logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Dealdash.com
Whatever you do, do not waste your time here
2. (4 mins ago)

Posted:    Elizabeth

Fraud and scam

Global Tel Link
gtl.net
GTL has several times said they do not allow 3rd party services to connect their calls because it does not comply with all department of correction regulations. This is incorrect. All the 3rd party services strictly adhere to the requirements of a land line, the number's owner information being readily available, and the phone call can be recorded. No where does it state that the service offered by the 3rd partys cannot be use, yet they use this excuse over and over again to insist that an individual use only their services. This is a monopoly on the service therefore they are able to charge whatever they please with no repercussions. Of course they only accept pre payment.

If I were not to use a 3rd party service, the cost would be $17 per 15 minute phone call. With the service, it is $2.48 per 15 minute call. I was successful in using such a service for 1 month before my account was block and 70% of my deposited funds were suddenly depleted despite minimal phone activity. I will not let this go. If there is to be any class action suit, I would be EXTREMELY interested in going to court over this.

I encourage everyone to file a report with the federal trade commission with specific complaints of over charges. Additional, I will dispute the payment from my credit card. instructions on credit card protection is also outlined on the FTCs web site.

Comments United States Telecommunications
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

16th of Dec, 2008 by   Jean 0 Votes
GTL has several times said they do not allow 3rd party services to connect their calls because it does not comply with all department of correction regulations. This is incorrect. All the 3rd party services strictly adhere to the requirements of a land line, the number's owner information being readily available, and the phone call can be recorded. No where does it state that the service offered by the 3rd party's cannot be use, yet they use this excuse over and over again to insist that an individual use only their services. This is a monopoly on the service therefore they are able to charge whatever they please with no repercussions. Of course they only accept pre payment.

23rd of Jan, 2009 by   inmate wife 0 Votes
i believe that they are a rip off because you are charged for the pre-paid calls that are free through the prison system. i have called numerous times and they tell me that there are no free calls, but how is this when my account is empty in the last two days and i am still receiving the 15 minute for the last two days. i feel that they are taking advantage of inmate family.
 26th of Feb, 2009 by   Theresa63 0 Votes
It is unfortunate that a company would take advantage of an inmates family and friends simply because they know they are the only choice. They also have lousy customer service. First as we all know, it is very difficult to get a hold of someone in the company. My wait time had been 60-120 min according to my phone, so I thought I would try to leave my phone number for a call back. It was successful and I got a call back in 3 hours. My question was that I knew I had $6.87 left on the advancepay account that i had set up, and when the representative verified that the call should have been less that $4.00(including taxes), she cut me off when I asked why my son couldn't get through and I had the message that I needed to put more money on the account. I will try to find out more tomorrow.
 16th of Jun, 2011 by   tommynorlando 0 Votes
Global Tel Link is a SCAM SCAM SCAM -- $10 for 15 minutes of static! I have a friend in Va Dept of Corrections and I live in Florida. She is at Fluvanna Correctional in the middle of nowhere. When she got locked up I got a VOIP number which is local -- it just forwarded to my cell phone. O no, VDOT and Global were not having that, they made some excuse I had to send my cell phone bill to them, so in the end I got stuck paying $10 for 15 minutes --- who is being punished here? That is THEFT. Whatever, I paid it. The problem started when I started getting bad connections, it seems their VOIP server is overloaded, so I called Global Tel Link and asked for a credit for the problem call, the very rude agent told me they do not give criedit for static calls if the client is using a cell phone, so it's 2011, doesn't evey one use a cell phone now? Now they want to give me a refund cause I complained to both VDOC (who could care less as they get a part of the $$), but I think when I filed a complaint with the FCC then they offered a creiit, too late, keep it...my guess is so many people have filed complaints with them they are starting to have problems cause of it -- GOOD!!!

If you have a problem with Global Tel Link, as I'm sure you do, take the time (less than 5 min.) to file a complaint with the FCC http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

GLOBAL TEl LINK IS A SCAM!!! Help shut them down and make sure you tell the FCC that the state/correctional center that gave them the contract, they are just as guilty -- they get part of your hard earned month -- it does not cost $10 for 15 minutes, that is THEFT!!!
 30th of Jun, 2011 by   Zookey 0 Votes
I agree FCC is the only way to go! We need to post on the internet, so people get the right goverment agency, for the scams, frud, theift, from Golbal Tel Link which operates on a license from the FCC. ie:the only people G T L.will listen to! Zookey in Ca.
 2nd of Jun, 2012 by   marthaellen +1 Votes
Oh my goodness, YES< Global Tel has stolen about 100 dollars from us, twice they credited the wrong telephone number, for the charge of 30 dollars, we did not get to talk, they then said it would be credited back to my account, that never happened, the workers at customer no service are not just rude, they are NASTY, just like a criminal would act, One can never understand every word in a sentence on the call, not even the recording, never have I ever encountered such a dishonest group, and yet they are still stealing. Marty
 17th of Jun, 2012 by   Eyleeia55 +1 Votes
I am in Mass.and I have a loved one in Gardner and the calls come right to my phone. No pre paid just right from the prison to my HOUSE phone though Global Tel* Link ! The cost is $2.86 per call for a 20 minute call. I also did hear that u had to have a house phone to get calls from the Prisons. If u are useing a cell phone that may be why u are having this problem with the billing. They may be useing the name but have nothing to do with the actual service. I was thinking about using this so called service inline and am now glad I don't.
 22nd of Dec, 2013 by   Eli gurung 0 Votes
Globel tel link is one if biggest scam company. They took money from my bank without my concern. When I asked them how come they can talk money from my account they told me if I don't cancell my account with in 30 days, they can talk money from my bank. Though I told them I don't want global link service on phone when they told me to put the money on account. But they said to me, I didn't cancelled officially. When I was trying to call them all numbers are not in service or out service. After they taken out my £20 from my bank. I tried to ring but none if numbers are working. They stolen my £20 and so they others too. They have made millions £ and € from innocent people. They should get punishment. Why government can't control these type of millions £ scam company. £20 was my 3 hours wages.

Scam The Scammers