logo

Optimization

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Handyman Club of America Complaints & Reviews - Frustrating and unauthorized membership!

Handyman Club of America Contacts & Informations

Handyman Club of America

Posted:    Jennifer Dean

Frustrating and unauthorized membership!

My husband recently received unsolicited mail from the Handyman Club of America. We did not sign up for anything from this company. We just received an official notification saying they were going to take us to a collection agency for past due membership. The letter has no contact information for the company, nor could we find any way to contact them on their website. This is extremely frustrating and should be illegal!
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

19th of Mar, 2007 by   Mary Butters 0 Votes
I just received a second "Delinquent Account" collection notice from John Wilson in Account Services with the Handyman Club of America. I never authorized such a membership and now they are threatening me! Unlike some other complaints I've read on line, my "Base Life Member Fee" is $359! I would NEVER have authorized such a commitment.
 24th of Mar, 2007 by   Mike Johnson 0 Votes
Handyman Club of America. I just rec'd a bill in the mail 3-24-07 for 'Handyman Club of America' membership dues of $24.00. I did not sign up for this service or the associated magazine. From looking at the other posts the same scam is going on all over. No contact information for the company on the invoice or on the internet.
 27th of Mar, 2007 by   Nancy Sykes 0 Votes
I just received a bill from Handyman Club and don't have a clue as to who they are. The bill is for $24.00, and the bad part is I have search the internet and can't find a phone number any where. What kind of busy sends an invoice with no contact number.
 27th of Mar, 2007 by   Nancy Sykes 0 Votes
For all those who have received invoices from Handyman Club and didn't order anything you can call them at 1-800-209-9606, it took me an hour or more to find a phone number and I wanted to give it to whom ever need it. They cancelled my subscription immediately (keep in mine that I didn't order a subscription) Good luck.
 28th of Mar, 2007 by   Edward P. Schaefer 0 Votes
Just like other folks Handyman Club of America sent me a bill. Thanks to an earlier e-mailer I used his 800# reached the club and cancelled. Great site and thanks to your earlier emailer.
 24th of Apr, 2007 by   Ben Chandler 0 Votes
Handyman Club of America. I too just rec'd a bill in the mail 4-16-07 for 'Handyman Club of America' membership dues of $24.00. I did not sign up for this service or the associated magazine. From looking at the other posts the same scam is going on all over. No contact information for the company on the invoice or on the internet.
 25th of Apr, 2007 by   C.J. Grindstaff 0 Votes
We just received a bill also from Handyman Club of America for the amount of $24.00 today, 4-25-07. We did not order this magazine. We have received 2 issues so far and thought maybe a relative got this magazine for my husband as a gift. Now that a bill has arrived, clearly it isn't a gift but a scam. We will be calling the 800 number which was so kindly posted here to complain and cancel the membership which we didn't sign up for.
 25th of Apr, 2007 by   Robert L. Oliverius 0 Votes
Why do I have two membership numbers? When I first joined the Club, I was given a number of 06933877. When I became a Life Member, I was given a number of 30494506. Everything I receive from you comes under the 06933877 number and I keep getting forms and requests to joining the Life Member Group. I have called several times and the person I talked to said they would take care of it. I have no complaint but I would like to get this straightened out.

I enjoy the Club and think it is great.

Robert L. Oliverius
 30th of Apr, 2007 by   Paul Busby 0 Votes
And try to find a Phone number to contact them!!! This Is BS!!!
 4th of May, 2007 by   William Haas +1 Votes
I voluntarily signed up and then changed my mind. I couldn't find a phone number and the other one listed on this site did not work for me. I did receive another mailing asking for payment after I wrote cancel on the bill, but this one had a phone number: 1-800-243-7679 it is in service 7:30am - 6:00 pm CST according to the mailing. Just wanted to pass this along. The gentleman on the phone was very polite and immediately canceled my membership for me (or he said he did, I will repost if I get anymore bills). He asked why I wanted to cancel my membership and I told him that everything I saw on the internet said it was a scam and he said he was sorry to hear that - no static, no complaints, no denial, just politely canceled my membership.
 8th of May, 2007 by   Randy Canady 0 Votes
I'm suppose to be a life member, i don't get any mailing or free trail offers any more. I guess the boss is somewhere in mexico living good. Haven't gotten the magazine in a long long time.
 8th of May, 2007 by   J M +1 Votes
Handyman Club of America
12301 Whitewater Dr
Minnetonka, MN 55343

contact Member Services at 1-800-243-7679 weekdays between 7:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Central Time. You may also send an e-mail to MemberServices@HandymanClub.com.
They are owned by a parent company

contact us
Want to contact us for a business proposal? For employment information? For a general comment or question? We'd like to hear from you. Use the appropriate link below to direct your inquiry.

Corporate

Map link

Directions From Minneapolis/St.Paul International Airport
1. Leaving the airport follow 55W towards Minneapolis
2. At the junction of 55W and 62, follow 62 WEST
3. Stay on 62 WEST into Minnetonka to CLEARWATER DR.
4. Turn RIGHT (North) on CLEARWATER DR.
5. Turn RIGHT on WHITEWATER DR.
6. NAMG is the first building on the right.

Directions From North
1. Take 494, going SOUTH until you get to 62 EAST
2. Stay on 62 EAST into Minnetonka to CLEARWATER DR.
3. Turn LEFT (North) on CLEARWATER DR.
4. Turn RIGHT on WHITEWATER DR.
5. NAMG is the first building on the right.

Directions From Downtown, Minneapolis
1. Take 394, going WEST until you get to 494 SOUTH
2. Once on 494 SOUTH, continue on until you get to 62 EAST
3. Stay on 62 EAST into Minnetonka to CLEARWATER DR.
4. Turn LEFT (North) on CLEARWATER DR.
5. Turn RIGHT on WHITEWATER DR.
6. NAMG is the first building on the right.
 8th of May, 2007 by   J M 0 Votes
Sorry about the comment abuse - I found another number.

12301 Whitewater Dr
Minnetonka, MN 55343-4104
(952) 352-7040
 12th of May, 2007 by   Gary Woodward-Smith 0 Votes
Thanks for posting such reviews. I have just received my unsolicited mailing from the "Handyman Club of America". Please teach all your younger family members (especially those using computers) that "if it seems to be too good to be true, it is". That is something that everyone needs to think about before being brought into a scam.
 15th of May, 2007 by   Cathy Haas 0 Votes
I have been sent numerous bills for 2 items that were returned . I have written this company and explained this to them numerous amounts of times in the past five months. But yet they still bill me. My advice is to stay away from this club. It is not all it is cracked up to be and IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT USUALLY IS.
 16th of May, 2007 by   Patrick Barnwell 0 Votes
I got a invoice from cooking club of america for 12.00 ... sigh ... get ready phone!
 21st of May, 2007 by   Debra Tilstra 0 Votes
We have been life time members of the Handyman Club for many years and to date have never had any problems with them. We get their magazine on time and really enjoy it. We are both surprised and disappointed that others have had problems with the Club.
 23rd of May, 2007 by   Douglas Richardson 0 Votes
I am a life member and the magazine is ok but a little weak. My problem is they keep sending me their home repair books at $24+ a pop. They say you have six weeks to review the book, but in two weeks another one shows up! The only way to slow down their arrival is to not pay for them for about three months but as soon as you pay for one, one or two more show up. These people must be DESPERATE for money.
 10th of Jun, 2007 by   MR 0 Votes
I just received a letter to join up. I was considering it; until I saw these postings. Thanks for saving my money.
 13th of Jun, 2007 by   Rick 0 Votes
Reading some of the above complaints is funny. I've felt the same about the company. I did find a phone number on their website under Terms of Use, about half way down. It's not the correct number for customer service, or disservice, but maybe if enough people call that number, they'll actually post the correct number to call. I can't even find a phone number on their invoices!

If they mail something to you unsolicited, you do NOT have to pay for it. I forget which statute it is, you'll have to research it yourself, something with federal consumer protection laws.

Bogus Black Friday Ads