logo

Mr. Lube Complaints & Reviews - Held hostage sell sell sell

Mr. Lube Contacts & Informations

Mr. Lube

Posted:    Ian Hynds

Held hostage sell sell sell

When I rarely go to an oil change place, I want to go in, get my oil change and leave. In the past it normally takes 10-15 minutes to do so. I've tried a number of oil change chains here in Canada over the last 20 years and they've consistently provided 10-15 minute service. On 10/02/07 at Mr. Lube on Fraser Highway in Abbotsford, BC, I was essentially held hostage and exposed to a 30 minute sales pitch while waiting for my oil to be changed. It took 25 minutes for my oil to drain before they put in new oil. I wanted an oil change but they tried to sell me a, high-end oil, a deluxe air filter, new battery, engine flush and more. Every few minutes I was told by the pimply faced kid that they had checked something and recommended it be replaced. It didn't stop. I told the kid that I didn't have that much money and only wanted an oil change but that wasn't good enough, he didn't believe me. Every time he addressed me, he called me sir. Two or three time is enough but over a dozen times, give me a break! I've been charged with assault in the past and this was one of those rare occasions since that I wanted to beat somebody so bad. It's as if Mr. Lube employees follow a script for selling to customers, I don't know. An e-mail to the company e-mail went unanswered.
Comments Canada Car Service Centers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

7th of Jan, 2008 by   terry +2 Votes
I have been to Mr lube and had the same issue. Except I have noticed that a few times that I have been to two of the mr lube in the Ottawa area ( bells corners and another at baseline and merivale I have found that they have deliberately tampered with me radiator. When I called and complained the manager suggested I purchase rad flush from them. Im all for a quick oil change but with Mr lube I think im better off at the dealership or doing my self.

If anyone has the same complaint feel free to contact me terryenn@hotmail.com
 9th of Feb, 2008 by   Sid Saran +2 Votes
I agree, these people are rude and they will try to sell their whole shop to you. As a matter of fact they are expensive too. I called in for rust proofing they said $ 69.99 after saving $20 and @ other outlets its some where between $50-$60 including tax.
 26th of May, 2008 by   matt holms +2 Votes
Yes Mr.lube is a total SCAM. I have a friend that works at MR.lube, He tells me he talks people into services and parts they don't need. The other day he told me he talked a woman into $900. of services. They should be shut down. I recommend doing it your self or go to the dealer.
 16th of Jun, 2008 by   dave +2 Votes
I too was "held hostage" at a Mr.Lube in New Westminster BC. Instead of trying to argue my way out of an obnoxiously aggressive sales pitch, I had the young guy make a list of all the "items" that need replacing so I could double check his recommendations with a qualified mechanic. This move really silenced my solicitor.
 1st of Oct, 2008 by   CJ +2 Votes
I work at Mr lube. I recently was hired there. I have been around cars my entire life. I agree that it is over priced. Some people do push too hard. My thoughts are that if the customer says no, just leave it. There are some things we are required to tell you so we dont get fired, but a lot of us will laugh about it with you. I do all my work on my car myself at home. But this is a job to save up money for college. I understand all your thoughts, and I apologize. I just wish I could have served you. I am a very upbeat girl and I dont like unhappy customers. I do all I can to cheer people up.
 8th of Oct, 2008 by   gab -2 Votes
Mr lube provides a good service.. Im a manager there and i tell you right now that we are not here to f**K you over.. just to do are job man..
 15th of Oct, 2008 by   Nick +2 Votes
i went there today and they tried to sell me everything and anything i just wanted to get a tranny flush, boy was that a big mistake they try to charge me a 140 dollars so i just told them were they can go, and also the guys who was working there were all young teenagers and i couldnt see one adult in the whole place also when they changed my oil they stripped the oil plug bolt and charged me i really dont know what else to say but dont ever go to the Mr.Lube at Victoria park and Lawrence in toronto.
 19th of Nov, 2008 by   John 0 Votes
I was a previous employee of Mr Lube i worked at all the locations in Ottawa, I must say that what may seem to be a scam is not really just poor workman ship with lack of professional training AND BIG EGOS. And no quilty check the system that is put in place to protect the customer from for example a bad employee that really doesnt know what they are doing only benifits the company then it your word against theirs especially if the problem occured down in the bay no one is there to double check what he is doing. This is where the majority of major issues arise. AND be sure he aint fessing up he so threated to lose his job your fucked in court, got to the newest locations on terry fox as they have cameras to check every inch of your car up and down, avoid bells corner and baseline at all costs. Its great place to work and if you dont fall in to there highly competitve comission based sales and get only what you need you will be fine. And remeber that maintence is costly. So when they say a major engine compontent like the transmission or differential needs servicing 10/10 they arent lying they jsut get you on the expensive syntec oil and fancy fuel cleaning and additives the base oil is bargin for you TIME if you havbe time do it yourself . ANd if you want to be sure your protected go to the dealer. But i have worked there and i had things happen and i like mister lube but remeber KIDS are working on your 30, 000 car HA over my dead body!
 30th of Nov, 2008 by   camaro -2 Votes
I read these posts with disapointment and disgust. It's really too bad all you people have had such negative Mr.Lube experiences. I am a supervisor at a Mr.Lube in Alberta and have worked at a couple other Mr.Lubes in other provinces as well. First of all, people who have commented on "being held hostage", that should not be so because it is strictly against Mr.Lube policy to be doing pressure sales. I understand that a lot of people go to Mr.Lube with the intent of getting "just an oil change" but it is the employee's job to bring services to your attention. And maybe you don't agree but day in and day out I see people that go thousands of kilometres overdue for services and don't even have a clue what this can do to their vehicles!! So even if you don't trust these teenaged workers to flush your transmission, at least it's been brought to your attention and you can go somewhere else even. The reason you pay so much for an oil change is because you're paying for that! You pay for fluid top-ups, visual inspections and for service recommendations. If you don't want that then get your oil changed at a gas station for cheap! Mr.Lube is not a bad company and it's too bad you people, as customers, have let a pimply faced teenager who stripped your oil pan drain plug be the face of Mr.Lube as a whole. Better luck with future services!
 15th of Feb, 2009 by   Gilbert +2 Votes
What Services and recommendations?
$90 fuel filters? which can be bought for 5-10 dollars
$75 cabin air filter? Outside price is 10-15 dollars
$40 wipers?
$11 taillight bulb

Mr lube is overpriced.
 1st of Mar, 2009 by   olivier +2 Votes
ive had the same problems over the past i mean i just bought a 2009 honda civic so after about 5000km i take it for an oil change at mr lube in orleans ottawa and they give me this huge pitch sale about all the maintenance that should be done they even buged me with getting a tranny flush i mean the car dosent even have 10 000km it retarted and they price too much i think ill stick with oil changers thanks they dont derserve my business
 9th of Mar, 2009 by   Luberiffic -2 Votes
I have worked for Mr. Lube for almost 5 years now. I don't know how all the locations operate but I am certain that the owner I work for runs an honest business. At all his locations the formula is simple. Following the guidelines in the customers owners manual make recommendations based on time and mileage for products and services that enhance the vehicles performance or help prevent costly repairs. Anyone caught misleading a customer or misrepresenting the need for replaceable items gets fired.
 5th of Apr, 2009 by   SLD +2 Votes
Today I brought my vehicle to Mr Lube on Douglas St in Victoria, BC. I would have preferred to go elsewhere, because of the hard sell and scare tactics the last time I was in, but I had left the oil change to the last minute and needed it done today. Previously, they had tried to sell me a $90 fuel filter change and $200 fuel injection flush on a vehicle with 24, 000 km on it. Overall, I was satisfied with the oil change itself, however, I could have lived without the pressure to replace the fuel and air filters at inflated prices. After I assured them I would take care of things at my next oil change in 3 months, they let off. However, I will be taking my vehicle to another service station for a second opinion instead of Mr. Lube.
 1st of May, 2009 by   Mr.lube Operations Manager -3 Votes
Actual compliment letters from happy Mr Lube customers...posted by a Mr.Lube Operations Manager...
Hello ****,
I absolutely love the service I get with you guys! *** and ****** were great, I know I had a few other people rotated in to do stuff and they were great but I couldn't catch their names. They explain things that they notice that needs to be done, and if it's something that isn't an immediate danger they tell me what the cost to expect would be which is great. I specifically get up early on Saturday mornings and take the car by myself rather then waiting for my partner to wake up because I know I can trust what your staff is telling. We don't have any services like this in Nova Scotia, where I came from, you may want to look into opening a location there!!! :)
Thanks for the great service
~********
 1st of May, 2009 by   greg -2 Votes
I work at mr lube in victoria and Need to correct last comment.
Fuel system service is 99. not 200. and it is less than any place around,
Also dealer guidelines for this service is 25 k so if you do not choose to clean your car that is your decision but it is offered properly.
also fuel filters have to be changed regularly otherwise they plug up with deposits.You can probably buy one cheaper but then you will pay your mechanic another 50.00 to put it in.So stop complaining about the prices.Everything is expensive.Be happy that someone is looking after your car and if you want to do the service somewhere else, that's fine, At least you know when and what to do
 7th of May, 2009 by   Derek +3 Votes
We're here for an oil change. A relatively simple procedure to complete. Do your jobs and hush with the extra services. Your sales tactics are highly annoying, let alone very uninformed and borderline unethical. I do not take advice from a pimply faced teenager. I only take advice from a certified mechanic. The fact of the matter is, I don't trust Mr. Lube, Jiffy Lube, Quick Lube, Active Green & Ross etc. There have been numerous complaints about unethical & sloppy procedures carried out at each one of these businesses. I'd rather pay the higher labour rates at a dealership and know that at least there, I am receiving quality recommendations. I keep my own database of work that has been performed on my vehicle. I'm well aware of what needs servicing and when I'm being improperly advised by oil change facilities. My own disappointing experience comes from Mr. Lube and Canadian Tire, both very unprofessional auto servicing facilities. It's unfortunate that oil changes are very expensive nowadays but unless you're interested in changing your own oil, quality options are limited.
 30th of May, 2009 by   molotov62 +3 Votes
Yeah. Those pimply faced kids did a courtesy check on my cabin air filter and and told me that wasn't any filter present at all. Now I had bought my car (certified) used @ 22500 km and serviced it at 25600km at an authorized Subaru dealership service shop. Both service records indicated that the filter had been changed. That sly son of a B**** must have removed it and slid it in their underground service bay when I wasn't looking. He charged me $89.99 for a new one when they cost only 16.99 at my local Canadian Tire. I went in there for a $65 oil change and wound up paying $ 356 in total. I've vowed that never in my life will I ever go to these scamming centers again.
And to you Mr. Greg of Victoria, an uncertified unqualified employee has no right to suggest what a customer really needs. We are the kind of patients that walk into a medical clinic with a simple cold and you guys are kinds of unqualified doctors who suggest a FU***** 'Brain TRANSPLANT'. All us victims ought to get together and launch a class action lawsuit against your scamming corporation.
 1st of Jun, 2009 by   tech1234 -3 Votes
so... im a tech that works at the store in victoria im just going to say a coulpe things first of all im currently in school to be a mechanic im a first year apprentice we have a second year and also a 3rd year now before you say that nono of us are not certified the mr lube training program once it is finished gives you the ability to chalange the second year apprinticship so to let you know i know for a fact that we actually know what were doing cause the store in victoria is the number one store in canada it is the number one for customer service, product knowledge, service knowledge and we take pride in that now for some one to go and lie and say that we are over priced and are lacking knowledge i worked at a dealership for a period of time and i would never take my vehical to them cause they dont know what there doing and the take so many short cuts at doing everything. now another thing. were not scamming anyone and im sorry to let you know that most subaru cars come un equiped with a cabin air filter and dealerships are known for charging for services that we never done so i belive you were ripped of at the dealer ship and i do not appriciate being slammed for some person some place in another part of the country and! and! and to boot the services we do are better services than most other garages do and also if you plan on slamming us aka molotov62 i belive you need the FU**ING brain transplant because first of all you have no right cause you dont know if someone is qualified or not i can tell you that greg is actually fully certified technician now before anyone responds to my post i just want you guys to think before and dont fu**ing rag on us for just trying to pay for either school or being able to make a living cause were not the bad guys.the bad guys are the ones who try to rag on us for us telling them a fully informed peice of information to maintain a vehical but anyways another thing to think about there are about about atleast a million customers that come to mr lube a year and on this page there are 10 people trying to rag on us so i think that you guys need to regive mr lube a chance cause apparently you had a bad tech now thanks for the time
 2nd of Jun, 2009 by   DavidMG +2 Votes
My experience with Mr. Lube has been a steady decline to the point where I won't go anywhere near it. It's a shame, but I really can't trust them to do even simple oil changes now.

I used to be perfectly happy with Mr. Lube as far as doing simple work, just oil changes, anything else seemed to be beyond their scope now that I think back to the many times I was in.

I was doing all my oil changes on my 92 Nissan 240SX when I got it, my first car. The first time I went to Mr. Lube, was for a coolant flush. Messy job, didn't want to deal with it. Bubbles were left in the system and it started overheating the following day, went back and got it sorted out. Didn't think much of it at the time, small thing, engine was never in any danger.

Next time I was in was to change the transmission oil. I inquired about doing the VLSD oil and got a puzzled face from the manager because he wasn't sure if a viscous LSD required a different type of oil versus a plain LSD. At the time I also didn't think much of this, but this should have been a sign.

I found a great mechanic to do all the work on my 240SX and I kept doing my own regular maintenance stuff.

I bough a second car, an 05 Toyota Echo Hatchback. This one I decided to have serviced by Mr. Lube in order to have records to back the warranty. Probably into my 3rd year of owning the car, after many visits to Mr. Lube and getting increasingly aggravated by recommendations on fuel injection cleaning and such things, it was pointed out to me that I was due for a coolant system flush. I thought it might have been a bit premature, but I didn't have the maintenance schedule with me so I thanked the kid for the heads up and told him I'd get it next time since I was in a rush to get out.

The car was suddenly louder after that visit. Always during wide open throttle. I figured it was the air box not properly closed. Verified this as soon as I got home. While checking the air filter as part of the routine, the kid hadn't closed the air box properly. Yet an other unheeded warning.

Next time I'm in I get a different guy, a noticeably more knowledgeable bloke and I asked about doing the coolant flush. He looked in his manual and told me the car wasn't due for that for a very long time, something I confirmed on the Toyota manual. These cars came with an extremely long lasting coolant mix. This kind guy told me he would put a note on my file about this.

Next visit was my last one. Plain oil change for the Echo. The kid this time, while looking through his files, spotted the note I was told about on my previous visit and read to me what it said. "Do NOT lie to customer about coolant flush!" I had even more respect for the last guy after knowing he wrote that into my file. I was happy so far as long as long as I just stuck to oil changes. Got my oil change and a few days later I gave the car to my dad and went back to my 240SX.

Two weeks later my father asked me if I had noticed a rattle in the car coming from the engine bay. This didn't sound right to me as I'd been driving it for close to 4 years by that point, not noticing anything unusual. I drove it the next day after he mentioned that and sure enough, there was a distinct rattle that rose and fell with the rpm's. At the end of the day I popped the hood to try and spot where the rattle might be coming from and regrettably it sounded like top end, the valve train. I opened the oil filler cap to get a better listen and this time the sound was really bad. I confirmed my worst fears. Valve train noise. Turned the car off and had an other look into the oil filler hole. To my surprise, I found that the oil splash guard that runs underneath the top of the valve cover, above the camshafts, was bent downwards. There was a very noticeable scratch from whatever had been jammed in there and bent the plate down so that it was rubbing against the cam lobes.

Great way to reduce the engine's life, might as well have thrown a penny in there.

I repaired this myself and instructed my family and friends to never take their cars to Mr. Lube since they can't be trusted to do something as simple as filling up the engine with oil. This could have been a MAJOR repair down the road if it hadn't been spotted.

That's the end of my relationship with Mr. Lube. I wish I could go back since it's so convenient, but I really can't trust them with something as basic as an oil change anymore, on a very basic car like the Echo, let alone a more expensive, more complex car. I contemplated writing a letter to Mr. Lube, but until now I hadn't been public about this other than telling my circle of influence to steer clear and find a better place to have their oil change done.

5th of Jun, 2009 by   Blah +2 Votes
I was a tech at the Mr. Lube in Abbotsford for a year (06-07), and the prices are not a scam, because it's convenience you pay for. However, while working there we were told to do very unethical things by our manager. At first we weren't but then our first manager got fired and was replaced by a new guy who was there to bring in more revenue for the store (it is a very slow location). These are some things I can remember:

The bulk 10w30 Castrol Oil that the techs will use the oil gun to fill your car with is not just Castrol 10w30 oil. When we would be overstocked with expired oil in bottles (that were different weight, different brands, different additives, etc.) we were told to dump it in the Castrol 10w30 tank. We would also dump in different brands if we stopped selling a certain one. And any Lube tech will tell you that you shouldn't mix different weights and oil brands together (Mr Lube policy does not recomend this as it will cause the additives to deplete faster and not be as effective in your motor). So if you think you are paying for true Castrol 10w30 oil, your really paying for some knockoff Mr. Lube concoction.

A couple times our manager would be on the floor and we would replace a persons air filter that was due for a change but still appeared in good shape. Our manager would just put the used one in a new box and throw it back on the shelf. He would instruct us to do the same as well.

When doing a transmission flush, were supposed to follow strict recomendations from the manufacturer according to Mr. Lube Poilcy. Our manager would just let enough flow through the machine to empty the transmission and fill it back up. This would not change all of the old transmission oil and we would still charge them for a full flush.

When we wanted to sell a Differential fluid change, we would take the dip stick tool and wipe some old grease on it, or the engine oil and show it to the customer. (If the tech does this, ask to go downstairs and see the fluid for yourself.)

When we would sell a radiator flush, we would dilute the mixture with way more water than recomended.

If we did not meet a certain sales quota we were always in trouble and would not make as much commision, so we were always pressured to sell anything, regardless of it being required or not.

Like I said this only started once we got this new manager (his name was Ryan). He is also Area manager for the Surrey store by King George and Maybe some other one. In any case, I don't think it's the techs fault. You're paid shit there unless you can make some sales, and this manager isn't running all of the stores, mentioned above, so most of them probably don't do this.

Mortgage Costs are Going Up