few in their thin directory) near year, you'll be paying out-of-pocket. The same would go if your kid needed counseling or your spouse wanted you to go to marital counseling.
Comments United States Health & Life Insurance
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More MVP Health Care complaints
MVP Health Care - MVP has not integrity

Comments

8th of Aug, 2009 by   dianamanwaring 0 Votes
I agree that MVP Health Care is a joke, especially it's so-called "depression care program." It's been like pulling teeth trying to get a new mental health referral and the social worker that helped me the first time around all of a sudden decided not to, now that the person she set me up with didn't work out. All my emails to her and MVP "member disservices" are being ignored.

With all my medical problems, I'm certain they think I'm costing them too much money and they're probably hoping that I'll give up and go away. Guess again!

If anyone out there knows of an attorney who would be willing to take my case, please post about it here. I would like to sue MVP Health Care asap. Thanks!
 5th of May, 2010 by   Corbin 0 Votes
You're right about them not knowing their product. Everyone I would speak to would give me a different answer. You're covered, you' re not. It's pre-exsisting, it's not. Luckily for OUR protection, they record the calls so there's no need for me to worry about getting something in writing. WRONG! Suddenly, your lawyer has to request the transcripts of the phone calls. 2 days later I get a call saying the records are for them only and I can't get them. Make up your mind MVP. What are you trying to hide? They hope you'll give up if they put you on hold long enough. BE STUBBORN! DON'T HANG UP! THAT'S WHAT THEY WANT. How do they sleep at night screwing people over all day?
I never got my premium statements, just late notices and then they canceled me. Now I can't get treatment even though I re-enrolled w/in the 63 days they set. Sound familiar to anyone?? I'd love to hear
 7th of Jan, 2011 by   klcb 0 Votes
Preface your call with, "I'm going to record this call also" and see how fast you get disconnected (which is really hung up on).
 31st of May, 2012 by   They just don't care 0 Votes
I agree with all of you. About four years ago there senior management team changed and it was for the worse. Their so called senior management team is a joke. No one ever works- you call them are get an out of the office on vacation- you call there back just to get the same recording telling you to call their back up and so on and so on. There's no direction given from their senior management team and their level of service has gone DOWN. They were very successful back in the day because they were the only carrier in the area (fishkill) but now there are many carriers in the area with a bigger and better provider network and outstanding customer service. Once again it goes to show you that a company that is top heavy FAILS in every way possible. If you have a chance google MVP salaries- you head will spin when you see that their CMO- Chief Marketing Officer, Dave Henderson makes more then the founder/president of MVP. Oh by the way did I mention that his salary is over a million a year plus bonuses and countless sales trips with lots of alcohol involved. So while the senior management team is out parting on our dollar your level of service diminishes and RATES INCREASE!!!. What a shame!!!
 20th of Jun, 2012 by   dennisjunior10 +1 Votes
This company is the worst, MVP should be immediately investigated by ALL relevant agencies and 3rd parties to invoke their licenses to provide services!!!

How to Save on Health Insurance