logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Dealer Warranty LLC
Not honoring the extended warranty
2. (7 mins ago)

Magic Chef Wine Cooler Contacts & Informations

Magic Chef Wine Cooler

Posted:    John M.

Compressor failure

My Magic Chef wine cooler, MCWC16MCG, died last week. It was an '05 Xmas gift; purchased at Home Depot in Seattle; operational for the last year in my home in Medford, OR. It is my belief that the Compressor has failed. Where can I take the unit for service?

Thank you for a prompt response.
Marlene Henselman
Comments United States Appliances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

13th of Sep, 2007 by   Craig Matheny 0 Votes
I have the same problem and amazingly enough, mine was also bought from a Home Depot in Seattle. I just noticed that it hasn't been running recently and also believed a failed compressor is to blame. I have not contacted anyone about it yet, since I just noticed the issue a day or two ago.
 6th of Jan, 2008 by   Jim Taylor 0 Votes
Seems to me to be a common failure with this model sold through Home Depot. My compressor (made by LG) failed, but didn't trip the overload. Forunately I was home when it overheated.

My problem could have been serious. What to do? Toss it and remember who made it. I am not going to take a chance with a fix that may not work either.
 16th of Jan, 2008 by   bruce bergholz 0 Votes
Purchased a new magic chef 30 bottle wine cooler when I built my new home in 2005. Was built-in under the counter. 2 years later the compressor stopped working. Home Depot was of no help at all and refused to work with me to get it fixed or replaced at a reasonable cost. They said the compressor was under warranty and to call Magic Chef. I called them and they said that it was possible that the compressor went bad but that I would have to have an appliance repairman out to look at the unit before they would send out a replacement part.

I contacted the repair shop Magic Chef recommended and was told that there would be a $60.00 charge for him to come out and look at the unit and determine if the compressor was actually the problem .If it was, he would have Magic Chef send him the compressor (at no charge because it was under warranty for 5 years) and then come out and replace it and charge the compressor.

The second service call and the replacement of the compressor plus charging was going to cost $320.00. With the first call this would be a grand total of $380.00 to fix a $200 wine cooler that was only two years old.

Do you see why I will NEVER buy another Magic Chef product and will NEVER EVER shop at a Home Depot store again. They are only concerned about bonuses in the stores and customer be dammed. They look for the cheapest products they can with the biggest margain. WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO HOME DEPOT HAVING WORLD CLASS CUSTOMER SERVICE? They sure don't have now and either do some of their suppliers.
 5th of Feb, 2008 by   Merlyn walden 0 Votes
Piece of shit/// mine went out after 2 years also !! Company will not give me tech support to find problem.Even tho I have the tools to do so.. I`m loading it in the truck and telling Home depot what they can do With it !!
 4th of Mar, 2008 by   Jay Briley 0 Votes
A friend gave me their Magic Chef wine cooler with a failed compressor. Found out it was not worth fixing. It is going to make for a decent sandblasting cabinet after popping out one of the panes of glass. Might make a cool reptile terrarium.
 29th of Mar, 2008 by   Mike Smark 0 Votes
I am another Magic Chef wine cooler loser! Magic Chef knows these compressors are bad and will not do anything about it. Only thing to do is boycott Magic Chef products as mentioned until they go out of business or take responsibility for the product failures. They know nobody will seriously go after them as this is a "throw away" product.
If anyone does have a failure, turn it off immediately as it has a serious overheating problem and fire potential. Then deliver it promptly to a local Home Depot at the front door with a note saying "Thank-you" and please dispose of this piece of ... responsibly!
 12th of May, 2008 by   E.Krueger 0 Votes
My magic Chef from Home Depot also failed with compressor problems. The repair dept. charges $25 to look at it.
 10th of Jun, 2008 by   c.pizzuto 0 Votes
I also purchased a magic chef wine cooler for christmas o5 from Home Depot and the compressor went on it last month. All sources, store & mfg, gave me same info which stinks. In speaking with others it seems the compressors last about 2 to 3 years and that's it. I think Home Depot should step up and so something as it has occured many many times and make the vendor replace it both part & labor.
 11th of Jun, 2008 by   oonsark 0 Votes
I too purchased the 52 btl Magic Chef cooler. Upon set-up I could not get the temperature to go above 51 degrees - even on the warmest setting! I called Magic Chef. They sent out a local tech (non-magic chef) who determined the thermostat was broken. He said it would cost more money to fix the unit than replace it, so Magic Chef refunded me the money (or maybe HDepot did). Anyway, two years later (this past fall), I went away on vacation. I came home and sure enough the compressor stopped running. I suppose, at the end of the day, you get what you pay for, right?
 15th of Jun, 2008 by   s valentine 0 Votes
I also have a magic chef wine cooler that was bought as a Christmas present 2005 from Home Depot in St. Louis MO. It went out a few days ago. I figured it would be more costly to repair than to purchase a new one. Based on the previous notes it appears not worth repairing. I will purchase another wine cooler but it will not be magic chef or from Home D2bepot.
 6th of Jul, 2008 by   Michael 0 Votes
Just purchased, at Home Depot in Melbourne Florida (last week) a Magic Chef wine cooler (2 zones/ 45 bottles) to finish up our new kitchen...

As soon as the wine cooler was connected, we heard a rattling compressor noise...On and Off every 30 minutes...Same noise as a very hold fridge...

Based on all the comments I have read, I am returning this item to Home Depot and will never touch a product made by Magic Chef...Beauty of the internet and Consummer Power...
 15th of Jul, 2008 by   Denise Birckbichler 0 Votes
Hi Same story here...bought a Magic Chef wine cooler at Home Depot three years ago..It was always noisy...and I noticed the other day..NO NOISE><>>of course the compressor had gone out...they told me the same story at The Customer Service number...if I called a repairman and he deteremined it was the compressor..they would send one but it would be at my expense...this seems to be a pretty common problem..May be a lawsuit would be in order for all of us..Way to many people have experienced this flaw...
Let me know what everyone thinks...
Denise Birckbichler
amore1025@aol.com
 16th of Jul, 2008 by   Keith Fulton 0 Votes
Obviously we have made the mistake to buy a product with the magic Chef name attached to it. Bought my unit in November 2004 and it went down ( compressor problems) in August 2007. Bought mine for close to $200. I called Home Depot today and they gave me a number to call 888-588-6753. Of course they were closed for the day but apparently Home Depot is the prime dealer for Magic Chef and the people you call are in Atlanta (Home Depot HQ) I was told. I called the number and I got a recording stating that they were called Franklin Chef and they have a web site www.franklinchef.com . Also got other info that e-wave bought Magic Chef and their number is 888-775-0202. Curious if anyone has gotten any customer satisfaction from anyone dealing with the horrible units.
 9th of Aug, 2008 by   Kevin Scott 0 Votes
Discovered my MCWC52B was not cooling this AM. The compressor was very hot... too hot to touch! Comments on this site suggest its not worth the effort to fix. Out to the dump she goes.
 17th of Aug, 2008 by   Dan Kettwich 0 Votes
bought 2 MCWC52B ...both broke within a month. I never thought of an appliance to be disposable. Guess they are. Looking for another brand.
 18th of Aug, 2008 by   ETWright 0 Votes
I also have a Magic chef wine cooler & bar size refrigerator. I've had both for about 2 years, and both stopped working. both appliances were purchased from Home Depot in Turnersville NJ.
I have a friend who is a refrigerator repairman. The repairman checked both appliances and both compressors have gone bad.
It is obvious from all of the responses that Magic Chef has a compressor problem.
Why don't we all exchange emails, get together and file a civil case against Magic Chef???
I'm sure we would all get our money back from either Magic Chef or Home Depot.
 21st of Aug, 2008 by   Mark Endo 0 Votes
I have a Magic Chef Wine Cooler (mcwc52b) that makes a clicking sound which, I believe is coming from the compressor. The compressor is very warm, but it isn't doing anything so the cooler is not working. Is it worth getting a new compressor?

Mark
 24th of Aug, 2008 by   magicchefhater 0 Votes
Don't buy Magic Chef AT ALL. It rattled for so long, I had to unplug it. I found out online that a burnt compressor could start a fire. Real nice--in my new, super-expensive condo. And guess what, neither Home Depot nor Magic Chef give a shit about human beings in this F---ING country. Corporations are evil and are destroying the fabric of our society. This is no longer the land of truth and fortitude. Although I was taught and practice these virtues, I am alone. My response: rack up all credit cards, foreclose, claim bankruptcy and repeat. Otherwise, Congress will not regulate corporations. What these entities do overseas is even worse...makes me sick to my stomach as an American. We need a radical solution!!! Don't ask me though, because I haven't a clue...
 31st of Aug, 2008 by   dennys 0 Votes
i have mine for two years and is quite silence and still cools pretty good and had no problems.
so there always quite a few that dont make it but mine still fine

Dennys
 4th of Sep, 2008 by   Tim Stephens 0 Votes
Bought my Magic Chef wine cooler for my wife as a B-day gift April 2007. Worked fine till about May 2008. Magic Chef was no help. You can hear the compressor running, but it never stops and the unit never cools. Thought it might be the thermostat so I bought one from M.C. Same problem. I guess it is the compressor even though you can still hear it running. I think we'll just dump it and buy another brand.

Voter Fraud