logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (48 mins ago)
Excelsior College CPNE
CPNE failure is rediculously easy.
2. (57 mins ago)
Web 7 Design
Scam
3. (1 hr 6 mins ago)
Lone Star Security & Video
Unsavory business practices
4. (1 hr 8 mins ago)
Tussa Hatton
The agent charged me and didn’t provide any services
5. (1 hr 12 mins ago)
Brilliance.com
Don't even think about buying from them

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Posted:    ross covey

Possible scam

European Lottery Guild
Ireland
This company sent my now deceased parent an international entry registration for a british lottery special combination series. It looks very professional. Whilst the company has an address in the Netherlands, Europe when I telephoned to query verification it was an american telephone system under pacific standard time.

This letter was unsolicited and targeted an elderly man (90). The website www.europeanlotteryguild.com is not accessible.

I would urge absolute caution. If it is to good to be true, then it is to good to be true style of thinking.
Comments Ireland Lottery Scams
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More European Lottery Guild complaints
European Lottery Guild - unrequested postal spam

Comments

21st of Oct, 2011 by   bobceeuk 0 Votes
I have had no problem with their website and searches provide many links to them. An awful lot of what's on line seems to have been sourced through their PR dept. though.
 17th of May, 2012 by   scamm1234 0 Votes
Its a scam, and for the person who works in Vancuver Canada, There is an surprize for all of them and its not the lottery.
 13th of Jul, 2012 by   elgscam123 0 Votes
As a current employee, soon to be ex employee, I would like to shed some light on the European lottery guild. I hope this will protect at least a few people from this company, both potential new employees, or new/existing clients. The European Lottery Guild call centre (Telco Management) operates out of Vancouver Canada. It's employed by about 250 call agents. Primarily calls into the U.K., but many other countries in Europe as well as South Africa and Australia. The targeted demographic is primarily retired pensioners.

To begin, as far as I can tell, it is possible to win money through their operations. Almost the entire database has about an 8% return on investment. Meaning for every $100 you spend, you would receive around $8 back. Take that as you may. Tickets have an average mark up of 450%.

The process begins with the new customer making an inquiry about a specific lotto. Irish usually. The client may just take an internet or phone survey, which usually asks a question such as "Are you interested in playing the lotteries." If you say yes, we get all your personal information. Then, the fun begins. The collective sales floor will call you until contact.

If you decline to play, you will be called every 14 days until you answer, asking you to play. I don't know how long this continues for.

If you decide to play, it's a syndicate play, starting at eight pounds. The agent will always try to upsell you, and usually speaks quickly enough that the client doesn't realize it's a syndicate play. Your credit card information will be taken and stored at this point. From there you'll get your statement in the mail stating it's clearly a syndicate play. Most clients try to stop playing after seeing this.

After you begin play, no later than 14 days you will start receiving phone calls again. The agent(s) will start trying to upsell you into play extension or other lotteries, usually before your initial play even begins.

Now whether you decide to continue playing or not, you will receive a phone call every 14 days after declining a sales pitch. If you're not home, your phone will ring between 6-20 times a day, every day, until you pick up and decline playing again. The calls will stop for 14 days, and begin all over again. The only way you can be officially removed from our calling list, is to either pass away, or change your number. OR take legal action, I suppose. No matter how many times you tell the agents to take you off the list, you will get called for years. There are people on the lists that haven't played since 2007 that still get calls to this day, up to 20 times a day, every day, until they answer. It's basically harassment. Though legal, its disgusting.

Now if you "win" you may never know it. The decent agents will make you aware of it, and ask you if you'd like to apply it to a new game, or have a cheque sent. The majority of agents will apply the win to a new game without consent, just to lower the price and have you pay the "reduced rate" That's theft in my books.

The games that may be offered are typically very misrepresented. May it be through a lack of understanding by the "trained lotto brokers" or simply a lie just to convince the player to play, I'm not sure. Such things as "if you buy these few tickets, you will have a 1:3 chance of winning the jackpot!" While most of us know that couldn't be true, with the demographic sold to being the elderly, you can imagine this works. They'll often wonder why if they had a 1:3 chance of winning the jackpot, and they bought three packages, why they didn't win a cent. The correct phrase would be "You will have a 1:3 chance of winning a PRIZE"

The agents sales pitch is typically very pushy and assumptive, as they already have your credit card details. All they need is a yes. Many will call you back a couple times if you hang up angrily mid pitch, and continue pushing. Some women sweet talk elderly men. "come on sweetie, play one more time for me, it won't cost you much." Again, it's legal, but why would you want to be involved with a company who treats their valued customers like this.

Now regarding the employees and work place. ELG claims to be a very secure place. YEt there have been many cases of mischarged/overcharged credit cards. No cell phones or recording devices signs are placed around the office. This is in place so that you can't steal credit card information. Cell phones are abundant on the sales floor, to the point certain managers are texting employees on shift. The employees that work there remind me of a halfway house. Many have criminal records, (which they'll happily share with you), some are known coke heads, the list goes on. My tenure here has been a short one, but in my time I've seen drug deals in the washrooms, joints rolled in the open on various desks, employees getting high on break or before work. Excessive cursing and yelling while agents are on the phones is a part of every day life. A shining example of lack of true discipline (loss of job), is a certain employee coming into work coked out gets a week suspension, when it's far from his first incident of the like. The same employee has assaulted 3 employees, causing facial stitches. Yet he's been employed there for 13 years.

The craigslist ad claims that the average wage is $24/hr. I believe that's true, but with four employees making over $300, 000 a year, you can imagine how little the rest make. Take those four out of the equation, and your average is likely around $16/hr. Get hired, and you'll hopefully become disgusted with the practices of lying/stealing from retired pensioners (whether you do it or not) and quit. But if you've read this and you still apply, you should work there, as you're probably a scumbag too.

I will be quitting as soon as I find a replacement job. Though I have interest in the lottery, the ethics of their business is unlike anything I've ever heard of. I had never let my kids, my friends, or my friends kids do business, or work there, and you shouldn't either.
 23rd of Jul, 2013 by   belfield 0 Votes
i received a lotto imfo in the mail for the british jubilee its a scam, the address is priority processing centre, postbus 55 1500 eb zaandam the netherlands.
 17th of Aug, 2013 by   tangledup61 0 Votes
its nice to see someone stand up for the truth even at the cost of thair job. you should video it with your phone and send it to the police.or just inform the drug squad to raid the place on pay day. well done
 17th of Aug, 2013 by   scamcop 0 Votes
Warning

There is no such organization as The Winners Data Base Board or a person by the name of Raymond Cole which is an alias for a known low life Nigerian 419 scammer. Do not be fooled by this clown and his scams.
He claims to be part of or related to the Complaints Board which is also not true. This board would not ever be involved in criminal activity.
 25th of Sep, 2013 by   Glow3456 0 Votes
Same happened to me, they contacted me to play and out of weariness I paid the £8 and started receiving more calls to play more when I haven't exhausted the £8 then my bank called me telling me ELG attempted to remove £35 pounds from my act twice luckily for me my act was running zero so they couldn't remove any money. When I called to complain, an elderly woman with Indian accent picked it up, I ve cancelled my debit card and requested a new. Stay away from them
Scammers.