logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

2. (26 mins ago)
Bryte Shelyton
She takes money and vanishes
3. (29 mins ago)

Posted:    Jimmy

Scammer

Heritage Marketing
heritagemp.com
A kid came to my family's house. My mom answered and she told me that he was around mid-twenties. I opened my window to listen and I heard that he was selling magazines to support his trip to somewhere across seas to study journalism. He said that he had sold 70 magazines today and that his dad was making him sell these magazines. Once he sold all the magazine subscriptions, his dad would let him have his car back. He claimed to live around the corner and named a specific house. Later I realized that I knew the people in that particular house and it wasn't him. He also claimed to know a bunch of the neighbors and agreed with almost everything my parents were saying. When my parents asked him how much, he claimed he lost the sheet in the rain and made up $48 for 2 year subscription. He said 65% goes towards his scholarship. When he left I checked out his company, Hertiage Marketing and typed scam into google, and this company came up with the same story as mine as a reported scam. Beware of these kids walking around and call the police if you see them.
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

15th of Oct, 2009 by   vesledge 0 Votes
There was a 24 year old man that came to my house last night in Granbury Tx. After researching Heritage Marketing, I stopped payment on my check. Same story he lived in the neighbor, his father was a Dr & was making him sell the magazines to pay for a trip to London. He was walking, after dark, according to where he said he lived he had a long walk back home. He kept repeating that he was embarrassed, after I purchased a subscription to be sent to a soldier he said his family (if his mother felt ok) was having a bar-b-que for all the neighbors to show their appreciation on Saturday or Sunday.
 22nd of Nov, 2009 by   huke 0 Votes
They are working the entire country with this scam.
 22nd of Nov, 2009 by   huke 0 Votes
Call the police as soon as they show up at the door.
 7th of Dec, 2009 by   I was scammed... 0 Votes
I was scammed in Indiana by a boy in his early 20's stating he was being represented by Heritage Marketing; he said his name was Michael. He said he gets 50% of all his sales to help pay for his trip overseas to study acting. He said he lived in our subdivision & even pointed across the lake to which house was his fathers. Then, he went on to show me a stack of ppwrk from the other neighbors that also signed up to help him out. Initially, I let him know that I didn't have any cash for donations. He said he accepted checks. I told him I wasn't interested as I didn't have time to read much; he told me I could send a subscription or two to the troops or another family member. He went on to talk about certain neighbors, their occupations & the fact that he knew they were heavy drinkers & sold them the Wine magazine. I let him know that we do not drink. He was still persistent & stood at my door for over 45 min. Eventually, I gave in & gave the boy $120 for two subscriptions. He said he was helping out some of the other neighbors by detailing their cars in exchange for a subscription purchase & he could come over on Mon at 5 pm to detail my car as he was going to be busy detailing others all day. (this was his side job, so he said) A few days later, my neighbor approached me & said she bought 2 subscriptions as well, but, he waived the shipping for her, so she paid $100 & that he was going to detail her car the same day/time. After hearing this, I called the cell# he gave me & it was disconnected. Then, I asked the neighbors across the lake if I could talk to their son & they said they didn't have one. But, by the time I figured this out, he had already cashed my check.
 24th of Dec, 2009 by   jmaynu 0 Votes
Wow! This is incredible that they are using the same exact story across many states. I live in florida and i got approached last night. Exaclty the same story. I researched this company this morning and was able to put a stop payment on the check. The dr father, the car wash, the father doing a BBQ, the neighbors, he said he had live in the neighborhood about 3 years. Even using the same name, Michael. What a shame that these kids are choosing to do this. Be aware.
 29th of Jan, 2010 by   A concerned mom 0 Votes
My daughter met this kid named Michael, She left schol to be with him and they are HUGE scammers, They do sell magazines accorss the USA to unsuspecting people. IF anyone sees them call the police, I want my daughter back
 18th of Feb, 2010 by   chuckduck 0 Votes
Came to my house last night. I am in Marietta GA. We called the police. The boy left our neighborhood before the police arrived. Great liar. He almost had me fooled.
 10th of Mar, 2010 by   Jennifer_T 0 Votes
I cannot believe this! This happened to me also. We were just moving into a Spokane neighborhood and a girl named Chelsea said pretty much the same thing. She was helping her friend sell magazines so they could go on a trip to Florida for volleyball. I have received 1 magazine out of 3 I ordered in August. No luck getting a hold of the Heritage Marketing. Wish I would have known about this ALOT SOONER!!
 16th of Apr, 2010 by   nanobiomed 0 Votes
Two young men showed up at door. One claiming that he is one of our neighbor's son. He said he is a student of the University of Tennessee and is working on a project oversea. He needed sponsor to the trip. Later, I check the student's name (I work at the University). He is not a UT student at all. I cancel the check right away.
 17th of Apr, 2010 by   paige/Tennessee 0 Votes
Just happened to me 30 minutes ago!! I should have checked to see if it was a scam before handing her a check...I chased her down in the neighborhood ( at another neighbor's house) I ask her if she had taken $$$ from any othe "suckers" in the neighborhood & she said "No!!" I escorted her ( me in car ...her on foot) out of the neighborhood. She got around the corner of the entrance of my neighborhood and ran into the wooded area. I was in such a hurry...I had forgotten my cell phone. WHen I got home I called 911 and reported. I also alerted everyone in my neighborhood and BTW...many had fallen for the same speech. Exact speech everyone else has previously stated in their stories except...she even stated her mother was the dark skinned person walking their dog in the neighborhood. REMEMBER...she will ask to come into your home & she will ask what you/husband do for a living. At first, I thought it was for her to come back and rob the homes but probably so she could discuss my husband and myself with the other neighbors for her back-up story of living in the neighborhood.
 21st of Apr, 2010 by   YSL 0 Votes
Same thing happened to me today, I live in Knoxville TN. And I had this kid and a girl knocking on my door, selling magazines for the troops, he had a list of "names" to sponsor. He was doing all the talking, saying he was 20 years old, major in communications, born near Spokane, traveling to London to do an internship for the BBC. They said they live only 2 blocks away and that he was going to do some chores for me, like washing my car or helping with the yard if I helped him. He also said that his mother was the one that walks a lab every morning. Of course I was very naive and ended up writing a check for a little more than $100, when initially he wanted $300. After having the check they left, and I wasn't feeling good about it, like something wasn't quite right, and normally is the opposite when you help someone. So I decided to talk about it with my husband, and even though he found the story weird, he trusts in people so he just told me to let it go, trying to not make me feel bad. I just couldn't let this money go for something that wasn't really a good cause. Then I looked around on the internet and found so many stories just like mine. So I called the bank to cancel my check, they even charged me $36 for doing it.

Please, please beware! And hopefully you will read this and all the other complaints around before you write a check. Heritage Marketing is a huge scam!
 27th of May, 2010 by   GBL +1 Votes
Same thing happened to me in Malvern, PA. Nice kid played on elite soccer team which had qualified to go to London and play at Wembley Stadium. Said he was embarrassed but his dad was making him sell magazines to help pay for ticket to London. I told him I didn't need any mags so he pulls out laminated card of service personnel who can receive the mag. Offered to wash car and windows. Mom lived up the street and walked a golden retriever (I never saw her). Then went on to talk about how this was worst day of his life...girlfriend of 2 yrs broke up with him, had a new used car for 3 days when a motorcycle crashed into it...got stung by 30 bees and was allergic and went to hospital. And his brother was a sniper in the marines. The soccer team was named Heritage, too (should have been my first red flag). I gave him $51 and then checked on the soccer team - no such team in PA. Then like others searched on Heritage Marketing and found all similar stories. I stopped payment but I'm still kicking myself. These people are scum.
 27th of May, 2010 by   Malvern2 0 Votes
Hey GBL. We must be neighbors! Also hit today in Malvern, PA. Immediately identified himself as a neighbor so I let me guard down (Mistake #1). His scam was well rehearsed, genuine, and I can't believe I fell for it. They clearly are coached how to do this because many of the things I'm now reading about this scam are consistent across the country.

Really can't believe how anyone can look at themselves in the mirror every morning knowing they are making money lying to people face to face. What's sad is how I'll have to be even more suspicious and less trustworthy to the next poor genuine kid who does come to my door asking for fundraising.

I'll put a stop payment on the check for like a $25 fee tomorrow but something tells me these guys are pros and the check was probably already cashed...
 28th of May, 2010 by   lily03 0 Votes
They were in Chadds Ford PA last week. I notified the police and CBS 3 to see if a broader alert could be sent out to residents. Haven't seen any results.
 3rd of Jun, 2010 by   Amazorama 0 Votes
Hate to admit it, but they got me too on May 12, 2010. Same MO, young kid claiming his dad lived in the neighborhood and that he was part of a soccer team going to a tournament in England. Damn he was good! With those skills he could be a successful legit salesman instead of a low-life piece of **** scam artist. They operate from state to state and keep moving because they know police check and fraud divisions are overwhelmed and won't bother. I didn't know about this scam until I looked at my local paper today (6/3/10) and saw the police had caught the guy in a nearby town, took his checks and "sent him on his way." I am calling our county police later today and filling them in on the guy. They had plenty of "PC" (prob. cause) to have a warrant issued to see if he had any accounts etc. where he was dumping or sending money from his scam. They have to have checking accounts set up in the name of Heritage somewhere in order to convert the checks to cash (probably set them up, use them, and then close and move on). I should have known better, but I hope my tale and those of others here will help someone else get wise before it's too late. Only good thing I can tell from this and other sites is that these crooks are smart enough to just take the money and run, and not engage in further check fraud (like producing additional checks on your account and using them).
 3rd of Jun, 2010 by   D612 0 Votes
Same thing happened to me in Setauket, NY. Nice kid played on elite soccer team which had qualified to go to London and play at Wembley Stadium. Said he was embarrassed but his dad was making him sell magazines to help pay for ticket to London. I told him I didn't need any mags so he pulls out laminated card of service personnel who can receive the mag. Offered to wash car and windows. Mom lived up the street and walked a golden retriever (I never saw her). Then went on to talk about how this was worst day of his life...girlfriend of 2 yrs broke up with him, had a new used car for 3 days when a motorcycle crashed into it...got stung by 30 bees and was allergic and went to hospital. And his brother was a sniper in the marines. The soccer team was named Heritage, too (should have been my first red flag). I gave him $51 and then checked on the soccer team - no such team in PA. Then like others searched on Heritage Marketing and found all similar stories.These I just called the police. The police stopped the kid on my block and got the check back but had no legal proof that this was scam. I knew better but gave the money anyway.. soo stupid of me
 24th of Jun, 2010 by   mooresvillemom 0 Votes
It happened to us too, we live in Mooresville, NC. A nice looking young man, came with a great story. He lived down another road, his dad was a doctor. He was selling magazine to be sent to soldiers overseas (he recommended choosing one magazine for a man and one for a lady). We bought two different magazines...fortunately we found out it was a scam by googling it and stopped payment on our check. We called the police and they didnt seem concerned and said they would have an officer contact us, which they never did. BEWARE, he was a good salesman!
 8th of Oct, 2010 by   ACHH 0 Votes
Looks like it, it happened to me too- I am in Connecticut. A girl came to my house, and gave me similar details about where she lives, and that she needs to raise funds to go to London for her studiess etc etc. I took a subscription for a book, to help raise her points.

My question is, who is cashing the checks and who is issuing receipts to these people?????
 7th of Dec, 2010 by   GoodOleCountryBoy 0 Votes
I am sure everyone believes what they hear when it comes scams...But, what you have to realize is all these individuals are out to make money. Some people have to work for a living. Since when is a car dealer HONEST, does he tell you EVERYTHING about that car, the fact that it eats say oil badly, the head gasket is going out?Of course not!! AND YOU STILL BUY THE CAR! my point exactly, so my suggestion would be before you go Jumping to conclusions on things, First you know nothing about and want to listen to the Jones's of your next door neighbor, Grow a back bone and do what you want to do and to heck with what others think. That is the problem with society today NO LEADERS all FOLLOWERS. Best Reguards, Hope this finds each of you well and please dont be judgemental. "Only God Can Judge Me"
 20th of May, 2013 by   Villehead 0 Votes
The scam is alive and well in Louisville, Ky. A young female came to my door using the student story selling magazines for a school project that will go to troops overseas in war zones. She even went as far as to show a fake school id card. Meanwhile, while she was pitching to my wife, I kept noticing a 2000-2006 red Chevy Suburban pacing the street back and forth with three other people inside. I assumed this was the ring leader of the operation. She also used the same intelligence gathering tactics that she was taught as mentioned by asking about our occupations to use in conversations with our neighbors. Being a former soldier, when I asked her certain questions about the final destinations of the magazines as well as other specific questions she seemed to not have a clue to what I was talking about. When my wife told her we did not have any cash or checks, she said that she would receive extra "points" if we took the time to drive her to the atm and withdraw the money for her. Even this was too blatant for my wife so we turned her away and immediately we noticed a change in her demeanor. Luckily, the only thing that she got from us was the intelligence of our background. Beware Louisville, the magazine is alive and well in 2013.

Getting The Most Out of Skin Care