logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (20 mins ago)
Strax
Bad surgery almost killed me
2. (24 mins ago)
HotBoy Designs Music Centro Liam Toller Scam
HotBoy Designs Music Centro Liam Toller Fraud
3. (38 mins ago)
Binary Global Group
they do a fraud with people
4. (43 mins ago)

Macy's Credit Card

Posted:    Concerned

Credit card fraud

Macy's Credit card fraud

It happened to me, the Macy's credit card fraud. I am writing this to alert anyone reading of this Macy's fraud department.

It works like this, when you buy any products from Macy's they ask you if you want to signup for their card service, if you say yes, they try to put your new purchase on the new card so that it gets activated immediately and you become liable to use it. I had given them my existing credit card, I dont know why they put the charges on the new card.

I called their customer service to remove the charge from their card and put it on my card. They went ahead and closed it and put a balance on my credit report. All without informing me or contacting me.

I paid their card balance in full this is after they charged me a hefty penalty fees they wont send me a itemized bill. The penalty amounted to 271$, for a charge of 46$. The Macy's customer rep said that I should not have paid without getting a itemized bill, completely side stepping the issue.

I think I am legally entitled to an itemized bill. Please can anyone reading this advise me.

Macy's really hurt my credit score.

And now after having paid them for an year, they wont update my credit report. I call them get transfered from department to department.

I am also writing to find out if there any thing legally. In retrospect , any card which is offered in a Shopping mall is risky, this is to all teenagers and youngsters.

Hope that helps
Concerned Consumer.
Comments United States Department Stores
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

29th of Sep, 2007 by   Blue Fish 0 Votes
Yes everyone needs to be aware of Macy's sneaky ways of getting charges on your card and then annoyingly calling both your personal and business phones regarding your payment.

I too had the same issue of requesting to see the itemized bill since yes and I will take blame, I did not make the payment on time and yes I do know you are assessed finance charges/late fees. Nonetheless, I wanted to have something in writing so I know what I'm paying for. The customer service personnel gave me the list of the itemized charges via the phone and low and behold, it didn't even add up. They were charging me more for what the itemized charges were. Figure how that happens.

I am now trying to follow up on something else on my bill called "FLEX". If anyone knows what this is, let me know because Macy's keeps calling my cell and business phone, but whenever I answer it, no one answers. This same thing happened with my first issue with them. I finally called several numbers and spoke to someone and request they stop calling me. They said if I would like them to stop calling me, then I'd have to submit something in writing, which of course I did. And of course it didn't work because it's happening again.

The most frustrating thing is that communication is only one way, they charge you, phone you when you don't pay on time, but they don't listen to your concerns.

I'm cutting up my card and closing this Macy's account. Their discount is not worth my time sorting out these nonesense with them.
 30th of Oct, 2007 by   PJ 0 Votes
Hi. I don't know if this will be helpful to you or not, but several years ago I had a charge on a Macy's card ($45) that went into collections unknown to me. (Macy's was at fault. They had entered an incorrect address for me in their computer, and I never received their bills). When I discovered it, I wasn't sure how to correct it (since the information had been entered on my credit report) . A friend suggested that I make an official complaint at the President's/CEO's level, because the President doesn't want any problems like this on their level. I did just that, first with a phone call, then followed up with a letter. I paid the original amount I owed them, (I wasn't disputing that), and had them remove the bad credit mark from my credit report, as well as the collections information, and I closed the account. Result: The bad mark placed on my credit report was removed, as if it had never been there (I think it took about three weeks). Note: You must tell your creditors that you want the bad/wrong information removed from your credit report once the problem is cleared up with them because it is not automatic (although it seems like it should be) to do that. (Creditors are quick to put back marks on someone's credit report, but don't make the same effort to remove info that has been disputed and found in favor of the client). Start at the top. I think you will see a difference. Good luck. PJ
 3rd of Nov, 2007 by   Signor +2 Votes
I just had a problem with my (now canceled) Macy's credit card.

It turns out when you open a card, there are TWO accounts on said card. One is a regular Macy's Visa, and one is an "in-store account" or flex account.

The trick of it all is that when you pay the card, you must specify which account. Not knowing there were two accounts, I incorrectly paid my balance to the Visa account, effectively giving me a negative balance on that account and then being penalized for not paying the correct account which still had the original balance.

Thankfully a call to customer service was mostly helpful. They transferred the balance to the correct account and removed the fee. But then they told me that I had a 3.60 "insurance" fee because apparently I (or rather, the salesman) initialed somewhere that I wanted insurance.

I knew nothing of insurance, nothing of the dual accounts . . . I fell for a salesman's push to get a percentage off on a purchase. Obviously I should have questioned everything and scrutinized the contract for an hour or so in the store to avoid these charges.

Needless to say, avoid the Macy's credit card unless you have considerable time on your hands to understand its nuances.
 17th of Dec, 2007 by   T Rex +1 Votes
Oh my god!!! u have to be so f*ckin careful.. when i signed up for their card... they automatically checked the box that i want to enroll in some kind of crap.. which was almost 99$ a year (one of those protection program)... and guess what i paid i saved 10$ for purchase and my finance charge was 4$..what if i missed the payment... it would have been almost 30$... the thing is you have to be manually uncheck those box...they just assume that you want their fraudulant service... I will never shop at Macy's for their unfair business...
 26th of Dec, 2007 by   robert j anderson +1 Votes
Just had the same routine with those conniving theives... and the Amazon VISA I signed up for at amazon.com did the same nasty little stunt last year...

Face it folks, stealing by deception is apparently legal and in practice by major US retailers across the country...

I signed up for a big instore discount to open a new credit card account at Macys December 2007.

They DON'T mail a bill... but set a due date that guarantees by the time you do get a bill, they have already socked you with enough late fees to make back the instore discount they gave you.

And, to make it even more vile and decptive, their web site (macys.com) and their mailings make it almost impossible to figure out what you actually owe ... on what account .. and where to send the bill among several vague addresses, names and titles.

It's flat out deception and stealing and a intentional program to screw their own cutomers.

Macy's should be ashamed. Amazon.com should be ashamed.

No better than simple theives and liars in my opinion.

Deceptive, decietful marketing at it's worst.

I just spent another 90 minutes working to defeat them at their own game ... we'll see, I mailed a check with no bill being delivered but I bet they find some loophole to fine, levy and steal regardless of what I do to pay my bill honestly.

It should be again'st the law and hopefully, it will be some day.

Sincerely,
robert anderson
former Macy's customer.
 26th of Dec, 2007 by   Inna Makievsky +2 Votes
It happened to me as well. I am still fighting with the store to clear my name. I am currently looking for an attorney that would help all of the customers to end this fraudulent activity by Macy's.
 2nd of Feb, 2008 by   Susan Hodgson +2 Votes
I too have been a victim of the 2 account situation - I am finding that it is not uncommon. Once it is straightened out I will be cutting up my Macy's card.
 24th of Feb, 2008 by   Philip Mann +1 Votes
I have been trying for 2 days to pay off and get rid of my Macy's card.
The website makes it impossible to pay the macys side of the card.
It will allow me to make a payment on the Visa side whrere I have a Zero balance, But when I try to pay my macys side I can see only the balance and there is nothing to click to pay it off.
I have enrolled in their on line payment and now they have all kinds on info (banking etc.) and giving it to them was totally useless to me. I wish I had never got this card. I knew i shouldnt have, but sucked into the 20% discount when christmas shopping.
Now I have spent enough time on this to make the 20% discount seem like is costing me more.
So I didnt save 20% on the Coach bag I actually paid 120% because time and frustration costs.
 4th of Mar, 2008 by   Spider 0 Votes
Had the same thing happen. Went to the store, they opened two accounts at the register without telling me they were doing so. They then sent me one statement (for the Macy's account), which I paid. They then applied my payment for that statement to my VISA acct (that I didn't know I had). This left me with a credit on my VISA and a late fee on my Macy's, unbeknownst to me.

The next time I went to Macy's and tried to use my card, the clerk told me there was a hold on my card for failure to pay. It was really embarassing as there were several other customers around.

Days later Macys admitted that they had made the mistake. They credited the payment to the correct account, and said they would send a statement for the remaining balance. Today I had to call and request the statement... it's due in a week and was never sent. They no doubt will again attempt to charge a late fee if I don't pay on time.

It's surprising to me that a company this large would resort to generating cash by ripping off its repeat customers.
 15th of Mar, 2008 by   Alison Land +1 Votes
Same thing happened to me. I have had a Macy's card for 30 years. I fell for the extra 20% off a leather coat and opened an account, prepared to pay in full when I received the bill. I did that and requested that that acct. be closed. Funny thing though, is that the next few times I shopped and used my (original) Macy's card, my "closed" Macy's card got the charge, and I received no bill! I kept trying to contact them and figure why I wasn't receiving a bill. In the end, creditors from INDIA were calling me (for Macy's) and I could barely communicate with them as their English was so poor. My gosh, can they not hire people to talk on the phone who can speak ENGLISH, when dealing with the U.S.? I had acquired all these "late charges" and didn't realize that I still had 2 Macy's cards. I was very frustrated but persevered and finally got the "new" credit card account deleted.

I feel the whole situation was a scam to recoup the 20% discount I had received. Buyer beware!!! Don't do this. Macy's is definitely not my favorite any longer.
 11th of Apr, 2008 by   Better Business Bureau 0 Votes
Call Collection Agency and ONLY speak to the Supervisor. Never give your account number to the automated voice. Keep repeating Customer Service. Eventually you will get through.
DO NOT talk to a CUSTOMER SERVICE REP. Ask for Supervisor. DO NOT give ANY information to REP.
Supervisor should be able to help you. They did with me.
If not call Corporate Credit Services at 513-398-5221-Mr. Gatio.

I agree-Credit Card account department is bizzare. REMEMBER - NEVER CALL OR ANSWER THE CREDIT CARD COLLECTIONS. ONLY DEAL WITH MACY'S CREDIT. AND ONLY A SUPERVISOR. THE MINUTE A REP. HEARS YOUR ACCOUNT NUMBER, YOU WILL ONLY BE DEALT WITH BY THEM.

HOPE THIS HELPS.
 31st of May, 2008 by   Sandra 0 Votes
I am ashamed of Macy's.
I was ONE DAY LATE on payment (good platinum customer for 5 years; no late payments) and they FROZE the account, reduced my credit limit. What's THAT about? Spoke to a snotty supervisor. I was told that "the economy being what it is..." What does that mean?
Unforgivable baloney.
I am slow to anger, but this pissed me off.
In the same breath she says "Thank you fpr being one of our best customers."
Huh?!?!?!
 9th of Jun, 2008 by   Darlene B +1 Votes
BEWARE FRAUD AT MACY FROM THE INSIDE !!I KNOW I AM YELLING BUT I AM PISSED.THEY WILL ASK YOU TO OPEN AN ACCOUNT THEN TAKE YOUR INFO AND HAVE SOME USE IT WITH OUT ASKING FOR ID AND THEN LET THEM CHARGE!!!THE FRAUD DEPARTMENT IS A RIDICULOUS JOKE PLUS THEY NEVER ANSWERS THE PHONE !!!
 14th of Jun, 2008 by   Laura C +1 Votes
What a nightmare. I charged 21.94 on a new card and it becomes a 2 hour ordeal. I am so glad I found this board. The first rep I spoke to had no english skills and did not understand my request. The rep who took my information at the time of the application did not enter my address correct and I never recieved anything. All the rep kept saying is we did mail the information. The rep did not understand someone who I do not know has my information and was not willing to report the first card stolen and issue me a new one to the correct address.
I had to call back and NOT give any information and ask for a supervisor, who did speak english and understood my problem. Macy's will issue a new card and advised how to pay the balance prior to the card being recieved.
SHAME ON YOU MACYS why can you not take a payment over the phone without charging your customer a fee? I will go into one of your stores and pay the balance off, but I will be cancelling the card as soon as I get it and NEVER shopping at Macys again.
 3rd of Jul, 2008 by   Karen Molnoskey 0 Votes
I have a small amount owed to Macys (290) and my payment is $10, I have always paid early. Last month I recieved a late payment of $28. I figured the payment had arrived a day late. I paid the late payment + that months bill, but did not send in the $10 I had already paid. Now I get Julys bill and they are charging another late fee. I called my bank and the payments all cleared the bank BEFORE the due dates. I called Macys and call was droped 4 times before I got someone in India (all calls go there). He told me to fax copies of the canceled checks. Guess what- there are no canceled checks- all checks are intered electronicaly. Good luck to me!!! Not only am I closing my account but I will never step foot in their store again.
 12th of Aug, 2008 by   Damian Grant 0 Votes
I signed up for a Macy's card a while ago on the promise of 35% discount in my first 2 days. Straight after I made the purchases (and of course it doesn't show the discount immediately - you have to wait for your statement) I googled the Macy's card and came across this page, so I've had it bookmarked ever since, waiting for my statement.

Anyway, I received my card in the mail, as well as other junk from Macy's, but never my statement. As soon as I received my card I signed up for online statements too (as I was worried about some of the comments above). By yesterday (5 weeks after the initial purchases), I hadn't received a statement, neither in the post nor online. Just now I received an online statement telling me I still had my balance outstanding, along with late fees!

I just rang the helpline, and talked to the Indian guy. He's canceling my late fee, but couldn't do anything about the credit protection fees I'd incurred (as I understand it, these are only incurred on an outstanding balance, but since there were apparently 2 amounts, they must've charged me both months - I'll have to look this up at home). They're reissuing the original statement which will still have the late fee on it, and the late fee will be deducted next time (although there won't be a next time). I have to take up the credit protection with the (independent) credit protection agency - something tells me that they're not going to care that I've been refunded the late fee and refund me the credit protection fee!

I then asked him to go through the amounts I'd spent (since I didn't have the statement, just the late balance), which involved 3 separate purchases over the first two days, which should all have received the 35% discount. He didn't express any surprise that the total discounts I received were 21%, 20% and 24%. I mean, it's one thing to not receive what you were promised, but it's a little ridiculous that the amounts are so arbitrary! He said I have to take this up with the Macy's store.

So more legwork, more phone calls required... After reading the above, I'm really not surprised - just shocked that they can continue to get away with this. I concur with everyone above saying they'll never shop there again.
 25th of Aug, 2008 by   elektrolad +1 Votes
I work for Macy's and you would not believe the pressure employees are under to open new accounts. This is the least favorite part of my job and I hate to ask customers.

Beware of Macy's and their "sales", discounts and other special offers. If you are using a Macy's charge, chances are you are not getting much of a deal.

Stick with the regular sales and coupons from the newspaper.

Their coupons (and Star Rewards) are usually only good for items you don't want to purchase. All of the good stuff is an exception.

I can no longer take their deceptive practices and plan on leaving soon.
 29th of Aug, 2008 by   finesse 0 Votes
I am also an employee at Macy's and can't stand the fact that my job is threatened with wheter or not i have the ability to pressure customers to open credit cards. At the same time, after reading a lot of the complaints, I'd like to take the chance to clear up some misunderstandings. First off, for those of you who open up cards (and you have a great credit score) more than likely you will receive a Macy's Visa card. Any time you use this card in Macy's or any other of it's affiliated companies, your purchases are put towards your 'Revolving' account. If you choose to use the card outside the store, your purchases are put towards your 'Visa' account. If you only use your card in the store, don't pay on your Visa. Also, unless you are planning to put yourself into serious debt with this card, or might pass soon, DO NOT sign up for credit protection. It is a waste of your money!! But, at the same time, realize that you are the only person who can agree or disagree to it. The sales associate has no say in that. If you decide to sign up for a Macy's credit card, read everything carefully and feel free to answer questions. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Unfortunately I can sit here and tell you that I know a number of co-workers that will tell a customer the most bizarre lies just to open a credit card. In my opinion, if I'm going to lose my job because I refuse to pressure people into something they probably don't want, then I didn't need to be there in the first place. And I also believe that the only people who truly benefit from opening a Macy's credit card are those making large purchases, such as furniture, or those who solely shop at Macy's. You are the ones who will benefit the most. The rest of you, just politely say no. I'd like to stress the word 'politely', because we don't like asking you any more than you like being asked.
 31st of Aug, 2008 by   Sarah +2 Votes
Thank you very much for your comments and help. I was thinking of getting one until I read this. As an international student from a country where no one uses credit cards unless it's online, this has only proved to me the importance of using cash. :-/
 1st of Nov, 2008 by   Lori 0 Votes
I have had my Macy's credit card for 7 years and have always been a good customer (i.e., making payments on time and paying off the account twice), but have been deceived. I went into the store to purchase some perfume in October and was told that my card had been declined. When I called them, I was informed that my credit limit had been reduced from $5, 500 down to $2, 800 with no notice whatsoever. They told me that with the current economic times, they were lowering people's limits at random in order to keep Macy's in business. After contacting the executive office, I was told there was nothing they could do. Now I have a card I can't use, and am absolutely furious. I can't believe they can just lower credit limits with no advance notification, especially to good customers.

Flagstar Bank Scam Artists Call