logo

Posted:    Charles Rocker

Scam

FreePhoneTracer.com
freephonetracer.com
i don't0 know who's in charge of this site and/or service, but personally - i have never been to it, i have never visited the site, i had never used it, and today out of the blue - i just happened to be looking up my online bank, and noticed an unusual charge coming from this "freephonetracer.com" company, in the amount of $49.95. Not once, not twice, NINE FREAKING TIMES. Nine charges, in one day? What a shock! So, naturally i sought further info. There was a 1-800 number included in the info, so i called them instantly. They must go through this alot, because they asked for some info, [that i really didn't want to give, but reluctantly went ahead in an effort to stop this] - so they agreed to "reverse the charges"... And they had better agree to undo what they'd done or else that roughly $430.00 in charges we'd never made, charges that fraudulently appeared on my record from the get go... well, that would be enough incentive for me to show up at their front door, wherever they are. Let me leave it at that.
Someone out there is utilizing this service, with stolen information so, my recommendation is that you DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE. Sure they were "gracious" enough to say they'd reverse the fees, but how could they not notice that since this appears as a recurring problem, shouldn't they involve some sort of higher security for using their service? Get a picture i.d., require some further info from the customer. granted, it's just tough toenails for people who'd use freephonetracer.com in a legit fashion-they'd have to jump through some more hoops, but it's only the criminal's fault.
i work for a company that accepts credit cards, not a gigantic corporate behemoth, but a company that [i hope] is at least up to snuff enough to know when something's not on the up and up. Free phone tracer dot com, obviously for one, is NOT FREE, i have a problem with them having FREE in their name, then. And secondly, this site doesn't seem to be doing what they should to keep the cyber criminals and identity thieves out... i know there's only so much you can do, but more than this nonsense, is NOT too much to ask. Shame on you freephonetracer.com! ~Charles Rocker
Comments United States Online Scams
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

11th of Dec, 2010 by   bruce swartz +1 Votes
I have never used this service either. My comment is that they advertise free information but when you go to there web site and enter the number they then inform you that they will charge you. I've noticed this with the white pages and all other sites that claim to be free. Not sure how they get away with this but they do. Their must be a lot of really dumb people out there that actually get so easily suckered in that these types of scams seem to be thriving. Not sure who to be more upset with the so obvious scammer or the fools that keep paying them.
 29th of Aug, 2011 by   Gaston Flisco +1 Votes
I paid for three months, with unlimited searches. Only my first search gave results. Each additional search required additional payment. I immediately canceled. I called and complained that the description of the service was deceptive and they refused refund even a partial credit. Do not use this service. It is a rip-off.
 31st of Jan, 2012 by   j.rader +1 Votes
I agree. This outfit is a rip-off. They don't give you any more information than you can find out for free. In a lower area you can ask for additional information. When you click on that, they claim to be able to give you their name, address, etc. but you have to pay again. Definitely don't use this outfit.
 16th of Feb, 2012 by   cb53 +1 Votes
Unfortunately I did not check your site first and Free Phone Tracer.com got my money also. Same scenario only first number yielded results, all other requests required additional charges. I'll try the Better Business Bureau and hope there are enough complaints that someone will take notice. I will also try my credit card company and file a complaint with them. Shame on me.
 24th of Feb, 2012 by   Laurie607 0 Votes
This is a scam company. After entering several phone numbers that ALL came up unlisted I became suspicious and typed in my work phone number - it also came up as UNLISTED. Unfortunately, I did not discover this until way after paying for these bogus services, so they refuse to refund my $. They also refuse to address the fact that even my very public work number also comes up as unlisted. You have to pay extra money to find out who is on "unlisted" end. They also automatically renew your subscription every year if you don't opt out. They make that option VERY difficult to find on their website. I simply deleted my banking information and will have to watch come October of this year to ensure they do not charge me again. Long story short: The public needs to know that this company is a SCAM.
 24th of Feb, 2012 by   Laurie607 +1 Votes
I am in the same boat as cb53. Only difference is I became suspicious and actually typed in my work number when every other number came up as unlisted and freephonetracer asking for yet even more money. Guess what? Even my very public work number came up as unlisted! I have been to multiple websites reporting them as a scam! What a fool I have been.
 11th of Apr, 2012 by   coptrnr1 0 Votes
Free Phone Tracer is a scam. It claims to provide information on cell phone, home and business numbers but I attempted to use the service for my business and tried a dozen numbers that I already knew the information. Most came up as "unlisted" or "unpublished" even though I knew the numbers were not which included my own. Other numbers came back to deceased persons who had been dead for more than five years and had not had a registered phone in at least that long. Of the dozen I attempted, not one provided correct information although it "offered" to make more thorough traces for additional fee credits that would have to be purchased. When you attempt to cancel the account you are told you will not be renewed at the end of "membership" but your membership fee will not be reimbursed. This is in violation of several federal laws and regulations involving interstate commerce and state regulations in the state that I live. It is next to impossible to find information on these people and the BBB has a file with numerous complaints. Dispute the charge with your credit card company and hurt them in their pockets.
 21st of May, 2012 by   CB6 +1 Votes
FreePhoneTracer.com is false advertisement. Services, paid or free, do not deliver useful information. Best do your searches elsewhere. website also keeps track of your information entered and uses it to post misleading results if someone else types the information you entered on one of your searches. I recommend not to use FreePhoneTracer.com at all, not an honest business.
 3rd of Jun, 2012 by   Delores G +1 Votes
I had the same experience with the paying for 3 months and with unlimited searches, but I paid for one year, and I only got the first search that I entered. Then, I had to give them my credit card information for another search. This site is such a ripoff!!
 15th of Jul, 2012 by   osterwench 0 Votes

Free Phone Tracer - They charge for full year for "1" number
Utah

After paying 24.95 for free phone search (1 Year) the very next number I wanted to look up was anoher (9.95) .. I cant sign back into my account to make sure itis cancled!!! I did complain to PayPal but if that fails I will close there account also!!!
STAY AWAY FROM THIS RIP OFF SITE..
 15th of Jul, 2012 by   osterwench 0 Votes
Had to pay for a full year ... then 9.95 for any number I wanted to look up...Wish they would put the complaints button on there main page...but oh yeah smarter people dont get scammed if they see the complaints
 30th of Jul, 2012 by   AAN +1 Votes
I wish I would have read this site as well before using this 'service'. I called to complain about the $40 in charges and they would not refund me and merely gave me 'credits' to use as a later date. I also tried to fight these charges with my credit card company but was unable to get anywhere. I would recommend never using this company.
 15th of Dec, 2012 by   Marlys Kundera +1 Votes
Is there any real free cell number lookup sites out there?
 20th of Dec, 2012 by   Gerald Murley +1 Votes
I took a 7 day trial membership and agreed to pay $ 0.95 for the information and ownership of the number being searched, but you
could not identify the owner and I received 16 credit points instead. I started trying to find a telephone number to reach Free Phone
Tracer Customer Service to cancel my membership before my 7 day trial expired but had no luck until now. Since you could not find
the name of the cell phone owner, which is what I needed, I don't need your service and will trust that you will accept this notice
will be ample and accepted for you to consider my membership cancellation notice given to you in a timely manner, (considering
the problem that I had locating the company, s customer service. You offer a good service, but I don't have much need for it in my
business.
Thanks and Yours Truly,
Gerald D. Murley (gerald.murley@juno.com
 20th of Dec, 2012 by   Gerald Murley -1 Votes
This should not be considered a complaint, because it is not a complaint but rather an explanation of why I need to cancel this
membership according to the 7 day trial period and why I could not find a department or customer service person to notify.
And I say again that you offer a good service.

Thanks,
Gerald D. Murley
 5th of Feb, 2013 by   CurtisB41 0 Votes

Free Phone Tracer - Charged Card After Cancellation
Free Phone Tracer
Texas

I use the tools on the website, to cancel, then they still charge my card. I call to cancel, they return my money, then I find out they charged my card again. I didn't want the service because during the trial it was highly inaccurate. No trace was accurate. So this fake company has now decided to take my money again. I am calling my attorney and BBB.
 3rd of Mar, 2013 by   tswift13 0 Votes
Did you cancel before the expiration date? I did, and i got an email confirming my membership was canceled.
 9th of May, 2013 by   scammedbyFREEPHONETRACER +1 Votes
This is a scam! DO NOT USE THE BACKGROUND CHECKS. You will be charged $29.95 and you will receive NOTHING WORTHWHILE in the report! Definitely not worth the money!
 17th of Jun, 2013 by   melissasamyah 0 Votes
what number did you call to cancle or how did you cancel?
 25th of Jul, 2013 by   Bryan McCall 0 Votes
My name is Bryan McCall and this is my second time trying to cancel this free phone tracer.
Please stop this and do not charge my card anymore.

Credit Card Technology May Mean the End of the Wallet