logo

Uniblue "Registry Booster"
market/phishing scam
4. (17 mins ago)
Jimmy Buffetts
Awful food and unhappy staff
5. (18 mins ago)

Posted:    Mike

Fraud

CONSECO LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY
Texas
In 1994 I purchased a Conseco Life Insurance policy (at that time known as Massachusetts General Life) for $176, 266. Since then, I have paid $20, 000 on the policy. Beginning in 2001 I was told that the policy would pay for itself on the interest accumulated. In October 2008 I received a letter from Conseco saying that "Due to administration issues related to my policy”, I have not been informed that my “policy is under funded”. They further state that “additional premiums are required". They informed me that my policy is underfunded by $7, 400 and that I must pay them in 60 days in order for my policy to continue in the manner agreed upon in 1994. In addition, I must begin making premium payments beginning in January of 2009 in the amount of $99.60 per month for the rest of my life in order for this policy to remain in effect.
Comments United States Health & Life Insurance
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More Conseco Life Insurance complaints
Conseco Life Insurance - Unfair Demands

Comments

9th of Dec, 2008 by   goingeast2 0 Votes
This happened to me as well, Suddenly I get a notice that I must come up with over $14, 000 by next month in order to keep my policy in force. It was a paid up policy. If it is interest related, then they should have informed me of this long ago so that I could have made monthly payments. As it is, how many people can come up with this much money on the spot--especially when you have thought all this time your policy was paid up? Insurance commissioner, please take a look.
 24th of Dec, 2008 by   Mike 0 Votes
I am the original poster in this thread. Here's an update. After filing a complaint with the Texas Department of Insurance and experiencing several angry phone calls with Conseco, I received a letter in the mail this week stating:

We are writing to notify you that at this time, you may temporarily disregard all previous notices sent to you (snip) regarding your policy. We apologize for any confusion you may have experienced.

So, in essence, they are saying that they are backing off "temporarily" and that they are sorry for the "confusion" that they caused me. I'm wondering if anyone else who has gone after them has received a similar notice. Also, the letter further goes on to say that they are conducting a "review" which will be completed on March 31, 2009. Sounds like they are giving me three more months.

Unfortunately, I have both a life policy and annuity with these losers. I plan on getting out of both policies (taking a $4, 000) surrender penalty and getting with a reputable company.

MM
 2nd of Feb, 2009 by   ms. mcphail 0 Votes
Hi,
I am writing to state my issues w/ Conseco Life Insurance. I was given the run around about my policy, when I applied for s surrender of Policy. I too was informed by the company about an under payment at which time I was experieincing a hardship. I requested a loan and was told that the paper work was not recieved then I was told that my policy was not elgible for a loan. I was told by three different reps that I had a surrender value of $4100.00, the company gave me differnet dates on the disbursemnts. I am going to file a complaiint with my State Inusurance Commisioners Office here in Georgia. The reps including Customers Relations was in consistent from the first date I called back in December. Each time I was given different inof about MY MONEY!!!I recommend that all of you do as I did and request to have your monies surrendered. Be sure to get the amount s quoted befroe you submit your request, you need to specify in your request that you are aware of the moratorium but due to your situation you need the funds and must surrender. ( I was on the verge of a eviction) to this day I have not recieved all of my money. I was told by a rep that she destroyed all of my request but kept the Surrender Form, because she did not see the $4100. I told her they need to get me my money, I have called and no one has returend any of my calls. I have sent emails as well and not one response.
 28th of Feb, 2009 by   vniet 0 Votes
Wow this Company has got to go! I am also going through a difficult issue with Conseco. In December 08 I called to cancel my cancer policy. The settlement owed to me after 11 years was 1844.04.
They told me to sign my maiden name since the policy was initially that. I received a letter saying enclosed is the check of 1844. blah blah blah, and NO CHECK was in the envelope. I call and they're like oh yeah the check was cancelled due to name discrepency! WTF? So I send the new signature and they receive it. After other calls and wondering if everything was fixed, I get a check for freakin 7dollars and 87cents!!! I wrote their fraud division, I will write and call everyone I have to. I am not letting this go. It is almost March 09 and they are still screwing with me!
 16th of Mar, 2009 by   Kathy Hudson 0 Votes
I have a policy with this company also and recieved the same letter saying my premiums were going to double but when I called to have an agent come out to talk with me about this no one has contacted me and they stopped taking the premiums out .Does anyone know what we are suppose to do to get at least some of our money back.
 9th of Sep, 2009 by   KarenMaureen 0 Votes
I had originally purchased policies from Philadelphia Life Insurance Company back in the 70's and never had a problem until the company was acquired by Conseco. One of the problems I had was with the 30 day grace period and even though I mailed my payments in a reasonable amount of time within the grace period, twice policies were cancelled because they claimed I didn't get the money in on time. Both times I had to produce the cancelled check to prove they received the premium within the time allowed. Once they received proof, they reinstated the policies. I really think this was their way of trying to get rid of "the little guy" like me since the policies were a carryover from PHILCO and small ($25, 000 each). Also, I had the same issues with another policy regarding coming up with more premium on my policies like the stories noted here. Finally I just got fed up and cancelled that one.

I must also add the last time I heard from my agent must have been at least 10 years ago. I called Conseco and complained a few times and requested a new agent but their answer was they don't switch agents and they did not offer to contact the agent to ask him to call me!

I recommend that anyone who thinks about buying insurance from Conseco shop around as from years of experience with them, I can tell you it is not worth the aggravation!
 26th of Dec, 2009 by   AdelBarrio 0 Votes

Carmel, IN 46082-1960

Dear Sir:

RE: Policy Number: 0702R07911
Insured Name: Alfonso C Del Barrio

/At this point in time I am a frustrated and a very angry policyholder. Someone needs to call me to make an appointment with me personally to discuss where I stand with Conseco Life Insurance. For many years I have been a loyal and punctual customer of yours. Now is the time for me to enjoy my life and instead I am facing the possibility of having my policy cancelled through no fault of my own.

Mr. Juan M. Chiw is my agent who lives in San Antonio, Texas yet I live in Laredo, Texas. The only time that I met him was when he was named my agent. Mr original agent Mr. Reyes had moved from Laredo. Once I did so I never heard from him again. Is this standard procedure with all of your agents?

I have received several letters from your company regarding aforementioned policy. Among them a form “Request to Surrender for Net Cash Value” yet you do not mention what the cash value is.

When this policy was changed to the current plan, your agent, Mr. Chiw had phoned me asking if I was available since he was driving from San Antonio, Texas, specifically to visit with me at the company’s request since the policy had to be changed to another plan. Obviously, this was the first fleecing and now you are requesting more money to keep the policy in force. This second fleecing has cost me in excess of $35, 000.00 in premiums.

Considering you or your agent’s conduct, I will seek the advice of the State Board of Insurance and/or an attorney to give me some guidance prior to signing any more documents. It is hard to fathom from your report of 2007 where there was in excess of $4, 000.00 in cash value up the present date. Could it be that my age was a factor?

I regret that all the correspondence I receive from you does not have a single person’s name or a signature. I can only assume these are all form letters where the addressee’s name is fed into the printer, printed, and mailed out. Again, this just proves to me a lack of professionalism on your part. I have had numerous conversations with Gail in regards to other options that are available to me and I have yet to receive a response from her or anyone else for that matter.

In closing, I am asking you to consider refunding to me a major portion of the premiums that I have paid out to Conseco Life Insurance over the years, with this and the prior policy.

Sincerely,

Alfonso C. del Barrio
Sent to C. James Prieur, CEO, Edward J. Bonach, EVP & CFO, John R. Klein, SVP & CAO, Steven M Stecher, Pres Conseco Ins Group
 1st of Apr, 2010 by   Alabama State Employee 0 Votes
I would like to say, thanks to the reviewers who where previous customers of Conseco Solutions. I'm employed with the State Of Alabama and Conseco Solution was onsite selling there product and tried to pitch me the sales pitch; that if I didn't use my policy over a 20 year period that my money, I paid in would be reimburse and he also encourage me to drop Aflac whom I'm currently with. I took the representive card and his literature and decided to do some detail research. I want to thank everyone on here for not, letting me make a mistake with this company. I work hard for my income and I want my income to work for me. This loser of a company are out to inflate there profits. It just took me viewing the Limitation and Exclusions section of both there Cancer & Heart Policy. TOO MUCH RED TAPE TO GET YOUR ILLNESS PAID. I'M HAPPY I DONE THE RESEARCH NOW, RATHER IN MY HOSPITAL BED.
 2nd of May, 2010 by   K Stewart Bradenton Fl 0 Votes
Dealing with this company has been the WORST experience of my life. My youngest daughter (age 30) was found dead on 12-21-09 & it has been a nightmare trying to file a claim on the policy that I took out in 1997 (along with 6 other policies on our family including myself). We had to wait for autopsy & tox reports before getting a death certificate issued which was just issued on 4-9-10. I get told different things by every rep that I spoke with by phone & by email. Now since I have filed a claim, the employees that I thought I could count on won't even talk to me now (I am assumming they have been told not to). THIS IS THE BIGGEST NIGHTMARE!!! I will NEVER recommend this company to anyone! I have tried to reach Mr. Prieur CEO of company & get blocked by employees everytime! They pass you around like a bad potatoe over & over again. All reps that I have spoken with re: my claim has said they will settle the claim within 20 calendar days - which was up last Friday 4-30-10 & still NOTHING. I even called Conseco 10 days after sending the death cert to them (I sent it certified retn recpt req'd) to see if there was anything else that was needed. After reps stalling on phone & saying give me a moment to look things over (and all they were doing was reading all the notes on the acct) they would say my claim was being processed & when I pushed them to try & find out if any prob's, they would just keep saying my claim was being processed. Every single rep that I have s/w except for one do not sound like they are from this country. I have a very hard time understanding them. Please - be smarter than me! DO NOT TAKE OUT INS. WITH THIS COMPANY! You will regret it as I do!!
 12th of Jul, 2010 by   IowaChick10 0 Votes
I have just had a hell of a time with this company and getting my money. I have an annuity from my grandmother, who passed away last year, for over 30k to begin with. It takes sometimes two to three weeks to get a damn check in the mail, whereas other companys take days. Talk about a pain in my ass, especially when you are expecting or need the money in a jiff. I would never personally take out any type of money arrangement with this company. You suck Conseco!!
 25th of Jul, 2010 by   cinday 0 Votes
I also inherited a Conseco annuity from my mother. I called about 6 times to see if I can roll the money over into an inherited IRA. Every time I called I was told something different. I am trying to fill out the claim form but there is no provision in the form for this option so I have to write in what I want to do. I also have to take mom's RMD for this year before the account can be transferred. Consequently this is taking some time to figure all this out and they have been very unhelpful due to the phone support (general 800 number no specialists). Every other annuity company (4 others in all) gave me a personal contact to work through with direct line access.

After finally setting up the inherited IRA at another institution, I hear from Conseco that if I don't fill out their claim paper work and get it to them by Aug 7 (less than 4 months from my mother's death) they will send the account to abandoned property.
 30th of Jul, 2010 by   roadiemanchild 0 Votes
My son worked for Bankers Life which is a subsidiary of Conseco Life. He sold a policy and did not receive his commission. I will write to California Insurance board but dout if anything happens. Poisner is running for governor. My son is doomed!!!
 25th of Nov, 2010 by   Sandra Lancaster 0 Votes
I had Conseco Life Insurance because a swindler sold it to me via door to door sales.
Worst decision I ever made! I later shopped all the usual avenues and then ended up getting great help from YourLifeSolution.com.

I love the agent there and it only took about 30 seconds to get a quote. I had a policy in about 5 weeks. I'm so grateful somone showed me what a rip-off Conseco life insurance is.
 30th of Jun, 2011 by   motherficore 0 Votes
I too am trying to collect on a whole life insurance policy. The date of death was 4 months ago and they are still running around on me. They want this document and then that document and then another document. Every time I comply they say 20 days, and in 20 some days they ask for something else. I am sooo over this place and will now write the insurance commissioner. The customer service is a nightmare and they have to put you on hold for every question you have. Iam very upset.
 3rd of Jan, 2013 by   M.Louise Brown 0 Votes
I have contacted Conseco 6 times since December 12, 2012 for a form to surrender a policy for $923.00. Every agent I have spoken with has a story regarding how the form is late in the mail due to the Christmas Rush. I have called them over and over and have never received the form to surrender the policy. When I call, the agents/customer service wants to sell you another unit of insurance. How can the mail be late from New York to New York when I have received mail the next day from other nearby states? What I plan to do now is write the NYS Dept. of Insurance and file a complaint against them. For a simple $923.00 that I have in a policy from 1995, there should be no problem with a surrender of this policy. Of course, I need the funds or else would not bother surrendering the policy. Also, whenever I write them they tell me that I have an irrevocable beneficiary listed on the policy. Since when are beneficiaries "irrevocable". I always thought when you have a policy, you have the right to change your beneficiary as you like. This Company, as I am reading from your fellow subscribers, is a scam and should be looked into by the proper Attorneys General of your respective states. By Maritza Brown, Brooklyn, NY

How to Save Even if Missed Cash for Appliance Clunkers