First Progress Credit Card

4.6
Synovus Bank
Columbus, Georgia
firstprogress.com
I got a secured card with a 2, 000. Deposit. Used the card to get a cash advance from an ATM. Went to get another cash advance from the same ATM a few days later and it was declined. Called them up and they said there was a "security hold" on the card. They instructed me to fax a copy of my ss card, drivers license and utility bill. Did that the same day. 2 weeks go by, I am continually calling they claim they never got the information. So I send it again. They said the information has to be reviewed by a "Vice President" of the bank (although no one know his name). When I sent the information in I ask for someone to call me to confirm receipt. Here it is three weeks later I still have 1700 credit but can't use the card. When I asked to cancel the card and send me back my deposit less the balance, I was told I had to pay the balance off first and then it will be 8 weeks before I can get a check sent to me. STAY AWAY from this company. They are a TOTAL FRAUD operation.
Complaint comments Comments (9) Complaint country United States Complaint category Credit Cards

Comments

9th of Nov, 2012 by    0 Votes
Try going to dispute.modria.com and filing a case there. You and company you got the credit card from can enter into an online dispute resolution process for free. You can ask for a mediator to help settle the case or an arbitrator to make a decision as well. Hope it turns out well for you :)
 21st of Mar, 2014 by    0 Votes
First progress mastercard
is not a dignified banking institution. Do not open a account with them.I closed my secured credit card with them on December 20, 2013. Today is March21, 2014 and I have not received my $1000.00 deposit. BEWARE OF FIRST PROGRESS MASTERCARD!
 9th of Jul, 2014 by    +1 Votes
How did this company get an a+ rating from the better business with all of these negative reviews
 28th of Oct, 2014 by    +1 Votes
I have been with First Progress for over 2 years. I have never had any problems except if you ever over pay the card; it seems to screw things up! Other than that...seems like a small company with hard working people. If you pay your bill and use this card to build your credit you will not have a problem. Note: You only need $300, not thousands on a secured card. This should be a stepping stone
 29th of Mar, 2015 by    0 Votes
Ordered a First Progress Credit and submitted $500 as security in August of 2014
It took a many weeks for them to process the card.
I never went over the credit limit set with my deposit of $500 but they immediately started charging fees and interest on my money.
I called to ask about this and was told that is their policy. I cancelled the card in October 2014. They continued to send me bills. I called again and sent them a letter in November 2014 to again try to cancel. They sent me a letter agreeing that they would cancel. They said I owed them Approximately $60, how I don't know since it was my money.
I reluctantly agreed and they said they would send me a final bill.
It is now March and I have called a number of times. They continue to send me bills adding on interest and charges even though account was closed.
They are very unresponsive and I feel that this Company is scamming people.
They are very untrustworthy and prey on people trying to reestablish their credit.
 13th of May, 2015 by    0 Votes
I have a problem with verify my information. I was send three time in fact my ssc driver license three bill statement but when was call again said send again because we don't receive any fax
Wesley Hernandez
 3rd of Jul, 2015 by    0 Votes
I opened with just $300.00, but most of the time l can't use it.payments take days to get to them and cancellation is a nightmare. There is nothing easy about this company. They took off some changes that write identity theft but then put them right back on. I really don't know what to do. I just wasn't out from them with my Friday in hand. They put some late charge on there after l had made 2 separate payments in the same month to pay it off. You can't talk to anyone about this, just send an anonymous fax which never gets fixed. Aaahhhhhh!
 9th of Mar, 2016 by    +2 Votes
They are quick to take your deposit money and never a word from them, if you try to log into your account, after 5 times I was locked out. I have no card, they have my money though. This a problem for everyone. As fars as the so called score of A+ w/ the BBB; I used to be a graphic designer, when people make their webiste or an add, that symbol is available for use everywhere; you don't have to be a member of anything to get an A+ and use that logo; companies just use it all the time. Or, if a company actually is certified with the BBB, the score they get is in direct proportion to how much money they pay BBB, BBB is corrupt in of itself. If a company pays the $500 (may be more now) that used to be what an A+ rating cost, and less the less money the BBB was paid, don't ever rely on the BBB score for anything as far as a good or bad co. It' seiither using it falsey or worse, has just paid money for the right to use the A+.
 3rd of Sep, 2016 by    0 Votes
They are horrible to deal with. They don't send out bills in the mail. They locked me out of their online account, although I put in the correct password. When I call the telephone number it was often busy or I would get a call back later message. When I called to find out how much to pay and when my payment was due, they ask you for the card number and social security number, then they talk nonsense for two minutes, instead of a machine, they send you to a service representative who asks for your card number again and social security number and your address. Finally they tell you how much you owe, but they don't tell you when it is due unless you ask for it. You cannot pay over the phone. They do not send you an email with how much you owe or the due date either. So basically, you have to remember to call them each month and waste at least ten minutes on the phone with them. Better make sure that you do it at least three business days before your monthly fee is due, because that's how long it takes if you send a payment with your bank. So if your payment is due the 15th and you send on Saturday the 12th, it won't reach them until the 16th and they will charge you a $35 late fee.
I sent them a $400 deposit last year and they have hit me with at least a half dozen late fees, despite my trying my best to pay on time and never going above $250 in borrowing. I will try to cancel and get my deposit back as soon as I can. Paying 90% a year interest on my own money and wasting hours of my time trying to contact them is a rip-off.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree