logo

Bastards

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Global Directory of Who's Who, Holbrook, New York Complaints & Reviews - Entire company is a scam

Global Directory of Who's Who Contacts & Informations

Global Directory of Who's Who

Posted:    clahunte

Entire company is a scam

The Global Directory of Who's Who
4250 Veterans Highway, Suite 2050
Holbrook, New York
Phone: 631.588.8620
theglobalwhoswho.com
My business was contacted in 2008 about becoming a part of the Global Directory of Who's Who, which advertised itself to be a networking directory. We paid $699.00 for the membership and were subsequently charged $199.00 for a directory that we did not order. The total amount charged to our credit card was $967.99. To date, we have not received ANYTHING as a result of this money paid out - they sent us two wall plaques with the wrong name written on them, and when I contacted them about it back in December, they assured me that they would fix them and send new ones - we still have not received them almost four months later. They never sent us the directory they charged us $200 for. The company is impossible to get ahold of - you rarely reach anyone except for an answering machine.

I was contacted earlier today by a salesperson for the company named Chris Matthews, who verbally abused me. After I told him my boss was in a meeting and asked if there was something I could help him with, he informed me that I was not important enough for him to waste his time on, told me that he was making $100, 000 a year at his job while I was probably making ten dollars an hour, called me an "asshole, " said I had a smart mouth, and refused to let me speak to his supervisor because he was too busy to bother with people like me. I told him I wanted to cancel our membership and he refused to let me. I asked both to speak with his supervisor and to cancel my membership at LEAST 15 times and was denied every time. The situation was so ridiculous that it was almost comical. When I hung up, called back, and finally spoke with someone who was in charge, he wanted to know why I had been so rude to Mr. Matthews.

The company's policy is that all sales are final after three days. I have absolutely no confidence that this company will cancel my membership, so we're turning the case over to American Express to have them handle the dispute.

Comments United States Unauthorized Charges
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

1st of Nov, 2010 by   Crileyteach 0 Votes
(this is what I keep getting!! Look out. Not sure why I am getting these)

Dear Carrie,

Congratulations Carrie on your provisional acceptance to the 2010 Edition of the Executive Registry.

Our Candidate Review staff is currently evaluating the information you provided us. If you qualify for membership after the candidate review process, a representative in the research department will be contacting you to gather more information for the upcoming publication which will include your biography.

We look forward to welcoming you as a member and hope you enjoy all the benefits and recognition available to our members.

Benjamin Stevens
Candidate Review Committee

Privacy Policy (i cant get them to stop spamming me up to 8 times a day! even when i hit "unsubscribe" postmaster returned it as The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----".

"The reason your mail is being returned to you is listed in the section
labeled: "----- Transcript of Session Follows -----".

The line beginning with "<<<" describes the specific reason your e-mail could
not be delivered. The next line contains a second error message which is a
general translation for other e-mail servers.

Please direct further questions regarding this message to the e-mail
administrator or Postmaster at that destination.

--AOL Postmaster

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... Deferred: Connection refused by executiveregistry-usa.com.
Message could not be delivered for 3 hours
Message will be deleted from queue

How to stop???
Carrie
 14th of Nov, 2010 by   fed-up34 0 Votes
These guys are relentless!!! How many time can I receive an email saying "Final Notice" ???

How can I explain to these people that they need to get a real job? Something that does not upset people!!!
 6th of Dec, 2010 by   marginalia 0 Votes
I am based in Sweden and just got one of these letters signed by an Eric Johnson. The letter starts out like this:
"I would like to inform you of your selection for inclusion into the 2011 Who's Who Among Executives & Professionals. First and foremost let me be the first to wish you congratulations on your achievement.
The tradition of the Who's Who reaches back more then a hundred years to a time when the prestigious and accomplished were featured in a yearly publication that defined high society. "
 4th of Jan, 2011 by   JonathanS +1 Votes
I think it is time that we, as honest internet users, find a way to pay these people back ten-fold. Any ideas?
 24th of Feb, 2011 by   KimSun 0 Votes
This is an old, old, scam which exists solely to sell useless publications, which may or may not even exist in print. With the advent of the Net, it's only natural the scam has also transitioned online. The current recession and the always-resulting high unemployment brings out these scams like sharks to blood. The current economy means scores of newly-unemployed people are posting their names and resumes all over the Net, desperately searching for jobs and inputting their personal 411 on sites which promise to get their name and skills out there to potential "dream job" employers, such as those who read, in this case, the "oh-so-prestigious" Canterbury "Who's Who." Huh? Never heard of it. But I easily found the complaints posted about this publication. None surprised me.
When hiring executives are looking to fill a position, they are not anxiously awaiting, nor even consulting, new editions of such publications -- IF they ever even see such a manual since most are non-existent.
IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THIS: You should never pay for employment. That's the very first tip-off that you should have no further contact and should direct such offers to your SPAM folder. Don't pay to become employed, period.
 24th of Feb, 2011 by   KimSun 0 Votes
Did anyone else notice Canterbury is spelled "C;nterbury" in the first reference on the e-invitation notice? Quite telling in itself, jah?
 15th of Mar, 2011 by   Snurok 0 Votes
They called me pretending they wre lawyers form 713-457-0830. I told them to go Fu... themselves.
They are looking to cheat those who are mentally retarded!
 18th of Apr, 2011 by   John5678 0 Votes
SCAM!!! Just got the same email to my work address!

Dear John,

You were recently chosen as a potential candidate to represent your professional community in the 2011 Edition of The Global Directory of Who's Who Online.

To verify your profile and accept the candidacy, please visit here.

We are pleased to inform you that your candidacy was formally approved March 23rd, 2011. Congratulations.

The Publishing Committee selected you as a potential candidate based not only upon your current standing, but focusing as well on criteria from executive and professional directories, associations, and trade journals. Given your background, the Director believes your profile makes a fitting addition to our publication and our online network.

There is no fee nor obligation to be listed. As we are working off of secondary sources, we must receive verification from you that your profile is accurate. After receiving verification, we will validate your online listing within 7 business days.

Once finalized, your listing will share prominent registry space with thousands of fellow accomplished individuals across the globe, each representing accomplishment within their own geographical area.

To verify your profile and accept the candidacy, please visit here.

Our registration deadline for this year's candidates is May 30th, 2011. To ensure you are included, we must receive your verification on or before this date. On behalf of our Committee I salute your achievement and welcome you to our association.

Sincerely,
John Franklin
Vice President, Research Division

The Global Directory of Who's Who
4250 Veterans Highway, Suite 2050
Holbrook, NY 11741, USA
 19th of Sep, 2011 by   Bingo Boy 0 Votes
This company hires crooks!!! they charge you without even calling and then they hire hit men who work the system by beating you charge back claim . They look at it like this... illegally charge say $50, 000 per week and if they save half of it they make $25, 000. SCAM One employee simply calls you then mumbles, then goes ha ha ha and next thing you know, you have a $1299 charge on you credit card. CROOKS!!!
 22nd of Sep, 2011 by   AJwhistleblower 0 Votes
I also received a call in the UK after responding to a similar email. They are clearly expanding overseas but thanks to putting the phone number into Google I discovered this and other complaints so will tell them I am reporting them and will go to my lawyer!
 28th of Feb, 2012 by   Jack 315 0 Votes
I received their most flattering invitation to apply via the web, and I completed the form. I was just contacted by "Lynda" on New York, who interviewed me to make sure I met their stringent requirements. After congratulating me, she told me all about all the wonderful benefits, including a wall plaque and a magazine subscription, all for only $695.00. When I told her I wanted to do some research on the company first, she immediately gave me their company website (www.worldwidewhoswho.com) and encouraged me to peruse the website, and for sure to read all the testimonials. She assured me that I would have to look no further. But meanwhile, to hold my place, "Let's get the membership set up now". When I said I wanted to research the company outside their website, the price dropped to $500+ for 5 years (the $695 was lifetime "Platinum" membership, while the $500+ would be "gold". She continued to tell me that this is a one-day offer, and, "Do I at least have your permission to give this information to our "?" department (I forget the name), so they can get things rolling for you, for only $195.00, and after you research the company, I can upgrade you to the platinum". Again, I told her I would not be spending ONE CENT on the company until I did an independent analysis of their company. She wasn't quite as friendly by this time, but not rude either. I asked her to call me in a few hours after I had time to do my research, and she gave me her number to call her back instead. I suspect I've heard the last of "Lynda". Total scam. Jack 315
 13th of Apr, 2012 by   BigLou58 0 Votes
My BF got sucked into this. First charge was around 200, then a month ago they hit him again for 299.00. Some rude ass called him today and demanded a payment of $600.00 by the end of the week or he would be turned over to thier legal dept. Appearently they want around $6000 to pull him from the list. We are contacting the Maryland States Attourney on Monday. I will see this thru to the end and promise to stand behind anyone that wants to SHUT THEM DOWN for good.

We are pissed!
 15th of Sep, 2012 by   Daniel Less 0 Votes
I have just recently received a message from this "company", The Global Registry, and I live in Stockholm, Sweden!
I have never even heard of these people before, they must be pretty desperate for new easy "marks" to make money off!
Although I have recently started a company of my own, in the bio-tech sector, it's incomprehensible to me how they have alteady obtained that kind of information on my whereabouts.
I'm really sick and tired of all scammers and con-artists, it seems sometimes half your workday is taken up by doing backgroundchecks on people!
Daniel Less
Stockholm
Sweden
 22nd of Jan, 2013 by   MS-Jason 0 Votes
I can personally attest to the fact that this company is not a scam. After being contacted and paying for the service and book, I decided for financial reasons it was not in my best interest to use my discretionary for the services. I called and expressed my concerns and was put through to the Vice President Connor Walsh. He was very accommodating and not only offered less costly options, but also the opportunity to receive all of my money back. I will absolutely be signing up service and the book next year once I have more expendable income.

Throughout the whole process the staff was nothing but polite, respectful, understanding, and accommodating. I experienced none of the accusations seen in this complaint forum, and as previously mentioned, will be signing up and paying for the Global Book of Who's Who in the future. I will also be recommending the service to friends and colleagues.
 14th of Feb, 2013 by   Donald R. Handy 0 Votes
I received a call yesterday stating that I had been located on Linked In and was subsequently nominated by the Global Directory of Who' s Who in the Professional Industry. The information given me was easily obtained as my resume is made public on Linked In. The contact number was 631-676-7523 and the representative supposedly was a one Miss Jacqlyn Turner . She was requesting membership of five years for $500.00. Thank God I checked this website before doing anything.
 6th of Apr, 2013 by   Kathy Parker 0 Votes
Mr. Richards contacted me from this company. I only got scammed for $40, and the number he left never answered. I just received another email from them today.
 14th of May, 2013 by   S J P 0 Votes
I too rec'd a similar letter stating that i was made a candidate for the 2013 Global Who's Who. I was told to fill out a short 3 question page to verify my profile. Now they did not even have my name in this nominee letter. and my having been on Social Security Disability for the past 13 years wondered at my quote " high standing as well as from Professional and Executive roasters. Now when I was working I did have many great efforts and work standards but that being over 13 years ago how could they possibly begin to know any of this. My first thought in exposing this as a scam was the fact they didn't even know who I was..no mention of my own name or areas of work etc. They had a fake BBB accreditation mark on their site as when I checked the company name in both the BBB and the online BBB there was no record of any such company. After trying several other searches I finally got to this site and saw so many comments on this and other Who's Who listed companies. I did not fill out their page of demographic or company questions. Before i deal with any company I always check their BBB standing.

So please do not follow any letters like this or similar company Who's Who emails...just delete them as spam as I did..Let's let as many people as we can know the risk in these spam emails and others...Make it a point to always go to the BBB first they are a trusted source for finding out if a business of any kind is a viable and worthy company to deal with.
 30th of Jul, 2013 by   subsetsum 0 Votes
They are still at it. I have also received a number of these emails but they have made slight changes. Here's the latest from admin@worldinitiate.us entitled "Your Invitation". The header reads "Global Who's Who The Premier Networking Organization for Professionals Official Candidate Submission".
Dear {First Name}
You were recently chosen as a potential candidate to represent your professional community in the 2013 Edition of Global Who's Who.

We are please to notify you that your candidacy was formally approved April 3rd, 2013. Congratulations!

The Publishing Committee selects you as a potential candidate, based upon your current standing as well as criteria from executive and professional rosters. Given your background, the Publishing Director believes your profile would make a fitting addition to our publication.

There is no fee or cost to be included.

To verify your profile and accept the candidacy, please click here. On behalf of our Committee I salute your achievements and welcome you to our association.

John DAgostino
Registry Administrator

ASSHOLES
 5th of Sep, 2013 by   MissKat 0 Votes
I have had to file a formal complaint about the "Global Professional Network" out of NY with their BBB.
Thankfully I didn't fall for their fake business. Unfortunately, I was so curious as to who had approved me that I filed through their website link and realized they had just got my information -what they wanted! So aggravating! Then they proceeded to sell (they deny they sold it) to Madison's Who Who who I filed another BBB complaint against!
DO NOT DEAL WITH ANY OF THESE WHO'S WHO companies! They are all a scam!
And if that A-hole was making $100K a year at that job he's full of C***!
Best defense is contact the BBB for the City, State that sent you the "Approval" and google!!!
 5th of Sep, 2013 by   MissKat 0 Votes
You were recently recommended as a potential candidate to represent your professional community by one of your peers in the 2013/2014 Edition of the Global Professional Network.
We are pleased to inform you that your candidacy was formally approved June 20th, 2013. Congratulations!
The Publishing Committee recognized you as a potential candidate based not only upon your current standing, but focusing as well on criteria from executive and professional directories, associations, and trade journals. Given your background, the Director believes your profile makes a fitting addition to our publication and our online network.
To verify your profile and accept the candidacy, please visit here.

Our registration deadline for this year's candidates is August 20th, 2013. To ensure you are included, we must receive your verification on or before this date. On behalf of our Committee I salute your achievement and welcome you to our association.
Sincerely,