logo

Business in Trouble???

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Kaplan University Complaints & Reviews - Scam charges!

Kaplan University Contacts & Informations

Kaplan University

Posted:    Valerie

Scam charges!

Kaplan University
www.kaplan.com
As a Single Mother with a BS in Chemistry, I enrolled a few years ago to complete a Forensics Criminal Justice program to fulfill prerequisites needed for my application acceptance to UCLA. My FAFSA awarded ALL fees and paid every semester as described in my Award letters. Upon my withdrawal to pursue a classroom environment, I received in lieu of my 3.8 transcript request/report, a BILL for est. 1600.00 +. Their billing department deleted all of my online access to my account at Kaplan and would never provide any description of their invoice, all the while, holding my transcripts 'hostage' for my University need.

I confirmed with FAFSA the THOUSANDS of dollars paid to Kaplan; which were more than I had ever known were sent; as was not the full cost described to me. FAFSA confirmed they had indeed paid in full. Kaplan never agreed nor disagreed, sending 'final bill' to me nothing short of extortion and non-disclosure. And I realized, they paid more than was required by FAFSA in a FAFSA accounting history obtained! I HAD to set up a payment plan with Kaplan to obtain my transcripts, with a minimum deposit of 500.00 to initiate the plan and a 100.00+ servicing fee and interest of course.

In a year's time, I corresponded endlessly to correct their accounting. I paid the 'extorted' funds once I left their program for University after maintaining a Dean's list status at all times and became their first Criminologist's Teacher's Assistant (unpaid performance). They threatened my credit and transcripts to a point where I caved in for my need to raise children, work and attend for my Masters. Kaplan further takes advantage of persons less aware of the higher educational process and I am aware of at least 3 persons who should not have been granted entrance into higher learning while signing financial commitments that they in fact, failed out of and paid and paid and paid, anyway; leaving with debt and their hopes for better living via education very, marred to say the least. Shame on Kaplan Financial Department and their entrance process which in essence, makes a sale and finds a way to collect further for monies not owed to them.

Live and learn. Be VERY cautious of going to Kaplan and signing away large financial obligations as well. They are VERY skilled and manipulating students and sadly, the FAFSA and other financial aid programs. Kaplan OWES me for quite some time now. Anyone with the time to fight them, I urge them to do so in hope they will eventually be exposed and be made to refund countless unknown funds to the government and students they manipulated and manipulate currently.
Comments United States Education
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

16th of Feb, 2008 by   Beth Fitz +1 Votes
I just signed up at Kaplan this past Monday. I went over my financial aid benefits with an advisor over the phone & electronically signed my award letter that stated I would receive $2156.00 in pell grants, that I was to pay a $95.00 deposit (which I did), & that Stafford loans I took out through Chase would cover all but the last $149.04 of my tuition for the first three terms.

I saved screen prints of the figures I was given & it's a good thing I did because this morning when I checked my email I had a letter from Kaplan's financial aid office stating that I never signed my award letter, so they would be "going ahead with the figures on a new letter". (Wasn't aware they could do this without my consent), so I logged back in & noticed they had changed my figures so I would be paying them hundreds of dollars more than my tuition even was.

I immediately called Chase & told them what happened, so they cancelled disbursement to Kaplan & I also contacted FAFSA who told me to delete Kaplan's school code from my application so they cannot receive my pell grants.

I sent Kaplan a scathing letter telling them that they better disenroll me without any problems or I'll be contacting a lawyer. Oh, & I am also filing a complaint with BBB. DON'T GO HERE & IF YOU DO, SAVE EVERYTHING & MAKE SCREEN PRINTS OF ALL FACTS & FIGURES THEY GIVE YOU!!!!!!
 13th of Mar, 2008 by   Penny Vincent +1 Votes
I am a current student at Kaplan, just finishing up my 4th term. I have had the same problem of the financial office changing the payments I owe, and saying FASFA isn't paying what I was entitled to when I first started. They have replace my master promissory letter every term, saying that since I did not respond they were going ahead with the new letter. I could never even get the letter opened, nor get through to a financial aid officer to find out what the new deal was or why it was changed. I have asked for itemized statements, and have not received them. I have been trying to get an academic advisor, and a financial aid officer to talk to me for the past 2 weeks, with no luck, They refuse to answer my calls, and have not responded to me e-mails, plus have kept me on hold for over a half hour at a time when I call and manage to get a live person. Several of my classmates are having the same problems. They constantly change who my academic advisor and financial aid officer is also.

I am now is the position that I can't afford to just quit, but can't afford to continue either. Any suggestions as to what to do? Is there any reliable online college to get a degree from? I have maintained a 4.0 GPA and have been on the President's list for my first 3 terms, and assume I will be for this term also, since I have maintained a 4.0 GPA this term too. I live in a very rural area which makes attending on-campus classes difficult.

In addition, I have noticed that most of my classmates are people who probably will not be able to pay back the loans, or be able to get a decent job upon completion of thier degree program. Most of them seem to have an elementary school level of education, or severe health problems, and are in their late 40s to 60s.
 13th of Mar, 2008 by   jamie Tucker +1 Votes
I am in the same situation. I have four children. I think Kaplan University's account department is a fraud. My account does not add up. I am going to be in debt up to my ears.
 22nd of Mar, 2008 by   peagin +1 Votes
Penny Vincent,

I have attended Kaplan since August 2004 and currently have two weeks left (graduation April 2008). I would suggest contacting the Dean, my dean is Rebecca Hermen. You should be able to find an e-mail address in your classroom under contact information on the far left hand side.

I sent Rebecca an e-mail a little over a week ago however have not received a response. It seems you are early in your education career in which you should be able to get this under control now.

A few suggestions, know how much your cost per credit hour is; currently sitting at $320. Realize every June/July the amount will increase. Keep a spreadsheet of the amount per credit hour, how much you pay out in loans/Pell grants and how much you pay out of pocket. Also, keep track of which class you take and what term. You will be able to determine if the amounts that are being dispersed is being allocated correctly to your account.

Also, on your home portal, check your account regularly under financial service/my account to determine if any amounts are misapplied or missing. I have enjoyed my Kaplan experience. The instructors are wonderful and the interactions between others in my classes have been an experience I will never forget. I just wish the financial aid and student accounts department could get their act together.

I hope this helps.
 4th of Apr, 2008 by   Melinda +1 Votes
I have been going through some problems with Kaplan also. I left my online attendance (following procedures) to provide aid following Katrina/Rita in New Orleans. This went well and I had no problems with them for this term. I was unable to return on the scheduled date and did all I could to contact my advisor, who did not return my calls, and send emails... even as far as to contact my perspective instructors to see if they could do something. I provided additional requests for withdrawal as best I could given that I had limited access to any computers or even phone lines for that matter. Now I am stuck with Pinnacle Financial and a huge bill for alleged late withdrawal from courses. While attending, I was on the presidents list for each term and never failed to pay for my classes... but now they refuse me access and will not send me an itemized bill or explanation of the debt. When I spoke to the finance department for Kaplan when I first received the bill he was rude and would not discuss it... I requested a statement and was denied.. Does anyone know any other contact info or addresses to send complaints to Kaplan and so on?

Thanks. Mel
 14th of Apr, 2008 by   ashley +1 Votes
In December 2007 I called Kaplan after attending since August 2007 that because of my difficult pregnancy I was put on bed rest and couldn't get online to my account. I was assured everything would be fine hat I would just start again next semester no problem. I call Kaplan about 2 weeks after I had my baby and told them I was trying to log on and I cant they told me I didn’t log on for 30 days and I was dropped. I was then told I had a balance of 379. 00. My tuition was paid for in full and I was getting sent an extra 300.00 every 3 months called Stiffen. So when I asked how to resolve this they told me re-apply to school and we will take the balance from the new money that will come in for your tuition for this semester. It made sense to me. Unfortunately with two babies and bills I couldn’t even come up with the 25.00 on time but when I had the money I called. Today I spoke to a women called Corrette Flemming who was very rude and transferred me over to some the Financial dept called Katrina Dudley she told me there nothing I can do till suddenly she says well if you reapply you will be taking care of and she tells me my balance is 86.00. I was totally confused all of a sudden a part of my due was paid.. So she transfers me back over to Ms.Flemmings telling me there should be no issue. I’m was speaking to Ms.Flemming and she called me a liar telling me its wasn’t true you cant do that I tell her to contact Mrs. Dudley she tells me its not her job she’s speak to who she needs to and puts me on hold and tells me when she gets back someone will contact me and before I could tell her I have a new number she hangs up on me. I am confused and irate I wrote to yahoo hoping they can get me my delete emails because I have an email from someone there saying to just pay the 25. 00 "upon agreement". I am not the first person to complain about this problem with mysterious balances with no resolution if you go to rip off report.com there are numerous complaints.
 29th of Apr, 2008 by   RD +1 Votes
Kaplan is garbage. The online learning format is very convenient as far as doing things at your leisure but that is all it is good for. When it comes to some of these numbskull instructors that are employed at Kaplan you are doomed anytime you may have a question. The assignments given are extremely vague and when you do not complete them as the instructor would like they take a huge portion of the grade. This is done although there is no explanation within the course materials describing exactly what or how the assignment should be completed. I have been at this trashball of a school for a year now and just about every course I have taken is being thought by a pure idiot. If you have not done online learning before, please understand that when you need to ask a question and things are not clear, you are going to have a tough time trying to get an answer. And even if you do get an answer it will still more than likely be so vague it does not help at all. You never talk to any actual people and everything is viewed as text. I advise you to exercise caution when deciding to attend Kaplan. Hopefully all online schools are not this way.
 18th of Jun, 2008 by   Angela +1 Votes
Kaplan makes great promises regarding easy access to advisors, financial aid and Professors. They are so unorganized, unprofessional and always have the same excuse that they have new employees. DO NOT waste your time or money at this school. You will be highly disapointed!!
 16th of Sep, 2008 by   Kaplan Student +1 Votes
If your looking for help in solving your issues with Kaplan university, Come vent on our student forums for free.

www.kaplanforums.com

Come join us even if your experience was not satisfactory. We can help.
 3rd of Oct, 2008 by   Deanna +1 Votes
I wish I had come across this sooner but now I am at a loss with them also. They are trained very well to cover their tracks in over charging and mishandling funds.
 3rd of Oct, 2008 by   Larry Boze +1 Votes
I agree with all of the above complaints. I have dealt with a lot of Universities in the past 20+ years and have never encountered such poor customer service. I also, withdrew after taking a masters level class in criminal justice due to a limitation by my agency on re-imbursement for college. Upon my withdrawl, after completing the first class in my masters, the University immediatley disabled my access to my transcripts. My agency will not re-imburse college fees without a grade report.

I had to call Kaplan University student accounts on several occassions to obtain my grades so that payment could be made by my agency. When I did receive a bill it was in the amount of $1, 542.86. This is what my agency paid to the University, problem solved. Not so fast.

Approximately two (2) weeks after paying the bill I received another statement advising that I still owed the University another $200.00. I explained my situation to the student accounts representative and she advised to send her a copy of the bill that was sent to my agency. I immediately sent the bill to her thinking that she would review the information and formulate a plan to rectify the situation. No, I was contacted by another person the very next day asking for their $200.00. I attempted to explain to this person that the situation was in the process of being resolved and this person became rude on the phone. I was again contacted the next business day by yet another student account representative who was no more pleasant than the other ones that had called prior to their calls.

I called the Student Account manager who, after talking with her, made it clear to me why all of the other callers had a rude and demeaning tone when talking with clients.

In short, I would recommend that anyone thinking of enrolling in this University do their research prior to taking a chance on having problems with their billing department. At least, if you do enroll, keep copies of everything you are sent via e-mail or U.S postal service.
 8th of Oct, 2008 by   richard finley +1 Votes
i was enrolled i thought i gave my debit card no for the 95.00 dollar for the enrollment some one took my card and rolled up 600.dollars concert tickets do not give your debit card no i trusted them
 28th of Oct, 2008 by   Angela +1 Votes
This school is completely worthless! The Financial Aid Advisors are never available and never clearly explain anything. They just rip people off and and the chat room classes are a joke considering the online technology that is available now a days. Century 21, a Real Estate company, has better online classes than they do. At $326/unit they should be much more reputable than they are.
DON'T GO THERE, THEY ARE SCAMMERS
 13th of Nov, 2008 by   Almirati +1 Votes
I couldn't agree more with this assessment. I was attending from 2003 until October 2006. I quit for personal reasons, and had no word that I owed further money. I went through over 5 academic advisors while I was at Kaplan and never did get to take a computer test to test out of a class that I did pay for before quitting. I took a class to satisfy an elective that was already met because of their ineptitude and bungling of my account from its being transferred multiple times throughout my time there.

I got a bill in 2007 claiming I owed $2, 100 from Pinnacle Financial. I was curious to find out what this was about and contacted the school directly by email (3x) and through numerous phone voice mail messages and NOT ONCE did I get a response to my request for an itemized bill showing how I could possibly owe $2, 100. That's not the cost of a class. It's not the cost of two classes. What even IS $2, 100 anyway? It doesn't make sense.

Pinnacle Financial tried to claim that I owed partial and that's a lie too. I did not quit in the middle of a term. I quit before it started. In fact, the witch there finally sent me some sort of an itemization and throughout the bill it'd show where I owed money at the end of a term and where I didn't. By the end, I didn't owe anything. The bill even said: owe $0 due $0. I was free and clear. But at the bottom of the sheet it still said: owe $2, 100. WTH?

In fact, I took out the maximum loans for a FAFSA year. I had a $5, 000 tuition reimbursement program through work AND I additionally had to pay a couple hundred per quarter. How in the world did I owe $2, 100? It's insane.

Additionally, before I left they got to me to take out a "private education loan". NOT ONCE was I notified during that phone call where that ever-so-helpful agent of Kaplan University walked me through the loan process that the interest rate was determined by one's credit score, not the usual capped rates that the government applies. My interest rate on a $955 loan was 17%! Yes, you got that one right: 17%. I now owe over $1, 000 and I was paying on the interest.

Kaplan University is full of crooks and fraudulent claims. DO NOT ATTEND THIS SCHOOL!!!
 1st of Dec, 2008 by   unknown +1 Votes
wow thanks so much for all these comments, I was thinking of enrolling and calling right now for information but by reading this I WILL NEVER ATTEND THIS COLLEGE!!!

Thanks guys for saving me time and money!!!

Mariah
 15th of Dec, 2008 by   angelbear +1 Votes
I have also been scammed by Kaplan University. I attended online there & when I finished & wanted to get my degree is when I was told that I owed them over $700.00. I did get balance sheet of all charges & payments but still couldn't see where I owed the $700.00 from. Then when it was about time to get my payments deferred someone from Kaplan University contacted me in order to fill out the paperwork for a deferrement. The person told me that it would include all monies owed, including my gov loans & student loans. So when I kept getting bills for my student loan I just threw them in the trash, but low & behold I find out after it went to a collection agency that it wasn't included in the deferrement. Then I have a re-entry advisor contact me about furthering my education & I tell them I am interested in re-enrolling & once again they tell me that I owed over $700.00. I told him that I wanted to dispute this money & sent in all the paperwork & he told me I should hear something in a couple of weeks. Well that couple of weeks has turned into months & I have heard NOTHING!!! My oldest daughter who started with Kaplan before I did was also told that she owed them money when she tried to transfer to a different school.
 15th of Dec, 2008 by   angelbear +1 Votes
www.kaplanforums.com doesn't work...so how can we get help if it isn't doesn't work!
 30th of Jan, 2009 by   dre 0 Votes
I am currently a Kaplan Student. I have 1 1/2 yrs left before I got my bachelors. I am sorry you have all had such a bad experience. I have been to on ground colleges, technical colleges, military colleges and now all online. I love it. it is easier to talk to people than on ground colleges. The financial part is very clear. It is $320 PER CREDIT>>>> not per class. Most classes are 5 credits, so that would be $320 x 5. They tell you this before you sign up. There is no scamming going on. They aren't trying to purposely rib anyone off. It is like anything in life. YOU HAVE TO TAKE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY before you sign the dotted line. DO YOUR RESEARCH> These bad comments are going to turn away good people from a good education because of your lack of responsibility to do the research about what you were signing up for. Reading all these comments makes me cringe, because it is not true. The degree is used anywhere. Just like University of phoenix, devry, ITT tech, ect... The instructors I've had are really good! My classmates are diverse from all over and it is great to meet people and hear about all their experiences. No one is incompetent, or elementary. This college is accredited the same as any other college. Same people that do the testing and pass the accreditation on all schools, do it for Kaplan. College in general is expensive. At least at Kaplan, text books ARE included in the fees. They even deliver it to your front door! All in all, it's a good school. They are not trying to rip anyone off and they are doing a great job with the college.
 7th of Mar, 2009 by   PrettyinPink +1 Votes
I am a former student of Kaplan University and had the same issue with the finical aid. When I enrolled they advised me that I was eligible for the Pell Grant and that I got it, but this was BULLSHIT because they never sent in my paperwork. Also the student loans I applied/approved for were canceled by Kaplan. Since when can they do that. So needless to say I now owe them $1800 +. I told them they can take the money I owe and stick it where the sun does not shine.

Anyone that posts here and says its our fault...must be a Kaplan employee. My husband and I sit down every month and review our bills carefully.

The last time I checked...Kaplan had a class action lawsuit against them.
 12th of Mar, 2009 by   naynay3000 +1 Votes
I am sorry that everyone has had so many problems. I have been attending Kaplan for 4 years. I am getting ready to graduate with my bachelors in paralegal studies. I can say that the classes were tough, my professors were great and my advisers were helpful. The only thing I am regretting is the loads of student loans I will have to pay. But like my mom always told me "you can't put a price on a good education" and I really learned a lot.

Fight Against Healthcare Insurance Fraud