logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
dcshippers.com
Guy wanted to take more money and started to yell at me
2. (9 mins ago)

Posted:    Valerie

Scammed

John Robert Powers
www.johnrobertpowers.net
I was approached by a representative for JRP and went to an introductory class. They seemed like a legit company and so I paid $2000 for my daughter to take classes and have auditioned one a month.

About 3 weeks ago they called to inform me that they were "moving" to a new location and classes would be halted until Mid-May. I called yesterday 5/7/08 and talked to the old director. He informed me that the owner is nowhere to be found and filing bankruptcy and he owes money to his staff. My contract still has at least 6-7 months left to be fulfilled with no recourse yet.

I call the John Robert Powers corporation and they said that they apologized but I would have to sue the old owner to get my money back. I live in San Bruno and this JRP is in Redwood City. I am extremely angry and frustrated at this company. I thought that I was being cautious in checking them out first and still got shafted.

Comments United States Education
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

15th of Jun, 2008 by   uloma 0 Votes
THEY are a SCAm! I went to one of their "open calls" which are just sales pitches and I got a call back. They said they'd be in Miami in a couple of days so we'd hav 2 pay our 2000 by Monday (it was saturday). I wondered why and I looked them up online. They have SO many people filing lawsuits againt them. A total Scam! I was bummed but glad that I hadn't paid them yet!
 13th of Apr, 2009 by   Robin Hood 0 Votes
I am a former John Robert Powers insider. I have information that can help. Visit my website at thetruthaboutjrp.com
 16th of May, 2009 by   woof 0 Votes
John Robert Powers is not a scam. They are known to help people discover their dreams, but dreams don't happen overnight. You must work hard at your dreams. Every business will have good and bad reviews but remember John Robert Powers is the one who have discovered models like: Christian Monzon (Dolce & Gabbana, Perry Ellis, Vogue), Jullian Nelson (Abercrombie & Fitch), Ryan Locke (Gucci, Nautica, DKNY), Cherina Scott (Cosmo, Jergens, Dockers), Brenda Song (The Suite Life of Zach and Cody), Chris Brochu (Hanna Montana, Zoey 101), Devon Conti (The Changeling with Angelina Jolie), Doug Brochu (iCarly, Zoey 101), and much more.

In response to the username, "Robin Hood, " who is suppose to be an "insider"--there is nothing posted on his site other than possible misuse of logos from the Department of Justice and Better Business Bureau...those links only point to the respective agency/company websites and nothing else.
 11th of Jun, 2009 by   tweety +1 Votes
They are scam artist pro's and i will not recommed them to now one. so who ever is looking to join them please dont you will regret it.
 12th of Jun, 2009 by   dawdaisy +1 Votes
Hey I was scammed by JRP and they took my money for IPOP and I never got to go so I lost 4, 000 dollars and they never returned my money does anyone now who I can talk to. I heard there is a lawsuit against them. please email me at dawnabeyta@yahoo.com if you now what I can do about this thanks..
 12th of Jun, 2009 by   dawdaisy 0 Votes
I was scammed by john robert powers school I paid all the money for classes and put up the money for I POP which was 4100 to go and I never got to go and they wouldnt give my money back. does anyone now what I can do about this are who I can talk to. I heard there were lawsuits out there aganist them please let me know thanks.

8th of Jul, 2009 by   cobu 0 Votes
if anyone doubts these aligations look at http://www.la.bbb.org/BusinessReport.aspx?CompanyID=100063926 the rating, fromthe better business bureau, is all F's. I suggest ppl who dnt believe look at the BBB"s review.
 28th of Jul, 2009 by   woof 0 Votes
Negative messages tend to always make the news much faster than positive ones. For the people who believe they were scammed since they couldn't get a refund for not attending propbably didn't read the contracts carefully. It states that no refunds are to be made after 72 hours of execution. As with any contract, you must read it carefully and understand the terms.

Furthermore, not every single person who auditions will be selected, and of those selected to take classes, not everyone will become famous. The entertainment industry requires a lot of dedication and hard work, and even then, it is difficult for an individual to become successful, especially in a short time period.
 30th of Jul, 2009 by   Concerned Parents 0 Votes
Who is woof? The truth is being revealed at these websites: www.la.bbb.org and www.thetruthaboutjrp.com
 30th of Jul, 2009 by   woof 0 Votes
I am woof. Did you know that many people consider the BBB to be a scam itself. Just seach for "is BBB is scam" on your favorite search engine. It is interesting that the website, www.thetruthaboutjrp.com, hasn't been updated in a while and there is no significant proof posted on the site either.

So, the argument will continue but if you think JRP is a scam then explain how the are still in business since 1923!!! JRP also has so many success stories to back their reputation. Search on YouTube for endorsements from key celebrities like Chris/Doug Brouchu (Hannah Montana) or Brenda Song (Suite Life). Even Christian Monzon, Dolce & Gabbana, mentions his success on the web.
 15th of Aug, 2009 by   cedarius 0 Votes
my children is being called by john robert powers to come in for an audition but i cannot take them because i do not have transportation.does john robert powers have transportation to take my kids to their auditions safely
 17th of Aug, 2009 by   charismazeke 0 Votes
Many people consider the BBB to be a scam? You don't sound bias at all. The facts are clear JRP misleads people who dream of stardom but don't know how to obtain it. They hear an advertisement on the radio calling for an American Idol like audition. They arrive and told that only a select few will be chosen. When the victim is then told that they are "great" they are caught... hook line and sinker. JRP takes advantage of people by misleading them. NO legitimate talent agency takes money from their clients... they take a commission. It doesn't take a genius to realize whose interests are being put first.

There is no financial intensive for JRP to get you an acting job. The ONLY thing affecting their bottom line is whether or not you enroll for their classes. They will tell you anything to get you to enroll. They say that they will connect you with "big time Hollywood agents" but neglect to say their names. In order to discuss YOU getting a job with anyone they must be licensed to do so. JPR has no such license (at least here in Canada) it is therefore ILLEGAL for them to GET YOU A JOB.

Basically JPR is an acting school which has to lie to get you in the door. They offer no service of value. You can get much better classes for a fraction of the price. And those classes are not an embarrassment to have on your resume.
 3rd of Sep, 2009 by   Pissed Off Mom! 0 Votes
I totally agree with this! I just took my daughter last night to a casting call. BS! I was given a red slip and told to call for results. Again I say it was BS! Just a stupid talent school trying to get money out of you. By the way...they are now at 701 North Post Oak Houston, Texas Phone# 713-681-9400 if anybody wants to claim something they stold from you.

My daughter was so happy...now we are just all disapointed.
 1st of Nov, 2009 by   CPeterson 0 Votes
I think a lot of the disenchanted people writing on this site are doing it because they had the wrong expectations going into the program. Our daughter was in the Vancouver program and learned a lot - we had little expectation that she'd get anything more out of it than the classes she took. So far - we're not disappointed. Sure it cost about $2, 000 but consider this: As a figure skater, we needed to pay for her ice time, a coach and travel costs which cost me over $5, 000 over 28 weeks (some of the senior girls are paying over $15, 000/yr with little chance to make a world championship). My son was a rep hockey player and by the time we got through a season of buying equipment, ice time and travel - it cost more than $3, 000. Out of all the players at my son's level in the same league maybe 1 will get a chance to play in the NHL. I think people need to look at this like an amateur turning pro. Out of thousands and thousands of people only some will ever go pro. Sure JPR talks about success stories. Some people win the lottery too.

So please people ... JPR is just a school ...
 21st of Feb, 2010 by   former jpr client 0 Votes
jpr is an okay school. My youngest daughter(13) is doing well but the cost is amazingly high. it was 6, 900 for the top class which is supposed to teach singing, modeling, dancing, acting and much more. we asked our little girl to show us what she had learned over the past 6 months of training and she showed us a vary of stuff she learned and i thought she knew most of this stuff!!! I asked her and she said it was stuff like a review for her.

jpr just gets your childs hopes up and then crushes them when they say they were the best out of 300 children and then they never get a callback like they said they would get them.

she tried again and she got a callback but we are in San Fransisco and the auditions were in LA and they never help get us down there.. i mean no offense but i paid a lot of money for her to go to that school and they won't pay a penny to hellp get us down there!!!
 21st of Mar, 2010 by   dj5987234 0 Votes
What you can look forward to with JRP (John Robert Powers):
I went to a small festival in Las Vegas in front of one of the booths stood a lady handing out business cards. Hanging on the booth was a banner for John Robert Powers (with verbiage concerning acting). My son whom had done modeling work previously asked me to see about doing acting recently so I approached the lady and asked her about JRP but couldn’t get a clear answer. I wanted to know if it was an Agency or an Acting School. I was not interested in an acting school. She only said she wasn’t involved in that (school). She was hiding what JRP business was. The first red flag went up.

I was in a good mood and just in case it would lead to acting or modeling job/s I filled out a short form and took a business card from her.

Ten days later we were called for an ‘audition.’ I thought wow that was fast maybe JRJ was OK.
NOTE: I am somewhat familiar with the acting casting procedure and know when you audition for anything in the acting business it is for a possible job!

The lady who called ‘studiously’ did not say what the audition was for (shampoo, Coca Cola, Toyota etc.). She did say that they had casting type people coming from different places. She studiously didn’t state when these people were going to be here nor if we were going to audition with these people for a job. A second red flag went up.

NOTE: After our JRP adventure I reviewed complaints concerning JRP on the internet and found that the ‘Audition’ word was constantly used and casting people are always looking for new faces (especially for Pilots shows) implying these people come to JRJ to find new faces. From more than one JRP insider would registered complaints stated these casting people frequently simply JRP staff from other offices. I don’t know if this is true or not but I have seen this tactic before in other businesses.

I thought well OK going to this ‘audition’ might give our son something to do regarding acting so I accepted the audition. I told the caller that we had already had plans around when was the ‘audition’ was being held I asked how long the audition was and was told and it would take two hours this fit our schedule so I accepted. A third red flag went up as to why it would take two hours for an audition when normally 30 minutes for a first audition. Additionally, the ‘audition’ lasted 2.5 hours.

We arrived at the JRP office on time for the ‘audition’ and were provided a form to be filled out with a mass of personal information for our son as well as my wife and I. I did not appreciate being asked a bunch of unnecessary for an ‘audition’ personal questions, especially, since we did nothing yet and knew nothing yet about JRJ. A fourth red flag went up.

Instead of being called in one by one for the audition we were rounded up in a room by a guy in a suit that was desperately too large for him (I thought this was very unprofessional) and sat down told to turn off our cell phones given a piece of paper with multiple paragraphs on it regarding various products, ours was for peanut butter. I thought OK this looks like the real stuff for a first audition (they usually take three to get the part). Afterwards were introduced to a Director of this particular JRP (they don’t tell you this is a franchise establishment around the country like McDonalds (found out myself)). This lady Director, while having a lot of good things to say generally, started in on her family, in the singing and show business, and went on about her family for two straight hours acting/singing successes never letting up over and over and over about them. I am happy she is happy for her family but we were not there for this. This was a pressurized sales tactic. A fifth red flag went up.

While 30 minutes would have been good and interesting to hear about any success story she beat us over the head with it without respite, going on and on and on and on and on………… I my wife and my son and many others had to go to the bathroom it took unmercifully long. There were a lot of children wiggling in their seats and sitting sideways with complete boredom about things that they did not understand or concern them. They didn’t even need to be there, parents could have handled the sales pitch. Additionally, as usual with these Positive Power speakers who never shut up they never, never, never let you question them or their presentation, this is for a good reason on their part.

Halfway through the Amway style sales pitch (Sandbagging people into listening to them without telling you what they are about and what their product is is until the very end of the pitch) she mentioned ‘training’. A sixth red flag flew. I told my wife “here it comes” (meaning the real reason we were there). I was wrong; this was just a bit of chum.

An hour and a half after the start of the diatribe in final brute force came ‘Training, Training, and Training!). Which was the real reason we were sucked into JRP. After finally letting us know what JRP was about the lady stated ‘we are not agents!” This revelation took two hours of wasted time for me and my family and was what I wanted to know all the time (requested at the festival (red flag one)) but was side barred with implications when attempting to discover this - especially because this was ‘supposed to be’ an audition.

An agent gets people work, this is what I, and I am sure other people there, where there for - ‘work’. This was ‘not an agency’ was studiously hidden from attendees whom, like I, thought we were ‘auditioning’ for acting or modeling jobs.

Note: There is nothing in the JRP office at all except posters of movies. No brochures - nothing. A walk in has no info provided to them. Red Flag number six; there is a brochure but it ‘must’ come from the Marketing people only ‘after’ the so-called audition.

I asked the lad Director while bored out of my mind with her repetitive monotony 2.5 hour speech “ what we were auditioning for?” She got perturbed and said she talked about this previously - she did not (unless I was in the bathroom at the time) otherwise I would have walked out.

There was no audition, what there was a short video and the statement of a line they provided us earlier and a last ditch high pressure marketing entrapment. What ‘audition’ there was, was an audition to ‘let’ JRP ‘work with us’, IF, we were accepted and good enough!

The marketing Director lady said ‘if we passed the audition” (which she was the audition person) we would be called the next day for another audition. At this point people are given the brochure about JRP. They actually give the gullible a day to look over the brochure (and decide if you can pay) and if you are still interested you can go back and pay for the classes the next day. Oh I forgot to mention the hook. We were told the next week casting people would be there for auditions (they are not an agency?) so if you paid up for the classes you might audition with these people. Of course who are they, who pays them and will they show. JRP said there would be people there for our audition as well, who were they – JRP people – A JRP Director bombing us with the 2.5 hour lecture.

Of course everyone is good enough for JRJ ‘to work with’, they are a business and a business is to make money and they make money by making people pay for training courses and headshots and other photographic cards.
JRP sandbagged me and likely all others not telling you anything about who they are what they are producing until you are psychologically manipulated and psychologically entrapped to give them money for something you were not wanting and were not looking for.

Take a look at the JRP website and see what it is about (only a form to give away marketing information to them). The only transparency on the website is directly below the ‘John Robert Powers’ name in the logo, in small letters (small letters means what is hidden psychologically) is the word School which is something.
Don’t fall for JRP financial predatory tactics. Read the other complaints about them (ignore those that state they are great, whom is writing these no doubt someone working for them). Anything you hear good about JRP was likely written by themselves.

Search directly for a reputable Agent if you want to get in the acting business, not an acting school, you don’t need one but when involved looked into training.
 8th of Aug, 2010 by   EACHONE 0 Votes
EACH JOHN ROBERT POWER SCHOOL IS INDIVIDUALLY OWNED AND OPERATED BY DIFFERENT PEOPLE. EACH SCHOOL IS NOT THE SAME. STOP CATEGORIZING EACH SCHOOL UNDER THE SAME UMBRELLA. ALL THE CORPORATE OFFICE OF JOHN ROBERT POWERS DOES IS COLLECT MONEY FOR THE USE OF THEIR NAME, THEY DON'T CARE HOW EACH LOCATION IS RUN.
 11th of Sep, 2010 by   JustADad 0 Votes
STOP CATEGORIZING EACH SCHOOL UNDER THE SAME UMBRELLA? Seriously? The point of a brand is to allow each location of a business to capitalize on the name recognition created by consistent experiences. Responsible franchises have very stringent rules and practices in place to protect the meaning and value of their brand. JRP seems to have a well established brand. Asking potential customers to ignore the negative aspects of the JRP brand is absurd. If someone bought a JRP franchise and wants to run an ethical business untainted by the practices of other JRP locations, they might want to consider dumping the JRP name and building a new brand.

JRP's problems stem from their sales tactics. If they represented themselves as a school from the outset, in all meetings and advertising, it's clear there would be fewer complaints. Further, their use of high pressure tactics where kids are involved is certain to raise the ire of parents and seems unnecessary and inappropriate for a competent school. I can't comment on the quality of their education or the fairness of their pricing but I think their sales tactics would cause any reasonable person to question the motivations of the organization and consequently the value of their programs.

In reading the rebuttals to the extensive number of complaints against this organization, a common defense seems to be "how could an organization still be in business if it was purely a scam?" The answer in part seems to be that JRP does offer classes in return for the fees they charge, so while clearly engaging in deceptive practices there is a defensible quid pro quo.

That said, I'd personally be delighted if a zealous attorney general went after this organization. Using children to pray on parents is a time honored Saturday morning tradition but this organization takes it to a new level. They involved my daughter by holding "auditions" in a JRP booth at an event for young girls. They pumped up her hopes in a follow up phone call, telling her she was one of the few they'd selected for a call back. Fortunately she's a bright girl. I showed her the material on the Better Business Bureau site and sites like this one. We went to her call back but she went in saying to me "if they ask for any money I'm going to be really angry". And she was right to be angry, they misrepresented themselves as a talent agency rather than as a school.
 10th of Dec, 2010 by   SUE JRP NOW!!!!! I'm suing them! 0 Votes
I have been to John Robert Powers. I don't know what a scam is, but it is definitely FALSE ADVERTISING!!! they make promises that they can not keep! I am so mad. My mom and dad work so hard everyday trying to pay bills day to day but they got fooled (and me too!) into paying $10, 000 for me to become a famous model and be known all over the world. I was told I needed only two years and everyone will know me. TOTAL CRAP! it is WAY TOO MUCH money to pay especially UPFRONT. when you are not even getting paid back.

I GOT FOOLED :((((((((

I need a lawyer.
 11th of May, 2011 by   pinkmommy 0 Votes
I'm not sure why the families who brought their children to an audition at JRP didn't understand that it was a school. It sounds as though a few of the franchises (I heard Baltimore come up a few times) were being run improperly and perhaps unethically, but I don't think it's fair to run a sweeping generalization about all JRP offices. Not everyone gets offered classes. I know this because my friend and I both brought our daughters together- her daughter was not chosen, nor were they offered any classes whatsoever. The school was very interested in my younger girl- Julian, with whom I spoke, said that if there are two children in a family that show promise, the school will typically only choose the one who is more marketable to AVOID the financial burden on the family. We knew it was a school; all we did was look it up on the Internet. Simple. There are success stories, but it's an extremely difficult and competitive business. Julian reminded everyone that, on average, if you are VERY good at auditioning, you'll typically book 1 out of every 50 auditions. My husband and I have been in the business for over 20 years. He's booked many commercials and has two agents in town (Orlando). We know the business. No one can "make" you a star- they can provide guidance and training to polish raw talent. That's what JRP does. And they do it well. It's an investment, like sports or skating or horseback riding, or whatever passion your child has. If you're getting into the business so that your child can become a "star", than you're already in it for the wrong reasons.

Tips to Radically Reduce Restaurant Checks