logo

Booking.com
False / misleading quotation
3. (35 mins ago)
Mango Pure
Cannot get ahold of company to cancel
4. (36 mins ago)
WHERE'S MY REBATE?

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

KLMN READERS SERVICES, INC., Chesapeake Complaints & Reviews - Dishonest Company

KLMN READERS SERVICES, INC. Contacts & Informations

KLMN READERS SERVICES, INC.

Posted:    corn29

Dishonest Company

KLMN Readers Services a/k/a Universal Subscription
P O Box 15187
Phone: 757-818-9497
KLMN Readers Services, Inc. a/k/a Universal Subscription Agency, Inc. has some serious problems. They want to sell you magazines. They will attempt to do so by targeting well-off neighborhoods with kids who tell sob stories of being in accidents, jail, from broken homes, etc., and selling magazines is the way they can improve their lot in life.

If their story doesn't appeal to the Good Samaritan nature in you, the sales person will call you a racist... as most of their targets are white and the salespeople are not. This is a lame attempt in bating the target into making a purchase.

They'll also start throwing Bible verses at you too. Nothing is wrong with the Bible but I seem to remember a little story about Jesus coming unglued when faced with people making a profit off of God's name. It also reminds me of crooks and politicians who suddenly get all religious when they get busted.

At any rate, having worked my way out of a tough background myself, I could relate and wanted to help the salesperson out. I ordered some magazines. Later that night I realized I was paying double the normal subscription price. In addition to the exorbitant cost, there is a commission for the salesperson ADDED on top of the already doubled cost. Wouldn't one normally expect to receive a discount from someone who says they are tight with the publisher... not paying double plus a fee?

Obviously, I cancelled in writing the next day. I got my refund check 60 days later. I also noticed the refund check is for less than the actual price paid. The back of the order form says I may cancel this transaction without penalty. However, they took another 15% from my refund!

Trying to contact this company other than via snail mail is pointless. They have a telephone but the vox mail box s chronically full. How else can one determine if it as scam... using the government's criteria as a guide, there is not contact information listed on their website, it's hard to contact the company, they have a poor BBB profile, a "F" rating in fact (http://www.bbb.org/norfolk/business-reviews/magazines-sold-door-to-door/universal-subscription-agency-in-chesapeake-va-90009857), and the information contained on the website is full of misspelled words and horrible grammar (http://www.klmnreaders.com/About%20us.htm).

Please do yourself a favor... don't let these salespeople taunt you and call you names -- like "racist". Just politely decline the offer and shut the door. Avoid doing business with KLMN Readers Services, Inc. a/k/a Universal Subscription Agency, Inc.
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

9th of Mar, 2010 by   W. Pacheco 0 Votes
I am running into the same situation, but i did pay for my subscription and never received my magazines. The web site is not on line. The phone number you call goes into voicemail. I made 4 phone calls within a week and no return call back to me. They say they put young kids to work according to the voicemail message. They do but in a fraudulant way. There is no way now I would ever buy a magazine subscription from a door to door person. This is the second time it has happen to me. I got my refund back from the other company after a year of working it. I don't know how long this will take to get my refund back or my magazines delivered. KLMN Readers should be ashame of themselfs using kids to front their scam business.
 18th of Jun, 2010 by   MNHockeymama 0 Votes
BEWARE OF THESE PEOPLE. I ordered the magazines and decided almost immediately that I didn't want them. So I took the receipts I was given to the post office and made sure to get a confirmation of delivery code for the receipts. I waited a week and called the place to make sure the receipts made it there. They claimed they didn't have any idea of what I was talking about. So I checked the post office and sure enough, they had been delivered the NEXT DAY. I emailed copies of the receipts, copies of the Post office receipt AND the post office confirmation to the company - my checks, btw, had been cashed WITHIN 3 DAYS - and was told that it would take 30 days to get a refund. It has now been 40 DAYS and I have yet to see a refund AND NOW CANNOT GET THEM ON THE DAMN PHONE, nor have I been given a reply to my multiple emails.

Since the first time I contacted them, they have revamped their website and provide an email form. I just tried reaching them with that, along with the threat (that I promise to make good on) that if they do not contact me by tomorrow, June 19th, that I am going to the BBB, my large local newspaper and several internet sites with the story behind these scammers. I will make sure, at least in my town, that these liars and thieves NEVER will work again.

Oh and one more thing? I was nice to the very nice young women who scammed me: it was raining so I gave them an umbrella. So I'm out that, too.
 7th of Dec, 2010 by   dramakate 0 Votes
I placed an order, trying to help out. He gave me a price of $70 for a subscription, which was high, but I don't like confrontations, so I quickly wrote a check, he left and I jumped on my computer. I found the scam listings, so I immediately canceled the check. Good thing, because he must have gone right to the bank to cash it. My phone number is on my checks, and I got a phone call, with this guy yelling and screaming. I told him my reasons for canceling involved a poor Better Business rating (a C-, at which he replied, better than an F), and all the information on the internet. After some more yelling, during which I informed him if he contacted me again, I would contact the police (at which he called racism, but really, I was scared he called me), he said "Well, God bless you, fat ass". Great customer service, there.
 2nd of Feb, 2011 by   jl27 0 Votes
I wish I had read these before I purchased a magazine from these crooks. I also have paid for a magazine which I have never received. I tried e-mailing them but have not heard from them. Why are these people not stopped from cheating people?
 10th of Feb, 2011 by   Stylinwcu 0 Votes
I also ordered 2 magazines from them. 7 months later, I had not received them. I called and was able to get a hold of a woman (757-818-9497) who tried to tell me that it was my fault for doing what the sales person told me to do. I told her that I felt this was an issue between them and their sales person and that I expect a full refund. She told me that would take 30 days to process and that I would have to send my original sales receipt. Apparently, Sven Murray (if that's his real name) is having people write checks to his "supervisor" rather than the company and then never submitting the order form. Definitely not not order from these people!! They are beyond crooks! I agree with the MNHockeyMama, I am going to contact the local news media to get the word out to turn these people away!
 11th of Apr, 2011 by   Antoine Brown 0 Votes
Hello!!! To everyone out there reading this. My Name is Antoine Brown. I've been going door-door with this company for three (3) years and from experience I can tell you that being on this job, It can be real tough for a young man or women to make it in this field because of other peoples actions. I know this because I've done some of those things to survive in this lifetime, but I cant blame no one else for my actions. The longer I stayed in the business, the more I realized that there are people who takes what they are doing very seriously and the things that I was doing was hindering others as well as myself. What STYLINWCU did was good. She posted a name. Most People Cant even prove that It was someone from our business. For all I know by reading everyone else comments, There are a lot of crews out there going door-door selling books and magazines. How is it that everybody is pinning everything on us??? I've even heard stories about Kids from local schools and colleges going door to door having the same complaints... I feel like the only reason that we get blamed so much is that were one of the few companies who goes to the City Hall and Police department to get registered. When IT hits the fan people don't know what company came by, and when they file there complaints with the police department or the city council Were the only business they have on record. I say that to say this... Be more thorough when making a complaint. How would you feel if you was in my shoes and you did all the necessary things to do your job to your best of your ability and people just shoot you down because of some Knucklehead they met before you was being deceptive???
 17th of Apr, 2011 by   Francis Brown 0 Votes
Antoine Brown, I sold magazines for 8 yaers & many different companies. Sometimes people get their magazines. But until the companies pay their people a wage & take out taxes & stop beating & leaving their agents. They are still breaking the law & need to be stopped! Any door to door magazine company is a fraud. I now have children of my own & any magazine fundraiser for school is done through the mail or internet with advance notice to the parents & a confirmation # for the order is given on the spot. So if anyone comes to your door selling magazines. Do not buy anything! If you want to help that person & give money to them or offer to help them get off the road. That's your choice.
 17th of Apr, 2011 by   Antoine Brown 0 Votes
I totally agree that these other companies out there treating there agents and customers wrong should be brought in. Common sense should tell anybody that if you purchase something, you should receive receipts. KLMN Readers Services customers should have received two (2) receipts for your purchase. If you decided to make out a check for your order, you don't write it out to that individual, you make it out to the company. In most cases when someone comes knocking on your door, they should have a license to go door-door unless the city you live in is unincorporated. I've seen 60 mins and 2020 segments, I even met people in the past who are in these kind of situations. They talk about how there company treat there agents, Here we start with a year free room and board and 50% commission, after your first year we get moved up to 75%. There you only start on 35% or you probably don't know how much commission you make, and you might receive free room and board your first week, and if you can't perform to the expectations of the company that's when all the bad stuff you've heard of starts to happen. I understand that people are going through hard times, BUT!!! Me personally, I cant see myself being used by some company, and It hurts at time when you look into someones eyes and they look back at you like your a victim.
 7th of Jun, 2011 by   Ottoveo 0 Votes
Im Ottoveo, what's up Mr Brown. I was with the crew for a month. I don't know what goes on behind the scene as far as getting what you paid for but the company stands for good. But I can say the crew has made me a very strong individual. It has made me more of a man. My attitude has changed, I'm more of a people's person. My work ethics are amazing now. Like I really owe it to Mike. So F all the negative things you people are saying. That is all. Snfh
 8th of Jun, 2011 by   Looking4Sven 0 Votes
I got ripped off by Sven Murray as well. I ordered magazines and didn't receive them. Now that I found this complaint board I'm going to contact the company. I'll repost afterwards, and let you know what they say.
 19th of Jan, 2012 by   Barbara F. 0 Votes
I have just been checking their website and found these reports, thus confirming that the same thing happened to me. I wrote a check for a short magazine subscription for $34.00, never received anything, called the phone number 2x leaving a voice mail message, and never received any return call. I will never again buy magazines from street sellers, and I plan to contact our town newspaper and the BBB to hopefully alert others, as I feel angry at being scammed.
 24th of Apr, 2012 by   aamerica 0 Votes
Hahaha you got me:)hahah glad I caught up to you down the street tho you punk!You send one of your sale boys to my house again and he will be at gun point! Better watch what door your knocking on next time buddy! especially after homeowners read this! Cuz this time your not coming in with your pour comments! Watch yourselves, Americans tend to take laws and actions in there own hands;)from(Austin Minnesota)... p.s. get good insurance your going to need it!
P.p.s. almost everyone in minnesota owns a gun keep that inn mind let alone the usa
P.p.p.s. get a real job and work for a living your what's wrong with america
 26th of Apr, 2012 by   ing46 0 Votes
April 25, 2012. They are hitting our neighborhood in New Hope, MN. While my husband was talking to them I googled the name (KLMN Readers) and found all the scam reports. I was able to stop my husband from giving them our names, etc., or any money. Thank you to all of you who have filed reports so I could catch this guy in the act. He had the guts to ask for a contribution of $20 just for listening to him!!! Wow! I told him he is working a scam and to be careful...get a real job!!!
 14th of Aug, 2012 by   ventana 10 0 Votes
I was approached at my door by Vido Davis ID Number 7753 with KLMN Reader Services back in April of this year, 2012. I live in Des Moines, IA. He gave me his poor ghetto boy song and dance and I felt sorry for him, invited him in and gave him something to eat plus bought a subscription for Backpacker Magazine. He too asked me for an umbrella, I declined since I only own one. Total out of pocket expenses $53.00. Four months later and still I have no magazines. Their voicemail box is full, no response to my messages requesting a refund. I seriously doubt I ever will receive either my magazines or my money back. Next time one of these jokers comes to my door they will be asked to leave, first time very politely, next time not so politely. Hope you are proud of yourself Vido Davis. You will become the worthless lying thief that you are practicing so hard to be just like your slimy, low down lying boss, Michael Whitley.
 25th of Jan, 2013 by   Jonesy32 0 Votes
I wish now I would have done a better job doing a background check on this company. Like most people a very nice, well dressed young man came to my door saying he was trying to work out his life and go to college. He gave me his company address, I looked them up and I thought everything was fine. It’s been 5 months and still no magazine. I have made multiple calls to this company with no response. I am not letting this die though. I have contacted the police dept in Va and my local police for fraud. I am hoping that if enough people do this it will shut this company down!!! Good luck to all who are nice enough to open their doors and their hears for these kids….
 18th of Mar, 2013 by   Sandy Hartman 0 Votes
On 9/14/12, I was approached in my neighborhood of Fort Collins, Colorado, by two well-dressed young black males from Memphis, Tennessee named Brian Glasper and Terrance Burks. They complained endlessly of the racism of our community, so I foolishly ordered three magazine subscriptions totalling $205.00. Needless to say, I have never received any magazines, in spite of numerous e-mails and calls to KLMN.
I filed a Complaint, with copies of receipts and cancelled checks, with the BBB and also with the Virginia Attorney General's Office. The BBB closed the complaint because KLMN did not respond. PLEASE FILE AN ONLINE COMPLAINT WITH THE VIRGINIA ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE BY CLICKING ON "CONSUMER PROTECTION."
--Sandy Hartman
 29th of Jan, 2014 by   AngryinCA 0 Votes
I too bought a magazine in April of 2013. It now January 2014. I have yet to receive my first issue. I have left numerous voicemail messages and emails with no responses. My next step will be all social media. I will call our local news station, the Virginia Attorney General's Office, and finally the Better Business Bureau. Ticked off in California!

Avoid Online Dating Scam!

Latest Groups