logo

Home Depot
Practicing Bigotry
3. (17 mins ago)
Light In The Box
Poor Customer Service/Dress made wrong the wrong size!
4. (18 mins ago)
Receiving dolls

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Melaleuca Complaints & Reviews - Online scam!

Melaleuca Contacts & Informations

Melaleuca

Posted:    1student

Online scam!

Melaleuca
www.Melaleuca.com
I was browsing the web where I can about this program. I emailed them. Said why not and it's worth a try, and had only cost me $1.00 to sign up. Well I asked every question under the book. My one question, 'Do I have to purchase anything monthly?' They said no. I asked them again, but in a different form 'So I do not have to put out any money a month for this?' They replied just for the material that it cost you to advertise. But non towards their products. I sat in an hour length phone call. The only thing it went over and over again on was how much money you can make, and all the promotions going on.

Well the next month came along, and well let's just say I felt real low trying to purchase something for my newborn at the store. Because I knew I have money on my credit card, and it was denied. This one wonderful lady offered to pay for my items, but I said no thank you and called my credit card company up right away.

Melaleuca had charged $34.98 or some amount to my credit card. I put a dispute on it and called up Melaleuca the following business day. They told me it was in the contract. I said 'OHNO!' I asked that question before hand. They then told me that if I would had read the contract it states it in there. Well see the only thing though, is that you give all your credit card information over the phone to the lead person. You don't actually see the contract.

It's just a big scam. I never bought any of their products because I told them that, I was in the middle of moving, and had NO extra money. So I could afford the $1.00 set up fee but not $34.98 or whatever the amount was a month.
Comments United States Online Scams
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

15th of Jul, 2009 by   tigger765607 0 Votes
I agree with all those that defend Melaleuca, I LOVE MELALEUCA! The idea is simple and you are all trying to complicate it and expect Melaleuca to run the company according to YOUR wishes. If that's the case, you can pay out the ying yang to scientifically develop and patent your own wellness company. Huh, didn't think so!! You guys have some nerve, when the owner and CEO of Melaleuca is giving YOU the opportunity to put an endless amount of money in your pocket if you agree to spend SOME money on the products every month and build the business according to your OWN efforts. There are lots of lazy people out there!!! HELLO, the CEO did the hard part already and we are benefiting financially every month for just a small price. YOU should be thanking him for the opportunity. And, for God sake learn how to read and listen. Or maybe you guys need to get your eyes and ears checked.
 22nd of Jul, 2009 by   kelk 0 Votes
Ive been a melaleuca customer for 7 months and I LOVE IT!!! I amke more money now then as aretail manager...What is wrong with you people you have to spend money at the grocery store anyway what I spend goes back in my pocket. I was told about the 35 points when I joined and I tell all my people too when doing a presentation. There products saved me from spending so much time at the docters office and gas to and from store. My daughter had asthma and is now asthma free and I stopped getting pnemonia so much! They are not a get rich company but over time it pays off. You need believe in the products if you join just to make money then you shouldnt have joined in the process. Melaleuca recieved an award from better business bureau last year when companies were going bankrupt that says a lot to me. Melaleuca IS NOT a scam. Sounds like the person how enrolled you was the scam on not giving all the right info. I am doing very well and Ill make a note to wave at you when they give me my new car in a couple months!!!
 5th of Aug, 2009 by   arbry 0 Votes
Daniel C, dude, saying something does not make it true. Melaleuca's business plan IS an MLM, as much as VEMMA's or anyone else's, whose plan is virtually identical. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but lying is. And they get you to listen to their pitch by saying it's not an MLM or selling -- it's just referring people to use products you use yourself. But in order to make the money they tell you that you can make, you definitely have to sell people on this particular way to realize the dream of residual income (read that "easy money") AND to sign up for a monthly commitment of $60-$70 for products they haven't even had a chance to try out yet. (If the products are so wonderful, how about letting us try them first and THEN sign up, instead of having to sign up and beg for forgiveness later if we're disappointed?) So that is misrepresentation of the business opportunity, which makes Melaleuca just like every other such company, many of which also have excellent products. Again, you can make money with this type of marketing, but MOST of the people signing up will simply end up buying products that they can't use at the rate at which they are required to buy them. I myself am a single man. I don't clean much and I don't need beauty products. I like VEMMA for my vitamin and mineral supplementation and find that adequate. I dont' need or use pharma products. I could not possibly use $70 worth of Melastuff every month. Plus I live in a small town in Iowa, so who am I going to refer it to?! There is no marketing base here, so of course I'll have to buy leads, and do on-line marketing, and cold-calling and the whole bit. Same as the guy who Mela-pitched me. AFTER he misrepresnted the opportunity enough to get me to sit still 45 minutes for the (poor) webcast. I just don't want to do that, and I can't blame many of these folks who felt misled, even though most truly did behave naively and in a couple of cases stupidly and childishly.
 13th of Aug, 2009 by   Mark777 +2 Votes
99% of all online complaints against Melaleuca are broken into two things. 1) people who did not know about the minimum commitment each month and 2) people who didn’t know or understand how to cancel. In either case, this points back to a failure of the person who showed it to you, not the company itself.

For almost 25 years now every Melaleuca preferred customer has agreed to buy at a given base point commitment level in exchange for the discounted price and dozens of other cool perks . For that same almost 25 years now you have been required to send a letter to cancel if you choose to do such.
The Internet gives people a platform to be heard and while that in and of itself is a good thing; there unfortunately is no real context to random complaint posts. Over half a million people order each and every month from Melaleuca yet I can only find at best a couple dozen people online that have anything negative to say. To complicate matters, a few of these people go and post the same thing again and again on various message boards to make it look like there are a lot of people having problems when in reality, that Is just not the case. Once you do find these small groups of people, their complaints really trace back to having a problem with the person who showed them the company not disclosing information and their issue is not really with the company itself.

Weighed in it’s proper context, it looks as if less than 1% of Melaleuca customers have a problem or issue worthy of posting about it online. When you compare that kind of figure against other companies, that is an almost unheard of positive number as it relates to customer service.

So long as humans are talking to others about Melaleuca and other humans are the ones listening to them, there will always be potential misunderstandings and such. It’s just human nature to be misunderstood from time to time. Who reading this hasn’t been misunderstood or even falsely accused at some point in time? A complaint posted on a site like this may very well be believed whole heartedly by the person posting it, but that doesn’t mean it’s factual or accurate. It just means that’s what they recall.

Everyone here should learn that there is a HUGE difference in doing honest research on a company and simply doing a google search. Actual research involves things like careful study of company policies and due diligence on things like if the company is in debt, or if they are involved in any major litigation. To truly put Melaleuca’s products to the test in your own life, you’ll need to buy some and see for yourself if they really are better, just like you have done for years now with Johnson and Johnson, Proctor and Gamble and others.

At the end of the day, you probably have a better shot at being struck by lightning than having a bad experience with Melaleuca as a company. Unfortunately, the odds of you having an issue with the person presenting Melaleuca to you are a bit higher and that is why it’s important you choose carefully who you sign up with.

Make sure you ask questions like “what precisely and specifically do I have to do to build a business with Melaleuca?” If the person talking to you can’t spell out an exact plan for you, they are not yet trained properly and shouldn’t be doing a presentation yet. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t enroll, it just means you probably shouldn’t enroll with that person. When you enroll with a person who really cares about helping you and is able to spell out an exact plan of action leading to your success, the sky truly will be the limit for you.
 13th of Aug, 2009 by   Mark777 0 Votes
and yes, I would be happy to enrol you and personally work with you...

24th of Aug, 2009 by   Mousie Soshie 0 Votes
I also disagree with Melaleuca being a scam. If any scams are done, its done on the part of the person talking you into it and not the company. When I joined it was simply because there are severe allergies in my family to chemicals and finding anything 'all natural' costs an arm and a leg at the store. I am saving nearly half on my grocery bill each month because of Melaleuca and their LOW yearly membership fee is definitely worth the savings I get each and every month. To me, signing people up and making some extra money is only a bonus. Also, I earn free merchandise, get savings through major cooroporations that are partners with Melaleuca and they have won awards from the BBB and other places which only confirms that Melaleuca is no scam. If you are scammed, then you need to take it up with the person who scammed you because they are not representing the company's true policies, in fact, they should be reported.
 24th of Aug, 2009 by   Me14 0 Votes
I have been with Melaleuca since July and I can tell you that I haven't been anything but extremely pleased with EVERYTHING!!! I paid $1.00 to join and have paid roughly $50-$60 a month on things that I was already buying. There is NO extra money here! Yes, the product do have higher prices than WalMart, HOWEVER, they last sooo much longer!!! I bought a bottle of shampoo in July and have used it daily, and it's only half gone. I have extrememly long and thick hair, typically I go through a bottle and a half in a month, but this is still going strong almost 2 months later. It isn't a scam, you are paid for what you put into it. Not reading the contract is your own fault and you shouldn't place the blame on someone else. It is put right out there in bright colors before you enroll what the guidelines are, and no one is forced to enroll. The opportunity is presented, all information is provided, questions are answered and that's it. It's the person decision 100% after that. I love Melaleuca, they have a life-long customer in me!!!
 22nd of Sep, 2009 by   Hardie 0 Votes
In Market America also you can choose to be a distributor only and not participate in the management compensation plan. Joining that way it is not a network business, but it provides only the retail profit. The MA monthly obligation is about $80 at first, but it is stuff you use anyway. The entire monthly obligation in either company is probably tax deductible anyway. (See your tax accountant)
 23rd of Sep, 2009 by   enviro chick 0 Votes
WOW, there are so many people out there who just want to complain.
I was happy to see many comments stating the root cause of the problem is the person themselves...by not reading what they signed up for...not melaleuca.
If 35 pts is not doable, then quit and if having to write a letter to quit is too much trouble than I wonder how these people will do in life if they are too lazy to read and write. Jeez
 2nd of Oct, 2009 by   meccano 0 Votes
The general argument in defending Melaleuca seems to be that people didn't know, realize or understand what they we signing and agreeing to. That may be and is a valid argument, yet with all the similar complaints here and everywhere else on the web wouldn't you think that something is wrong in the way the program is communicated to these people? At some point, if Melaleuca really wanted and desired for you to have a clear and straight understanding of how they do business are they really dumb that they have figured it out yet? Why can't I find ANY of this information out on their website. The answer seems obvious. First, the people at Melaleuca are NOT dumb. Indeed they are very smart. Melaleuca could have people market their program in an easy and straightforward manner. They clearly have not change the convoluted way the market themselves and their program except when law has required changes. Why haven't they made changes to help avoid the confusion? Because it is to Melaleuca advantage for people NOT understand the mandatory purchases and automatic charges that will follow because otherwise most people would simply walk away from the get go. Frankly the idea that a company who wanted me as a customer would force me to buy certain amounts of items and charge me regardless whether I needed, wanted, desired or could even afford them is such a foreign and absurd concept I would never even think that might happen. All these monthly minimums, automatic charges, various percentages off, various percentages back, automatic deposits and automatic withdraws, distributors and up lines sales this and that is all serves one purpose...to confuse people and not let them realize they just signed up for costly unwanted monthly charges. If it was this convoluted to shop at …Amazon.com or Target or even a membership store like Costco do you think they would be in business? No! The only reason the Melaleuca hooks people in is because they over hype the positives and leave vague and great anything that would normally raise red flags.
 2nd of Oct, 2009 by   SARAHLOUP 0 Votes
I AGREE, Melaleuca is like joining a bad nightmare that you can't wake up from. I joined Melaleuca and was a customer of theirs for 6 months. During this time, I only bought vitamins from them. At one point, I was a week late in ordering the vitamins and they sent me a box of stuff I did not order and would never order. I called and asked why they sent me this stuff and charged my credit card for it and they said because I forgot to order my vitamins they sent me a "back up" order to fulfill my monthly membership obligation! I supposedly filled something out that picked items to be sent to me if I did not order something in a month! NOT SO MUCH! I did not fill out an order form choosing other products to be sent to me if I did not replace my own order. I think I would remember such a thing, especially when my order was shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap, etc...My question to them was "WHY THE F WOULDN'T YOU SEND ME THE SAME ITEM I HAVE BEEN PURCHASING FOR THE LAST 6 MONTHS INSTEAD OF A BUNCH OF CRAP I DON'T WANT" to fulfill my order. They of course in their friendly superficial tone said that is not the way it works and said I could ship the items back to them for a full refund. HAHAHAHA - FULL REFUND, MINUS THE $15 IT COSTS FOR SHIPPING. STRIKE 1 - paying for shipping for items I didn't order and didn't want. Okay, than I was told I had to terminate if I didn't want the following months shipment. So...I called them on August 27th and told them I would be sending in a termination notice and they better not send me another shipment for September because I didn't want it. They of course in their friendly superficial tone again said "Oh but mam, the termination notice had to be sent in by the 25th not the 27th - HAHAHAHA. So, I said in my friendly superficial tone, "I don't think so, I want to terminate now and I don't want the September shipment". The lady said that because it was only 2 days after the deadline date and the shipment doesn't usually go out until the last day of the month, that I should send it in and write that I didn't want the September shipment and it shouldn't be a problem. GUESS WHAT? A couple of days later the UPS man comes aknocking on my door w/ what you say? Thats right, another box of crap I don't want. So...I tell him to send it back and don't even accept the package. One week later, I called and told them they better refund my card and they said in their friendly superficial tone "NO PROBLEM, BUT YOU'LL HAVE TO PAY FOR SHIPPING - NO NEGOTIATION, NOTHING"...HAHAHAHAHA - SPENT $25 in shipping and got nothing! I started off just being late a week on my order to NEVER NEVER dealing with these people again. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. ALL OF MY FRIENDS WILL HERE ABOUT THIS AND I'VE GOT A LOT OF THEM (STARTING WITH ALL OF THE PEOPLE THAT WENT TO THE MELALEUCA SIGN OVER YOUR CHECK BOOK TO ME PARTY). ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS SHAKLEE BABY - ALL THE WAY!
 7th of Oct, 2009 by   Melacustomer 0 Votes
I have been a very happy Melaleuca customer for over a year and am now making a nice income referring customers to Melaleuca. It is obvious from the complaints that the problem people are having is not with the company, but from people that signed them up. Every organization has personnel that are not up to par, and those people generally don't survive. The same is true for Melaleuca. A representative that is not honest will make people angry and will not be successful at it. An honest person will be able to build an honest business with informed customers. I have a 96% customer retention rate in my business, and I'm sure other people do too. It is very important to stick to the facts when it comes to the company itself. It is sad that some folks referring others to Melaleuca have apparently left out important information. I am not sure how people do not know about the 35 points or the backup orders. If I heard that once, I heard it 5 times when I was first introduced to the company.

By the way, as recently as 2008 Melaleuca was awarded the Blue Torch award from the Better Business Bureau. It is also in the Better Business Bureau Hall of Fame. The CEO has been named Entrepreneur of the Year by CNN, Ernst and Young and USA Today. The accolades go on and on. For facts about the recognition this company has received, try looking at http://www.melaleucaawards.com.
 27th of Nov, 2009 by   MAURICETH 0 Votes
TO ALL THE PEOPLE THAT THINK THAT MELALEUCA IS A SCAM, THIS IS SO WRRONG IT IS NOT THE COMPANY BUT THE PERSON THAT ENROLLS U.AND FOR ALL THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE ENROLLED IN THE COMPANY AND SAY THAT"THE COMPANY CHARGES ME EVERY MONTH WITH OUT MY PERMISION"JUST INCASE U FORGET I WILL MENTION THAT THATS WHY U ARE SIGNING A CONTRACT AND IF U FEEL FISHY ABOUT IT WHY NOT GIVE IT A READ BEFORE SIGNING.AND THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY U CAN ENROLL OVER THE PHONE OR INTERNET WITHOUT SIGNING ANY CONTRACT AGREEMENT.I HAVE PERSONALLY BEEN IN THE COMPANY FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS MY COMMENT"THE COMPANY IS GREAT, THE PRODUCTS ARE HIGH QUALITY, AND VERY CHEAP".BUT I GUESS MANY PEOPLE HAVE HAD A VERY BAD EXPERIENCE WITH THIS COMPANY.
 10th of Dec, 2009 by   Santa Fe 0 Votes
I HAVE BEEN A HAPPY MELALEUCA CUSTOMER FOR YEARS AND I LOVE MY MELALEUCA PRODUCTS. THEY HAVE DEFINITELY ENHANCED MY LIFE. MELALEUCA HAS ALWAYS STOOD BEHIND EVERY PRODUCT. I WILL ALWAYS BE A MELALEUCA CUSTOMER. I HAVE SAVED SO MUCH MONEY BY BUYING MELALEUCA PRODUCTS AND I HAVE SHARED MELALEUCA WITH SO MANY PEOPLE AND ALL OF THEM LOVE THE PRODUCTS. I AM A BUSINESS BUILDER AND I HAVE ENJOYED BEING APART OF SUCH A WONDERFUL AND CARING COMPANY.
BEFORE A WAS A MELALEUCA CUSTOMER I WENT TO A NATURAL MEDICINE CLINIC AND FOUND OUT I WAS DYING OF TOXIC POISONS WHICH CAME FROM HOUSEHOLD CLEANERS. THEY DETOXICED MY BODY FOR 8 MONTHS AND SAVED MY LIFE. I WAS TOLD TO FIND ALL NATURAL PRODUCTS AND MELALEUCA HAS DEFINITELY ENHANCED MY LIFE. I PLAN TO KEEP SHARING MELALEUCA WITH OTHERS TO HELP THEM SAFE MONEY, USE SAFER PRODUCTS, HELP THE ENVIRONMENT AND TO ENHANCE PEOPLES LIVES. THE PEOPLE THAT COMPLAIN NEED TO BE MORE MATURE AND UNDERSTAND ABOUT MELALEUCA BEFORE BECOMING A MEMBER.
 31st of Dec, 2009 by   Yuba City 0 Votes
I too have been a Melaleuca customer for about 18 months and think if the rest of the business world operated like Melaleuca the world would be a much better place. Most of the complaints seem to be people that can't read, or write and are happier complaining. People need to suck it up and take responsibility for where they are in life. If you want a business opportunity there is NOT a better deal out there, the products can not be beat, and when you figure out you get 10-15% back for ordering early in the month, the shipping is free and you still get another 4-9% back, NOBODY beats this company. If there is anyone who can't use a few extra dollars a month now days, I will be happy to have them endorse the checks or send the cash to me. Happy New Year, be smart, join Melaleuca and change your life!
 11th of Jan, 2010 by   nelsondr0225 0 Votes
I think this complaint is all a bunch of crap. For those of you who have actually taken the time to read this far into this website please notice that most of these are just copied and reprinted several times under several different email addresses. They may be slightly changed but this is just someone who is vicious and has nothing better to do than to try to influence a stranger with their twisted stories.
 11th of Jan, 2010 by   Uh huh 0 Votes
Of course people will say that this is fake, but after doing my research, none of their products are approved by the FDA and not just that, I looked them up on a baby website and they do not disclose all of the toxins in all of their products which can affect infants and adults. They are not as "green" as someone may think and this is coming from someone who has been a member for years and actually researched them recently. If you are a member, look for their true ingredients and you will see on some of their products they are not as "eco-friendly" as they claim.
 29th of Jan, 2010 by   cjames221987 0 Votes
my brother was doing malaleuca because he lost his job and it was free to join but this company made him more broke than he was before, they charged his credit card month after month, now he's doing a business call 5Linx where he doesnt have to beg people to buy, he does sell cell phone, home phone, Satellite TV, Home security, Broadband Internet and more. you can check his website at www.5Linx.net/ceus
 29th of Jan, 2010 by   littlemama 0 Votes
I have been a member of Melaleuca since 2004. My daughter used to suffer with severe eczema and asthma, since using these products it has almost completely cleared up. I have always been extremely happy with the service I receive from Melaleuca and found them pleasant to deal with. I did not get into the business side because I decided it wasn't for me as I had small children and didn't feel I had the time to put into it but the option is there in the background should I ever decide to give it a go. I know many people who have made an excellent income from this business.
I signed up because I wanted eco friendly non toxic cleaning products for my home and for the sake of my childrens health as a result none of my children have been to a doctor since 2005, I think that is testament enough for the company!
I don't understand why people would sign up for something over the phone and give out personal details and credit card details without reading the contract. That is nuts???
 4th of Feb, 2010 by   Smiley One 0 Votes
I am an avid fan of Melaleuca!! I used to do it as a business but now am just in it for the product. This is not a get rich quick scheme!! You can make money fairly quickly if you put in the time and effort but usually that's not the case. Everyone needs to realize that there are dishonest people in every business, corpration, and even church and unfortunately some people will lie to get money off you. Let me say that Melaleuca is a reputable company that sells environmentally safe products. By becoming a member, you are obligating yourself to purchase their products monthly. You can order via phone or online and most product is received in 1-2 days. If you forget to order, a prepackaged generic order will be shipped to you automatically. You can cancel at anytime but you must send them a letter with your signature stating you want to cancel. Though I no longer do it as a business, I have a few friends that do and they are very well off for dedicating their time in making this their business. If you do it as a business, you are trying to get people to become members. If you are doing it to onlymake a money, that's where the problem comes in and people begin lying!! But if you truly believe in the product, as I do, you will let anyone you speak know the truth about how the business works. As I have already stated, I truly believe in the product!! There are a few times when I had to cancel my membership due to low finances but I have always rejoined because the quality of the product is that good, in my opinion. So in summary, Melaleuca is not a scam but maybe some of their independent marketing reps are not up to par so be careful. Melaleuca products are legitimate!! Melaleuca is a membership based business that can be very lucrative if you decide to do it as a business! And by the way, I never bought any leads, etc when I did it as a business!! You can if you want but free leads are available elsewhere! Word of mouth is best!!

US Targets Financial Fraud