logo

Main Street Host

Posted:    RobK18

Fraud

Main Street Host
I received a call from Main Street Host telling me they would guarantee our company high ratings and even 1st page placement on the search engines for our Bed and Breakfast. They called me 3 times and finally convinced me they had the integrity and ability to help me build my business. They charged me

$5, 000 to do this, and told me within 6-8 months I would see a huge difference in our business. They were very professional and business like,

so I believed them. A year later, with no returning my phone calls about us not seeing any changes, and trying to talk to a supervisor, I gave up.

I am still paying off the credit card and have seen NO results.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

15th of Jan, 2010 by   Joyce1234 +1 Votes
I was promised the same things by this company and got nothing. I disputed the charge with my credit card company after getting no where with Main St. Host. They credited my account and I did not have to pay. Why don't you do the same? Credit cards are supposed to protect you from fraud in any amount over $50. Main St. Host tried to even charge me after I discontinued their services, so I had to dispute the charges. Good luck to you.
 2nd of Feb, 2010 by   lisa lake +1 Votes
Mainstreet Host is Run by Gangsters - Lots of good info!

Hello everyone, I'm posting on Mainstreet Host

I specifically created a profile so I could comment or reply to posts about Mainstreet Host. I was cold called by some scumbag male from this shitball company as Incredible Help stated... he said "I'm returning your call about SEO services"...this was LD from New York area so I was a little puzzled and said "I never called you". When he insisted that I did call hime I told him he was an idiot. He laughed as if he was some harmless soul who only wanted to help me out. He went on about their services and how they are the greatest and that they can put my website on 6, 000 search engines withing three months! I didn't even think there were that many SE's - this was about 4 years ago but don't even think there are that many today, are there? Anyhow, innocently, I told them that I wasn't ready for SEO yet as my website had still to be finished. When I told him my budget was under 600.00 he immediately went on ab how his websites are the best, awesome, I wouldn't be sorry, and he would skyrocket my status on the web in no time and create my site for only an extra 400.00!!! So the total would be about 1, 000.00 for website, support, SEO, website creation and maintainence etc for one year...I thought that this was ok since a good site was approx 5K back then. I warned him that I was very picky and that I'd be a pain if things didn't pan out the way I was promised. Well, the webmaster called me finally after two weeks (I had to email them about 5 times first), and we started working out the site plan. I spend countless hours sizing and resizing pictures, figuring out the text, fonts, backgrounds etc...basically I did all the work and they simply put it in html. The site actually never launched. Why? Because it took them 4 months to complete two pages and poor ones at that. The graphics were horrendous, cut the wrong way, streched, discolored and too small. Layouts were horrible. I spend many many hours at one point in the whole frustrating process, actually designing the page myself on Word which turned out fantastic and eyecatching - the only thing it needed was htlm! The ahole didn't even know how to do the html properly! Didn't know how to crop and size the photos or centre text even! Agoninzing i tell u. So after about 6 months the 5 ugly webpages were finished. I told them over and over i didn't like what they were doing, not what i asked for etc...to deaf ears. At one point, the gangster that originally called me out of the blue heavens, called me and sort of threatened me also. He said "what do you expect for $1, 000, miracles?? You should have gone with the higher package". I had originally told him that I could not afford the fee at the time and that's when he went into "I'll give u a great discount and create a package to suit your budget". He didn't tell me tho that the package was worth nothing. I had "sucker" written all over me because at the time, I knew NOTHING about seo etc...but I learned real quick. So after di**ing me around for months and withdrawing the money from my card, they still had not even submitted my site to ANY of the search engines! I was investigating them long before the six months were up. I had tried also to get my payments stopped but, VISA doesn't do that for their patrons, be warned! Before I launched them to the curb, and after for months, I investigated submissions, link popularity, the html on the site, just everything that you check for to see if a website is done correctly to be fully optimized. What do you know, the scumbags never submitted my site to ANY SE'S! At all. I did multiple searches with multiple keywords on multiple engines on a routine basis. NOTHING. I also did robot checks, spider checks, you name it. NOTHING. EVER. And on top of this, i found numerous errors in the site and in the meta tags, keywords; all of it was wrong and poorly designed. I'm sticking to the main details but I have a folder two inches thick with all the facts. I had asked for a refund but of course the gangster said "no way". He did his part. Tough. Sol. So I decided that I would go to VISA and get the refund there. WRONG. Visa are a bunch of gangsters also. They don't give a fig about their clients. Before all the money was paid, VISA said the whole amount had to be paid before I could file a claim to get it back! I should have "lost" my card and stopped services immediately. I did do this as soon as the amount was paid after a few payments. I got someone else to "steal the site" from under their nose and host it elsewhere. I waited on VISA for an answer after spending months putting together my report which was 16 pages long. I spoke to numerous reps at VISA only to get dicked around some more. In the end, they sent me a letter stating that I was not eligible for a refund as I had authorized the sale. DUH, VISA. I f***g know this. If that's that was their policy, why didn't they just say, "know what, you're sol, take a nap, have a nice life" instead of telling me to write this report which took me a LONG TIME TO DO. Because I was so thorough in my investigation and had the facts and proof of poor service printed from the web onto paper, I thought surely, they would see the obvious. I even printed out the site I had requested and the site I got and that wasn't enuff. I checked thousands of SE's, large, small, all kinds and typed them onto a chart along with details of whether or not my site was listed. Well that goes to show you we are controlled by gangsters. I also want to say the Mainstreethost.com is seriously run by hoods, or gangsters. I mean this honestly. I was also afraid for a time when I got crappy with them and they were a little threatening. I don't recall exactly what the guy said but I remember thinking that if I pursued this and won, I would probably be hit. So even though I went to VISA, I also felt a little relieved that i lost although I shouldn't have, because they had my address and knew where to find me. Since then, my credit card is new (different number), my addresss and phone number are also different from the info they had on me before. So the moral of the story is: if you can do something on your own, dont' hire anyone else to do it. I have learned a lot since then; i do my own submissions and all that and have pretty decent luck. Mainstreet Host did absolutely nothing but cause me extreme anxiety and stress and robbed me 1, 000.00. Sorry about this looong post and probably some spelling errors as I'm going fast here. Had to get it out. Hope someone gets them one day and puts them out of business for good. Then again, we have forums like this one and there are blogs aren't there? Yup.
 10th of Mar, 2010 by   medavis +1 Votes
They keep calling and calling and calling. I have called their corporate office demanding to be taken off their calling lists. They still keep calling and calling and calling. Main Street Host, just go away, please!
 7th of May, 2010 by   eddie evans 0 Votes
I just paid $20 for an "analysis." I hope they don't try to charge me more. I analyze my own pages. I have over 1, 000 web sites. See someone's elses comments about www.greeninformation.org would be very useful, but I can't afford getting ripped off. I might have paid $50 for seo work, but no more. I have no more.

I want to thank the contributors here and thank the folks who made this board available.

Eddie Evans
greeninformation.org
 22nd of Sep, 2010 by   johnn1234444 -1 Votes
I don't get it? I use main street host right now and have good results, I'm on the first page of google, bing and yahoo. it took a few months to see results but that's normal. after a year im on the first page. i'm happy with the results.
 3rd of Dec, 2010 by   renahuang 0 Votes
i want to do optimize my website, who should i believe?
 3rd of Dec, 2010 by   renahuang -1 Votes
my website is www.heregogo.com wholesale nfl jerseys, nhl jerseys, mlb jerseys, nba jerseys, wedding dresses, evening dresses
 17th of Jan, 2011 by   StanHalsteadPhoto +1 Votes
I was contacted by Maistreet Host and offered a full, complete analysis of my websites rankings and full keyword search. I was also promised a full report on how to improve my search engine ranking and a guarantee that I would be in the top results of major search engines, Bing, Google, and Yahoo.

They recieved payment and today I recieved a report that my website name was tyed into search engines and it came up. No kidding? I KNOW it will come up if you type in the name. Any 3rd grader knows if you type in the name of a website it will come up. And that is ALL they did. No recommendations report, no keyword search, nothing.

This is complete fraud and nothing but. Their actions are criminal and I am filing complaints to the proper authorities. My number is on the Federal Do Not Call list and they viollated law there as well. Fortunately, payment was made via PayPal and a dispute has been filed there.

Do not trust these scam artists.
 17th of Jan, 2011 by   Joomlamerica +1 Votes
This outfit is a TOTAL ripoff and needs a big skull and crossbones as their logo. One client was already with them when I started her site. She is a motivational speaker, comedienne, voiceover artist, and author. Main Street sent her an email last week telling her they had succeeded in getting links to her site on some sites that would help improve her ranking in the search engines. "your links are being added to other sites to get you more exposure on the internet which ultimately makes the search engines, like Google, “see” your site more often. Each time they go to one of these sites that has your link on it, they spider through the pages and will find your link. That link will force them back to your website. The more we can get them coming back to your website, the more “important” they will think you are. This will help them to recognize your site and get the work you have done with your optimizer noticed. It is not done to get you traffic from people visiting these websites. It is not there to tell the search engines where you are located or what it is that you do. All of that has to do with your keywords and phrases. It is done to make the search engines return to your site more; that is the plan. It is truly as simple as that."
The five sites that would help her improve her ranking so greatly because of the key word searches were: a breeder of teacup poodles in Canada, a home inspection company in Canada, a tree surgeon, and two disk jockey services in Ohio and Connecticut! And not a single one of those sites they sent displayed a link to her site. Three of them don't even have a PLACE to display links!

If you or your friends are contacted by Main Street Host.com, slam down the phone and run the other way.
 3rd of Mar, 2011 by   steveboj +1 Votes
Just fell pray to Main Street Host, can't believe I fell for it there so F'ed up that multiple sales person's called me not knowing that I had already been hooked, scammed and stopped payment to them. nothing but lies and phoney analytics, however I now hang-up immediatly on ANY AND ALL SEO's that call me the second they announce who they are.
 24th of Mar, 2011 by   efru +1 Votes
They pulled the same garbage on me. $1, 700 later I have received absolutely no benefit from their program. They send you monthly "updates" to your site which are nothing but links to their other customers, thus creating a large link network.

Avoid like the plague.
 21st of May, 2011 by   mad as hell @ Internet Consulting Servic +1 Votes
Main Street now - INTERNET CONSULTING
Beware CROOKS
 21st of May, 2011 by   mad as hell @ Internet Consulting Servic +1 Votes
Internet Consulting was Main Street Host, BEWARE, BEWARE, BEWARE.
Hide your charge cards !!!
 21st of May, 2011 by   Reviewer101 +1 Votes
In a weak moment one of their sales people bullied me into signing up for SEO on a site I was still revising. I made the really dumb mistake of not goggling them first before verifying my order by phone. Found I simply could not operate the way the consultant wanted me to. I think it was better optimized before they got involved. The only useful thing they did was put my Google Analytics code on all 600 pages of my site. Before I'd only had it on my index page. When I did finally get around to checking them out on Google and talking with members of a web design discussion list I'm on, I found all these reviews of what had happened to others. At this point in time they had already charged me $600 for the SEO which was entirely unsatisfactory and a bit deceptive, and they were taking $100 more a month from me for updates.

I immediately called my bank that issued my credit card to reauthorize the payments. They said they couldn't do it because of the voice authorization. After a bit of conversation with them, I opened a dispute for the $200 saying I was very dissatisfied with the service, and if I'd returned any other product I wasn't happy with, I know as a merchant myself that a chargeback would have been done. Then I closed my card. They told me that just reporting it lost and getting a replacement would not stop the charged because of that voice verification recording. They explained that although the charges only came monthly, I had, in fact, authorized the entire amount, and was stuck for it.

I then finally got through to someone at Main Street Host again to complain. We argued for a long time and he finally allowed me to cancel the contract. The next time I went to check my Google Analytics, I discovered someone had closed MY Google Analytics account, and it wasn't me. I don't' know how they did it, but it made useless the only useful thing they had done. Of course, it goes without saying that I immediately changed my PW on my server before calling calling Main Street Host and ending my contract. I also emailed the consultant and told her I wouldn't be needing any more services from her. I'm sure she'd the one who closed my Google analytics account, but I still don't know how she got the PW because I don't think I ever gave her that. She didn't need it to get my code, which was already on the site.

There may be other SEO outfits that are reputable, but I suggest you Google anyone who contacts you by phone. From now on I will not do business with anyone on a cold call. I will not make anymore voice verification tapes. The price I've paid isn't as high as what many others have paid for this education. The threats they make are subtle -- you report me to BBB and I'll report you type threats. Nice guys to do business with -- not!
 2nd of Jun, 2011 by   Skip Shot, Ltd. +1 Votes
They are located at:4250 Ridge Lea Road, Suite 69, Amherst, New York 14226, also have a Vegas office. If they contact you and you are in another state they may be guilty of interstate fraud. I would contact the New York State Attorney General's Office and file your complaints there requesting an investigation. The more the better regarding them. I checked here before responding to their sales pitch. Glad I did! Please go after them through law enforcement. They deserve to be on criminal charges as it is no accident. Good Luck!!
 27th of Jul, 2011 by   Ketherelyon +1 Votes
These guys are arrogant, rude, and flat out pushy. They bullied my boss into using their services, and finally after my constant insisting (and having paid them thousands of dollars so they can put us at the top of google after typing in a whole sentence for a search string), we're finally putting them to the boot. OH HAPPY DAY.
 28th of Jul, 2011 by   StanHalsteadPhoto +1 Votes
Well, they don't get the hint when you tell them to go to hell... I have gotten a couple of calls from them since I posted here and happily offered to put my foot up the arse of the guy calling. What I like is when they claim you don't show up on search engines... how the hell did they find me then??? LOL
 3rd of Sep, 2011 by   MainStreetHostScam +1 Votes
I have monitored what MSH has done to my friend over the last 4 years and have recently gotten involved to stop it. They are arrogant, threatening, dismissive of questioning, and secretive about their "proprietary methods." They install a link page and cross link with their other clients. They install a link to themselves in your footer. They will design a website if you need it to get you started, but then they do precious little for maintenance of your account or SEO improvement once you have paid. Sam Evangelista, who aggressively went after the contract renewal, did not want to talk after the sale - he was always "up to his ears" in work and terse with me every time I called. He hung up on me yesterday. He'll say that he's busy and will call me in 30 minutes, and I'll be calling him the next day. My take is that they know enough SEO to win some sales and they keep clients who aren't informed enough to call their BS. So they make money and stick around. They take what they can, give nothing back, and don't improve search placement. My friend paid them $6000 per year. He could have paid $5-10 a month for a hosting account somewhere else. Don't trust them at all.
 3rd of Sep, 2011 by   StanHalsteadPhoto +1 Votes
I have gotten 5 calls from Main Street Host since they were told to not call again. After speaking with the Wyoming Attorney Generals office I learned that I can press criminal harassment charges, so the next time they call it will be recorded to give to law enforcement and I will be pressing charges against these appearant frauds. I still get a kick out of how they told me that I don't show up online at all and when I asked the clown on the phone "How did you find me then?" he was speechless. BEWARE!!! When someone tells you that you don't show up on search engines, do a search while they are on the phone for your type of business and your area. I did and learned that I am all over page 1 of Google, Yahoo, and Bing.

I have gotten several calls from others, possibly even Main Street Host, who claim to be Google. After contacting Google I learned that they do not operate this way. (I suspected as much)
 27th of Nov, 2011 by   SamPetie 0 Votes
Do NOT use Main Street Hosting. They promise you optimization after analyzing your site, and then inform you because your site was uploaded incorrectly, for another $700 dollars they will rebuild your site. They point out everything wrong with your site; try to tweak the layout all the while destroying the original design. They claim to return calls and do not. They convince you, you haven't a clue what is wrong with your site and only they can fix it. They are pushy, rude and only want the money with no service. DO NOT USE THEM! I am attempting to cancel. They crashed one of my websites they were working on and they claim they could fix it for more money. They are horried.

Cosigning a Car Loan